Contributor
bmseara
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Part Two

My ideas about Piet have not changed - he is still the most interesting character in the book because I don't fully understand him yet.  I am not sure which person (Piet/Paula) will win in the end.  I am routing for the reformed criminal turned family man I just don't know if that will happen. 

Erik Wilson - I do not trust him.  I realize he has become personally invovled and too close to Piet, but I still don't trust him fully.  I just have a feeling that he will be the person who screws Piet in the end.  If that does happen I believe Erik will eventually get what he deserves, but it will take some time. 

Zofia - I still don't have much to say about her.  I think she was more aware of what was going on then she let us know, but I think she choose to ignore it.  She seems angry and upset yet it may all be part of the game. 

Of course the man the police arrest in the real Piet Hoffman.  I believe people can change, but I also beleive in situations that call for it their true self will appear.  Think about it - how many criminals are repeat offenders?  How many times has someone been released from jail only to turn around 2 or 3 weeks later and end up back there?  I think career criminals are just that - career criminals.  I do believe certain criminals can be rehabilitated I just am not sure Piet was one of them.  Seems to me he never really got away from a life of crime he just works on the right side of the law this time.  As i said in a post last week I think for him being an infiltrator allows his to justify his behavior. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I know other people expressed confusion and the book being hard to keep up with. Now that Christmas is getting closer, I find myself falling behind because of holiday activities and relatives coming in the weekend before Christmas. I have had a hard time with this book. I'm in the process of reading Stiegg Larson's first book of his trilogy and I'm finding that as being a piece of cake compared to this book. I will continue to read but am lagging behind at the moment.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

bmseara wrote:

My ideas about Piet have not changed - he is still the most interesting character in the book because I don't fully understand him yet.  I am not sure which person (Piet/Paula) will win in the end.  I am routing for the reformed criminal turned family man I just don't know if that will happen. 

Erik Wilson - I do not trust him.  I realize he has become personally invovled and too close to Piet, but I still don't trust him fully.  I just have a feeling that he will be the person who screws Piet in the end.  If that does happen I believe Erik will eventually get what he deserves, but it will take some time. 

Zofia - I still don't have much to say about her.  I think she was more aware of what was going on then she let us know, but I think she choose to ignore it.  She seems angry and upset yet it may all be part of the game. 

Of course the man the police arrest in the real Piet Hoffman.  I believe people can change, but I also beleive in situations that call for it their true self will appear.  Think about it - how many criminals are repeat offenders?  How many times has someone been released from jail only to turn around 2 or 3 weeks later and end up back there?  I think career criminals are just that - career criminals.  I do believe certain criminals can be rehabilitated I just am not sure Piet was one of them.  Seems to me he never really got away from a life of crime he just works on the right side of the law this time.  As i said in a post last week I think for him being an infiltrator allows his to justify his behavior. 

Tough judgments.

Always interesting when we make them about people whether we are right, whether we are willing to change them if certain facts materialize, and whether we will continue to find the evidence for our initial judgments.  These authors are superb in putting us to that test, I will say as a bit of foreshadowing to the next sections on this morning when discussion of the next part is about to begin.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

I know other people expressed confusion and the book being hard to keep up with. Now that Christmas is getting closer, I find myself falling behind because of holiday activities and relatives coming in the weekend before Christmas. I have had a hard time with this book. I'm in the process of reading Stiegg Larson's first book of his trilogy and I'm finding that as being a piece of cake compared to this book. I will continue to read but am lagging behind at the moment.

Maxcat -- I agree that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was an "easier" read than Three Seconds, although no less gripping.  Also, I agree with someone earlier who suggested that the character development was more vivid -- I don't believe that was the word that was used, perhaps simply that the characters were developed more.  I think one of the problems we have here was that Grens has been developed as a character in earlier books -- I don't read many serials, but several of the characters in TGwtDT carried forward into the remainder of the trilogy for me and I think I would have been lost or disliked the book if I had started with the third one (Kicked the Hornet's Nest), even though it is written to stand alone.  (I wonder if Erik Wilson is in earlier books. Guess that is a question I shall ask.)

I can't imagine what it would be like to be reading TGwtDT at the same time as Three Seconds!  And prepare for the holidays at the same time.  The more power to you.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

TudorRose wrote (excerpt):

We get a very detailed description of the progress of Piet's methodical action, without being given any explanations of what he's up to. Even when we "hear" his thinking, we get only small cryptic thoughts without knowing how to interpret them. What happens to the pace and the tension in the novel in these pages? 

For me the pace quickened and the tension was almost unbearable.  I was biting my nails the whole time and did not want to put the book down!  I loved that this section of the book was largely dedicated to Piet, I don't think switching between characters at this point in the story would have been good for my sanity!

LOL!

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

From what I read, Three Seconds is the fifth book in a five book series by these authors.   Book three and four have not yet been published. I think the common denominator is detectives Sven Sundkvist and Ewert Grens. I have a feeling this is one of those books that really comes together in the end. I actually found that to be true of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I had a hard time with the seond of that series because of the violence and sometimes there was a bit too much detail. The third, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's seemed less violent to me and more clear cut. I enjoyed them and I am really enjoying this. It has been keeping me on the edge of my seat, constantly surprised by the iunfolding ncidents in the story. I have recommended it to several people. It is a wonderful crime novel.

Peppermill wrote:

maxcat wrote:

Maxcat -- I agree that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was an "easier" read than Three Seconds, although no less gripping.  Also, I agree with someone earlier who suggested that the character development was more vivid -- I don't believe that was the word that was used, perhaps simply that the characters were developed more.  I think one of the problems we have here was that Grens has been developed as a character in earlier books -- I don't read many serials, but several of the characters in TGwtDT carried forward into the remainder of the trilogy for me and I think I would have been lost or disliked the book if I had started with the third one (Kicked the Hornet's Nest), even though it is written to stand alone.  (I wonder if Erik Wilson is in earlier books. Guess that is a question I shall ask.)

I can't imagine what it would be like to be reading TGwtDT at the same time as Three Seconds!  And prepare for the holidays at the same time.  The more power to you.

Pepper

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Pepper

Actually, Pepper, I started reading TGwtDT before I had my hands on the current book. I've been busy and found myself reading Stiegg Larsson to actually get myself into the international crime thought of mind. It's been difficult to read this particular book as there is to much description and too much writing on subjects for it to be close to 500 pages. I will keep reading but will be lagging behind. I find reading TGwtDT much more simpler to read when I thought it would be a hard book to read.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
wjbauer
0 Kudos

Rachel-K

This second part has been so exciting that I have not been able to concentrate on Christmas shopping. But I have discovered some gifts for myself...More books from these authors.

The items that Paula is gathering has me very interested in what he plans on doing with them. I think I have guessed that the books containing the small gun will be in the library for him to check out once he is in prison. Paula has been in prison before and I think all the planning he is doing will some how help him if trouble follows when he is in prison. The church planning has me wanting to read ahead to discover what happens, but I Must Not!

I am not sure his wife will follow through with what he has planned for her. I hope she does for her sake and the two boys.

When the police arrest Piet and he is put in prison I think he will be Paula and try and not be Piet. He has to be Paula, a hard personality, to survive prison.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

I began the third part and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I learned why Piet sent the yellow tulips to the warden? These authors have done one great job. Every page is a mind grabber.

Frequent Contributor
OKC_NookJA
0 Kudos

It was very interesting finding out in Part Two that the title of the book, Three Seconds, is  in reference to the time it would take for a bullet to be fired from a balcony of the church tower to a window in Aspas prison.

Being able to hid the drugs in poetry books still has me somewhat baffled. Perhaps the guards would check well enough for the possibility that contriband would be smuggled in library books.

Piet finally tells Zofia of his upcoming arrest. She doesn't respond. I would be interested to know why Zofia plays such a minor role in the book.

Piet spends too much time worrying about kids fever. That didn't add much to the story for me. It seems to show that even though he "feels" he loves them, his actions show that he doens't understand what loving your kids really means. Take another dose of medicine so it will knock you out.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

maxcat, I too am behind. I don't know what is about the book that I can't seem to get through. I must read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I have the first two and am waiting for the third to come out in paperback and I want to read them one after another.

I must say that I am not sure which side Piet is on. I was under the impression that he is uncover but I am not sure he is has gone over to the bad side. He is an interesting character to do what he does and have family. I don't think the family has any idea what is he doing.

The cop is funny and strange. He is still grieving over the lost of his wife/girlfriend and he is still working.

I must say that I am intrigued is see what will happen.

ReadingPatti

Reader
shortshellie
0 Kudos

I believe that he has been in prison at some point in his life. You can't get that much information being on the outside the whole time.

The book is still a little confusing at times. The little cryptic thoughts are very confusing.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

PIet was in prison. The police recruited him to their cause to infiltrate the drug cartel, and help them expose it, because he knew so much about it. Often, Piet exposes snippets of his past, out of time and context, and that can get confusing. He lives in both worlds, one for his family in which he is a businessman and an upstanding citizen and one for the police in which he engages in criminal activity. I know that is oversimplifiying the situation but it makes it easier for me to understand so I hope it helps you, as well.

shortshellie wrote:

I believe that he has been in prison at some point in his life. You can't get that much information being on the outside the whole time.

The book is still a little confusing at times. The little cryptic thoughts are very confusing.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Part Two (Spoiler Alert)

OKC_NookJA wrote {excerpt}:

Piet finally tells Zofia of his upcoming arrest. She doesn't respond. I would be interested to know why Zofia plays such a minor role in the book.

Spoiler Alert

Did the lack of detail, except Piet's love for Zofia and the other tidbits from his perspective, make her eventual "major" role all the more powerful?  I don't know if R&H thought that through artistically for structuring their book, but such was the impact for me.  She certainly validated his trust -- and provided a thought-provoking example of what trust, loyalty, and love (and fear?) can look like.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I began the third part and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I learned why Piet sent the yellow tulips to the warden? These authors have done one great job. Every page is a mind grabber.

I KNOW, oh how the plot thickens 

Contributor
abags
0 Kudos

I agree, he's putting an awful lot on the line for being a supposed rehabilitated criminal.  Either he's not rehabilitated at all or he is in way deeper and more serious than the reader knows at this point.  His family certainily isn't coming first, which is what Piet would like you to belive is most important to him.

Contributor
abags
0 Kudos

I agree with you both. I got off to a rocky start with the book and feel like I never really got into it and understood what was going on.  At this point it's pretty frustrating.  I keep trying to push through, but I"m really not liking the book very much.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

abags wrote:

I agree, he's putting an awful lot on the line for being a supposed rehabilitated criminal.  Either he's not rehabilitated at all or he is in way deeper and more serious than the reader knows at this point.  His family certainily isn't coming first, which is what Piet would like you to believe is most important to him.

Either he's not rehabilitated at all or he is in way deeper and more serious than the reader knows at this point.

Is that a view it is so very easy to take towards those who have gone wayward from society's norms?   Often with justification, too.

New User
blackjack77

Three Seconds: Part Two was fabulous!  The details were amazing.  I'm a Master Gardener and love flowers, gardening, etc.  The whole process with the tulips was absolutely fascinating to me!  I even described the details to my husband, who was also fascinated.  I have no idea if this is accurate or purely imaginary, and I had no idea where he was going with the tulips when he bought them, but I enjoyed reading about it.  I had no idea what any of his careful planning was for at this point.

Erik Wilson was an interesting part of the section.  It described his discussion with Piet/Paula, and made him seem to care personally.  He seemed to be giving Paula an "out" or escape, even though it was not in Erik's best interest professionally to lose Paula.  Like I said in Part One, I think the authors work some feelings into their descriptions and conversations, which I appreciate.  It isn't just action.  However, Erik also uses his position and charm to get Peit's records changed.  So he isn't an angel...

As for Zofia, I don't know that anything is clearer, but I felt a connection with her earlier.  Is her behavior typical? I think so.  Does she know more than she lets on?  I don't think so.  I think she is in the dark. Typical and average, doing the best she can as a working Mom married to a husband who travels, etc.  If you don't ask questions, you can't ruin the facade. 

Technically the man they arrested is named Piet Hoffman, but he is just acting the part.  I guess the real questions are, Is Piet the real Piet or is Paula?  Which "character" is the real man more like?

Frequent Contributor
ruthieWW
0 Kudos

In Part Two, we do get a closer look at Piet....calculating, skillfull, resourceful, prepared, organized. Inside his thoughts, we understand how detailed his plans are; how this objective consumes him.  If I didn't know any better, I would think his thoughts were criminal.

Erik, on the other hand, has shown an emotional side to his character; displaying some care and concern about Piet's welfare...so there is indeed a soft side to him.

Zofia is still in the dark...mysterious. Her reaction to her husband's lies are not what we expect; which leads me to believe that there is something brewing in her character.

As for the last question; I am still wondering about Piet. WILL THE REAL 'PIET HOFFMAN' PLEASE STAND UP???