Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Re: A Note to the First Look Group

Shandi, this story is amazing, I don't want to stop reading. 

Let the discussion begin, so I can read the next session. 

Inspired Contributor
kittykat59
0 Kudos

So far so good. I just can't put it down. Nothing is getting done around the house, Oh Well. Life goes on. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

p.s. never ever fold down the pages. My books are gifts that allow me to travel, meet new people and submerge into the unknown.

Contributor
thebookin
0 Kudos

Very anxious for the discussions to begin! I'm enjoying the story immensely!

Natalie :0)

Natalie
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library...."
Jorge Luis Borges
Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

nataliew452 wrote:

Very anxious for the discussions to begin! I'm enjoying the story immensely!

Natalie :0)

I agree.  I'm ready for the discussion.  I'm trying something different this time.  Instead of reading ahead of schedule, I am rereading the first section.  Amazing what I missed the first time through.

Kathy

Inspired Contributor
jbnie
0 Kudos

Thank you for being willing to share the book with us. I can't image how hard it must be to have total strangers, not an editor that you know, read and discuss your work. I have started the book, and from what I have read, I hope that you write many, many more. I'm looking forward to this discussion. Once again, thank you for the book.

Jane :smileyhappy:

Reader
JaneAustenNut
0 Kudos

Hi Shandi,

Thanks for sharing your book with the group.  I have read about 70 pages thus far, and would like to know how did you ever develop the story line?  It seems very dark and sad. I do believe while our country is in a current economic downturn; when people are losing their jobs and having to face austere times, UTUS is an appropriate read. I look forward to pressing forward with the read ...... Hopefully, it will have more happy endings.

Angie

Contributor
Breezy000
0 Kudos

Shandi,

Thank you for your wonderful note to the readers.  As I read through it, I found myself nodding my head at the situations in which you had imagined and I fit into.  Your insight into the readers mind is dead on and I cannot wait to begin the discussion about the book today.

Thank you,

Alicia F.

New User
stars_explode
0 Kudos

Ms. Mitchell,

You are a beautiful writer. Thank you sharing this wonderful novel. :smileyhappy:

New User
Dinalovestoread
0 Kudos

Dear Ms. Mitchell:  Your note to readers is inspiring!  I am thrilled to be taking a "first look" at your book.  I'm on page 46 and I have already come to know each of the characters as separate individuals.  I am interested to see what happens to them although a little wary of what sounds like a not very happy ending.  I will check back in as I continue to read!

Thank you!

Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce

Dear Ms. Mitchell,

Thank you for such a wonderful, insightful, and heartfelt note.  After having read and read and read today while soaking up the sun and the breeze in the pool, I thought it was only fair to let you know that I owe a bit of a sunburn to you, simply because I could not stop reading!!  What a beautful story you have created!

Thank you for sharing this story with us.

Claudia

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
Distinguished Correspondent
emmagrace
0 Kudos

Shandi wrote:

Will the dishes pile up; sleep be neglected; will you push through a few more pages even though the bath water has gone cold? I won't know what time of day or night the pages are turned.  Or at which chapter the bookmark is placed or a page corner folded down. Will you ponder the characters as you brush your teeth? Or inundate your partner with details of your day's reading? Will the story follow you into your dreams? This is the unknown of creating.

I have to admit that all of these things are happening to me!! You have done a nice job on this novel and I am sure when it becomes available for purchase, you will have a hit on your hands!!
Inspired Contributor
lg4154
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Shandi,

I was really pleased with the book and loved the characters. It read like a nonfiction book and I could not put it down. You have a real winner here and thanks for allowing me the opportunity to read it!

Thanks,

Laura

Message Edited by PaulH on 08-04-2009 11:05 AM
Frequent Contributor
bookloverKG
0 Kudos

Hello Ms. Mitchell, So far i have only read up to 35 i think. Already i want to cry. I really like this book. It seems as if you did your research, which i know you did. I love the characters in the story, especially Teodor and his sister. Poor people, they have gone through a lot. I look forward to reading more of your book. Thanks for the opportunity! :smileyhappy:

"I wasn't mad at him. He just had to die."
New User
lauraly63
0 Kudos

Dear  Ms. Mitchell, I have started reading your book and find it to be a very relaxing evening read. I am reading it slowly, and look forward to picking it up each night as I retire for the evening.

Sincerely,

Laura Garrett 

Contributor
CD33
0 Kudos

Hi Shandi,

Thank you so much for sharing your book with us. It was intersting to hear your thoughts about your readers experience while enjoying the novel. I just started the book and already can not put it down! So, again thanks for sharing and looking forward to the posts!

Contributor
dleigh
0 Kudos

Dear Ms. Mitchell - I cannot imagine the bravery that it must take to allow your deepest thoughts and ideas to be read by so many people - to be read without any direction or guidance from the creator except the written words on the pages!

Thank you for the opportunity to experience your work - I have read summer and fall and I have had to reign myself in.  I usually "gallop" through a book, but I am trying to savor Under this Unbroken Sky and your writing style. 

Danetta

DH
Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

Shandi-Mitchell wrote: 

Will the dishes pile up; sleep be neglected; will you push through a few more pages even though the bath water has gone cold?

Yes - The bath water went cold, the water completely drained and I still read one more section lying in an empty cold bathtub.  This is shaping up to be one of my top 10 favorite books of all time!  Great job Shandi!!!

Frequent Contributor
learningdragon
0 Kudos

Girl, I started reading your book last night and could not put it down! I especially enjoyed the cat and mouse challenge and the appearance of Teodor. It was as unnerving for me as it was for the boys! I think you'll do well when the books hit the stores--good thing that I didn't have to go to the office in the morning! Congratulations! I look forward to your next book.
Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

Shandi Mitchell-

Thank you for sharing your book with the First Look Book Club.  I have not finished your book yet but I can say it is one of the best books I have read (and I read a lot!)  Your writing is so descriptive without being in your face... it flows very nicely.  I wanted to jump into the book and help the family fight the fire ... I could feel the heat on my face and I was admittedly sweating.  I feel I know the characters very well and have strong feelings across the board for them... Stefan I would like to ... (well I can't say those things to a lady) while others like Maria and her family I just want to gather up those extra things I have laying around and take them right over to help them out.  The story really makes one appreciate what we have.... most people today could not have gone through the struggles these families went through and make it.  Your story grabbed me from the first few pages and I find it difficult to put it down and get the mundane chores, etc I have to get done. 

Thank you very much for your wonderful book!

Frequent Contributor
bookworm_gp
0 Kudos

Shandi, thank you for sharing your beautiful story with us. I love the way you included the recipe. It brought back memories. My grandmother made borshch, both red and white. I look forward to reading more.
http://write-juncture.blogspot.com/
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Gail_Pruszkowski
http://www.facebook.com/gail.pruszkowski
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bookworm_gp