Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

Re: A Note to the First Look Group

Welcome and thank you for sharing your book with us and your thoughts on sharing your book with us.  I have not started to read the book yet as I want to stick to the reading schedule.  But rest assured, the book will be in the places you mentioned; on the nightstand, on the floor by the tub, on the table by the easy chair, in the car.  In other words, wherever I am.  I am looking forward to reading it and discussing it with the group and with you. 
"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

Hi Shandi,

First of all, let me say how honored we are to be the first of what I hope will be many thousands or should I say millions to read your novel.  As you have probably seen by going through previous postings on other First Look novels, we are a wonderful group of people who love to read and we don't mind the different genre's, which may or may not be of what we as individuals would necessarily otherwise pick up to read.   

Barnes and Noble, and First Look gives not only authors the opportunity to try out their story lines, but they also give us as readers, and I might add that many of us are avid readers, the opportunity to get a glimpse of new and exciting authors, before the general public.  I myself feel privileged to have been given that opportunity.  

Now for the discussions, I'm sure that you have seen some rather detailed discussion, and as a reader, I have found that the discussions here allow each and every one of us to expand our thought patterns and maybe, just maybe, get a different look at what someone else has seen or experienced from the discussion.

I've taken more time than I expected to in this post, so I will close now.  I look forward to reading and discussing your novel, and also look forward to chatting with you later. 

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
AnnJE
0 Kudos

Shandi - I read with a great deal of interest your feelings about sharing your book with readers.  I have the book ready to go.  I love the title UNDER THIS UNBROKEN SKY.  I would have been drawn to it in a book store even if I had heard nothing about it.  I can't wait to get started.

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
Darbys_Closet
0 Kudos

Ms. Shandi Mitchell,

Your note to us readers, is so gracious..thank you!!!  I have never put myself in your shoes as to "what/where will the reader, take my story"...I love your passion!!!  My copy arrived over the weekend and I am trying to get off of this computer so I can start your book tonight.....and yes, I am one of those who is always stating..."just one more page" while sitting in cold bath water.....do they make warm bath water?  If so, I need to get me some! ;-*

All the best to you and I so look forward to our discussion!

Hugs

Darby

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Thank you Ms. Mitchell for allowing me to read your book and for the lovely note.
Contributor
SapphicKris
0 Kudos

Greetings, 

My book travels with me everywhere... From the nightstand in the morning, to the breakfast table, in the car on the way to work where I wish I were reading but really must focus on driving, it is right now on the desk next to my computer here at work where I can sneak in a few pages at lunch time. Last night I brought it with me to take a short bath thinking I would read just a few pages. I was shocked to find myself at nearly 70 pages into it before realizing that my bath water was indeed cold! The story and characters have definitely caught my attention. This is my first First Look and I am very much looking forward to the discussions.

Take Care,

Kris

Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

Hello Shandi,

Thank you for sharing your book and thoughts with us. It adds so much to my reading enjoyment when I can gain insight about the book from the author. That is why I love B&N's First Look.

Your book has been safely delivered to my hands. I treat all my books with great care. I do not mark or dog-ear the pages. If the cover starts to curl I will place a heavy dictionary on it overnight to straighten it.

My favorite place to read is outside, sitting on a lounge chair in the sun with a cold drink. I am looking forward to starting the book and discussions.

Thank you,

Kris

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

I was so thrilled to finally receive my copy of the book and I did start reading it last night.  FYI, I read while I eat breakfast and that could last up to 45 minutes because I love starting off my day with a good book while I nurse my mug of tea.   I was actually late for work this morning because I kept reading "just one more page" but I blamed the lateness on the weather.  Depending on the evening, dinner is another reading session or while I'm relaxing in the evening, again, with a mug of tea.  While I'm reading a book, I usually carry it from room to room with me (security in case I want to do some reading), I use a book mark so the pages aren't damaged and I take very good care of the paperback covers.  The book also goes on my nightstand in the evening in case I'm up for a middle-of-the night read.  I take notes as I read and do refer back to them at some point.  In this particular case, it is for the book club.  I read about 30 pages and already have a few questions for you but I will save them for the book club.  The characters are beginning to take on their own personalities in my mind and Teodore has actually become very real to me; I can visualize him as I'm reading.  I'm looking forward to reading this evening.  I know this book is going to be a good read and a good discussion.  
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Dear Shandi,

Thank you very much for your very thoughtful note and for sharing your book with us here at the First Look Book Club at B&N.com....I am very much looking forward to reading your novel and exploring it through this medium with the wonderful people at B&N, my very insighful fellow FL book club members, and, of course, with you!

Thanks again!

All the best,

Dawn

Frequent Contributor
patfayo
0 Kudos

Dear Ms. Mitchell,

I will reinstate what the others have all said.Thank you for allowing us to be the first to read your newest book.  I have always been an avid reader but never had anyone to discuss them with until I went back to college and took a contemporary novel class. That class only made me hungrier to hear other's opinions. Participating in a discussion allows the reader to see and things they may never have picked up on.  I am sure your nervousness is also a lot of anxiety, as you sit perched on the edge of chair as your characters come to life through many different eyes whose thoughts, ideals and morals  have all been shaped by their own lifestyles. I have not started to read yet as the schedule of chapters had not yet been posted and I do not want to get too far ahead. I look forward to hearing your thoughts as we go forward.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Greetings and welcome, Shandi, to the First Look Book Club! 

My name is Kathy, and I live in Southern Calif....I'm a past participant of this club.  When I saw, and read the intro to your new novel, I got the feeling it would be one I would enjoy.  I am definitely looking forward to it. 

Congratulations on this accomplishment!  I do sense your nervousness, and I'm sure a few of us have our own nerves to contend with, as well.  We want to do you, and your work, justice.  Discussions of this magnitude tend to intimidate, but we all progress through them with wonderful results. 

I  read everywhere, at any time, night and day.  I do make notes as I go, Post-its.  I never write in novels, and always use a bookmark - Always respectful of these words, and who writes them.

I hope this experience will be a joy for you, one for you to remember, always. 

'See' you soon!

Kathy S.

Correspondent
mamawli
0 Kudos

I am going to try to keep on schedule and therefore have not started to read the book.  However, it is staring me down on my nightstand and it will not be long before I am tempted to start the journey. 

I find your opening salutation very genuine and written very well.  One can only wonder what surprises they will find in between those pages that you have written.

Be assured that your story will travel with me in many ways.  It will be physically transported to the pool, the backyard and to weekend vacation spots.  The book will also travel in conversation with my may book loving friends

Contributor
Sensitivemuse
0 Kudos

In order for me not to get too far ahead, I've been limiting myself and been only reading little bits of the book every morning before I go to work. Unfortunately now when it's time to go I swear and have to put the book to the side. I'd have to say, I really like what I am reading so far :smileyhappy:
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Hi, Ms. Mitchell--

I haven’t started reading Under This Unbroken Sky yet, as I am another who wants to be able to keep to the reading schedule.  However, your introductory note has me more anxious than ever to begin.  You have a great way of expressing yourself, of making readers feel comfortable and important, almost as if we know you already.  I’m thinking that ability will translate into a thoroughly enjoyable book.  So, welcome to First Look, and thank you for sharing your “baby” with us.

Joan

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

Ms. Mitchell,

Thank you so much for allowing us the privileged to read your novel.  The First Look Book Club has enriched my life in so many ways.  I am sure that your novel will add to this reading adventure, and I cannot wait to get started!

I appreciate your comments and thoughts regarding this experience.  It is obviously new to you.  Your questions and concerns about your characters and book in general made me feel as if you were letting go of one of your children for the first time...out into the world, hoping that he/she flies and soars with excellence.  I for one (or many as it seems in this group) am an avid reader and literally adore and cherish my books.  Like many mentioned before me, I carry my current "friend" with me every where I go.  I become part of the story and feel as if I know the characters.  I am sure that your story will be cherished by not only myself, but many others as well.

Aimee

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

-Hello Ms. Mitchell

SunItcloud couldn't have said it better. If a book is going on my shelves it usually has notes in the white spaces and phrases I especially like underlined. As a new writer I look forward to interacting with you, this group of readers and your publisher.

Thank you for giving us a first peek and look forward to reading Under This Unbroken Sky with you; hooray, the big brown truck came today!

Cora

Sunltcloud wrote:

Dear Ms. Mitchell,

I am a believer in signs though I have no idea where they could possibly originate. Having watched the UPS truck pass several times recently, I was disappointed that the young man didn't stop in front of my house. But now I understand; it is important for me to start reading your book on my way to Canada. I'll be in Victoria next week; will visit The Butchart Gardens, the BC Museum and Munro's Books; will read, in the evenings, "Under This Unbroken Sky."

I am a big ponderer of characters (minus my toothbrush,) a slow reader with pen in hand, adding my question marks and exclamation points to your white space. At times a sentence might shift my mood or a paragraph might induce a frantic search for more; a phrase becomes a guideline. Reading becomes recognition. I am looking forward to your novel.

Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean

Shandi,

I am awed by your opening remarks in this posting and I haven't even dared to open the book yet............I always force myself to follow that schedule, follow that schedule.......lol

You conveyed your sense of anticipation/nervousness in such a manner that I think most of us can relate.........and your candor and honesty about it made me feel as though we were already the best of friends...........:smileyhappy:

And your description of how you feel about your "children"  and where they are, what are they doing, how are people receiving them, is anyone seeing the exact same part at the exact same time..............that's so insightful and have given me much to ponder!

As far as the child that Barnes and Noble has gratefully entrusted to me because of your decision to send them out for adoption, I will let you know that it is sitting on my computer desk in my little old cottage patiently awaiting the chance to come out and play!

As my mother was a librarian for 35 years, I was taught to enjoy each and every thing about a book........

This particular child of yours will be sitting on that computer desk until the weekend before the discussion starts and then it will be transported to my enclosed front porch into either one of two white rocking chairs, and will be held closely while my furry friends Casey and Joker lie at my feet.

There will be an old old fan blowing gently on it as we rock and I will be completely wrapped up in each and every word your little one has to offer.

And because of your remarks I guarantee there will be several times I will stop, listen for just a moment to the breeze and wonder if someone else out there is reading the exact same sentence at the same time as me.......your words are definitely food for thought!

I am so looking forward to this First Look Selection, YOUR book, that I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to preview and I feel honored to have that privilege.

Thanks so much for being willing to share and I can't wait for the discussion to begin!!!

Diane

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Beautifully said, Diane!

mv5ocean wrote:

Shandi,

I am awed by your opening remarks in this posting and I haven't even dared to open the book yet............I always force myself to follow that schedule, follow that schedule.......lol

You conveyed your sense of anticipation/nervousness in such a manner that I think most of us can relate.........and your candor and honesty about it made me feel as though we were already the best of friends...........:smileyhappy:

And your description of how you feel about your "children"  and where they are, what are they doing, how are people receiving them, is anyone seeing the exact same part at the exact same time..............that's so insightful and have given me much to ponder!

As far as the child that Barnes and Noble has gratefully entrusted to me because of your decision to send them out for adoption, I will let you know that it is sitting on my computer desk in my little old cottage patiently awaiting the chance to come out and play!

As my mother was a librarian for 35 years, I was taught to enjoy each and every thing about a book........

This particular child of yours will be sitting on that computer desk until the weekend before the discussion starts and then it will be transported to my enclosed front porch into either one of two white rocking chairs, and will be held closely while my furry friends Casey and Joker lie at my feet.

There will be an old old fan blowing gently on it as we rock and I will be completely wrapped up in each and every word your little one has to offer.

And because of your remarks I guarantee there will be several times I will stop, listen for just a moment to the breeze and wonder if someone else out there is reading the exact same sentence at the same time as me.......your words are definitely food for thought!

I am so looking forward to this First Look Selection, YOUR book, that I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to preview and I feel honored to have that privilege.

Thanks so much for being willing to share and I can't wait for the discussion to begin!!!

Diane

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Reader
D.Sherie
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. My book arrived yesterday  and I am looking forward to starting it today..
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

Dear Ms Shandi,

Thank you for your thoughtful words! I received my book this afternoon and I'm already eager to start reading it. I'm very excited about the sinopsis and very curious to go deeper.

Thank you to allow us to read your book in advance. It's really a honor!