Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Question for Authors, Anders Roselund and Borge Hellstrom?

literature wrote:

Hi Anders and Borge,

Three Seconds was one of the best books I've read in a long time and being part of the First Look book club made it very special.  To read a book that is filled with such complex subject matter and to be able to discuss it in depth as you are reading it, gives even more meaning and a clearer understanding of the story versus reading it alone.  Between all of us participants, we've come up with every conceivable point of view.  Thank you for writing such a well-written, intense book, a book that possessed me from the very beginning and is still holding me hostage...until the sequel lets me know how Piet, Zofia and the boys are doing, and what's up with Wilson.  I thoroughly enjoyed the book.  I do have to confess, though.  I had an index card with everyone's name and title with me at all times.

The other things I wanted to mention was that I liked the use of the italics for repetition of thoughts.  To me it made the characters so much more alive.

Also, even though Gren and Agestam possessed no love for each other, both being conscientious and dedicated workers, put their feelings aside to solve the case.   We just have to find out if Gren ever reveals Piet's status.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Roslund & Hellstrom: Just finished Box 21! It was really a page-turner! Moving on to the Beast! Thanks for another great read!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BookWoman718 wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

BookWoman718 wrote:

My dau-in-law is of 100 percent Norwegian descent.  She makes Krumkake  (pr  Kroom ka ke)

and another cookie-ish thing, whose name I can't recall.  The dough for that is rolled very thin and cooked like a crepe, then rolled up to cool and dusted with powdered sugar.  They are a bit tricky to make and thus are met with hearty approval at gatherings of Norwegian relatives. I think it's a taste one must acquire in early childhood.  They are so 'plain vanilla' as to make sugar cookies taste exotic.  (No offense intended, dear Norwegian friends;  I feel like Garrison Keillor even mentioning it.)  Anyway, cookie baking of various types is, indeed, taken seriously in the Scandinavias  and that perhaps explains our authors' silence.  Too busy munching.   

Peppernodder  may be the other cookies to which you refer.  I believe that there is one with a similar name that uses anise rather than pepper, but I don't have my cook books handy.

The other cookies are lefse.  I looked up the recipes and was reminded that they are made of potato dough.  I think that's the tricky part;  overcook the potatoes and they are too wet when you rice them for the dough.  Other than potatoes, they have butter, heavy cream, a little salt, and maybe a tablespoon of sugar for 10 lbs of potatoes.  Did someone say bland?   I'm going to look up your peppernodder.  I always liked the pfefferneuse which appears around holiday time, maybe yours are similar... And then I'm going to have half a dozen rum balls.  Now there's a cookie that tastes like something! ;-)      

Sorry to bounce back to cookies, but this is the first chance I have had to read this thread since almost a couple of weeks ago now.  Pfefferneuse is the cookie I was looking for when I found peppernodder. I couldn't get the spelling close enough that night to find it with Goggle, even trying other approaches.  Personally, I don't find those particularly flavorful either, but still one of the fun treats of the season.  (Didn't have them, or many cookies at all, this season.)

Like ...daughter, I don't consider lefse a cookie, although I understand how rolled with butter, sugar, and perhaps cinnamon, it is rather eaten as a similar snack.  I have friends who meet each year in November in Wisconsin to prepare the supply for their families for the holidays.   A festive day for which I would love to join them one year.  Lefse perhaps is an acquired taste, but not so much so as lutfisk!

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

If they are lke me, they got wrapped up in making cookies. It is very time consuming but so wonderful to eat and your house smells great. I have to read once a pan is in the oven til the timer rings.

My dau-in-law is of 100 percent Norwegian descent.  She makes Krumkake  (pr  Kroom ka ke)

and another cookie-ish thing, whose name I can't recall.  The dough for that is rolled very thin and cooked like a crepe, then rolled up to cool and dusted with powdered sugar.  They are a bit tricky to make and thus are met with hearty approval at gatherings of Norwegian relatives. I think it's a taste one must acquire in early childhood.  They are so 'plain vanilla' as to make sugar cookies taste exotic.  (No offense intended, dear Norwegian friends;  I feel like Garrison Keillor even mentioning it.)  Anyway, cookie baking of various types is, indeed, taken seriously in the Scandinavias  and that perhaps explains our authors' silence.  Too busy munching.   

I am also 100% Norwegian and have fond memories of making Krumkake every Christmas! They are meant to be rolled into a cone shape and filled with cream and berries, but I never do that, I like them plain.

pen21
0 Kudos

I borrowed Three Seconds to my brother. He really liked it.

Check out this article in USA today about Three Seconds.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/reviews/2011-01-03-roslundrev03_ST_N.htm?csp=usat.me

Peppermill
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

I loaned Three Seconds to my brother. He really liked it.

Check out this article in USA today about Three Seconds.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/reviews/2011-01-03-roslundrev03_ST_N.htm?csp=usat.me

Pen21 -- thanks for the link to the USA review.  I am going to foward it to a friend.  Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
MBSpencer
0 Kudos

I know it is a bit late...but I never saw the reading schedule...alas...may I ask where it is?  Thanks.

Mary

Peppermill
0 Kudos

MBSpencer wrote:

I know it is a bit late...but I never saw the reading schedule...alas...may I ask where it is?  Thanks.

Mary

Try the last post in the thread 

News, Schedules, and Updates

Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MBSpencer wrote:

Mary

It's never too late to look at the discussions, though - they've been lively and very interesting!
‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon