Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
bud12
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Last Chapters and Whole Novel

I suspected that Piet would be alive when he tied the explosives to the other hostage. Why else would he so something like that...and another clue was the fact that the body was so blown apart that no one could identify the person, only body parts. However,although I suspected this I was never sure and found myself going along with the story of his death.  

Jo
Contributor
hawk4ever
0 Kudos

This was a fantastic book!!  I definitely didn't see Piet living through the explosion coming.  Totally caught me by surprise.  I want to give my thanks for the opportunity to participate in this First Look.  I only regret that it happened during the busy holiday season.  Merry Christmas to everyone.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

The thing that made me think that Piet had survived was the fact that he kept saying he had three seconds for the bullet to reach him. He stepped away twice so I figured the third time was the charm! I thought that the title Three Seconds had to have a greater meaning than the fact that it took the bullet three seconds to reach him! He had made such elaborate plans it would have been almost counterproductive for him to die then, or maybe anticlimactic.

swan480 wrote: edited by twj...
....I suspected Piet was still alive, but part of it was just that I couldn't believe the authors would kill him off after all that!  :smileyhappy:  I also felt that all of his preparations had to be for something more than being sure he "went out with a bang" -- the narration kept talking about how much he wanted to stay alive, so I felt sure his grand plan would have ensured that he did.  But I really wasn't positive that I was right until Grens starts putting it together -- the listening device, Piet's military background, etc.

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

This selection for First Look was more "my cup of tea".  There was the enough intrigue (that somewhat kept you on the "edge of your seat"), espionage, and twists and turns in the plot.  I was disappointed with Part Five.  I felt that the authors didn't know how to exactly "end" the book...very drawn out. 

It took me a while to figure out that Piet was Paula (brain freeze) but once over that, things fell into place. 

Overall, I liked the book and would recommend it to others

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

OMG...I have been waiting what seems like forever to talk about the end of this book.  It was soooo awesome and I really think that there could be a follow up book.  Are Eric and Piet going to meet again?  Are we going to see what life is like for Piet and his family?  I could not put the book down from the moment he went into jail until the end of the book.  This book really takes you to the edge of your seat and to a different place! 

So my question....will there be a book 2????

You are the author of your own life story.
Correspondent
1archi1
0 Kudos

The end of Three Seconds was awesome.  From Part II on I could not put it down.  It is extrememly suspensful and a great book.  I was struggling in Part I but the rest of the book made up for it.  It is full of OMG moments.  I am glad I stuck it out and like some of the previous posts, I too wonder if there will be a book 2 but after everything Piet and his family has been thru, I just like to think they road into the sunset with no other problems...hehe!!  Can't wait for the next First Look selection, I wonder what it will be!!

:smileyhappy:
Distinguished Correspondent
avid_reader1590

I really enjoyed the last part of the book as I love a twist to the end of a story. I am pretty good at guessing how a book will end but this one really threw me. Loved it! 

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

does anyone know if there will be a sequel to this one?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

swan480 wrote:

Interestingly, it was in the last 100 or so pages of the novel that I started liking Grens the most.  I liked how he handled the fallout after the final big prison scene, and I thought the determination that emerged in his character -- I know they keep talking about how determined an investigator he is, but this is when it actually becomes evident -- made him a much more appealing character than his guilt.

I suspected Piet was still alive, but part of it was just that I couldn't believe the authors would kill him off after all that!  :smileyhappy:  I also felt that all of his preparations had to be for something more than being sure he "went out with a bang" -- the narration kept talking about how much he wanted to stay alive, so I felt sure his grand plan would have ensured that he did.  But I really wasn't positive that I was right until Grens starts putting it together -- the listening device, Piet's military background, etc.

By the way, one other observation I had was that I didn't see why Grens was so shocked that the police were using informants and protecting them from investigations when there were "bigger fish to fry," so to speak.  I guess he'd never seen any American police dramas.  :smileyhappy:  But the result was that I had never considered that an immoral practice.  Interesting that it is so controversial to Sweden, or at least to the authors and their intended audience!

By the way, one other observation I had was that I didn't see why Grens was so shocked that the police were using informants and protecting them from investigations when there were "bigger fish to fry," so to speak.  I guess he'd never seen any American police dramas.  :smileyhappy:  But the result was that I had never considered that an immoral practice.  Interesting that it is so controversial to Sweden, or at least to the authors and their intended audience!

These are some of the aspects of the story I would like to have seen explored further, although I understand they probably would not have fit well within the scope of the story line.  Such as where and why did the higher-ups go astray in their decisions to not to continue to protect Piet?  Is the U.S. a leader in this type of espionage, as hinted by Erik's being trained in Georgia?  In what ways do our laws, regulations, policies protect or fail to protect those put at risk for public safety?  What are our responsibilities towards these systems as citizens?

Pepper

P.S.  Sorry to have been absent from these discussions for awhile.  Family concerns (business type, rather than health or such) as well as the holidays have gotten in the way.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

The reason I think they wind up together is that Zofia answered the phone when Piet called and  she told him she did what he had asked, she had followed his instructions. 

I believe it was assumed that she went out of the country and I think she must have gone where he told her to go. So, if she did follow his instructions, she has money, passports, tickets and whatever else she needs to wait for him to arrive.

Wilson had told "Paula" to tell his wife everything. He seemed concerned about Piet because he had a wife and family. So when Piet sends his message to Wilson, I think it means that his mission was accomplished on all fronts, in the prison and for his escape to freedom and safety.

stkong7 wrote:

I really wish we knew what happened with Piet and Zofia.  It is assumed that ended up together somewhere outside the country, but that is me...I always like a happy ending.  :smileyhappy:

One of the reasons that I feel the police were involved in the drug trade within the system is just because of what you have states about Wilson making sure Piet followed all the instructions.  Piet carefully wrote letters to Zofia and Grens - I think Wilson knew his boss et el were "dirty".  That was the purpose for Piet going inside.  Also, we see that the Police Commander was adimat about not having Gren's talk with Piet.  He didn't want to have Grens get a notion that there was upper police management involved in the drug trade.  So by manipulating the profile, they could make Grens an unwilling accomplice.

MG

Contributor
Marsha64

Good book. Took a while to get going, kept wondering where it was going. But then it took off at the point when Piet got burned.

I had hoped Piet was not dead because I wasn't sure how this would play out if he was gone.

And I would hope he and Zofia could go on with their lives together. She seems to be so emotional but able to work through to see things as they really are.

Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

Great book!!
Thanks to Barnes & Noble for the opportunity, and Rachel-k and Paul for the great questions.

Piet Hoffmann 

When did you know Hoffmann was alive?
I always believed Piet survived, I just didn't know exactly how.  But once he covered his hostage in the explosives it was obvious he was trying to make it very hard for the investigators to realize there was only parts/pieces of one body, not two.  This bought him the time he needed to escape, they were convinced he was dead so they weren't looking for him.
How do you picture Piet and Zofia's future? 
He had a plan for meeting up with Zofia and the boys, I think that's what his phone call to her was partly about,   Her disappearance could support that scenario.  The question I guess for me would be, did she go to meet him, was she willing to leave her life behind and start a life with Piet and the boys in a new Country?  I would like to think she did  :smileyvery-happy:

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Frequent Contributor
Readingrat
0 Kudos

Like mostly everyone else I never really though Hoffman was dead.  I wasn't sure how he got out but I just knew he did.  So do you guys think that Oscarsson recognized Hoffman for who he was when he was leaving the prison or do you think he thought Hoffman looked familiar but didn't really place him?

Contributor
MBSpencer
0 Kudos

Reading the novel and reading the posts and posting myself has all been a great experience.  How does one request to get to do this again?  Thanks.

Mary

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

~ Margaret Mead ~

Peppermill
0 Kudos

MBSpencer wrote:

Reading the novel and reading the posts and posting myself has all been a great experience.  How does one request to get to do this again?  Thanks.

Mary

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

~ Margaret Mead ~

Mary -- watch for the announcements on either the Announcement board or the Community Room (always the former, sometimes both) and follow the sign-up directions. 

I suspect many of us are wondering what will happen to the First Look program with Paul's departure.  Perhaps Rachel can clue us in. 

I like your quotation from Margaret Mead.  Yet, my reaction is, true as it is, certainly there may be  other truths -- such as that the carelessness of millions is changing the climate of our planet or that major physical disasters like earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, hurricanes, ..., can also change the world.   (Two recent adds to my book collection have been 501 Most Devastating Disasters and Battles that Changed History.  Interesting food for thought from a different perspective than I previously ever explored.)

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I wonder if one will be the murder of the Austrian Prince by Serbs! That certainly precipitated a major change in history..i.e. WWI.

Peppermill wrote:

edited by twj..... (Two recent adds to my book collection have been 501 Most Devastating Disasters and Battles that Changed History.  Interesting food for thought from a different perspective than I previously ever explored.)

Pepper

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Marsha64 wrote:

Good book. Took a while to get going, kept wondering where it was going. But then it took off at the point when Piet got burned.

I had hoped Piet was not dead because I wasn't sure how this would play out if he was gone.

And I would hope he and Zofia could go on with their lives together. She seems to be so emotional but able to work through to see things as they really are.

I appreciated that you identified the emotional side of Zofia for us, since in some ways she is remote from us as readers and we are exposed to her emotions primarily through Piet's reactions to her.  That sort of means we are guessing or surmising, rather than actually knowing, what names to place on her emotions -- anxiety, fear, disgust, hope, trust, distrust, ...?

I was struck throughout by a sense of her loyalty and trust -- that something attracted her enough to Piet that she stayed by him as he quit using drugs, that she was willing to bear his children, that she also worked to provide them a home, that she stayed with him despite the nebulous, mysterious nature of his work, that she apparently took his call from prison and simply did what he instructed, what seemed to have to be done.  

To "disappear" and start a "new life" seems almost incomprehensible -- so many practical complications, even for a couple with few connections to family and friends.  Unlike those in a witness protection program, Piet and Zofia are also denied any help from governmental systems either.  Ever revealed as alive, Piet is a wanted man, by law and mafia alike.  A tough row to hoe.

Frequent Contributor
rosia408
0 Kudos

Wow this book has been so amazing. The authors have so meticulously laid out the plot piece by piece so everything falls into place. Electronics played such an important part in the story as the characters were not so bright at covering up their "electronic" tracks. Grens was able to follow that electronic information to uncover them! For most of us, unless we are truly "geeks" we would (at least I would) fail to cover up my own electonic footsteps were I trying to hide something.

All this time Grens has been guilty about the death of his own wife.

I started to suspect that Piet was alive just a bit before I read that he was in the pipe. He was just too meticulous about all his planning to have put himself in the position to be killed like that. Yet I couldn't figure out how he did it.

I don't know if Piet and Zofia will get back together, but I would hope it would happen. He really loves his wife and children. I suspect it will take some time before Zofia is willing to trust him again.

I am thinking that Erik amd Piet may work together again at some point. I am thinking this as he called Erik first thing when he dug up his phone, not Zofia.

Rose

Rachel-K wrote:
Computers and thrillers

It can be difficult to get a sense of suspense when detectives are are often trying to boot up and break code on a laptop rather than break down doors--and Grens does both in our last chapters! What role does "information" stored in electronic databases play in our story?
How do the authors create suspense around these scenes?
How heavily do we rely upon it? How does the quest for "real" information play out in the novel?
In what ways does this reflect how we trust our sources of information in our daily lives? (All of us are certainly familiar with eagerly booting up!)

Grens' guilt

What has been consuming Grens all this time? How has his involvement with Piet Hoffmann's case been tied to his own past?
Piet Hoffmann 

When did you know Hoffmann was alive?
How do you picture Piet and Zofia's future? 

Inspired Contributor
goingeast
0 Kudos

I read this book in one night and couldn't figure out a way to not talk about it without giving away details too soon!  So, I decided to wait until the end of the discussion. 

This was a fabulous book!  I knew Piet was alive like so many others, glad I wasn't wrong.  The book was very modern in that it used modern technology to keep readers on edge.  Sort of like watching an episode or two of Criminal Minds.  Loved this book and hope there will be a follow up!!!

Correspondent
1archi1
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Mary -- watch for the announcements on either the Announcement board or the Community Room (always the former, sometimes both) and follow the sign-up directions. 

I suspect many of us are wondering what will happen to the First Look program with Paul's departure.  Perhaps Rachel can clue us in. 

.Pepper

Pepper, I have been wondering the same thing also.  I check the boards a couple times a day and haven't seen any new First Looks.  I really hope they continue with them.  It really is fun and gives you a chance to step outside the books you normally read.  There are authors I never would have thought about reading and I am glad I didn't miss out on their talent.  Hope to talk to you soon.

:smileyhappy: