Frequent Contributor
Lis49
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Last Chapters and Whole Novel

Computers and thrillers

It is scary that information about us can be altered so easily.  It is also  scary that we believe anything in print.  Isn't it interesting that the man who leaked the Wikileaks information is considered a traitor while the man who sold all of our personal information on facebook is on the cover of Time.  Information can be used both for and against us.  We are at the mercy of others. 
 I did not know that Hoffman was alive until the last minute.  That was done very well.

I see Piet and Zofia together again but was disappointed that he was willling to put their life together at risk again with another adventure with Wilson.
Lis49
Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER

Given that Grens was my favorite character throughout the story, I imagine a thriller combining Piet and Grens. Alas, the life that Piet will face is not a life for a family.

aine

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

crazylilcuban wrote:

fordmg wrote:
Erik's reaction to Piet's death....That made sense after I thought about it.  He didn't believe he was dead at first, and so had to put up his front of not admitting to any info, when it finally stuck him that the higher ups had burned his agent without his knowledge and when he was out of the country, he tacidly gave the info that Gren's needed.  He commented 'to himself' that he was already missing Piet.  Then he was surprised when Piet's private phone rang.  What a stunner. 

MG

I agree. At first, I was really pissed of at Erik's reaction because I thought this was really his chance to redeem himself and show he could be an okay guy but after I thought about it, he probably had to be callous at first because he couldn't be sure that Piet was actually dead. He couldn't just admit anything without really knowing. That phone call was the perfect end to the story.

I, too, agree. I was floored when I read Erik's reply at first. I thought it was the ultimate betrayal of Piet. But as I read further, I could see that he had to protect what information he had because he was in denial that Piet was dead. Once he realized that Piet had been burned and subsequently killed, he gave Sven the information Grens needed to put the "bad guys" away. Once his armor started to crack, you could tell that his prior emotions about his feelings for Piet were genuine - he really did feel differently about this informant and was sad that he was gone.

I can only guess that "Or another time, another place" means that he will never see Piet Hoffman again.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

JoanieGranola, I was wondering exactly what side Piet was one. I know he was undercover. So I was thinking that he went to their side.

I am not sure if Piet is dead. Erick is a great character.

I did have a hard getting started but it started to come together for me. Going between Erick and Piet keep me intereted in what was happening.

I think that this book could have been set in the US and the same thing could have happend.

I liked this book.

ReadingPatti

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

Computers and thrillers

It can be difficult to get a sense of suspense when detectives are are often trying to boot up and break code on a laptop rather than break down doors--and Grens does both in our last chapters! What role does "information" stored in electronic databases play in our story?
How do the authors create suspense around these scenes?
How heavily do we rely upon it? How does the quest for "real" information play out in the novel?
In what ways does this reflect how we trust our sources of information in our daily lives? (All of us are certainly familiar with eagerly booting up!)
Electronic info is the way of the world - no one retains hard copy. It's lucky for Grens that hard-copy backup was around. I'm still not sure why Goransson didn't destroy his only record of Piet/Paula - I get the whole internal dilemma, but given his involvement, I would think self-preservation would override his own moral code. It's a good thing for Grens and Piet that it didn't. The quest for real information was a bit of a puzzle for me. There seemed to be a real leap for Grens to even lock on to Hoffman as being involved in the Vasmagattan shooting to begin with. We trust personal/private electronic data too much. Sure, there are hackers everywhere and some people get their identities stolen, but after reading this book I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people I will never meet in my lifetime who know my online shopping habits and have read all my personal email messages. And that's disturbing.

Grens' guilt

What has been consuming Grens all this time? How has his involvement with Piet Hoffmann's case been tied to his own past?
I have no idea what has been consuming Grens. It first appeared to be his dead wife and his apparent involvement. I didn't realize until the end of the book that he ran over her head - apparently I missed something early on. I also have no idea how his involvement with Piet Hoffman's case was linked to his own past. I've read others' posts about how, in the end, Grens didn't want to feel responsible for either death and once he freed himself of his involvement with murdering Piet, he could let go of his wife's death. That seems like a reasonable explanation, but I still don't really see the connection.
Piet Hoffmann 

When did you know Hoffmann was alive?
How do you picture Piet and Zofia's future?
I knew Piet was alive when he was in the pipe. At first, when I read that there was a killing, I was really angry and thought "How could this happen?" Piet has planned his escape from prison so meticulously, I was stunned to think that he would accept death after that. I actually am probably one of the few who does not believe that Piet and Zofia have a future. I understand everyone's thoughts on them living happily ever after, but he called Wilson - and told him to meet at their normal place. To me, that screams that Piet is still an informant because that's all he knows how to be. Wilson's statement "Or another place, another time" is his way of telling Piet that Piet is now a free man. But Piet's actions throughout the entire novel tell me that, as much as he claims to love his family, he's chosen the life he wants to lead and it doesn't involve them.
Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

I found Grens' whole dilemma about making a "decision about death" fascinating.   He was so worried about making the decision to shoot Piet and then living with the consequences.  In the last scene on P 479 he realizes that he is bringing up the high-ranking officials on charges stemming from their "decision about death" that they tried to pass on to him, and he does a little dance to the song "Somebody's Fool".  The most morally righteous person would have been depressed to learn that there was no cause for the charges if Hoffman is alive.  But Grens is dancing.  I interpret this as a decision not to disclose what he knows, thereby protecting Piet and allowing the charges for the officials to stand. 

I think it's an interesting twist on morality, and was actually surprised by Grens' decision as he seemed so "letter of the law."  But I'm glad he's dancing and Piet is walking!

Jane M.
Correspondent
JoanieGranola

My opinion on this entire novel is split -- on the one hand, I enjoyed it even though I was a little disappointed with the ending. I tend to prefer tidier endings with a clear future for the characters (since real life is rarely like that, I prefer my fiction to at least not mimic real life). On the other hand, I feel sorely let down by the description on the back cover. I expected much more intrigue with explosive plot twists. Mind, I'm not saying that the plot twists were not there -- it's just not as I expected.

I think there is definitely a language barrier issue in the translations -- there were some portions of this book where I thought "huh?" because the wording of a sentence wasn't quite right. This was a very descriptive novel, well told with the promised "twists", but the underdevelopment of some of the characters made me like this book a little less than I wanted to.

For instance, Zofia -- there was so much build-up in the beginning of this novel from Piet's descriptions of her and his proclamations of how much he loved his family. To me, she turned out to be a wet noodle. Her involvement in the overall story was nonexistent and her reactions to Piet's confession were completely unrealistic. As most readers have stated, some sort of emotion was expected from her and it was not received. With the background given - she and Piet met after he was released from prison (I can't even remember now exactly how they met) and the reader not knowing exactly what her occupation is - I expected something more to happen. She just sort of walks off into the sunset after fulfilling Piet's wish to mail Grens' package.

I suppose I also expected something more from Wilson. With the description early on that he considered Piet a friend, and his realizing that his friend was burned and subsequently killed, I was hoping there would be some sort of confrontation between Wilson and his superiors. But, as I write, I suppose that is unrealistic. He had a job to do and it wouldn't make sense for him to rock the boat - on a personal level yes, but on a professional level he did exactly as he should have.

I'm also disappointed with Grens' character. I like the fact that he didn't let go of Piet Hoffman and got to the bottom of Piet's involvement in the Vasmagattan 79 case. What I had a hard time with was the obsession Grens had with his recently deceased wife. I think explaining plainly why he felt so guilty in the beginning of the novel would've made for an easier read. I got that he felt responsible for the way her life turned out (and, ultimately, her death), but I didn't really get it until the end when he thought about running over her with a truck. In fact, I'm still a little stymied at that one -- what were the circumstances surrounding that tragedy? To me, a little clearer backstory on Grens would've made me understand this very complex character throughout the novel. Instead - to me - he was annoying because of his incessant obsession over his dead wife and his inability to let go. I didn't quite "get" the link between his guilt over his wife and the guilt over his choice to shoot Piet - to me those are two very different circumstances and I still fail to see how they're linked. It's clear as to why he shouldn't feel guilty about Piet - he was a pawn. But because the authors didn't make clear (and if they did, I just didn't see it) the circumstances surrounding his wife's death, I don't see a connection.

All in all, I enjoyed the book and would like to read another by these authors. Of all my First Look books, this one was my favorite. I would love to see another mystery/crime selection for First Look. Thank you Paul and Rachel.

Lisa

Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

One last thought about Piet.  We discover at the end that he has been trained as a sharpshooter in the military.  How and why did he go from that specialized job to taking drugs and serving prison time?  What a complex character, and we really saw only the tip of the iceberg. 

Jane M.
Contributor
MBSpencer
0 Kudos

I would call it “Piety and Impiety.” :smileyhappy:
Contributor
BLong
0 Kudos

Really felt for Grens as he tryed to clear his mind of the death of his wife. You could feel he felt responsibile and grieve for her death.  And I got pulled into the emotions of the charcters.  Was glad that as the story went that Gren could release alot of the guilt and find a way to live free of his concious. Enjoyed the book and expect to see it on the best sellers list here in America. If you like lots of suspense would recomend Three Seconds. 

Contributor
torbank6
0 Kudos

How do computers play a role.....we sometimes forget to look and feel. I think Grens was a great cop because he went with his senses and good old police work....I felt really sorry for him when he had to be the one giving the order to kill Piet. I think his wife's death was always with him and it affected his work and life in general. 

I really didn't like Piet at all in the middle of the book but really liked him towards the end and was upset when I thought he died. I was really surprised when I realized he was alive and his wife knew and they got away. I hope they were able to live a normal life without his past haunting them.  

I loved this book and really enjoyed reading it.....it kept me interested through the whole book (despite the Holidays and work).

Thanks for an opportunity to read this book. I would highly recommend it and the author.

Torbank6

Contributor
torbank6
0 Kudos

Re: Review

I loved this book and would highly recommend it to anyone.....It was fast moving, interesting and kept me guessing with a huge surprise at the end. 

Torbank6

Contributor
AnnahE
0 Kudos

I couldn't read fast enough in this part of the book!  I am so happy that Grens finally came to terms with his wife's death and that he finally found peace.  I just knew that Piet was still alive.  He is such an integral part of this novel that I couldn't imagine him being killed off.  I don't know how  I feel about his relationship with Zofia.  There are deep trust issues that they will have to work out...maybe in the next book?

Contributor
fronkster
0 Kudos

I think Piet and Zofia's future will be good.  They have many things to do to make it good, but I believe in happy endings. 

I really liked this book. I don't usually read this type of genre but it had a good plot and I just really enjoyed it.

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

I thought this was the best part of the book. It really held my interest and I like the fact that I am left wondering about a few things. I think Piet is alive and I am left wondering about Zofia which I think is exactly what the writers intended. Grens is a great chacacter and it was good that he could finally come to terms with his wife's death. Overall, a very interesting book.

CAG
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Lis49 wrote:
Computers and thrillers

It is scary that information about us can be altered so easily.  It is also  scary that we believe anything in print.  Isn't it interesting that the man who leaked the Wikileaks information is considered a traitor while the man who sold all of our personal information on facebook is on the cover of Time. 

The "personal information" we post on FaceBook can't possibly be considered confidential, much less classified.  It's posted for the world to see via 'friends' who 'share' more widely than we the original posters do, 'friends' of 'friends', and obviously the administrators of the site.  It's pretty widely known that admissions officers and human resources departments routinely check Facebook for negative info on applicants, so it can have certainly have a negative impact on an individual.  That should be teaching us a lesson about discretion. 

Wikileaks, on the other hand, cavalierly destroyed the confidentiality of communications between diplomats, as one example, with the possibility of harming relationships between nations with global economic and even military consequences.  Do I hope my grandson doesn't blab too openly about getting drunk at a party?  You bet.  But am I more concerned that Hillary Clinton's ability to have frank communications with Saudi Arabia and India might be damaged?  No doubt. 

dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

I think Gren's guilt was eased because when he was manipulated into "killing" Hoffman he was able to see how someone can choose to make a decision based on what they believe are the facts.  The situation with Hoffman allowed him to see that, even though he may have been the one who would have been responsible for killing Hoffman, he was actually played and it was really the circumstances that led him to do something he would not have done if he was fully aware of what had happened.  You're not able to make a rational decision without all of the facts.

Contributor
cdoscher
0 Kudos

First I would like to thank B&N for this First Look Book.  It has been a very interesting read.  I admit it was slow reading for me in the beginning. Once Piet was burned the book seemed to move and I didn't want to put it down.

Grens' guilt

There were two things consuming Grens. First trying to move on from his wifes death and the second moving on from his role in the supposed murder of Piet.  He felt guilty in both their deaths. I think in his meticulous search for the truth about Piet and solving the case he was able to move on from both deaths and obsolve his feeling of guilt.
Piet Hoffmann 

At first I didn't think he survived.  Then when Grens went into the workshop and saw the hole in the opposite wall from the window I knew he survived.  My thought was he crawled out the hole and was able to escape from the prison and met Zofia.  I think the authors escape was much more exciting and suspensful then what I envisioned.
How do you picture Piet and Zofia's future?  I am a true romantic and I am hoping that Piet & Zofia found a wonderful home for their family and are living happily ever after!
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

AIRKNITTER wrote:

Given that Grens was my favorite character throughout the story, I imagine a thriller combining Piet and Grens. Alas, the life that Piet will face is not a life for a family.

aine

Interesting. I like it.

Correspondent
bibanon1
0 Kudos

To me, the novel really picked up once Hoffman entered the prison.  The buildup seemed a little slow up until that point and I was often confused about what was going on.

I love the tie-ins to the title.  I saw two different places where "three seconds" played into the story. 

I also really liked the themes of overcoming one's past and redemption. And survival.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blogging about books and life since 2003.
http://lifebycandlelight.blogspot.com