Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

Hi all,

Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom will be with us from Monday the 6th through the 24th. Please help them to feel welcome on our boards! Please use this thread to post your questions for them (and please also remember our reading schedule to avoid spoilers!)

Our discussion questions will be up this afternoon.

Rachel

Correspondent
Atreyu59

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

Welcome Authors & thanks for sharing your book with the group.  So far I am getting something out of the book, when initially I was having a difficult time trying to follow along.

I like how you paint a good picture of the good guys and especially the bad guys.

While many folks have a love hate relationship with the bad characters it is hard to be mad or totally dislike /discredit the criminals since you show a side of them we may not see often- a family man concerned for his child and family life like normal good everyday folks.

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome, Anders and Borge! We are delighted and honored to have you with us to discuss your book. Thank you for the opportunity of reading it in this setting.

My question is what do you base your characters and stories on? How do they come to you? They seem so real and easy to imagine.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Valkommen..My Swedish is very,very rusty.Had fun though pronouncing all the street names and areas in Sweden..Its been a real joy to have all the characters become so real to me and visualizing them..My question for now is "Are The Drug Rehabilitation programs somewhat successful in Sweden."?..It seems like a more civilized approach then what we have here..Just one more question.." Is Interpol used by all the Scandinavian Countries as a Central Database,or is sharing information still not popular"?.Glad you could join us..It makes such a difference to have The Authors interact with the Readers...Just read your interview on "The Rap" sheet..That was so good...Thank you...Susan Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Welcome and thank you for joining us.

1-In the introductory statements before your Rap Sheet interview, it is mentioned that Little Brown UK stopped publishing your work in English. What was their reason? Your books are top notch, award-winning novels so why wouldn't they continue to publish them in English.

2-In all the descriptions, the manuscript of the book has over 600 pages but our version is just under 500? Has it been revised for the English translation or revised in general or is it the size of our copy which is a paperback, the size of a hardcover, that makes the difference?

Inspired Contributor
MomOf2Turds
0 Kudos

Greetings Anders and Borge.

I wanted to start off by saying thank you so much for giving us this opportunity to not only read your book, but to discuss it with you.  It is such an honor.

I love the way you describe so many things in the book.  You guys have done a wonderful job in writing this novel.  

My question is this:

While writing this book, did you visit the places that you write about, or are they just places that are more well known to people in general and localized to you?

“A home without books is a body without soul.” ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Anders and Borge, welcome to B&N First Look group. I do have a hard time with this book as I don't read anything that involves drug trafficking. It's interesting to find that there are different mafias around the world and it sort of surprised me as well. Are infiltrators often used to get to these bad guys in Sweden, etc.?

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

Welcome Anders and Borge to the First Look book club, and thank you for giving us the opportunity to preview your book!!!

So far I'm totally enthralled and forcing myself to stick to the schedule.

I have never been introduced to Swedish crime novels until now, but thanks to you I'm certainly going to track them down---especially your previous books!

Looking forward to your insight during the next couple of weeks. :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Welcome Anders and Borge,

We readers are delighted to have this chance to interact with you and ask our questions directly.  I expect you find some of our speculative comments amusing, as we try to apply our own deductive powers to the carefully limited information you provide us.

I do have a question or two but they concern the later sections of the book - that we're not supposed to be talking about yet.  So I'll have to return next week;

But just let me say, 'Well done, you two!'  What a totally engrossing book!  You've earned another American reader.  I am so, so glad that we have access to so many fine translations these days.  You Scandinavians have certainly enriched our bookshelves.

Jo in Phoenix

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Welcome to both of you. I am really enjoying your book and know it will be a great success. I know just a little bit about your background and I am curious about your writing process. How do you come up with the ideas for your novels and do you each write different chapters/parts and then combine your writing? How long did it take for you to write "Three Seconds". Thank you for joining us.

CAG
Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

Thanks to you gentlemen for sharing your book with us.  We love the First Look club and enjoy our dialogues with the authors.  My question has to do with the use of italics. 

What is confusing to me is the shift from italic to regular type, and what that indicates.  On p. 6 italic is used for non-translated Polish.  Then on p.7, italics are used again, and I interpreted it as part of Wilson's mental thought process.  Then on p. 9 italics are used to represent Piet's half of a phone conversation which saves the authors from having to use a lot of "Paula said" or "Erik said."  But on p.14 another conversation occurs between Grens and Susann with no change in type.  And on p.17, italics are used both as a reference to an internal thought ("Don't you trust me, you bastard") as well as to indicate emphasis ("I repeat, which section?") 

Did you work with your editors on the italics and do they have any significance other than what I presumed?  I look forward to finishing the book!

Jane M.
Author
Anders-Roslund

Hi, thanks for reading Three Seconds … and thanks for your question. We think society often perceives crime victims and perpetrators in a stereotypical light. Society has created a picture of two different types of people, but in reality neither is black or white, there is an enormous grey area. One day you’re a perpetrator, the next a victim.

Börge is an ex-con, who was charged with assault, theft, fraud, and burglary. But, he was also the victim of numerous crimes, including being sexually abused as a child.  

So – he was both the perpetrator and the victim.

Was he good or evil?

As the perpetrator, he was in the wrong.

As the victim, however, he was the person who had been affected by a crime, and is someone we can sympathize with.

We have tried to explore this theme in our books. Who is evil, who is good? Who is right and who is wrong? Who is the perpetrator and who is the victim, or are they both?

Thank you,

Anders and Börge

Author
Anders-Roslund

Hi, and thanks for reading … in short, it is often the advantage of middle age. We’re two men in the middle of having lived two very different lives. Anders worked for many years as an investigative journalist and a probation officer for criminals, who were charged with very serious crimes. Börge has been in prison himself, but eventually went on to start a nonprofit organization to help rehabilitate criminals. Together we pull from a vast reservoir of real world experience and knowledge, which helps us create interesting, realistic characters.

Thank you,

Anders and Börge

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi and welcome to B&N gentlemen, I have no questions just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying reading your new novel, reading between the lines and getting to know all the characters.

Thank you for being here and sharing your work with us.

Author
Borge-Hellstrom
0 Kudos

Valkommen, Susan! We’re happy to hear from you. To answer your first question, currently the success rate of rehabilitating Swedish drug addicts is fairly low. However, they are now integrating a Twelve Step Program, which is starting to produce some interesting results.

Your second question indicates that you know something about our laws in Sweden that govern all work related records and registration of personal information. Sweden still keeps its own database, however, Interpol agents who come to Sweden on a mission always work in cooperation with the Swedish police and the Government of Sweden.

Thank you,

Börge and Anders

Vermontcozy wrote:

Valkommen..My Swedish is very,very rusty.Had fun though pronouncing all the street names and areas in Sweden..Its been a real joy to have all the characters become so real to me and visualizing them..My question for now is "Are The Drug Rehabilitation programs somewhat successful in Sweden."?..It seems like a more civilized approach then what we have here..Just one more question.." Is Interpol used by all the Scandinavian Countries as a Central Database,or is sharing information still not popular"?.Glad you could join us..It makes such a difference to have The Authors interact with the Readers...Just read your interview on "The Rap" sheet..That was so good...Thank you...Susan Vtc

Frequent Contributor
nbmars

Welcome and thank you both so much for your book!

I am interested in the moral issues - what do you all (as opposed to the characters) actually feel about using informants?  Do you feel the risk to individual informants is justified?  Do you have any feelings about the use of criminal versus police undercover informants?  Do you think there are adequate protections for informants?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Borge-Hellstrom wrote:

Valkommen, Susan! We’re happy to hear from you. To answer your first question, currently the success rate of rehabilitating Swedish drug addicts is fairly low. However, they are now integrating a Twelve Step Program, which is starting to produce some interesting results.

Your second question indicates that you know something about our laws in Sweden that govern all work related records and registration of personal information. Sweden still keeps its own database, however, Interpol agents who come to Sweden on a mission always work in cooperation with the Swedish police and the Government of Sweden.

Thank you,

Börge and Anders

Vermontcozy wrote:

Good Evening..Thank you for your response..The little  I recall from my Swedish friends, two went on to be Attorneys,long ago are prevalent in "3" Seconds..In our USA..in compared to The Swedish Justice system,we seem barbaric in some respects..I think you take a more civilized approach to the Criminal element..And as you stated  Good?Bad? very Gray areas....I might not have the Popular vote with some of my comments..But Unless The Police can prove to me they are not profiting from "These Crimes" I always take The other side..As always in the US as well..there is that fine line I always refer to between The Police and The Criminals.I am so involved in "3"Seconds,as you can tell we all are very committed...Good Luck with the 12 sttep program.in Sweden,,.People need each other in times of crisis..Will be reading more of your books after Three Seconds  Grens is fascinating..And Erik not a favorite..Piet  I must not Judge him  its too soon...Best Susan VT...When you can, What are some of both of yours  Favorite Authors...Thanks,,,

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Thank you  =)

Anders-Roslund wrote:

Hi, and thanks for reading … in short, it is often the advantage of middle age. We’re two men in the middle of having lived two very different lives. Anders worked for many years as an investigative journalist and a probation officer for criminals, who were charged with very serious crimes. Börge has been in prison himself, but eventually went on to start a nonprofit organization to help rehabilitate criminals. Together we pull from a vast reservoir of real world experience and knowledge, which helps us create interesting, realistic characters.

Thank you,

Anders and Börge

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to our little corner of the world, Anders and Borge,

We have a lot of fun and the excitement in which we look forward to or First Look Books is unbelievable.  I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for allowing us to read your novel and also to allow us to discuss all of it's intriging twists and turns. 

What I personally am enjoying is the depths in which your characters are going.  I'm sure that I couldn't do what your characters are doing or at least portraying.   

My question to the both of you is this, - What inspired you to write a novel such as "Three Seconds", and is there any truth to this story?

Again, welcome to First Look,  I'm sure that your time here will be at the very least, an eye opener.  We do love to read and discuss what we are reading.  Good Luck with this new venture. 

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Contributor
Passie71
0 Kudos

I LOVE this book so far!  Thank you for the opportunity to read and discuss your book with you!!

In the beginning it was hard to follow the characters or exactly what they were doing.  "Mules" are new to me but I have gained a lot of knowledge about the drug world through your book.  It is amazing that these things happen but not very surprising. 

I enjoy finding out about what makes each character click...their personal life about the bad guys and the good guys.  You have really captured this aspect. 

My question for you is, what made you write this book with these characters?  Why did you not publish in English before now?  How long did it take you to complete this book from start to finish?

Looking forward to Part 3!!

Staci