Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
Rosalie_01
0 Kudos

Re: A Note to the First Look Group

Hi Shandi, thank you so much for sharing your amazing work.  I received the book today and have begun to read it eagerly.  The book will travel with me by car to work, will sit on my desk all day as I concentrate on work, will be (hopefully) finished during an eagerly awaited lunch, and will be looked over by co-workers who are avid readers as well.  Thank you for a thoroughly engrossing read!  Regards, Rosalie
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Dear Ms. Mitchell,

I can't see where you will have to worry at all about how your book is received.  I was reading last night and all of a sudden I was on page 108.  I love your writing style, blunt and to the point.  I laugh (with you) at some of your phraseology.  I find it very refreshing, almost "New York" blunt.  I can't wait for your participation in the book club.:smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Beautifully said, Diane!

mv5ocean wrote:

Shandi,

I am awed by your opening remarks in this posting and I haven't even dared to open the book yet............I always force myself to follow that schedule, follow that schedule.......lol

You conveyed your sense of anticipation/nervousness in such a manner that I think most of us can relate.........and your candor and honesty about it made me feel as though we were already the best of friends...........:smileyhappy:

And your description of how you feel about your "children"  and where they are, what are they doing, how are people receiving them, is anyone seeing the exact same part at the exact same time..............that's so insightful and have given me much to ponder!

As far as the child that Barnes and Noble has gratefully entrusted to me because of your decision to send them out for adoption, I will let you know that it is sitting on my computer desk in my little old cottage patiently awaiting the chance to come out and play!

As my mother was a librarian for 35 years, I was taught to enjoy each and every thing about a book........

This particular child of yours will be sitting on that computer desk until the weekend before the discussion starts and then it will be transported to my enclosed front porch into either one of two white rocking chairs, and will be held closely while my furry friends Casey and Joker lie at my feet.

There will be an old old fan blowing gently on it as we rock and I will be completely wrapped up in each and every word your little one has to offer.

And because of your remarks I guarantee there will be several times I will stop, listen for just a moment to the breeze and wonder if someone else out there is reading the exact same sentence at the same time as me.......your words are definitely food for thought!

I am so looking forward to this First Look Selection, YOUR book, that I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to preview and I feel honored to have that privilege.

Thanks so much for being willing to share and I can't wait for the discussion to begin!!!

Diane

DSaff,

Thanks so much! And thanks everyone for the laurels. I think the way that Shandi explained her interest in the path that each book follows was so amazing and I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every person who has shared the plan for their book.............:smileyhappy:

For me it just kind of puts such a personal mark on each and every book!

It's kind of like the Casting Call thread has been, not something we normally would set aside a thread for but then all of a sudden it becomes a huge hit that we all love to select the characters...........lol

Can't wait to get started reading..............am I the ONLY person who thinks that it's taking a LONG LONG time to get to the first discussion session.............?

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

It took a long time with the last one too, but the books seem to be well worth it. This way appears to assure that as many people as possible have their books in time for the discussion. We only have 11 more days (not counting today of course)!!!  :smileywink:

mv5ocean wrote:

Can't wait to get started reading..............am I the ONLY person who thinks that it's taking a LONG LONG time to get to the first discussion session.............?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
learningdragon
0 Kudos

Good morning, Ms. Mitchell,

I received my copy of your book a few days ago, and am excited to be included in this preview group. I.ll begin reading this weekend as I babysit my new grandchild.

Be blessed and thanks again!

Frequent Contributor
love2readSZ
0 Kudos

learningdragon wrote:

Good morning, Ms. Mitchell,

I received my copy of your book a few days ago, and am excited to be included in this preview group. I.ll begin reading this weekend as I babysit my new grandchild.

Be blessed and thanks again!

learningdragon, You have the best of both worlds this weekend, a new book and a new grandchild.  How lucky can you get?

Contributor
readslots4
0 Kudos

Ms. Mitchell,

I am new to first look and from what I can see from all these posts is a lot of readers with well thought comments.  I'm looking forward to starting your book next week as well as hearing from all those out there and their different thoughts.... 

Contributor
BarneyNoble
0 Kudos

Wow!  I'm sorry, I just finished the book. Please don't throw rotten tomatoes at me.   I didn't realize that we were supposed to stick to a schedule.  I guess with all the rain we have had this summer I have been reading like crazy. 

No, that is just an excuse.  I couldn't put it down.  I promise no spoilers from me, other than that this is an amazing read.  First I stopped at 74, then the next time I picked it up I noticed another 100 pages had turned before sleep forced it out of my hands.  Yesterday afternoon, on to the 287th page.  Today I couldn't help it.  I was weak. 

I am looking at it on the floor, next to the sofa which is in front of two windows; when I glanced out I almost forgot that I don't live on a farmstead in Canada but in a 2009 neighborhood in PA.  And what happened to my other children???????       Wait, I only have three. 

I can't wait until the discussions, at least I have that to keep it alive. 

Yes Ms. Mitchell, the children did miss out on lunch a few days (but I promise I did feed them at some point):smileywink:

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

Wow; I'm so impressed!  I've only read 4 pages but with two summer classes (Western Civilization and Philosophy) I'm going to have to stick to the schedule.  However, next week vacation at the beach in NC but I have a feeling that I will be on a farm in Canada!:smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
Chatterbox
0 Kudos

Thanks for the note! It's probably a bit like sending your child off to school for his or her first day -- only more so. Because I imagine this novel has existed in your imagination for so long, they 'live' for you, and this is that horrible 'in-between' stage while you wait to see if you have been able to communicate that to others. Will they see what you do in the plot, the characters, the setting? I can only imagine what that particularly exquisite form of torture is like...

However, I think this is a pretty hospitable group with lots of good discussion. And being able to have a two-way discussion is valuable for us readers -- some of whom will probably go on to review the book on this and other sites. Sometimes what we see isn't what authors intended, and the process of discovery is mutual. And always interesting.

And yes, you now have real readers!!!! I do hope that makes you smile and break out the champagne. 

Frequent Contributor
Chatterbox
0 Kudos

And an early question about the setting -- is your Willow Creek the same as the region that includes Nanton and Fort McLeod and that mega wind farm?? Just wondering... If so, it will help me to visualize it all. May even have some photos I could post, if the mods permit.
Contributor
Stellaluna99
0 Kudos

Ms. Mitchell,

Thank you for your message and I hope that some of your nervousness can be relieved by the initial responses from this group. I am about 12 pages from finishing and can only say "wow, fantastic work".  I won't throw out any spoilers but your characters are real people and for the first time in a long time, I found myself speaking out loud (to the characters, myself, and even you) while I read.  I am a big fan of the classics and found myself comparing you with Steinbeck.  I look forward to the discussion and send applause your way.

Inspired Contributor
BooksRPam
0 Kudos

Shandi, just the few paragraphs you wrote in your welcome to the group grabbed my attention.  I so look forward to reading your book and participating in the discussion.  Thanks for allowing us to be the firsts to celebrate your accomplishment.
Pam
Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

It took a long time with the last one too, but the books seem to be well worth it. This way appears to assure that as many people as possible have their books in time for the discussion. We only have 11 more days (not counting today of course)!!!  :smileywink:

mv5ocean wrote:

DSaff,

You are so right about that! And I remember last time there was a reader that almost NEVER got their book.............I felt their pain as I know how frustrating it was for them to come in so late!

From reading posts of those who have already finished the book it seems as though we are in for an amazing journey!!!

Scribe
DSaff

That reader was Marcil from Brazil, and Paul made sure he got his book first. Yeah, Paul =)

mv5ocean wrote:

DSaff wrote:

mv5ocean wrote:

DSaff,

You are so right about that! And I remember last time there was a reader that almost NEVER got their book.............I felt their pain as I know how frustrating it was for them to come in so late!

From reading posts of those who have already finished the book it seems as though we are in for an amazing journey!!!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Thanks, Donna!

Aside from group members in foreign countries, all the timing is tricky. As you know, I'm a proponent of sticking to the schedule, but it's got to be tempting --when a great book arrives at your doorstep -- to just jump right in!

DSaff wrote:

That reader was Marcil from Brazil, and Paul made sure he got his book first. Yeah, Paul =)

mv5ocean wrote:

DSaff wrote:

mv5ocean wrote:

DSaff,

Contributor
janv
0 Kudos

Dear Shandi:  I can tell by your wonderful welcome that you enjoy reading books as much as writing them!  You seem to love your book's characters and story as well.  I can always tell when I really love a book because I begin to do many of the things you mentioned: thinking about the characters as I lay in bed before falling asleep; thinking about them as real people and feeling as if I know them - suffering in their sorrows, being uplifted by their joys and picturing their interactions in my mind! Thank you so much for sharing your book with us in this very personal way! I look forward to meeting your characters and hearing their story!
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Hi,

Like others, I have been reading the book and loving it. I have finished the first week's schedule but I don't think I will be able to wait to complete it. It is a hard book to close once opened.

twj

Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

mv5ocean wrote:

DSaff wrote:

mv5ocean wrote:

DSaff,

Oh that's wonderful! So we know Marcil already has a head start this time to make up for last time! Paul and everyone at BN do an awesome job at helping out!
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Ms. Mitchell,

You had me from hello!  I can tell from your gracious and insightful salutation, that I am going to enjoy your writing style.

I plan to  stick to the schedule (or at least try to) and I look forward to discussing your work with you and the other readers.

Thanks for joining us on this First Look journey.

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.