Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Part Two

That is quite a fantastic sleuthing job! Kudos to you!
I think that the comment about lying refers to his past life, his handlers, maybe even judge and jury, as well, not just his family. Maybe he has been lying to lots of people for a long time because he was not the pillar of the community.
you wrote:  "Piet thinks "In the past ten years he had lied so much to Zofia and Hugo and Rasmus and all the others..." (pg 181). I think his life of crime was longer than we thought and "the others" refer to people from that time. The thing I remember about Zofia is that she helped him kick his drug habit so his relationship with her began then, not before. Does anyone remember when he kicked his drug habit?
I don't know what to make of the other questions you raise, but if that is in his record, the discrepancies might indeed by a problem for him if anyone looks too closely, or as closely as you have! LOL I think that was a terrific find and it is a pity you are not working with Wilson so you could have him fix it!
My only other thought is that additional charges were brought  against him while he was still in prison. I think that does sometimes take place. The prisoner is brought to court on addtional charges while he is still in jail. Maybe that case came to light after his original sentence.
Maybe, in the next reading section the problem will be revealed. I haven't started it yet.

T-Mo wrote:

I just found something else that I had remembered reading that further re-inforces my comments about the timeline discrepancies... 

"Nine years at an infiltrator.... He didn't have a family then. He existed on for himself..." (pg. 145). 

So... Again, I ask, how is that he has been lying to his family for ten years? 

T-Mo wrote:

I think I have come across a discrepancy... 

In another thread I was curious as to when Piet and Zofia met, and how it relates to the story overall. Then while reading part two, when we are informed of Piet's criminal record, as it is listed in the Swedish National Police Board's records, we are told that he was cited on 2/5/98 for unlawful driving; on 4/5/98 for unlawful disposal; and on 8/6/98 for serious firearms offenses. We are further informed at the same time that he was jailed on 4/7/98 and paroled on 1/7/99. ( page 140). So, was he in prison when he was charged with the firearms offense? And how is this significant? Will anyone who looks at his record notice this or is it something that was overlooked by the authors? 

Further, we learn that Piet has served nine years as an infiltrator. (pg 145) But later on, when speaking with Zofia, Piet tells her "about a prison sentence ten years ago." (pg 174). Yet again later, Piet thinks "In the past ten years he had lied so much to Zofia and Hugo and Rasmus and all the others..." (pg 181). So... I'm a little confused on the time lines. I was under the impression, from what I had read that Piet was approached by the Swedish authorities while he was in prison to become an infiltrator. I can argue with myself that just because he agreed to become an infiltrator doesn't necessarily mean that he started as such immediately. Such things take time- building trust with a criminal organization does not happen easily. So ok, he has been an infiltrator for nine years. Ten years ago he was in prison. How can it be that he has been lying to his family for ten years? are we to assume that if he is just telling Zofia about that prison sentence now, she must not have known about it? Which would mean ten years ago he did not know her, not to mention that his children are only three and five, which means it is not possible to have been lying to them for ten years. A technicality, I know, but I revert back to my previous questions... When did he meet his wife and begin to build his family? And what bearing does this have on the situation and the story overall? Are these timeline discrepancies integral to the story? 

I certainly cannot wait to read on to see how or even if my questions will be addressed. 

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I think I am going to answer my own question about when Piet met Zofia and kicked his drug habit..

On p.138, it says..."The rehab center, the fear, the prison sentence, the drug had been all consuming and everything else meaningless until the morning she was suddenly standing in front of him. He had never injected since.

From the order in the sentence, rehab center, fear, prison sentence, perhaps she met him before he went to prison but they didn't marry until afterwards.

I also wonder what part of his record is actually true now...Who really has the "real" copy of his past offenses?

thewanderingjew wrote:

That is quite a fantastic sleuthing job! Kudos to you!
I think that the comment about lying refers to his past life, his handlers, maybe even judge and jury, as well, not just his family. Maybe he has been lying to lots of people for a long time because he was not the pillar of the community.
you wrote:  "Piet thinks "In the past ten years he had lied so much to Zofia and Hugo and Rasmus and all the others..." (pg 181). I think his life of crime was longer than we thought and "the others" refer to people from that time. The thing I remember about Zofia is that she helped him kick his drug habit so his relationship with her began then, not before. Does anyone remember when he kicked his drug habit?
I don't know what to make of the other questions you raise, but if that is in his record, the discrepancies might indeed by a problem for him if anyone looks too closely, or as closely as you have! LOL I think that was a terrific find and it is a pity you are not working with Wilson so you could have him fix it!
My only other thought is that additional charges were brought  against him while he was still in prison. I think that does sometimes take place. The prisoner is brought to court on addtional charges while he is still in jail. Maybe that case came to light after his original sentence.
Maybe, in the next reading section the problem will be revealed. I haven't started it yet.

T-Mo wrote:

I just found something else that I had remembered reading that further re-inforces my comments about the timeline discrepancies... 

"Nine years at an infiltrator.... He didn't have a family then. He existed on for himself..." (pg. 145). 

So... Again, I ask, how is that he has been lying to his family for ten years? 

T-Mo wrote:

In another thread I was curious as to when Piet and Zofia met, and how it relates to the story overall. Then while reading part two, when we are informed of Piet's criminal record, as it is listed in the Swedish National Police Board's records, we are told that he was cited on 2/5/98 for unlawful driving; on 4/5/98 for unlawful disposal; and on 8/6/98 for serious firearms offenses. We are further informed at the same time that he was jailed on 4/7/98 and paroled on 1/7/99. ( page 140). So, was he in prison when he was charged with the firearms offense? And how is this significant? Will anyone who looks at his record notice this or is it something that was overlooked by the authors? 

Further, we learn that Piet has served nine years as an infiltrator. (pg 145) But later on, when speaking with Zofia, Piet tells her "about a prison sentence ten years ago." (pg 174). Yet again later, Piet thinks "In the past ten years he had lied so much to Zofia and Hugo and Rasmus and all the others..." (pg 181). So... I'm a little confused on the time lines. I was under the impression, from what I had read that Piet was approached by the Swedish authorities while he was in prison to become an infiltrator. I can argue with myself that just because he agreed to become an infiltrator doesn't necessarily mean that he started as such immediately. Such things take time- building trust with a criminal organization does not happen easily. So ok, he has been an infiltrator for nine years. Ten years ago he was in prison. How can it be that he has been lying to his family for ten years? are we to assume that if he is just telling Zofia about that prison sentence now, she must not have known about it? Which would mean ten years ago he did not know her, not to mention that his children are only three and five, which means it is not possible to have been lying to them for ten years. A technicality, I know, but I revert back to my previous questions... When did he meet his wife and begin to build his family? And what bearing does this have on the situation and the story overall? Are these timeline discrepancies integral to the story? 

I certainly cannot wait to read on to see how or even if my questions will be addressed. 

Correspondent
T-Mo
0 Kudos

Excellent point! I had remembered that he credited her with helping him to kick his drug habit. However, I never considered that a clue might lie in the ordering of the words in the sentence. He very well may have met Zofia before he went to prison. But then wouldn't she have known about the prison sentence from ten years ago? Maybe he was telling her about it just to provide an over all recap of how me became an infiltrator. Or maybe they had met and parted ways only to meet again after his time in prison. 

I too wondered about his prison record. We were told that he accepted the job as an infiltrator so that his own criminal record would be hidden away (pg. 145). But now they've embellished so much that I'm not sure how he could survive on the outside as Piet Hoffmann, a known dangerous criminal. Maybe if all goes according to plan and he makes it out of prison the record will be erased? or maybe Piet Hoffmann is an alias, and he will carry on living his life under he true name? Or vice versa- he'll take on a new identity under some sort of witness protection program... so many questions still... 

thewanderingjew wrote:

I think I am going to answer my own question about when Piet met Zofia and kicked his drug habit..

On p.138, it says..."The rehab center, the fear, the prison sentence, the drug had been all consuming and everything else meaningless until the morning she was suddenly standing in front of him. He had never injected since.

From the order in the sentence, rehab center, fear, prison sentence, perhaps she met him before he went to prison but they didn't marry until afterwards.

I also wonder what part of his record is actually true now...Who really has the "real" copy of his past offenses?

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Maybe she knew about his prison record but not about his being an infiltrator. Erik Wilson keeps telling Piet to tell her. He keeps saying what about Zofia? I am beginning to feel sad for him because he has no real past and now he has no real future.

T-Mo wrote:

Excellent point! I had remembered that he credited her with helping him to kick his drug habit. However, I never considered that a clue might lie in the ordering of the words in the sentence. He very well may have met Zofia before he went to prison. But then wouldn't she have known about the prison sentence from ten years ago? Maybe he was telling her about it just to provide an over all recap of how me became an infiltrator. Or maybe they had met and parted ways only to meet again after his time in prison. 

I too wondered about his prison record. We were told that he accepted the job as an infiltrator so that his own criminal record would be hidden away (pg. 145). But now they've embellished so much that I'm not sure how he could survive on the outside as Piet Hoffmann, a known dangerous criminal. Maybe if all goes according to plan and he makes it out of prison the record will be erased? or maybe Piet Hoffmann is an alias, and he will carry on living his life under he true name? Or vice versa- he'll take on a new identity under some sort of witness protection program... so many questions still... 

Inspired Contributor
ilenekm
0 Kudos

I still dont feel that I know enough about Zofia to know whether she is an innocent who fell in love with Piet when he was in rehab and down on his luck or that she is involved somehow. Perhaps, Eriks insistence that Piet tell Zofia what is happening is a test or is a way of passing on information to another party that only Zofia knows. 

On the surface, I do feel bad for Piet and Zofia because they do really seem to care about each other or at least he does.  I do feel badly for the two little boys who are truly innocents in the story.

I've got to get reading part 3 now

Inspired Contributor
high96

T-Mo wrote:

I haven't looked back in the book.(It is not by my computer right now.) Are the dates written the same way you wrote them or do they actually say the month spelled out and then the day and year?

If they are written how you wrote them, then there is no discrepancy because the Europeans write in the format dd/mm/yy  so the dates  to us would be May 2, 1998, May 4, 1998, June 8, 1998, jailed on July 4, 1998, paroled July 1, 1999. So he would have been charged with the firearms offense in June and jailed in July. Maybe the English translation didn't catch this if it is written how you wrote them. Since most of the world writes it in the dd/mm/yy format except for American English, it may have been missed or not thought of to change it like the metric system and degrees Celsius. 

"I don't like secrets! All this cooking, and reading, and TV watching, while we... read and cook! It's like you're involving me in crime, and I let you! Why do I let you?" --Emile in "Ratatouille"
Contributor
torbank6
0 Kudos

I am really enjoying the book now...it is starting to get interesting and I hate to put it down....Piet has changed in the fact he is planning and he is very into himself...He even takes his ill children to "work" with him when he shouldn't have.

The pace and tension in the book is starting to move faster and is more intense. Piet's intentions are still unclear but he is very methodical and I am not sure why yet.  He certainly plans things out carefully and is thinking of the future and protecting himself.

I like Erik Wilson. I think he is one of the good guys and really likes Piet and tells him to watch out for himself...trust no one.

Zofia is hard to know...she is too trusting of Piet. She is passive until pushed too hard....I am not sure who she is.

I think Piet knows about prison life but has changed from that part of his past but now must go back to that life so he can be the informant and help wipe out the Mafia.

I have so far enjoyed the book and am now not wanting to put in down.

Torbank6

Contributor
tjewell
0 Kudos

Yes, the book is definitely going at full speed now.  The thrill of seeing what is going to happen next is intensifying.  Piet is definitely planning for something - hard to determine exactly what.  The expression that indicates the it takes a criminal to know how to act like one continues to unfold and we begin to see a side of Piet that we have not seen before.  He very cautious in everything that he does.  Really enjoying the book.

Contributor
redfraggle_98
0 Kudos

I am still really unsure of who the really Piet and Zofia are at this point in the book.  I think the level of planning and detail that he goes to though putting things in the book binding and flowers was just amazing.  This is really a page turner at this point, and I can't wait to see what happens.

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

high96 wrote:

T-Mo wrote:

In another thread I was curious as to when Piet and Zofia met, and how it relates to the story overall. Then while reading part two, when we are informed of Piet's criminal record, as it is listed in the Swedish National Police Board's records, we are told that he was cited on 2/5/98 for unlawful driving; on 4/5/98 for unlawful disposal; and on 8/6/98 for serious firearms offenses. We are further informed at the same time that he was jailed on 4/7/98 and paroled on 1/7/99. ( page 140). So, was he in prison when he was charged with the firearms offense? . 

I haven't looked back in the book.(It is not by my computer right now.) Are the dates written the same way you wrote them or do they actually say the month spelled out and then the day and year?

If they are written how you wrote them, then there is no discrepancy because the Europeans write in the format dd/mm/yy  so the dates  to us would be May 2, 1998, May 4, 1998, June 8, 1998, jailed on July 4, 1998, paroled July 1, 1999. So he would have been charged with the firearms offense in June and jailed in July. Maybe the English translation didn't catch this if it is written how you wrote them. Since most of the world writes it in the dd/mm/yy format except for American English, it may have been missed or not thought of to change it like the metric system and degrees Celsius. 

Great catch, high96.  I'll bet that explains it.

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

My ideas about Piet haven't changed a lot except he is more concerned about himself in this part.

The pace and tension are growing in this Part Two - makes me want to read ahead to see what is going to happen.

I think Piet's planning is very specific but the exact intention is still unclear to me.

I still am still trying to figure Wilson out.

I do not have a clear picture of Zofia but I am changing my mind about her a little. Now I am not sure she has some secret and  I think she may just play a minor part in this story.

What Piet knows about prisons and the life inside tells me he has been a criminal and he was a very intelligent one. He observes and is always aware of what is going on around him.

I haven't decided if the man the police arrest is the "real" Piet Hoffman. I think even when he was a "criminal" he probably wasn't as extreme as the man arrested but I could be wrong.

CAG
Correspondent
T-Mo
0 Kudos

Excellent clarification! Thank you so much for pointing that out- it makes so much more sense now. I hadn't thought of the formatting differences and the fact that it could have been lost in translation. Thanks for clearing that up for me- I certainly feel foolish, but am glad to have a better understanding. 

high96 wrote:

Contributor
corky200
0 Kudos

If I didn't have these posts to help me understand the plot, I doubt I would have continued reading. Many books are written from just one character's point of view but this one would have benefited from alternating chapters between main characters.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Have you read Let The Great World Spin? I had to take notes to keep track of the characters. There are 11 or 12 that are meaningful and several minor ones, as well, but It is a really good book.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

T-Mo wrote:

Excellent clarification! Thank you so much for pointing that out- it makes so much more sense now. I hadn't thought of the formatting differences and the fact that it could have been lost in translation. Thanks for clearing that up for me- I certainly feel foolish, but am glad to have a better understanding. 

high96 wrote:

Hope someone asks the authors about this. Wonder if it will get missed in the final version, too. 

I still think the "proofreading" possibilities of First Look could be better linked in the future.  As good as editors are, the eyes of so many seem like a resource to be tapped.   (And I do realize some of the dangers of unsolicited suggestions and comments.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

I just finished Part 3 for the new discussion tomorrow, and I can't believe that Rachel expects us to stick with the schedule after that part!  I'm sure she'll need to open a new thread for those who have read the whole book!  Part 3 was breathtaking!

Jane M.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JaneM wrote:

I just finished Part 3 for the new discussion tomorrow, and I can't believe that Rachel expects us to stick with the schedule after that part!  I'm sure she'll need to open a new thread for those who have read the whole book!  Part 3 was breathtaking!

You got it!  Will be curious as to whom, if anyone, was able to stop after reading it.
I actually missed the turning point -- and any cues leading to it.  I shall probably have to reread for the discussion ahead.
Does anyone else sometimes feel as if these authors don't always totally coordinate/meld the parts of the story each one writes?  While I can't be specific, quite often I have that "feeling."

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Correspondent
TudorRose

We get a much closer look at Piet Hoffmann in the brief days that make up Part Two of Three Seconds. What do we learn about him? Have your ideas about him changed or solidified?

I think what I learned about Piet is his ability to compartmentalize his life.  I can't imagine preparing to go back into prison voluntarily and sacrifice everything that was good in my life.  Piet's planning was impeccable and I imagine that is how he will survive (I am hoping her survives at any rate!)  He so obviously loves his wife and children, I just don't fully understand why he is risking all that for Erik Wilson and the government.  He made mistakes in his past and paid for them, why can't he leave all that behind him now?

We get a very detailed description of the progress of Piet's methodical action, without being given any explanations of what he's up to. Even when we "hear" his thinking, we get only small cryptic thoughts without knowing how to interpret them. What happens to the pace and the tension in the novel in these pages? 

For me the pace quickened and the tension was almost unbearable.  I was biting my nails the whole time and did not want to put the book down!  I loved that this section of the book was largely dedicated to Piet, I don't think switching between characters at this point in the story would have been good for my sanity!

Can you discern any of the intention of Piet's careful planning in these chapters?

I think smuggling the gun into Aspsas is pretty obvious, he is going to need to protect himself after things go bad in the prison, but all the planning outside the prison and what the nitroglycerine will be used for are beyond me at this point.  Obviously a bomb of some sort, but how will he set it up?  I'm having so much fun reading the story, I'm really not trying to think to far ahead in this one.

What do we learn about Erik Wilson in these chapters?

We learn that Erik genuinely likes Piet, but that makes me even more nervous about his character.  We still don't know too much about him or why he is flying back and forth between Sweden and the US.  Still don't really trust him, but he seems like a good guy on the surface.

Do you have a clearer picture of who Zofia is as a person?

For me, Zofia is still kind of nebulous.  We know that she loves her family, but I think we will learn more about her as we find out what her reaction to Piet's double-life will be.

What does it tell us about Piet that he knows so much about prisons and the life inside and around them?

For me, all this tells me is that he spent a lot of time in prison.  Doesn't make him a bad person, he made some mistakes and is trying to make up for it.  He is extraordinarily meticulous, observant, and intuitive.  I am hoping that these traits will keep him alive to reunite with his family at the end of the novel.

Is the man the police arrest in any way the "real" Piet Hoffmann?

Not at all.  I don't think that Piet is inherently violent.  But I think he will take whatever steps are necessary to protect himself and his family. 

I am enjoying this book more and more with each new section.  Can't wait to find out what happens next!

Kimberly from Ohio

"A room without a book is like a body without a soul"
~Marcus Tullius Cicero
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

JaneM wrote:

It was Breathtaking Jane, and I am reading on..I couldn't stop .So close to finding everything out...Will see how today goes..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Vermontcozy wrote:

JaneM wrote:

It was Breathtaking Jane, and I am reading on..I couldn't stop .So close to finding everything out...Will see how today goes..Susan

I couldn't agree more - my husband walked into the kitchen at 10:30 last night, where I was supposedly emptying the dishwasher...for every dish that got put away, 2 more pages would get read.   :smileyvery-happy:   So close to the end, I'm not sure I can bear to stick with a Part 3 discussion!

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon