Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Part One

I love the mystery surrounding him though...that is what makes him so interesting...I want to know the thing that changed him so much...

You are the author of your own life story.
Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

I would love to see more people stick it out...there will come a point you CANNOT put it down....so please hang in there....it will be worth it!

You are the author of your own life story.
Frequent Contributor
OKC_NookJA
0 Kudos

mommybooknerd wrote:

I would love to see more people stick it out...there will come a point you CANNOT put it down....so please hang in there....it will be worth it!

I for one plan on sticking it out. My criticisms are meant to be constructive. I like reviewing a book with the intent of giving feedback. This is really helping me learn more about constructing characters and stories and I hope my feedback will help.

A general question: is the purpose of First Looks to give feedback both positive and negative? I would assume it is since only giving positive feedback doesn't accomplish anything.

I am almost done with Part One and will give a more detailed analysis of my thoughts them. in a day or two.

Thanks,

James

Contributor
erica11
0 Kudos

I have been on Vacation, so I am a last minute poster.

I am not putting any judgement on any of the characters so far.  My interpretation of Gren boxing up his cassettes is that he is finally facing the fact that his wife is gone and he can't bring her back.

I don't have a fav character yet.

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

I am not sure which post I read it on but Erik Is Undercover ,yes that  we know,,Do his Superiors in The Police Dept,like Grens know the full extent  no..otherwise wouldn't he be able to help Grens..Erik is way too deep in This Operation   I  am just thinking How stressed he is and always nervous   ..Seems like he must answer to many people and keep it all straight...

Erik is not undercover himself;  he is a handler for several undercover operatives, one of which is Piet.  Grens is not his superior, they both report to the same man (Goransson I think?)  All of Erik's superiors, all the way up the chain of command, are privy to his actions, although they may not know the exact identity of his operatives.  That part is kept secret to aviod leaks.  We see that Erik, with Piet, meet with his superior, and several other higher-ups, to get an OK for the sting inside the prison, and immunity for Piet, whom up to then they have only known as "Paula." 

It must be a dicey job to recruit these former criminals and keep them on track with the job you (the police) want them to do.  Erik seems to be very careful in his preparations and he advised Piet to abort the meet where the Danish agent was killed, because it hadn't been properly planned out.  But it's hard to know how he feels personally about these men he works with.  Does he just use them, and protect them because they're a valuable asset, or does he actually develop some personal 'friendly' feelings?  The job probably doesn't allow much room for that.  You have to keep very focused and able to use clear judgment. 

Frequent Contributor
mlfoley012
0 Kudos

I have pretty much suspended judgment of all characters to this point.  It's all still too new. The only one I don't expect much change from is Grens.

I think I will have more opinions in the whole matter after the next section.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

I am not sure which post I read it on but Erik Is Undercover ,yes that  we know,,Do his Superiors in The Police Dept,like Grens know the full extent  no..otherwise wouldn't he be able to help Grens..Erik is way too deep in This Operation   I  am just thinking How stressed he is and always nervous   ..Seems like he must answer to many people and keep it all straight...

Erik is not undercover himself;  he is a handler for several undercover operatives, one of which is Piet.  Grens is not his superior, they both report to the same man (Goransson I think?)  All of Erik's superiors, all the way up the chain of command, are privy to his actions, although they may not know the exact identity of his operatives.  That part is kept secret to aviod leaks.  We see that Erik, with Piet, meet with his superior, and several other higher-ups, to get an OK for the sting inside the prison, and immunity for Piet, whom up to then they have only known as "Paula." 

It must be a dicey job to recruit these former criminals and keep them on track with the job you (the police) want them to do.  Erik seems to be very careful in his preparations and he advised Piet to abort the meet where the Danish agent was killed, because it hadn't been properly planned out.  But it's hard to know how he feels personally about these men he works with.  Does he just use them, and protect them because they're a valuable asset, or does he actually develop some personal 'friendly' feelings?  The job probably doesn't allow much room for that.  You have to keep very focused and able to use clear judgment. 

What you wrote is very factual and yes Erik and Grens are on the same level.  ,somewhat,,.But Erik is "playing  with Piet ",he is IMO "Dirty"..I never take the" Law Enforcement "side until it is proven to me that they are not involved in and profiting from these"Activities"...Always a fine line between Law Enforcement and the Criminal's.His advice to abort..He knew Piet wouldn't..Erik is a very good Actor..But Piet knows..he can't be trusted..He see's right through him.......Very transparent to me.....Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

OKC_NookJA wrote:

mommybooknerd wrote:

I for one plan on sticking it out. My criticisms are meant to be constructive. I like reviewing a book with the intent of giving feedback. This is really helping me learn more about constructing characters and stories and I hope my feedback will help.

A general question: is the purpose of First Looks to give feedback both positive and negative? I would assume it is since only giving positive feedback doesn't accomplish anything.

I am almost done with Part One and will give a more detailed analysis of my thoughts them. in a day or two.

Thanks,

James

James Your analysis and everyone else's, both positive and negative is what makes FirstLook so unique,,,I look forward to your thoughts...Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
beak77
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

I have not judged anyone so far..Its a very complicated world GoodGuys/BadGuys..A very fine line in Law Enforcement..Given the first 132 pages I was able to visualize the characters and their surroundings.Gren's ,even though he is still grieving,functions quite well. His life is his Police Work..I especially liked the line on pg 37"Ewert Grens was still sitting by the head that had too many holes"..I knew then he wouldn't give up .he will be a thorn in everyone's side...i don't have a favorite supporting character yet,I think because for me they are all Major Players at this point..Even Einarsson, anyone can get caught up in this ,especially when there is money to be made... At this point in"Three Seconds" I only trust Grens and Nils Krantz...Erik WIlson being in the US  at a Training Center was not odd at all..It seems quite logical that most Officers/Agents must attend these "seminars"..I thought of Quantico..but not sure where he was...I will read that section again.. The mules were a very disturbing part so far..But it does exist..so its a reality.I must commend Anders Roslund and Borge Hellstrom for writing such  relevant  novel..and  exposing us to that so secretive world...Its so tightly written as well..Susan Vtc..

After reading the interview with the authors one learns that Grens is in previous books. Do you think the authors developed his character more in those books? Do you think we would have previewed his relationship with his wife and seen his grief in action as she was sick & passed away?

Contributor
beak77
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Rachel, you have given us excellent, thought-provoking questions again!

The opening definitely got things started with a bang. Reading about the man's esophagus made me feel sorry for him because I wasn't sure if he was in on whatever this was or not. But, once I found out he was a mule, I wished the rubber balls would break and ..... I have no sympathy with the choice of any of the mules. Then we started meeting the "good" guys who weren't always the good guys, and the "bad" guys who will kill without remorse. It was disconcerting to find that the police were using convicts to infiltrate the mob just as the mob uses mules. It made me wonder how much they really cared about what happened to their informants. I will withhold judgment on them until I read more, but am worried that they are users just like the mob. One person dies, recruit someone else. That doesn't look positive for the "good" guys.

My favorite supporting character so far is Zofia. While she is playing the part of the loving, unsuspecting wife and mother, I think there is more to her. I don't think she believes all the lies, but also don't think she knows the truth. I only hope she stays on the good side of things.

In reference to the bolded:

The world we live in is disposable. I was in higher management in a national company any and everyone was always disposable. You had a list of reserves. A manager quits you have a back no water off your back. Big manufacturing companies use temp agencies because they do not want to offer benefits and terminate the temps before it would be required.

A soldier dies in war- they ship his body back home. Another soldier fills his spot during the next mission. Life must continue as normal, no weakness is allowed.

In the book, what if the Polish mob works as each person is disposable? It is probable that they do since they a criminal unit. As for the Swedish Police Informants, which you assume are on the good side of the law, you would think that they would value their informants. But why? Their informants are former criminals, recruited when they have no ties to society, making them completely disposable. One loss for the Swedish Police will just equal lost time because they have a whole prison system to recruit from. All completely disposable and easily forgettable.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I really am enjoying this book but all of the long names of streets and places can be distracting for me because it is hard to read them, let alone pronounce them out loud! Reading the Larsson trilogy, I had the same experience. Because I have no frame of reference for these places, it sounds like gobbledy-**bleep** to me, at times. Does anyone else feel this way?

Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I really am enjoying this book but all of the long names of streets and places can be distracting for me because it is hard to read them, let alone pronounce them out loud! Reading the Larsson trilogy, I had the same experience. Because I have no frame of reference for these places, it sounds like gobbledy-**bleep** to me, at times. Does anyone else feel this way?

It's funny you should say that! I had that feeling at first in the Larsson books, but now, because I've read them, the streets and places seem like old friends! I still haven't been there, but they are starting to feel more 'real' to me because there are so many commonalities between all of these books.

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
Frequent Contributor
OKC_NookJA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

elaine_hf wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

It's funny you should say that! I had that feeling at first in the Larsson books, but now, because I've read them, the streets and places seem like old friends! I still haven't been there, but they are starting to feel more 'real' to me because there are so many commonalities between all of these books.

I don't have any problem with the street names. As you did, I was having an issue at the beginning of the first Larsson book but soon they seemed very familiar. Also, during the first part of Dargon Tattoo, I kept looking up cities on Google Maps.

Now the long street name that starts with a V.. 79 in this book I pronounced it a few times but then I knew it by site and skip to the next word without trying to sound it in my head.

Contributor
calb15
0 Kudos

I did the same, cause it's hard to place the history if you can't imagine the place, so google help me a lot.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I love a good, thoughtful debate on the points of a book and that is what I think we have the opportunity for here in First Look. It is fun for me to read posts that challenge and inspire me, so keep them coming folks!  :smileywink:

OKC_NookJA wrote:

mommybooknerd wrote:

Thanks,

James

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

calb15 wrote:

I'm having a lot of problems with the names, keeping up with all the background story.   I'm still debating how it's gonna work, who is who, and if they are good or bad.  

The last time I had this problem writing down the names and who they were helped me until I got further into the novel and could make more sense of the characters.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I'm so there with you on this twj, in fact a lot of time I just had to ignore the wheres.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

thewanderingjew wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:  Aren't we all only too "American provincial" with our difficulties with "foreign names" and places?

I have a terrible time whenever I read anything about Islam and its leaders (e.g., Karen Armstrong's The Battle for God  ) or on several other subjects, for much the same lack of "frame of reference" problem.  You hit it on the head, TWJ!

(What are the skills of those who DON'T have this difficulty?)

P.S. -- ah, I see some of you have already given us tips!

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
charlieasu
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:

I read one of the authors' earlier books.  The woman whom Grens is grieving was indeed his wife.  She was a policewoman who was killed in the line of duty and he has always felt  intense guilt that he was unable to protect her.

I think Grens is very focused on the immediate task, that is, to solve a murder.  This is, for him, a most serious crime and it has always been his duty to go after tough cases.

Erik sees the murder as unfortunate but wants it overlooked so that Piet can move forward in his new, more highly trusted position within the mafia, and eventually bring down the whole organization.  He convinces a very limited number of government  officials of his point of view in that very tense meeting.  Police and prosecutors do it all the time, but there's always some tension in the idea of letting a 'lesser criminal' get off so that the authorities can go after 'bigger fish."   Piet didn't actually pull the trigger (and recall how careful Erik was to assure himself of that)  but he would be an accessory to murder in that he didn't report it and helped to cover it up. 

I think Piet is and has been well aware that his life could be on the line at any minute;  that's a normal job condition for any infiltrator.  It's not that he suddently realized "it could be him;"  he knew that all along.  He was almost undone by the Danish agent's death because he is working with the Swedish police who will know he was at the meeting where the death took place.  If they have Grens' point of view that murder is of prime importance, and turn on him, make it 'his fault' that someone got killed, he could lose everything.   The work he has put in to make himself credible to the mafia would go down the drain, and it would be even less possible for the police to stop their expansion.  He could also be personally prosecuted and incarcerated, separated from his beloved family.  Having a murder happen 'on his watch' jeopardizes everything he has worked for and everything he holds dear.

tberra wrote:

I,m  not  ready to judge  anyone  good /bad yet  I am  still  sorting them out  . I  feel the POV changes from one to the next  too quickly I start getting involved  to have it change to the next person and I need to switch mental gears to figure out who is  where. I am enjoying it I just feel I need  to go back and reread some . Erik was in the Us at a training facility  .

Grens  use to be a "good" cop before  "she " died (his wife?)

he is depressed  However this  murder  seems to have jarred something to reawaken the cop in him . Boxing up his  cassettes I feel is  his  way of  moving on  trying to move forward in his life .

Why open with a Mule ? To see the depraved  side of human nature  to know that  what they are doing is wrong  and dangerous  to swear  to themselves they will never do it again  only to be so  desperate  for some thing  a fix/  pay bills/ any number of  addictions  that  2 days later he/she will forgo the danger and do it again to get their  fix in.    

Thanks for the information from one of the author's previous books. I thought it was something like that, but actually knowing it now makes sense as well as adds to the depth of his character even  more.

Creative Memories Independent Consultant
www.mycmsite.com/sheilarupp
Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
0 Kudos

I am sorry i haven't been around as much as I was in Vixen - lol.  Life takes over sometimes!  I am really enjoying this FL selection and hope to have some actual input on the story and writing ASAP.

Thanks,

Becky in IN