Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

Vermontcozy wrote:

BookWoman718 wrote:

Dear Anders and Borge,

I'm wondering if you've been unexpectedly reassigned to the FLETC, because you seem to have suddenly disappeared just when we are most in need of you.

And you forgot to leave us that special cell phone that only rings your secret number...  Or at least I didn't get mine.  

Please get in touch again.  Christmas preparations are heating up, and any one of us could be taken hostage by an outraged spouse whom we've been ignoring while we are breathlessly reading your book.

Hoping that the book tour is going well and that you haven't been burned yourselves,

Your fan,

BookWoman718

BookWoman718..Seems like a Book can be written based on your comments....Readers living in "Three Seconds"..My Special Phone hasn't arrived yet either...But AgentTWJ,and Agent Pepper.Must have their's but are very secretive..pen21 won't talk about it,yet. dhaupt is very tight lipped,and Literature.must be abroad..If anyone knows whats going on,please let us know.....Susan...A fan as well....               .(.SwedeCrime on twitter) I will check..

If they are lke me, they got wrapped up in making cookies. It is very time consuming but so wonderful to eat and your house smells great. I have to read once a pan is in the oven til the timer rings.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

pen21 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

BookWoman718 wrote:

Dear Anders and Borge,

I'm wondering if you've been unexpectedly reassigned to the FLETC, because you seem to have suddenly disappeared just when we are most in need of you.

And you forgot to leave us that special cell phone that only rings your secret number...  Or at least I didn't get mine.  

Please get in touch again.  Christmas preparations are heating up, and any one of us could be taken hostage by an outraged spouse whom we've been ignoring while we are breathlessly reading your book.

Hoping that the book tour is going well and that you haven't been burned yourselves,

Your fan,

BookWoman718

BookWoman718..Seems like a Book can be written based on your comments....Readers living in "Three Seconds"..My Special Phone hasn't arrived yet either...But AgentTWJ,and Agent Pepper.Must have their's but are very secretive..pen21 won't talk about it,yet. dhaupt is very tight lipped,and Literature.must be abroad..If anyone knows whats going on,please let us know.....Susan...A fan as well....               .(.SwedeCrime on twitter) I will check..

If they are lke me, they got wrapped up in making cookies. It is very time consuming but so wonderful to eat and your house smells great. I have to read once a pan is in the oven til the timer rings.

"Giggle" Yes of course  Anders and Borge are Making "Swedish Ginger Cookies" (PepparKaKor) Very good,Sweet and Buttery.Ginger cookies..I imagine them in The Kitchen".   with you."Agent pen.".....So true,the house still smells good... I made some ( a small batch) of "Ruggalah " Its a Pastry that my daughter loves..I made the dough a few days ago rolled it up in Wax paper...I froze one and used the other one that was refrigerated..One batch is Done..I had 2...19 left...Will see my daughter Sunday....So hard to resist.   :  ).Will make the other one tonight... Could be good to smuggle into a Prison,I suppose ,as long as one makes a Batch for The Warden and Prison Guards....Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd

She was also in policing with her husband and was injured (quite dramitically) on the job.  It is discussed in Three Seconds, towards the end of the book.  Hope that helps.

mommybooknerd wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Would appreciate knowing:

How did Grens wife end up in the nursing home?  In what book is that story told?  One that is available in English?

Pepper

You are the author of your own life story.
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

"Giggle" Yes of course  Anders and Borge are Making "Swedish Ginger Cookies" (PepparKaKor) Very good,Sweet and Buttery.Ginger cookies..I imagine them in The Kitchen".   with you."Agent pen.".....So true,the house still smells good... I made some ( a small batch) of "Ruggalah " Its a Pastry that my daughter loves..I made the dough a few days ago rolled it up in Wax paper...I froze one and used the other one that was refrigerated..One batch is Done..I had 2...19 left...Will see my daughter Sunday....So hard to resist.   :  ).Will make the other one tonight... Could be good to smuggle into a Prison,I suppose ,as long as one makes a Batch for The Warden and Prison Guards....Susan

My dau-in-law is of 100 percent Norwegian descent.  She makes Krumkake  (pr  Kroom ka ke)

and another cookie-ish thing, whose name I can't recall.  The dough for that is rolled very thin and cooked like a crepe, then rolled up to cool and dusted with powdered sugar.  They are a bit tricky to make and thus are met with hearty approval at gatherings of Norwegian relatives. I think it's a taste one must acquire in early childhood.  They are so 'plain vanilla' as to make sugar cookies taste exotic.  (No offense intended, dear Norwegian friends;  I feel like Garrison Keillor even mentioning it.)  Anyway, cookie baking of various types is, indeed, taken seriously in the Scandinavias  and that perhaps explains our authors' silence.  Too busy munching.   

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

My dau-in-law is of 100 percent Norwegian descent.  She makes Krumkake  (pr  Kroom ka ke)

and another cookie-ish thing, whose name I can't recall.  The dough for that is rolled very thin and cooked like a crepe, then rolled up to cool and dusted with powdered sugar.  They are a bit tricky to make and thus are met with hearty approval at gatherings of Norwegian relatives. I think it's a taste one must acquire in early childhood.  They are so 'plain vanilla' as to make sugar cookies taste exotic.  (No offense intended, dear Norwegian friends;  I feel like Garrison Keillor even mentioning it.)  Anyway, cookie baking of various types is, indeed, taken seriously in the Scandinavias  and that perhaps explains our authors' silence.  Too busy munching.   

Well at least we are all keeping busy,with our recipes..I enjoy all this,,But ,I did have a Look at SwedeCrime on twitter..They do mention us  BN Readers of "3" Seconds,as having the Best questions,   It was dated 12/10  ,but they asked everyone to leave a Message on FB...Which I only used when Paul asked us to like St.Martins Press...We still have next week..Garrison Kellor is on soon on VPR..He is so Fun...

Inspired Contributor
no4daughter
0 Kudos

Thanks so much to the authors and publishers for making this book available to us.  Please tell me how a person living in Wisconsin, USA can get her hands on English translations of ALL of your previous books!  I see that B&N carries Box 21 only and I am going to order that one right now.

Inspired Contributor
no4daughter
0 Kudos

Anders-Roslund wrote:

Swedish police say they have stopped using undercover agents now. But we believe that isn’t necessarily true, as an infiltrator is worth so much for the Swedish police.  However, it´s uncommon to have undercover agents of Piet Hoffman's caliber.

-Anders and Börge 

I work in the criminal justice system in the US doing research and writing for trial court judges.  In the state and county that I work in, the use of confidential reliable informants are still the norm for investigating drug crimes.  I have not seen any of the caliber of Piet Hoffman, however!

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Make sure the kitchen is well ventilated. Swedish friends made this one Sunday in my kitchen. The alcohol caught fire; set the curtains on fire; singed the hair on my two year old. AND the fire department condemned my stove!!!! Never again................

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

no4daughter wrote:

Thanks so much to the authors and publishers for making this book available to us.  Please tell me how a person living in Wisconsin, USA can get her hands on English translations of ALL of your previous books!  I see that B&N carries Box 21 only and I am going to order that one right now.

I was able to get The Beast from my public library.  The other two are not yet available.  One is in translation currently;  the other is expected for follow.  If Three Seconds has the kind of reception over here that I expect it may have - so many more readers are open to trying translated mysteries after the success of Stieg Larsson's series - I'm guessing that the publishers will be eager to push forward and get the previous books out while the iron is hot. 

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Vermontcozy wrote:

well at least we are all keeping busy,with our recipes..I enjoy all this,,But ,I did have a Look at SwedeCrime on twitter..They do mention us  BN Readers of "3" Seconds,as having the Best questions,   It was dated 12/10  ,but they asked everyone to leave a Message on FB...Which I only used when Paul asked us to like St.Martins Press...We still have next week..Garrison Kellor is on soon on VPR..He is so Fun...

Ah, I didn't see that note asking for messages on FB.  Would have been nice if our moderators here had posted that?    But wouldn't that allow a lot of people to comment who aren't signed on for FL?   Maybe I'll try posting a question there since my latest ones have gone unanswered on this Board.   This coming Friday is the last day they were going to be with us, anyway, so we've lost a lot of time.  Kind of frustrating!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

well at least we are all keeping busy,with our recipes..I enjoy all this,,But ,I did have a Look at SwedeCrime on twitter..They do mention us  BN Readers of "3" Seconds,as having the Best questions,   It was dated 12/10  ,but they asked everyone to leave a Message on FB...Which I only used when Paul asked us to like St.Martins Press...We still have next week..Garrison Kellor is on soon on VPR..He is so Fun...

Ah, I didn't see that note asking for messages on FB.  Would have been nice if our moderators here had posted that?    But wouldn't that allow a lot of people to comment who aren't signed on for FL?   Maybe I'll try posting a question there since my latest ones have gone unanswered on this Board.   This coming Friday is the last day they were going to be with us, anyway, so we've lost a lot of time.  Kind of frustrating!

Hi.   BW 718,.FaceBook is their page  Under  Maybe, SwedeCrime,Three Seconds or Roselund&Hellstrom  on twitter I invited them back (from all of  us)for a Drink of Glogg for Christmas...Thats about as Social as I get lol.....if you go on fb and find them let me know...Thanks..Susan   It was at tweet..directing anyone to  FB...

Peppermill
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

So, is this one of the places and times we miss Paul?  

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:

This Dane (descent) uses lots of lemon peel and pure vanilla in her krumcake.  I make mine on a special iron that looks like a small thin waffle iron.  I believe the Italians have a similar cookie that uses the same appliance.  Without dipping the rolled ends in chocolate or other goodies, they are plain, but still YUM if one's taste runs that way.

Of course, the Danes have a whole array of Christmas goodies based on butter.  

Peppernodder  may be the other cookies to which you refer.  I believe that there is one with a similar name that uses anise rather than pepper, but I don't have my cook books handy.

A few others (of the many, many) are here, including a picture of the rosettes made by dipping hot specially shaped irons into the batter and then frying in hot oil.  (I suspect that is the "dangerous situation" cookie someone else referred to here -- sorry, I am on my son's PC at the moment, and it is an Apple with Chrome, so I am kinda all thumbs.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Well, didn't find the Scandinavian recipe I wanted, but here is an Italian version of "krumcake":

Anise Pizzelles

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

BookWoman718 wrote:

Peppernodder  may be the other cookies to which you refer.  I believe that there is one with a similar name that uses anise rather than pepper, but I don't have my cook books handy.

The other cookies are lefse.  I looked up the recipes and was reminded that they are made of potato dough.  I think that's the tricky part;  overcook the potatoes and they are too wet when you rice them for the dough.  Other than potatoes, they have butter, heavy cream, a little salt, and maybe a tablespoon of sugar for 10 lbs of potatoes.  Did someone say bland?   I'm going to look up your peppernodder.  I always liked the pfefferneuse which appears around holiday time, maybe yours are similar... And then I'm going to have half a dozen rum balls.  Now there's a cookie that tastes like something! ;-)    

Inspired Contributor
no4daughter
0 Kudos

Lefse is more of a bread, than cookie, and looks like a tortilla.  In my family we spread lefse with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and then roll up. 

A cookie which is very delicate, and which you may be thinking of is a rosette (at least that's is what my family calls them).  They are made by dipping an snowflake shaped iron in a batter and then frying it.  They are then dusted with powdered sugar.

Another cookie you may be thinking of is Fattigman.  They are triangle shaped and not as delicate. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

no4daughter wrote:

Lefse is more of a bread, than cookie, and looks like a tortilla.  In my family we spread lefse with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and then roll up. 

A cookie which is very delicate, and which you may be thinking of is a rosette (at least that's is what my family calls them).  They are made by dipping an snowflake shaped iron in a batter and then frying it.  They are then dusted with powdered sugar.

Another cookie you may be thinking of is Fattigman.  They are triangle shaped and not as delicate. 

Sounds Wonderful.no4daughter...The influence of German,Scandinavian ,Italian  and so many cultures...baking is great  ..We also have Pizzelles...Dusted with Powdered Sugar..Sometimes I make them,other time's I just buy them at The Italian Bakery..So good..  If anyone was on fb with AndersandBorge   Let me know,,Thanks..Susan

Frequent Contributor
Lis49
0 Kudos

I loved your book.  It was wonderful.  I have a question about drugs in Swedish prisons.  If prisoners are allowed to have drugs in prison, it seems like it would make sense for the prison system to just give them all the drugs that they want.  It was stated that the prison system likes them to take drugs so they are easy to control.  If the system does not give them the drugs, it makes for a situation where the only place for prisoners to get them is from other criminals.  It seems that taking away the buyers would eliminate the ability of the Mafia to have control over the prisons. I am unfamiliar with a twelve step program.  Does this program eliminate the selling of drugs in prison?

I can't wait to read another of your books!

Lis49
Inspired Contributor
no4daughter
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:

Dear Anders and Borge,

Your fan,

BookWoman718

I hope that they aren't offended by the fact that one of their names is misspelled on the subject line of this topic. 

Frequent Contributor
nbmars
0 Kudos

My personal theory is that they gave us just three seconds to ask and answer questions....

But even if the authors disappeared, this has been a wonderful discussion about Scandinavian baking!