Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Part Three

This is where the book really heats up and I could not put it down.  I am glad that I read it in a few days right after I got it or I would not be able to get anything done for Christmas...I just loved this book and I agree with many on here that it really was anxiety filled reading this section when you know he does not belong in jail but is struck, worrying for his life and trusting nobody...how awful that must be.  I really put myself in his place and was stressed to the max...

You are the author of your own life story.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat

Wow, what an ending to this section! I always thought Piet as a very organised and methodical man and he continues to do that in this section. But for a moment of sheer panic that no one that he knows seems to know him and thoughts of deparity creep into his mind, Piet kept his head on straight and all the planning he had done prior to entering prison, worked out for him. He knew from past experience that all his pre-planning had paid off. Just imagine if he didn't!

At first, Piet was doing well in prison, knocking out other drug dealers there so he could take over. He was handling things well until he was almost attacked in his cell one morning and the prisoners were calling him a snitch. He called for voluntary solitary confine as was discussed by Erik and him. But voluntary confinement did not work either and he hit the warden in order to get solitary confinement. Piet is a man under pressure at this point as he cannot contact anyone and when he does, they don't know him.

Ewert Grens plays quite a role in this section as when the hostage situation occurs, he becomes the gold commander. He would be the one to tell the marksman to shoot. I can now see why Piet was up in the church tower before he entered the prison. It was confusing to me as to what he was doing there. Now, it made sense in that Piet could hear everything that was  being said by whoever was up in the tower at the time. Piet knew exactly at what time the marksman was going to fire his rifle. Three seconds for a bullet to leave the rifle and hit Piet. Now we know where the title of the book comes into play.

Getting back to Grens, he suspected something when he first went to the prison to interview Piet. I don't think he bought the story that Piet was in the hospital with an infection. When he went back 4-5 days later, again he was turned away and at the same time, the prisoners were attacking Piet, but he didn't know that. But he suspected that the stories the warden gave him were false. And I think it was instinct that gave Grens all sorts of red flags about these stories handed to him by the warden.

Grens still grieves for his wife, who is buried in the cemetery, he leaves the first time and the second. he still can't come to terms with her death. He is basically a lonely man who struggles from day to day with her death and he can't shake the Idea that he was responsible for her death.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
Fanasty_Lover
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Contributor
Fanasty_Lover
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AMAZING BOOK, I just in fact finished it but I have to back track with the questions due to not being able to have access to internet for a little bit.

Why do you think Grens detects something wrong about the stories he's being given by police and prison officials?

Grens has turned out to be one of my favorite characters. It shows that he is having a lot of personal issues, yet he is not letting them get in the way of his job. He starts noticing things are not what they seem as soon as he tries to interview Piet and they claim that he is unavailable for questioning due to illness. Though at first he doesn't know what to do with that information at the time it still bothers him. So many things go on that Grens starts thinking there is no such thing as coincidences. It bothers him so much that he starts investigating things that he shouldn't and even calls someone he considered an enemy to help figure out what is wrong. Grens puts aside his differences in order to follow a hunch that he knows can ruin his life. But it was a risk he was willing to take if it took guilt away from him as well as to find the true murder.

Contributor
Fanasty_Lover
0 Kudos

Is anyone else having issues posting?

Contributor
terilhack
0 Kudos

Whoa for this part I was a bit surprise and taken aback. Here Piet already has the idea that he is being used, but the way they leave him out to dry was pretty shocking. 

The interesting part of the ending that while they were using Piet this trained infiltrator none of the vast majority of agencies really knew what the other was going or using who for.

Even though the story was hard to get through, the interesting part was the the methods of deceptions that these agencies where using to basically get away with murder.

There was so much drug and bomb detail, and the path of the mules transporting these things that I was almost concerned that this might get to many people interesting in such things. 

Maybe there should have been a warning on this book, I liked trainspotting as a movie ,but then I might not want to have read the book. It was not really my taste in books, and while the ending was alright I think that a lot of book fodder in there was really ummm unnecessary. Almost really more grotesque. Maybe for a first look of this degree have a warning label. The other choices were great that you have put up before.

I like a nice police, crime, murder, drama, action, adventure, thriller, but this was a bit over the top for my market.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity of First Look though.

TeriC
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

This section was amazing. I got behind in posting this week. But last night I started the last section and couldn't stop. So I will wait and post on my thoughts when the new threads are put up. What an amazing book.

Contributor
bmxmom
0 Kudos

Ewert Grens I do believe has only good intentions. I don't believe that he intentionally put Piet's life in danger. For some reason people did not stop him. I don't think this is and uncommon procedure. maybe this was an intentional set up from the powers that be? A way to get rid of someone who they feel is dirty. can't wait to finish this read!
Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Oprah did a story about Sweden and how safe it was to live there and raise children with out fear. That was the picture I had in my minds eye when I began to read "Three Seconds". It did not take long to have that idea smashed to smithereens. Are there really so few honest men left?

I thought the US system of justice was a mess!

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

This is a tough book to read, but as BookWoman said so cogently elsewhere, as adults and as citizens, sometimes we need to take a hard look at difficult realities.   Three Seconds seems such a book and hence a service of Barnes and Noble to its readers.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

That just goes to show that the entertainment world may not know as much about the real world, as we give them credit for, lol. After all, they live in a world of fantasy. That is what they are paid to create. If they have the same political perspective as we do, we give them even more credence.

However, they are entertainers not educators, although some are scholars. Unfortunately, we all rely on soundbites from celebrities we like for information, instead of doing the research ourselves. It is just easier, I suppose. Take Jon Stewart. He makes news funny. Colbert does it too. These guys have a tremendous influence, as does Oprah, on the things we believe and support.

AIRKNITTER wrote:

Oprah did a story about Sweden and how safe it was to live there and raise children with out fear. That was the picture I had in my minds eye when I began to read "Three Seconds". It did not take long to have that idea smashed to smithereens. Are there really so few honest men left?

I thought the US system of justice was a mess!

Contributor
lisapt
0 Kudos

What I think is amazing is, after the officials decide to burn Piet, but especially after Piet gets his gun, is who is in charge of this section of the book. Only one person involved in the situation has all the facts and had any idea of what was really going on, and that is Piet. He is running the show. He orchestrated this plan before he went in, just in case, and now it is playing out. Everyone is jumping to his tune. I know he is fine, and can't wait to see what he has planed next, which I am going to find out tonight.
Contributor
Caffrey
0 Kudos

If one were to look in Piet without having any previous information on him in this section, one would find a very lost man. He is struggling to keep the pieces of his life together. He is running on vapors at this point. All he has left is his work at this point and that is what he is putting everything into because not only does he have no choice, but that is all he has left in a sense because I think that Piet has given up on seeing his family again. He wants desperately to be the family man, but he believes that that opportunity has passed him by. 

I loved this question! I think all of the discussion questions that have been given os far are incredibly thought-provoking. 

Frequent Contributor
Lis49
0 Kudos

I agree.  This system allows the police to circumvent the legal system and do what ever they want.  Piet can do whatever it takes to get the job done and not have to follow any laws and procedures that the police would have to.  This system allows the police to function without legal restrictions which is pretty scary.

Lis49
Frequent Contributor
Lis49
0 Kudos

Grens is a stand up, old fashion policeman, who unlike others in his department, believes in following procedure and doing his job correctly.

Lis49
Frequent Contributor
Lis49
0 Kudos

I am also wondering about Wilson.  He and Piet go back a long time and he conveniently is out of the country when Piet goes to prison.  Why would he choose to be on another continent?   Perhaps it is to heighten the suspense of the book.

Lis49
Frequent Contributor
Lis49
0 Kudos

I was surprized that the authors choose to not write much about Piet's family.  They really don't say much about Piet's wife and her reaction to any of Piet's doings.  I would be interested in hearing more about her views.

Lis49
Frequent Contributor
Lis49

I was really impressed by the excellent planning that Pieta did.  It must have taken him a long time to work everything out.  I did not understand the use of the tulips at first. The timing of the opening of the tulips was critical.  What environmental condition could change the time it took for them to to open?  What do tulips smell like?  I was not aware that they had a fragrance.  I will have to check that out.  Also, I need to check out the relationship of a kronor to the dollar.   The job that he was given placed him in the correct section of the prison for his plan to work.  I was very interested in how the church and his work place in the prison fit together. 

By changing his records, the police gave him a reputation that would protect him by making him the alpha dog.  He had the double protection of being viewed as a murderer and a drug dealer. He easily got rid of the drug dealer competition.  The authors did a good job of describing the demeaning aspects of prison life--the searches, the atmosphere.  He knew to hid the drugs in the U-bend of the toilet.  If someone kept asking for his books, I would be suspicious and would have searched them carefully.  Why did they let prisoners get things from the outside like that.  I would have a prison library and not let in books from the outside. Piet reverted quickly to the behaviors that would let him function in prison.  He knew how to relate to both the prisoners and the guards.  He also knew how to take defensive positions in rooms.  He was very aware of his rights such as the right to solitary and the right to call the police and tried to take advantage of them when he was outed.  Oscarsson was told to interfere with Piet getting help. He prevented Grens from seeing him and let a lawyer pass information to another prisoner. He did not protect Piet.    

If I did not hear about Piet's life with his family, I would think that he was a hardened criminal with no hope of fitting in to society. 

Grens is a honorable man who is interested in the truth and interested in justice.  The others are more what is in it for me. They admire his abilities but are uncomfortable with him because of the music, how close he stands, and his sleeping everywhere and anywhere.  He knows that the pieces of the puzzle do not fit together and that bothers him.  He is not used to getting the run around.   It makes him curious.  He goes to the cemetery because he feels that it is time to get closure on the part of his life with his wife.  He loved her and misses her and doesn't know how to deal with it.  He is in denial and it is painful to him. 

This is a wonderful book!

Lis49
Frequent Contributor
wendyroba
0 Kudos

In what ways were Piet Hoffmann's plans for entering prison working out exactly as he'd organized them?
I have to admit, much of his preparation had me in the dark until things started unfolding in the prison...then I understood exactly why he did what he did...amazing really.

What was life in prison like and how did Piet fit in there?
I still cannot imagine voluntarily putting oneself in there...horrible. And yet, Piet knew prison so well that he was able to protect himself.

How would you judge Piet as a man in these chapters if you'd had no picture of his life outside the prison walls before this?
Ruthless, unfeeling, very smart

We spend quite a lot of time in these chapters observing Ewert Grens. How does he compare to the other officers he works with and for?
Well, Ewert is a man who answers to no one but himself...he is obviously damaged and that taints everything he does. He feels no obligation to the other officers - his sole goal is to solve cases.

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Rachel-K wrote:
Hi all,
Please feel free to use any of the following questions to discuss Part Three of Three Seconds, and please also feel free to post your own thoughts and questions for the group!

In what ways were Piet Hoffmann's plans for entering prison working out exactly as he'd organized them?
Piet was able to do everything he set out to do, including get the drugs in, eliminate the the competition and become the dealer on the inside.
What was life in prison like and how did Piet fit in there?
He had been in prison before so I think he knew what to expect and prepare for.

What interferes with his carefully orchestrated plans?
I think Grens investigation turned things around and changed how things were suppose to go. PIet then had to be "burned".

How would you judge Piet as a man in these chapters if you'd had no picture of his life outside the prison walls before this?
I would have judged Piet as a very intelligent and dangerous criminal.

We spend quite a lot of time in these chapters observing Ewert Grens. How does he compare to the other officers he works with and for?
Grens is a good guy. He is set on resolving his case and doesn't give up.

Why do you think Grens detects something wrong about the stories he's being given by police and prison officials?
I think he was a good enough investigator that he saw red flags waving all over the place. Some things just didn't make sense to him so he followed up and used his intuition to find out the truth.
Why does Grens attempt to go the cemetery twice in these chapters? Can you describe his struggle?
He wants in some ways to accept the fact the his wife is gone but it remains very difficult for him. So he goes to the cemetery thinking he is ready to let go but still can't seem to move on.

CAG