Contributor
bmseara
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Police Work

I completely agree.  He is my favorite character and I find myself wanting to learn more about him.  I am trying to decide which persona is his true self.  Will the criminal previal or will the reformed criminal/family man.  It sure makes for some interesting reading. 

Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

bmseara wrote:

Unless I am mistaken I thought Erik Wilson let someone and I can't remember who know that the blood was a type of animal or something.  I can't remember where I read that, but I know it was close to the beginning of Part Two. 

On page 126, Nils Krantz states, "The smaller flecks of blood, the ones that belong to the murderer, don't come from anyone in our databases....." Wilson also states on page 125 that the blood on the shirt comes from someone not recorded in any Swedish database. But they also find flower fragments and 'Polish Yellow' residue on the shirt, associated with "...an amphetamine factory just outside Siedlce, a town about a hundred kilometers east of Warsaw." (Krantz, page 127)

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
Frequent Contributor
crazylilcuban

I agree, I think the fact that the names sound (and look) very foreign to us can make it a bit confusing. Especially place names! That's the one problem I've found in reading this book and when I read Larsson's trilogy. Sometimes I have a little trouble placing what's going on because I feel like I can't picture where people are going to or where they are in relation to each other. I think it can be a little more confusing than a novel that's placed in a more familiar setting.

Rachel-K wrote:

To Superbookworm: It may also be reading names that sound foreign to American ears! I kept a list of names and that helped me to sort out who was doing what a bit more quickly. However, all of our characters are working with deception and discovering deception!

Contributor
tempestuous9
0 Kudos

The murder victim was also working as an informant for the Danish police.  He was basically doing the same job as Piet/Paula does for the Swedish Police.

Grens, Hermansson and Sundkvist see the world of law enforcement as more black and white than that of Wilson and Hoffman.  Wilson who basically does what his superiors tell him to do is more concerned with catching the bigger fish in the pond than in dealing with simple murder.  Although they are all members of the same organization (even Hoffman who is paid out of reward money) they act so differently that it's hard to believe they work for the same organization.  Grens is a older style cop who wants to find out the answers regardless of who it might implicate whereas Wilson is more political and less concerned with the mundane crime of murder than he is will the Polish mafia and drug dealing.

Grens, Nils, and Einarsson are the older set of officers.  They seem to prescribe to a different code overall than the younger generations.  They have spent their lives working crimes and devoted their lives to solving them.  Because of this some of the younger less seasoned police officers think they are a bit odd.  The younger generation does not spend as much time concerned with their work.  They more easily leave their work at the office whereas the older officers lives revolve around work.

Undercover civilians in the police force are used because they can commit smaller crimes that will be over looked so that the bigger crimes can be prosecuted.