Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

Anders and Borge --

 

We know Ewert Grens appears in your earlier books and I presume his boss Fredrik Göransson and Sven Sundkvist do as well.  But what other key or supporting characters here in Three Seconds?

 

For example, Erik Wilson (possible?) or Piet Hoffmann (unlikely?) or Zofia (more unlikely?) or Nils Krantz (possible?) or Tor Einarsson (possible?) ..... 

 

Thanks!

 

Pepper

 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
mystery-woman
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎04-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

A quick question for the author, what other books do you have that involve the characters from 3 Seconds, that are translated into English?  So far all I have found is Box 21.  Is that it or are there more?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?


mystery-woman wrote:

A quick question for the author, what other books do you have that involve the characters from 3 Seconds, that are translated into English?  So far all I have found is Box 21.  Is that it or are there more?


Hi Mystery-Woman if you go to  http://www.roslund-hellstrom.com/   That is Our Authors official Website  All of their books are Listed and Shown... and excellent Info,,Each Book will tell you if it has been translated into English and if it is in the proccess of. I learned a lot ...Susan.....

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
Posts: 220
Registered: ‎01-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?


Vermontcozy wrote:

Hi Mystery-Woman if you go to  http://www.roslund-hellstrom.com/   That is Our Authors official Website  All of their books are Listed and Shown... and excellent Info,,Each Book will tell you if it has been translated into English and if it is in the proccess of. I learned a lot ...Susan.....

Susan, thanks for reminding us of that link.  I just returned to it and found it very useful.  It appears that the authors' third book - Redemption - is under translation for the US, but I see no notation of publishing rights or translation for their fourth novel, the one just before this one.  And they take on complicated moral issues, as with this book.  Redemption deals with the death penalty, and "Girl Below the Stairs" with homelessness.  I'm betting with the publicity and success of this one, their earlier works will be in the stores within months! 

Frequent Contributor
bettymac
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

Thank you for letting us read Three Seconds as it is about to be published in the States. I am sure you will develop a large reading audience. I struggled early with names but that difficulty seemed fitting for a story that was about subterfuge and intrigue and deception. Piet was a very intriguing character and I found myself both liking and disliking him as I saw different sides to him.  The book certainly does give the reader much to think about and educates one about the inner workings of the drug trade. Wow! I particularly was struck by the life of the mules in the beginning of the story. My heart ached for those who find themselves feeling they have no other choice. Thank you again for letting us preview this book and for both entertaining and educating us.

Betty

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
Contributor
beak77
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎11-03-2010

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?


BookWoman718 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Hi Mystery-Woman if you go to  http://www.roslund-hellstrom.com/   That is Our Authors official Website  All of their books are Listed and Shown... and excellent Info,,Each Book will tell you if it has been translated into English and if it is in the proccess of. I learned a lot ...Susan.....

Susan, thanks for reminding us of that link.  I just returned to it and found it very useful.  It appears that the authors' third book - Redemption - is under translation for the US, but I see no notation of publishing rights or translation for their fourth novel, the one just before this one.  And they take on complicated moral issues, as with this book.  Redemption deals with the death penalty, and "Girl Below the Stairs" with homelessness.  I'm betting with the publicity and success of this one, their earlier works will be in the stores within months! 


 

In the link with the interview with the authors, they stated that the translations of the skipped books would be at a rate of about 1 a year.

 

Correspondent
Sadie1
Posts: 74
Registered: ‎07-16-2009

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?


Ronrose wrote:

Welcome and thank you for allowing us to  join you in this discussion of your exceptional book. I think it is a fascinating view of the interactions of police and criminals that we don't often get. You show us there is a fine line between the two that is often crossed. I was very fascinated by the planning of Piet Hoffman as he prepares to go to prison. Surely you gentlemen must be extraordinary chess players, for I felt that I was watching a game played by a grand master. So many moves ahead of his opponents. I can't say more at this early stage, but bravo for the excellent plotting.


Ronrose, You described it beautifully!  This is a master plot!

 

Lisa in Georgia

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?


beak77 wrote:

BookWoman718 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Hi Mystery-Woman if you go to  http://www.roslund-hellstrom.com/   That is Our Authors official Website  All of their books are Listed and Shown... and excellent Info,,Each Book will tell you if it has been translated into English and if it is in the proccess of. I learned a lot ...Susan.....

Susan, thanks for reminding us of that link.  I just returned to it and found it very useful.  It appears that the authors' third book - Redemption - is under translation for the US, but I see no notation of publishing rights or translation for their fourth novel, the one just before this one.  And they take on complicated moral issues, as with this book.  Redemption deals with the death penalty, and "Girl Below the Stairs" with homelessness.  I'm betting with the publicity and success of this one, their earlier works will be in the stores within months! 


 

In the link with the interview with the authors, they stated that the translations of the skipped books would be at a rate of about 1 a year.

 


Glad it was helpful..It certainly does take a while for Translations,But we have "Box 21".So many Great Posts..One of The Best FirstLook Book Clubs..We are a Curious,sleuthing Group.....Must have a look at who translated"Box 21" When Anders and Borge Tour  It wouldn't surprise me if they stop in MN..First..As we know ,a Large Scandinavian Population there  I did subscribe to their website for any updates..We are a loyal group..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
TheBookNut
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎08-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

Welcome Anders and Borge.  Thank you for letting us read your book.  It's amazing how much it has drawn me in.  I will admit that I had a hard time reading it at first like some others.  Not that it wasn't interesting, because it very much is.  It must have just been the writing style because once I got used to it I couldn't put the book down.  I've read mysteries and crime fiction but I've never had one keep my interest like this one.

 

I do agree that when Piet is getting ready to go to prison, it's amazing the preperations he makes.  He is thinking SO many steps ahead that it's scary.  But I'm curious about the mules.  In your research, did you contact anyone who might have ever been one or known someone who had done that type of work before?  Or was that research all done through reading and internet searches and such?  To me that is such a scary thing to do, they way they transport drugs.  How common of a practice is it?

 

Thanks for your time,

Rose

Frequent Contributor
OKC_NookJA
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎08-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

I like it that Three Seconds explores social issues and look forward to reading your other novels when they are translated.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

R&H -- what's it like as authors to watch a group of readers discuss your book this way?

 

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
Posts: 220
Registered: ‎01-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

Hello yet again Anders and Borge,

 

Now that we're deeper into the book I'd like to ask about your inspiration for this story.  It's obvious you know a lot about the drug trade, prisoners, the problems of ex-cons, and other plot elements.  I'm wondering if there has been a real-life case that unfolded the way this one does - an infiltrator getting high in the criminal gang, placed inside a prison for police purposes, and then double-crossed and 'burned' by the people on the outside who were supposed to have his back?   Is it really true that the police who handle these informants view them as expendable to the point that they would actually plot to kill them?   I assumed 'expendable' implied that when they were no longer useful, they were cut loose to make it on their own, but setting them up, or even allowing them, to be killed,  has to be a criminal act in itself.  Hopefully, that really hasn't happened?    Or is this story just a further extrapolation of the way you see things going?  

Thanks, we really appreciate your input.

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
Posts: 220
Registered: ‎01-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?


Peppermill wrote:

Anders and Borge --

 

We know Ewert Grens appears in your earlier books and I presume his boss Fredrik Göransson and Sven Sundkvist do as well.  But what other key or supporting characters here in Three Seconds?

 

For example, Erik Wilson (possible?) or Piet Hoffmann (unlikely?) or Zofia (more unlikely?) or Nils Krantz (possible?) or Tor Einarsson (possible?) ..... 

 

Thanks!

 

Pepper

 


Hi Pepper,

 

Now that I've finished The Beast, I can tell you that both the young prosecutor Agestram, and the prison warden Oscarsson appeared in that book as well.  It gives nothing away to say that in that book, the central criminal character has escaped from the Aspsas prison.  Oh, and Nils Krantz was in there too, I believe.  For a somewhat minor character, Sven serves a nice balance of roles.  He's a steady, hardworking cop, like the much loonier Grens, whom he greatly admires.  He's a devoted family man, like Piet in this book, torn between the demands of his two worlds.  Overall, a nice human being that you might actually like to know, unlike so many of these characters. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?


BookWoman718 wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Anders and Borge --

 

We know Ewert Grens appears in your earlier books and I presume his boss Fredrik Göransson and Sven Sundkvist do as well.  But what other key or supporting characters here in Three Seconds?

 

For example, Erik Wilson (possible?) or Piet Hoffmann (unlikely?) or Zofia (more unlikely?) or Nils Krantz (possible?) or Tor Einarsson (possible?) ..... 

 

Thanks!

 

Pepper

 


Hi Pepper,

 

Now that I've finished The Beast, I can tell you that both the young prosecutor Agestram, and the prison warden Oscarsson appeared in that book as well.  It gives nothing away to say that in that book, the central criminal character has escaped from the Aspsas prison.  Oh, and Nils Krantz was in there too, I believe.  For a somewhat minor character, Sven serves a nice balance of roles.  He's a steady, hardworking cop, like the much loonier Grens, whom he greatly admires.  He's a devoted family man, like Piet in this book, torn between the demands of his two worlds.  Overall, a nice human being that you might actually like to know, unlike so many of these characters. 


Thank you BookWoman718,I love knowing the facts from one who has read "3 Seconds." I am almost  finished with Part 4... I.Must continue with the series !! Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?


Peppermill wrote:

R&H -- what's it like as authors to watch a group of readers discuss your book this way?

 

Pepper


Good halsa to All..Pepper Thanks for asking Anders and Borge how it feels to have us here asking so many questions,critiquing and dissecting "Three Seconds"..Also Pepper.I am going to ask this Question in The Community Room as well,but what book of Anders and Borge will you be reading next?It would be wonderful if we can start our own BC with one of their books..I am open to whichever one we all chose,,I believe "Box 21" and "The Beast " are available..BW718 read "The Beast "as you know,it does sound great....Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

 


BookWoman718 wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Anders and Borge --

 

We know Ewert Grens appears in your earlier books and I presume his boss Fredrik Göransson and Sven Sundkvist do as well.  But what other key or supporting characters here in Three Seconds?

 

For example, Erik Wilson (possible?) or Piet Hoffmann (unlikely?) or Zofia (more unlikely?) or Nils Krantz (possible?) or Tor Einarsson (possible?) ..... 

 

Thanks!

 

Pepper

 


Hi Pepper,

 

Now that I've finished The Beast, I can tell you that both the young prosecutor Agestram, and the prison warden Oscarsson appeared in that book as well.  It gives nothing away to say that in that book, the central criminal character has escaped from the Aspsas prison.  Oh, and Nils Krantz was in there too, I believe.  For a somewhat minor character, Sven serves a nice balance of roles.  He's a steady, hardworking cop, like the much loonier Grens, whom he greatly admires.  He's a devoted family man, like Piet in this book, torn between the demands of his two worlds.  Overall, a nice human being that you might actually like to know, unlike so many of these characters. 


 

Thanks, BookWoman.  Is Anni there, too?  (I believe that is the name of Ewert's wife -- I may be mistaken.)

 

Pepper 

 

(Is the order of the five books:  The Beast, Box 21, Redemption, The Girl Beneath the Street, Three Seconds -- I believe The Vault an alternative name for Box 21?   I am writing this without going and checking their web site, which confused me on the subject -- okay, so I did go and make one check -- I think now that order is probably correct, at least as written.  But that may not be true for the stories themselves.  The one that still continues to "call" to me is whichever deals with the tragedy surrounding Ewert's wife.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Correspondent
scnole
Posts: 103
Registered: ‎11-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us.


pen21 wrote:

 


Vermontcozy wrote:

literature wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Croissants, coffee, fruit and juice for our authors and for everyone.

Stop by, relax and discuss Three Seconds.

What a great discussion we are having.

pen21 and Vermontcozy

 


Very clever, ladies.  You're both great.  Only "trusted" friends would be so thoughtful.


Thank you. literature  ..We try to do our "Cyber Catering"..Maybe later a little stronger Beverage...Will talk to my Associate  later.. VermontCozy and pen21 DBA "We Deliver"..There has been a lot of "Buzz" about "Three Seconds" around the web..All Kudo's to our Authors..


 

Thank you literature.  Here are some treats suggested from VermontCozy.

Because of the time change I figured the authors would be ready for the grogg (recipe below for us who didn't know what the recipe was). Also the herring in cream sauce.

Everyone enjoy. VermontCozy and pen21

Glögg is hot, spiced wine, perfect for cold winter evenings. Just follow this easy Glogg recipe to make your own great-tasting spiced wine. Variations are optional and add great personalized taste to your own "Glögg"!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes 
Ingredients:
  • 1 bottle of red wine
  • 0.5 Liter inexpensive brandy or vodka
  • 10 cardamom pods
  • 1 cinnamon stick (broken down)
  • 1/2 orange peel (dried or fresh)
  • 1/2 lbs sugar (regular or lumps)
  • Optional additions: 5 cloves, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup almonds, 5 dried figs
Preparation:

Heat the wine and brandy spices, fruit, and nuts in a pot (and any optional additions you might like.)

Be careful not to boil the mixture; just let it simmer for about 45 minutes.

Then, strain through a cloth to remove all additions.

Serve your Glogg hot over lumped sugar (or with regular granulated sugar).

Optional: You can also serve the Glogg with raisons or almonds. If you'd like the drink to be stronger, use more brandy.

This Glogg recipe makes approx 1.5 Liter (close to 1/2 gallon).


 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?


scnole wrote:

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us.


pen21 wrote:

 


Vermontcozy wrote:

literature wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Croissants, coffee, fruit and juice for our authors and for everyone.

Stop by, relax and discuss Three Seconds.

What a great discussion we are having.

pen21 and Vermontcozy

 


Very clever, ladies.  You're both great.  Only "trusted" friends would be so thoughtful.


Thank you. literature  ..We try to do our "Cyber Catering"..Maybe later a little stronger Beverage...Will talk to my Associate  later.. VermontCozy and pen21 DBA "We Deliver"..There has been a lot of "Buzz" about "Three Seconds" around the web..All Kudo's to our Authors..


 

Thank you literature.  Here are some treats suggested from VermontCozy.

Because of the time change I figured the authors would be ready for the grogg (recipe below for us who didn't know what the recipe was). Also the herring in cream sauce.

Everyone enjoy. VermontCozy and pen21

Glögg is hot, spiced wine, perfect for cold winter evenings. Just follow this easy Glogg recipe to make your own great-tasting spiced wine. Variations are optional and add great personalized taste to your own "Glögg"!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes 
Ingredients:
  • 1 bottle of red wine
  • 0.5 Liter inexpensive brandy or vodka
  • 10 cardamom pods
  • 1 cinnamon stick (broken down)
  • 1/2 orange peel (dried or fresh)
  • 1/2 lbs sugar (regular or lumps)
  • Optional additions: 5 cloves, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup almonds, 5 dried figs
Preparation:

Heat the wine and brandy spices, fruit, and nuts in a pot (and any optional additions you might like.)

Be careful not to boil the mixture; just let it simmer for about 45 minutes.

Then, strain through a cloth to remove all additions.

Serve your Glogg hot over lumped sugar (or with regular granulated sugar).

Optional: You can also serve the Glogg with raisons or almonds. If you'd like the drink to be stronger, use more brandy.

This Glogg recipe makes approx 1.5 Liter (close to 1/2 gallon).


 


Its so Delicious.scnole,.pen found a great recipe...Perfect for God Jul  Merry Christmas in Swedish,And They do Celebrate Well !!!   Isn't that so Anders and Borge..We miss your comments...Susan,pen and All FirstLookers

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
Posts: 220
Registered: ‎01-28-2007

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

[ Edited ]

Dear Anders and Borge,

 

I'm wondering if you've been unexpectedly reassigned to the FLETC, because you seem to have suddenly disappeared just when we are most in need of you.

 

And you forgot to leave us that special cell phone that only rings your secret number...  Or at least I didn't get mine.  

 

Please get in touch again.  Christmas preparations are heating up, and any one of us could be taken hostage by an outraged spouse whom we've been ignoring while we are breathlessly reading your book.

 

Hoping that the book tour is going well and that you haven't been burned yourselves,

Your fan,

BookWoman718

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?


BookWoman718 wrote:

Dear Anders and Borge,

 

I'm wondering if you've been unexpectedly reassigned to the FLETC, because you seem to have suddenly disappeared just when we are most in need of you.

 

And you forgot to leave us that special cell phone that only rings your secret number...  Or at least I didn't get mine.  

 

Please get in touch again.  Christmas preparations are heating up, and any one of us could be taken hostage by an outraged spouse whom we've been ignoring while we are breathlessly reading your book.

 

Hoping that the book tour is going well and that you haven't been burned yourselves,

Your fan,

BookWoman718


BookWoman718..Seems like a Book can be written based on your comments....Readers living in "Three Seconds"..My Special Phone hasn't arrived yet either...But AgentTWJ,and Agent Pepper.Must have their's but are very secretive..pen21 won't talk about it,yet. dhaupt is very tight lipped,and Literature.must be abroad..If anyone knows whats going on,please let us know.....Susan...A fan as well....               .(.SwedeCrime on twitter) I will check..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer