Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Landscapes

Ah, I was hoping that Piet would be able to retrieve the phone or, at least, have instructed Zofia to do it. I don't know how he will get it now, since the site is under such a tight police investigation. I wonder if he is dead? I figure he isn't, since the book goes on! He found the best way to be able to assume a new identity, and begin a new life with his family, since everyone thinks he is dead! I never thought I would root for a man capable of such violence, even in his own defense, but boy, I am rooting for him.

Peppermill wrote:

So, who is the antecedent of "he" in your post, TWJ?

thewanderingjew wrote:

Thank you, thank you. I hope he can retrieve it! Maybe that was part of Zofia's instructions.

Peppermill wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

I was wondering, when Zofia answers Piet's call, is she using the phone he buried? Does anyone know?

No, she is not.  Wait...you'll find out more about it.  Fairly dramatic.

See p. 181 for its burial, OKC.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

Vermont, I love this book and I can't hold back. It raises so many conflicting emotions and thoughts about each character; it is hard to figure them out, even after I learn more and more about them. So, I have gone on to read further to find out some answers. The book has so many twists and turns and I need to follow them! If I can post without spoilers I will be back, otherwise, I will be back on Monday!

Vermontcozy wrote:

Very dark,scary structures indeed,Twj..Grens tugs at our heart,he does remind us of what the grieving entails,,Different,but usually the same for most..Some repress some act out..But when a loved ones passes away.,there is always a missing part of the family..As for the phone,will not say..will try not to post any spoilers.Seems like "Three Seconds"  could be discussed into January..

I feel the exact same way.Wandering  .I haven't even posted on Chapter 3 yet..I am into 4 and will be back Monday of course..I will puy my heart back inside my body.since chapter three it was pounding and the excitement.well you know what I mean..Over the weekend..will tell all..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

What I found when seeing these locations, or Landscapes if you may, was how Piet knew of the entire area.  He was well versed in these locations and knew how he was going to use them.  When he was preparing to go to prison, we learned how he set up various articles in these locations in order to provide for his eventual escape if something went wrong, which we found really did go wrong. 

He, (Piet), knew that when he took hostages and decided on his locations where he would take those hostages, he also knew how to figure on his line of site for any police snipers.  The church tower, was a perfect line of site location for just that condition. 

To me,  these three locations have the following meanings: 

Church = Life

Prison = Purgatory

Cemetery = Death

Rachel-K wrote:
How does the stark contrast between the main locations of the church tower, the prison, and the cemetery affect the atmosphere of the story in these chapters?

How are each of these locations described to us and what is your overall impression of each of these places?

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

MSaff wrote:

To me,  these three locations have the following meanings: 

Church = Life

Prison = Purgatory

Cemetery = Death

I have to admit that I wasn't thinking about any symbolic meanings for the three sites as I was reading the book.   Somehow, I was just seeing their functionality.  The Church was the highest point in town; in fact the only site with an overview of the prison.   I would be curious to know if the authors had a town in mind when they wrote this;  one in which the church tower actually IS the highest point around, rather than say, a hillside or a water tower.  Or if they really meant to 'say' something about the idea of a church.

At any rate, I like your idea of the prison being a kind of purgatory.  One is there because one is not entirely blameless.   But I'd have to switch the other two.   In this story, the church is the place from which you can destroy someone.   And the cemetery, where Piet's phone is hidden, is the possibility of a new life. 

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

Ah, I was hoping that Piet would be able to retrieve the phone or, at least, have instructed Zofia to do it. I don't know how he will get it now, since the site is under such a tight police investigation. I wonder if he is dead? I figure he isn't, since the book goes on! He found the best way to be able to assume a new identity, and begin a new life with his family, since everyone thinks he is dead! I never thought I would root for a man capable of such violence, even in his own defense, but boy, I am rooting for him.

Peppermill wrote:

So, who is the antecedent of "he" in your post, TWJ?

thewanderingjew wrote:

Thank you, thank you. I hope he can retrieve it! Maybe that was part of Zofia's instructions.

Peppermill wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

I was wondering, when Zofia answers Piet's call, is she using the phone he buried? Does anyone know?

No, she is not.  Wait...you'll find out more about it.  Fairly dramatic.

See p. 181 for its burial, OKC.

I think he buried the phone just in case things went wrong (like they did).  Piet seems to have planned for any obstacle and he would have wanted to get ahold of Eric if he was on the run.  I don't think Piet would have had Zofia get the phone because he wouldn't want her and the children in jeopardy. 

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Rachel-K wrote:
How does the stark contrast between the main locations of the church tower, the prison, and the cemetery affect the atmosphere of the story in these chapters?

I think the locations just highlight the two different aspects of Hoffman's life, criminal vs. law biding citizen.
How are each of these locations described to us and what is your overall impression of each of these places?
What was important to me was how well Piet knew the locations and his careful planning in order to use them to his benefit. If something went wrong he was well prepared and of course something did go wrong. 

CAG
Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Great question Rachel about the contrast of the locations. Here's my feeling on that.

The church somewhere that is supposed to be a sanctuary is turned into a firing range for the sole purpose of taking a life.

The prison where reform and incarceration is supposed to be going on is turning out to be a city within a city where the inhabitants have far more power and reach than they should.

The cemetery is a place of pain for one character who's fighting demons of his own.

Very well stated. It's what I was thinking but was unable to say in a way that made sense. :smileyhappy: