Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy

Re: Three Seconds: Last Chapters and Whole Novel

Everything we do now is based on electronics in some way. So it is natural to see both criminals and law enforcement using computers. Piet's disc triggered all kinds of suspense to see if Gren's could pull together the data in time to confront the police officials before they had a chance to delete it. It can be nerve-wracking to need information that isn't available in a physical form and wondering if you can get it.
I was pretty certain that Piet had survived the blast. He planned too carefully and took too many precautions not to. I was just anxious to find out how he did it. And then we had to wait until the last couple of pages to find out. That was a very satisfying ending. I think that Piet and Zophia are in hiding for the time being, but maybe Piet is planning to continue as an informant. I thought Piet was pretty likeable. I'd love to read more about him. 

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Contributor
stkong7
0 Kudos

I really wish we knew what happened with Piet and Zofia.  It is assumed that ended up together somewhere outside the country, but that is me...I always like a happy ending.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

The reason I think they wind up together is that Zofia answered the phone when Piet called and  she told him she did what he had asked, she had followed his instructions. 

I believe it was assumed that she went out of the country and I think she must have gone where he told her to go. So, if she did follow his instructions, she has money, passports, tickets and whatever else she needs to wait for him to arrive.

Wilson had told "Paula" to tell his wife everything. He seemed concerned about Piet because he had a wife and family. So when Piet sends his message to Wilson, I think it means that his mission was accomplished on all fronts, in the prison and for his escape to freedom and safety.

stkong7 wrote:

I really wish we knew what happened with Piet and Zofia.  It is assumed that ended up together somewhere outside the country, but that is me...I always like a happy ending.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Last Chapters and Whole Novel (AN EXTRA WISH TO ALL!)

I just wanted to wish everyone a very merry Xmas and a happy, healthy New Year. I have my family visiting and I may not post many more times, depending on the needs and activities of the clan! This is such a happy and busy time of year.

The book was wonderful and so was the discussion. I have posted my review online. I want to send a special thank you to Rachel for a job well done!

Contributor
PeteyParker
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

The reason I think they wind up together is that Zofia answered the phone when Piet called and  she told him she did what he had asked, she had followed his instructions. 

I believe it was assumed that she went out of the country and I think she must have gone where he told her to go. So, if she did follow his instructions, she has money, passports, tickets and whatever else she needs to wait for him to arrive.

Wilson had told "Paula" to tell his wife everything. He seemed concerned about Piet because he had a wife and family. So when Piet sends his message to Wilson, I think it means that his mission was accomplished on all fronts, in the prison and for his escape to freedom and safety.

stkong7 wrote:

I agree. I believe Piet's letter did tell Zofia everything and even if she didn't forgive him yet, he at least gave her an explanation of why he had done what he did. It is at least a start. You can't fix something like that overnight.

As for Piet's situation with the explosion, I knew there was no way he was dead. I'd have been more surprised if he actually was killed during the explosion :smileyhappy:

This book was an excellent choice and I'm glad I got to be a part of the first look for it as it is something I might have missed out on had I not stumbled across this. Hopefully everyone enjoyed it as much as I did and hopefully the people yet to read it will enjoy it once it comes out next month. Thanks again for the opportunity to participate and I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

Wordsmith
literature

I like Grens.  At least you knew where you stood with him as an investigator.  Up until the very end, we knew that he was honest, sincere and dependable.  He has the reputation of following through and investigating every piece of information.  His gut feelings keep him grounded and in touch with his yet unborn thoughts.  But, he has some weird habits.  How many cinnamon buns can one eat in a life time? Was the sugar his drug habit?  Something to keep his energy in full swing.  His loss of Anni kept him from returning home at night to sleep in "their" apartment.  He sits on the floor in his office and sleeps on the couch.  He's a very private, little bit antisocial, person and is very trusting and loyal with Sven and Hermansson.  I felt sad for him and his beloved Anni.  To carry that guilt for the 29 years she was in the nursing home and then after she died.  My heart went out to him.  Other than Anni, he only showed emotion to Siw Malmkvist, his beloved singer.  And now that he has finally come to terms and closure with Anni and has packed away Siw, will he let it be known that Piet escaped the explosion and the marksman's shot only to live life on the outside?

New User
JSRockets

Due to various interuptions I wasn't able to post to many of the threads on this book so I'll just post here.

First - WOW - what an excellent book. I read all the time and found this to be a very well written story. It kept me reading and coming back for more. Really really well done.

Electronic Information : I took this a little differently than expressed in your question. It really hammered home that nothing is truely secret anymore - at least not for ever. Things that were meant for no one to ever see were, relatively, easily found and used. In this case I think for the best but that is clearly not always the case.

Piet : I honestly fell for the head fake on this one. I really thought he set it up so that his family would be taken care of and then went out in his own way, at a time of his choosing. Looking back I should have picked up on more of the hints. Piet comes across as a smart man who takes the time to plan things out. I think he and his family will be together, safe and away from those that would do him harm.

Thanks so much to the authors for an excellent read and to B&N for introducing this great book, I would never have read this otherwise and I'm highly glad I did.

Jeff

Wordsmith
BookWoman718

literature wrote:

I like Grens.  At least you knew where you stood with him as an investigator.  Up until the very end, we knew that he was honest, sincere and dependable.  He has the reputation of following through and investigating every piece of information. .......  He's a very private, little bit antisocial, person and is very trusting and loyal with Sven and Hermansson.  I felt sad for him and his beloved Anni.  To carry that guilt for the 29 years she was in the nursing home and then after she died.  My heart went out to him.  Other than Anni, he only showed emotion to Siw Malmkvist, his beloved singer.  And now that he has finally come to terms and closure with Anni and has packed away Siw, will he let it be known that Piet escaped the explosion and the marksman's shot only to live life on the outside?

No, no, no.  For Piet and his family's protection, it is essential that everyone believes he is dead.  The Polish mafia would want revenge,  the other dealers he burned in the prison would want revenge, maybe even some of the rogue police wouldn't mind seeing him dead.  The few people who know he's alive are, I think, all sympathetic to his situation, and I believe the implication was clear that he and his family - armed with fake passports and a stash of money - had already left the country and were on their way to another life far away.  Straight-laced as Grens is, his ethics are sound, and I'm sure that, recognizing how badly Piet has been used by everyone he trusted in this venture, Grens would rest easier knowing Piet was safe somewhere. 

Contributor
Passie71
0 Kudos

Computers and thrillers

Computers have become our lives.  My morning ritual is now coffee and computer to get caught up on Facebook, email and eventually work etc etc.  There is so much information out there we have to be really good filters on what we believe and what we do not.  Grens' did this very well when the information started to unravel.  He questioned everything that he had seen on paper/computer and confirmed with video and other coworkers. 

Grens' guilt
Grens has been consumed with the guilt of his wife's death and then the "supposedly" death of Piet.  He was the one who gave the order to shoot but still had this nagging feeling that something was not right.  He had to of been very passionate about his job and I hope there are others in our police force that are just as passionate at getting to the truth and stopping corruption.
Piet Hoffmann 
Initially I had suspicion that Piet was alive when I started reading our last section because he was never mentioned after the shooting.  There was never a body found nor was he mentioned again until the last few pages.  He was portrayed at being so smart and clever that I new he would never allow himself to be killed.  I love that the authors let us fill in some of these blanks.
I picture Piet and Zofia eventually finding each other but I am not sure if it is a happy ending.  Zofia was furious when Piet left for prison.  I think she may have taken the boys and met Piet in the arranged location but she may have gone her separate way and taken the boys with her.  Of course, I do love the fairytale ending that they live happily ever after but I am not sure that is possible with all that Piet went through. 
I really enjoyed being a part of this book discussion and am looking forward to the next adventure.  I wish the authors well, even though they never replied to my previous post/discussion.
Staci
Contributor
MBSpencer
0 Kudos

Now it's time for some much needed payback.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

MBSpencer wrote:

Now it's time for some much needed payback.

Amen!

Contributor
MBSpencer
0 Kudos

I do not trust the sources of information in my life.  I know the news lies to me daily.  My company tells me only what they want me to hear and they spin it the way that makes them look best.  People quote wikipedia as gospel.  Yet, I need the ability to instantly search or I become antsy.

Grens' guilt

Gren's guilt served the authors well but was a bit sappy for a strong minded man.  Authors love angst.

Piet Hoffmann 

I knew he would be alive because of his thoughtful planning...and on the off chance he died, there would be documents that brought down the ones that needed bringing down.  Authors usually do not like to kill off main characters for which the readers are rooting. 

I picture Piet and Zofia giving normal life a try.
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

First I would like to say that this book was absolutely fantastic. I think it was the best first look choice we've had yet - and we have had really good ones! I loved it.

Now the questions......

Electronic information plays a huge roll in this novel - Piet uses electronic devices in many ways - and finds it most useful when he records his secret meeting, & listens in to the sniper during the hostage crisis. Grens uses it to listen (repeatedly) to the voice (Piet's) that called in the murder that he was investigating... and to find proof about cases that utilized infiltrators, to view security tapes of public buildings and find proof there, too.

Grens has been carrying guilt around for years and years because he felt responsible for the accident which seriously injured his wife. He now felt responsible for ordering the death of Piet. However, as the novel progressed he was working to come to terms with the loss of his wife and to realize the fact that her accident was not his fault but something he could not control...he also comes to realize that he is not guilty and responsible for Piet's "murder," and that others were indeed guilty of criminal activity which led to his "death."

I really did not know that Piet was alive until the scene in which he was brought back into the story...when he decided to climb out of his hiding spot. WOW! As I read through those first few sentences in that section and realized that he actually had lived I was very happy...his extreme resourcefulness and intelligence and bravery came through for him at the most critical time!!!

I believe that he and Zofia will create a new life for themselves with their sons - somewhere far away. He had set it all up - and she obviously did what he asked her to do - to ensure that they had this new chance together.

It was very moving that Piet called Erik Wilson to let him know that he had survived after all....it was also very satisfying that Grens realized that Piet survived - and seemed to be happy about it....and decided not to report it.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:

literature wrote:

I like Grens.  At least you knew where you stood with him as an investigator.  Up until the very end, we knew that he was honest, sincere and dependable.  He has the reputation of following through and investigating every piece of information. .......  He's a very private, little bit antisocial, person and is very trusting and loyal with Sven and Hermansson.  I felt sad for him and his beloved Anni.  To carry that guilt for the 29 years she was in the nursing home and then after she died.  My heart went out to him.  Other than Anni, he only showed emotion to Siw Malmkvist, his beloved singer.  And now that he has finally come to terms and closure with Anni and has packed away Siw, will he let it be known that Piet escaped the explosion and the marksman's shot only to live life on the outside?

No, no, no.  For Piet and his family's protection, it is essential that everyone believes he is dead.  The Polish mafia would want revenge,  the other dealers he burned in the prison would want revenge, maybe even some of the rogue police wouldn't mind seeing him dead.  The few people who know he's alive are, I think, all sympathetic to his situation, and I believe the implication was clear that he and his family - armed with fake passports and a stash of money - had already left the country and were on their way to another life far away.  Straight-laced as Grens is, his ethics are sound, and I'm sure that, recognizing how badly Piet has been used by everyone he trusted in this venture, Grens would rest easier knowing Piet was safe somewhere. 

You're right!   Piet's whereabouts should not be revealed. Selfishly, I would want everyone to know to show them how "in control" Piet was and how he outsmarted them all.  But, no, Gren should not reveal it.  We know that Wilson won't.  Regardless of what he said, Piet is his friend.  Plus he's invested nine years in him and Piet is better than all the others.

Correspondent
LadyMin

Computers and thrillers

One of the things that surprised me was that no one attending the meeting with Piet thought about the security camera recording the visitors entering the building and that the video could be retrieved. And the electronic records on an unsecured laptop? No password? No encryption? Or perhaps their arrogance made them careless. Regardless, we see that electronic data should be secured.

Grens' guilt

As Grens questioned his responsibility in Piet's presumed death he began to let go of the guilt he was feeling for making the decision to shoot. At the same time he began to let go of the guilt he was suffering for his own wife's death. I'm not exactly sure how he made the leap, but he began to show signs of living again.

Piet Hoffmann

I always believed Piet would survive. I would have been very shocked in the end if he really had died. Piet trusted no one and planned for the worst down to the tiniest detail. What I didn't know was how he would do it.

We are lead to believe he told Zofia everything the night before he went into the prison. In that case he would have also told her he had been coerced into being an informant and had little choice. She answered his call from prison and did as he asked.  I believe she will meet up with him and they will live with new identities free from the police and the mafia. At least that's what I want to believe.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

Hello All,

Well I have to say, that this has been a different novel for me.  There were times when I really didn't like the story or at least how it was being told, but with this last section, I was impressed. 

As for the use of Computers - As I understand it, computers play an important role in today's police investigations.  As a result of Piet's careful planning, he was able to preserve much information.  I feel that he, Piet, didn't trust anyone in the room, when they had the meeting, assuring him of his protection and safety.  Especially when he was told that in the end, when he had completed his job as an infiltrator, he would be given a new identity and be allowed to live out his life with his family abroad.  Something just didn't seem right about that, so I'm sure that Piet saw through the disguise and did a little of CYA. 

When Gren's finds the information, he utilizes it to his benefit, first of all as he does not want to go down as being the person responsible for the death of an informant.  He going to make sure that those really responsible are going to pay as well.  As for whether this part of the novel has any impact on the novel as a thriller, It most certainly does, at least in my own humble opinion.  It adds to the suspense and it kept me reading to see how and if Gren's was going to be able to pull it off. 

Gren's Guilt  -  Ewert Grens has been preoccupied with the death of his wife and now with the ordering of the death of Piet Hoffmann.  Both scenarios are weighing heavy on Grens'.  He has for the longest time, felt responsible for the death of his wife, and now this has been compounded by his authority as the 'Gold Commander', at the scene of the prison, and the ordering of the shot that kills Piet.  I'm not sure how I would feel in his shoes. 

I had a feeling right after the explosion, that Piet was alive, but I couldn't prove it.  When we read the section where he is describing the ventilation duct and what he had to do for the 4 days he stayed there, I started cheering for Piet.  What I wasn't sure of, was how he was going to get out of the prison, and back to his family, if they are still in fact awaiting him. 

Rachel-K wrote:
Computers and thrillers

It can be difficult to get a sense of suspense when detectives are are often trying to boot up and break code on a laptop rather than break down doors--and Grens does both in our last chapters! What role does "information" stored in electronic databases play in our story?
How do the authors create suspense around these scenes?
How heavily do we rely upon it? How does the quest for "real" information play out in the novel?

Grens' guilt

What has been consuming Grens all this time? How has his involvement with Piet Hoffmann's case been tied to his own past?
Piet Hoffmann 

When did you know Hoffmann was alive?
How do you picture Piet and Zofia's future? 

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I think Hoffman was very smart in recording the meeting of the important people who will know about why he is in Prison and for what purpose. Yet, still methodical as Piet is, Grens gets that recording and finds that there are cases that are on the computer that were dismissed or the accused is in jail but Grens kept digging deeper and found files to the cases, 302 of them, and found very different answers. He reaches out to Agastam, the prosecutor, and makes him understand what was happening. We rely on computers nowadays a bit too much and don't realize that there is a paperwork trail that carries a lot of information about oneself. Grens realizes that 3 people are responsible for Hoffman"s death and he wants to get the prosecutor to create warrants for these people. It has been a long night and everything has to be done by Monday morning.

In today's lifestyles, we turn to the computor too much to rely on news, etc. Even the iphones and androids and blackberries play into the computorized age. We have to go back to real information such as newspapers, anything readable to obtain true info on what our needs will be. Even televised news is better than the computerized version as it is local and has things you need to know before your day starts or ends.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Last Chapters and Whole Novel (AN EXTRA WISH TO ALL!)

thewanderingjew wrote:

I just wanted to wish everyone a very merry Xmas and a happy, healthy New Year. I have my family visiting and I may not post many more times, depending on the needs and activities of the clan! This is such a happy and busy time of year.

The book was wonderful and so was the discussion. I have posted my review online. I want to send a special thank you to Rachel for a job well done!

Thank YOU, for your holiday wishes and thoughtful posts - they always make me step back and think again. Best wishes to you and your family, and for a happy and healthy 2011! And to Rachel, of course!  :smileyhappy:

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

Wow!  I just finished three seconds and wow!  I liked the writing style, the approach to giving us the details and the believable characters.  I always believed that Piet had survived; I just didn't know how.  But his careful planning throughout was a major clue that he would survive.  Also, the "three seconds" had to have some importance to his survival.  This was one of my favorite First Look selections.  Thanks to all who had a part in providing it to us. 

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just also wanted to wish all my fellow first lookers a Happy Holiday, stay safe, happy and warm.

Until we get a thread to do so here's my review of Three Seconds

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/reviews-ratings-dhaupt/id/1500146/