Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Three Seconds: Interesting Links

Hi all,

Peppermill has asked that we have a thread devoted to fun, useful, and interesting links related to Three Seconds. This will make it possible to browse the links without having to search through all the posts in a discussion thread to find them! If you have a link (related to our book) that you want to share with the group, please post it here. Thanks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill

Re: Three Seconds: Interesting Links

OOPS!  I didn't get by with being anonymous about this request!  lol

Really, though, it was this post that led me to ask Rachel for this thread which she has so obligingly provided us:

mommybooknerd:  I actually went online to look up pictures of Stockholm and other places they speak of to get a better sense of what it looks like there, so I felt more connected to the book and characters.  It was out of my point of reference and when I did that it made the story so much richer!

I don't know if MBN has any links that she would like to call to our attention.  Knowing me, I'll eventually have some -- even if only pictures of some of the firearms, which are like "Greek" to me unless I go find some information.  I hope others of you will as well -- and I know many of you dislike pausing in the middle of the discussion threads, so I thank Rachel for this thread.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Rachel-K

Well, good. We have all cited our sources. The librarian in me is pleased.

Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott

Oh this is a fantastic idea!  I did my first lookup for the book when I wanted to see how much a kronos converted into an American dollar.  Just that one little thing brought the money part into perspective.  I agree that learning a bit about the country in which a book is set can help you emerse yourself more into the story. (I do have to admit, though, I stumble over a lot of the location names simply because I'm not sure how some vowels are pronounced in Sweden...ah ha! my next assignment!)

Here's an interesting link about the country of Sweden: http://www.sweden.se/

~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Rachel-K wrote:

Hi all,

Peppermill has asked that we have a thread devoted to fun, useful, and interesting links related to Three Seconds. This will make it possible to browse the links without having to search through all the posts in a discussion thread to find them! If you have a link (related to our book) that you want to share with the group, please post it here. Thanks!

Pepper thought she could slip by Rachel..Glad this Thread was created..Thank you DebsScott for the link...Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Stockholm   This has some nice pis of Stockholm on the cover...just an easy thing to peek at to get the idea of what it looks like!

You are the author of your own life story.
Contributor
IandSsmom
0 Kudos

Thank you for this it will be so helpful while reading the book!

Peppermill

Re: Three Seconds: Interesting Links -- The Murder Weapon

[ Edited ]

Radom"Your VIS (sometimes called a 'Radom') is a very well designed handgun based on the John M. Browning M1911. It was the standard pistol of the Polish Military prior to WWII. The one's manufactured for the Polish Army from 1935 to 1939, had a much higher quality than the later one's made for the Nazis.

"When the Nazis invaded Poland in September, 1939, they took over the manufacture of the VIS and issued it as a secondary firearm for the Nazi Army.

"Yours bears a Waffenampt (German acceptance mark), so it was made sometime between late 1939 and early 1945.

"The caliber is standard 9mm (Luger/Parabellum)."

(Bold added.)

For more.

Another interesting page on the Radom from the same site.

From Wikipedia:

“Vis (Polish designation pistolet wz. 35 Vis, German designation 9 mm Pistole 35(p), often called incorrectly Radom in English sources) is a 9 mm caliber, single-action, semi-automatic pistol. Originally designed by Piotr Wilniewczyc and Jan Skrzypiński in 1930 at the Fabryka Broni (Weapon Factory) Łucznik Arms Factory in Radom under Director Kazimierz Ołdakowski, it was adopted in 1935 as the standard handgun of the Polish Army. Considered by many to be one of the finest handguns ever produced, it is highly prized among collectors of firearms.”

(Heads up thought:  YOU MAY WANT TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE IF YOU "REPLY" TO THIS MESSAGE WITH A LINK ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Thanks Peppermill and others who have added links. This is very helpful.

CAG
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

Superintendent Ewert Grens, stops his car halfway across the bridge to Lidingo on his way to the nursing home he visited often when his wife was alive and also, after her death.

New bridge to Lidingo, Old bridge is on the right.

Frequent Contributor
nbmars

I love this thread!  This is a link to a really informative interview with the authors:

http://therapsheet.blogspot.com/2010/10/collaborating-in-darkness-part-i.html

Peppermill
0 Kudos

nbmars wrote:

I love this thread!  This is a link to a really informative interview with the authors:

http://therapsheet.blogspot.com/2010/10/collaborating-in-darkness-part-i.html

Thanks, nbmars!
I just read BOTH sections of the interview and feel the time spent well worthwhile.
Pepper
Peppermill

Re: Three Seconds: Interesting Links -- Sweden and Poland

[ Edited ]

I needed to understand the geographic proximity of Sweden and Poland:

map sweden and poland

Relative locations of Sweden and Poland.

A map showing driving distance between a couple of cities, one in Poland and one in Sweden.

I haven't played with this to figure out if ones more interesting to our story might be calculated.

Okay, entering Warsaw and Stockholm yields a distance of 580 miles (but not certain what that means across the water).

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

A general Thank tou for these wonderful Links,,I have one that I subscribe too. All Authors are European I am fascinated by the wealth of information   www.murderiseverywhere.blogspot.com                                           

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Very interesting and eye opening links thanks so much all of you for making this novel closer to me by these visuals 

Inspired Contributor
high96

Apparently prison is pretty laid back in Sweden:

http://www.kriminalvarden.se/sv/English/Prison/

There is also a pdf file of Basic Facts pamphlet of the Swedish Prison system with some statistics. 

http://www.kriminalvarden.se/sv/English/Documents/

Very interesting to read.

"I don't like secrets! All this cooking, and reading, and TV watching, while we... read and cook! It's like you're involving me in crime, and I let you! Why do I let you?" --Emile in "Ratatouille"
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

high96 wrote:

Apparently prison is pretty laid back in Sweden:

http://www.kriminalvarden.se/sv/English/Prison/

There is also a pdf file of Basic Facts pamphlet of the Swedish Prison system with some statistics. 

http://www.kriminalvarden.se/sv/English/Documents/

Very interesting to read.

Thank you high96..Great Links and facts...

Peppermill
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

Listen and watch Siw Malmkvist sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j3nULi8KAQ&feature=player_detailpage

Thank you, TWJ!

This is from her Wikipedia entry.  I wonder what it implies about Grens's age.

"Siw 'Siwan' Gunnel Margareta Malmkvist (born 31 December 1936 in Landskrona, Skåne County, Sweden) is a Swedish singer who is popular in Scandinavia and Germany. She had a number one hit in West Germany in 1964 with Liebeskummer lohnt sich nicht (English: Lovesickness is Not Worthwhile) and on 18 July 1964, a full decade before ABBA, she historically had also become the first Swede to have a hit on the US Billboard chart with "Sole Sole Sole", a duet with Italian singer Umberto Marcato."

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Thanks,twj. I really thought that Siw Malmkvist was a fictional name for the songs Ewert loved. Thank you for sharing that youtube video with us.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost