Contributor
dalejr88SD
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

My question to the authors is Why did you choice to write this book. I never experience a book like this and really enjoy it. I hoping to read your other books soon.

Author
Anders-Roslund
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Sorry, we've been away from the message board the last few days. We're going to work on answering your questions over the next few days.

We're enjoying reading all of your posts!

-Roslund & Hellström

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Anders-Roslund wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry, we've been away from the message board the last few days. We're going to work on answering your questions over the next few days.

We're enjoying reading all of your posts!

-Roslund & Hellström

Welcome back!   Our arms are open and outstretched!   Thanks for taking this on during such a busy time;  we LOVE having the authors with us!

Frequent Contributor
deannafrances
0 Kudos

Hopefully I am not reasking this--I didn't have time to pore through all the posts.  When you write --you write in your native language and then have it translated?  Does more than one person read it and then do YOU  read it in English?  What are the trickiest parts to get meaning to--the dialogue, the idioms?  Do you speak English fluently so that you are confident that your book is getting the CORRECT translation?

Are there as many crime shows on TV in your country as there are in the US?  Do they show alot of the CSI and Law and Order? 

Are drugs a problem in Sweden as much as in the US?

Thanks for your book and your answers and by the way Happy Holidays.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Have a Happy and Merry Holiday..Will be moving on to probably "Box21"..Amazing Questions,and posts by FirstLookers..I feel vested in "Three Seconds,and Look forward to all your books...Will ck your website to see if you are Touring on The USA..The Cliffhanger aspect of "Three Seconds" was done so well..My imagination took me in various directions...Piet?...Zofia.?.Will Grens form any relationships.  Prison time for All The Officials involved?.and many questions..Thank you for Sharing "Three Seconds with us..Paul Hochman knows.us.......God Jul...Susan ,VermontCozy...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Roslund and Hellstrom:

Really enjoyed your book THREE SECONDS so much that I just ordered BOX 21 and will be reading it as soon as it arrives! 

Best of luck to both of you with the release of THREE SECONDS in January. Thanks for visiting with us and keep writing!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Anders-Roslund
0 Kudos

Hi Eadie, Happy to hear you liked THREE SECONDS! We hope you enjoy BOX 21.
-Roslund & Hellström

eadieburke wrote:

Roslund and Hellstrom:

Really enjoyed your book THREE SECONDS so much that I just ordered BOX 21 and will be reading it as soon as it arrives! 

Best of luck to both of you with the release of THREE SECONDS in January. Thanks for visiting with us and keep writing!

Author
Anders-Roslund
0 Kudos

Hi, sorry for the late response. To answer your very thoughtful questions. 1. The writing process was divided into three stages of about eight months each. A) Research eight months. B) Story development eight months. C) Writing eight months. A cycle of about twenty-four months. 2. We have been published once before in the USA, Box 21, which was published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux. 3. Ewert Grens is half Anders, half Börge. Some of his more peculiar traits like when he dances alone at night in his office come from Anders’ dad, who used to do that. Piet Hoffmann, he is a combination of 4 different men we have met and worked with. And Erik Wilson, the same thing, he is a combination of three different handlers.
-Roslund & Hellström

thewanderingjew wrote:

Welcome and thank you for joining us.

1-In the introductory statements before your Rap Sheet interview, it is mentioned that Little Brown UK stopped publishing your work in English. What was their reason? Your books are top notch, award-winning novels so why wouldn't they continue to publish them in English.

2-In all the descriptions, the manuscript of the book has over 600 pages but our version is just under 500? Has it been revised for the English translation or revised in general or is it the size of our copy which is a paperback, the size of a hardcover, that makes the difference?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thank you Both for such Vivid explanations ,,,TWJ does ask great questions.."Three Seconds" took on a life of its own and ,even though a Cliffhanger of sorts..my imagination has  Piet and Zofia and the boys,living in Germany or even The States..But of course only both of you know..Will keep up to date with your other releases as well.,and any Book Signings in the States....For now "Box 21" will be mine soon..And Three Seconds will be a Gift when released for my daughters boyfriiend...i hid my copy from them...Best and Much Success...Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Anders-Roslund
0 Kudos

Hi, and thanks for your kind words! 1. To change publisher was our choice. We were so impressed by the work for our fellow Swede Stieg Larsson that was done by Quercus when introducing him into the English speaking world. So, when they announced that they wanted to us to be their next choice following Stieg’s three books, we were very interested. And when the joint venture between Quercus and Barnes & Noble declared that they wanted us to launch the new Silver Oak and after that agreed on a long term relationship, we were even more convinced. 2. We are very pleased with the English translation; Kari Dickson has done a fantastic job. The difference between 500 p and 600 p is explained mostly with the form of the pages ­ – the English version has got more lines on every page than the Swedish one.
-Roslund & Hellström

thewanderingjew wrote:

Welcome and thank you for joining us.

1-In the introductory statements before your Rap Sheet interview, it is mentioned that Little Brown UK stopped publishing your work in English. What was their reason? Your books are top notch, award-winning novels so why wouldn't they continue to publish them in English.

2-In all the descriptions, the manuscript of the book has over 600 pages but our version is just under 500? Has it been revised for the English translation or revised in general or is it the size of our copy which is a paperback, the size of a hardcover, that makes the difference?

Author
Anders-Roslund
0 Kudos

We don´t like the use of criminal informants in Sweden as it exploits already vulnerable people. Criminal informants are put into serious danger when they are asked to "spy" on their friends or their gang members, as they are given no real police protection. Criminal informants that been revealed have been forced to obtain secret identities and have had to move abroad because the Swedish police authorities could not protect them in Sweden. And that´s a shame. We think that the best thing for the Swedish police authorities to do would be to use real police officers as undercover agents. Real police officers would get the protection they otherwise would not give to the criminal informants. 
-Roslund & Hellström

nbmars wrote:

Welcome and thank you both so much for your book!

I am interested in the moral issues - what do you all (as opposed to the characters) actually feel about using informants?  Do you feel the risk to individual informants is justified?  Do you have any feelings about the use of criminal versus police undercover informants?  Do you think there are adequate protections for informants?

Author
Anders-Roslund
0 Kudos

We had heard some stories from people on the inside who have been both informants and handlers. They told us that the informant system was extremely secretive and that people risk their lives all the time working as informers. Then there was an event that gave public light to the police authorities informants activities in Sweden, which meant that journalists, lawyers and many others became very upset understanding the lawlessness condition you find yourself in as a informants.

Our books are 50% true and 50% fiction. The way the police system works In Three Seconds is correct, we spoke to a number of police officers/handlers to tell us how they worked with their best informants. Simply put, the background in our book is true and the plot is fiction.

-Roslund & Hellström

MSaff wrote:

Welcome to our little corner of the world, Anders and Borge,

We have a lot of fun and the excitement in which we look forward to or First Look Books is unbelievable.  I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for allowing us to read your novel and also to allow us to discuss all of it's intriging twists and turns. 

What I personally am enjoying is the depths in which your characters are going.  I'm sure that I couldn't do what your characters are doing or at least portraying.   

My question to the both of you is this, - What inspired you to write a novel such as "Three Seconds", and is there any truth to this story?

Again, welcome to First Look,  I'm sure that your time here will be at the very least, an eye opener.  We do love to read and discuss what we are reading.  Good Luck with this new venture. 

Author
Anders-Roslund
0 Kudos

Hi. 1. The writing process was divided into three stages of about eight months each. A) Research eight months. B) Story development eight months. C) Writing eight months. A cycle of about twenty-four months. 2. We have been published once before in the USA, Box 21, which was published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux. 3. Ewert Grens is half Anders, half Börge. Some of his more peculiar traits like when he dances alone at night in his office come from Anders’ dad, who used to do that. Piet Hoffmann, he is a combination of 4 different men we have met and worked with. And Erik Wilson, the same thing, he is a combination of three different handlers.

-Roslund & Hellström

Author
Anders-Roslund
0 Kudos

Hi. 1. The writing process was divided into three stages of about eight months each. A) Research eight months. B) Story development eight months. C) Writing eight months. A cycle of about twenty-four months. 2. We have been published once before in the USA, Box 21, which was published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux. 3. Ewert Grens is half Anders, half Börge. Some of his more peculiar traits like when he dances alone at night in his office come from Anders’ dad, who used to do that. Piet Hoffmann, he is a combination of 4 different men we have met and worked with. And Erik Wilson, the same thing, he is a combination of three different handlers.
-Roslund & Hellström

Passie71 wrote:

I LOVE this book so far!  Thank you for the opportunity to read and discuss your book with you!!

In the beginning it was hard to follow the characters or exactly what they were doing.  "Mules" are new to me but I have gained a lot of knowledge about the drug world through your book.  It is amazing that these things happen but not very surprising. 

I enjoy finding out about what makes each character click...their personal life about the bad guys and the good guys.  You have really captured this aspect. 

My question for you is, what made you write this book with these characters?  Why did you not publish in English before now?  How long did it take you to complete this book from start to finish?

Looking forward to Part 3!!

Author
Anders-Roslund
0 Kudos

We'll work on getting more of your questions answered within the next few days! 

Best,

-Roslund & Hellström

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Three Seconds was an incredible book, I was blown away.  I am going to read Box 21 (I already picked up a copy) and cannot wait to read all of your books. 

Thank you for sharing this novel with B&N First Look readers.  You have at least one new fan.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Hi Anders and Borge,

Three Seconds was one of the best books I've read in a long time and being part of the First Look book club made it very special.  To read a book that is filled with such complex subject matter and to be able to discuss it in depth as you are reading it, gives even more meaning and a clearer understanding of the story versus reading it alone.  Between all of us participants, we've come up with ever conceivable point of view.  Thank you for writing such a well-written, intense book, a book that possessed me from the very beginning and is still holding me hostage...until the sequel lets me know how Piet, Zofia and the boys are doing, and what's up with Wilson.  I thoroughly enjoyed the book.  I do have to confess, though.  I had an index card with everyone's name and title with me at all times.

Contributor
calb15
0 Kudos

Hi, my question is are you planning in writing another book about Piet life after this book?  Because I have a lot of questions about how is he doing, is Zofia with him, has he been able to have a normal life?

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Thank You for the information.  It is fascinating.

Anders-Roslund wrote:

We had heard some stories from people on the inside who have been both informants and handlers. They told us that the informant system was extremely secretive and that people risk their lives all the time working as informers. Then there was an event that gave public light to the police authorities informants activities in Sweden, which meant that journalists, lawyers and many others became very upset understanding the lawlessness condition you find yourself in as a informants.

Our books are 50% true and 50% fiction. The way the police system works In Three Seconds is correct, we spoke to a number of police officers/handlers to tell us how they worked with their best informants. Simply put, the background in our book is true and the plot is fiction.

-Roslund & Hellström

MSaff wrote:

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I have enjoyed this book so much. It definitely blew me away.

I am so glad you decided to have your book translated to English for us.

I know I will hear and read a lot about your books in the future.

Thanks for joining us.