Inspired Contributor
Ronrose
0 Kudos

Re: A Note to the First Look Group

Before  I even start to read your book, I would like to thank you for sharing your creation with those of us privileged to be members of the First Look Book Club. We are very honored and a bit proud to be in such a select group of readers.  We know that as a writer you put yourself on the line when your book is first opened by the public. We look forward to sharing  the ups and the downs of this momentous event with you.

Ron

Frequent Contributor
dj5775
0 Kudos

Hi, Ms. Mitchell

I received your book and am very excited to start reading. Thank you for sharing the story here with us first. I'm looking forward to reading and I can't wait for the discussions. I hope you enjoy your experience here, and good luck with the book!

~Deidra in CT

ct
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

Ms. Mitchell-

Thank you so much for sharing this book with us!  I started reading it yesterday and am already on page 50.  I almost got hit by a baseball because I was so caught up in it.  I went to my boyfriend's baseball game and a ball was coming straight at me, which I didn't realize until it went under my chair.   I was so involved in the book that I completely forgot I was supposed to be watching the game.  I am going to find it very hard to put this book down and stick to the schedule, hopefully I can find the will to do so.

I can not wait until you join our discussion in August, only a week away!

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Frequent Contributor
bookloverKG
0 Kudos

Thank you soo much for allowing us to be some of the first few people who are going to enjoy the book before anyone else will. I havent read it yet but i know its just going to be amazing. Im looking forward to reading it and discussing it with you and others. I am also going to try to keep up with the schedule and not finish it in a few days. I have a nasty habit of reading my books in less then a week. But again il try to keep with the schedule.
"I wasn't mad at him. He just had to die."
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Ms Mitchell, Thanks so much for allowing us to participate with your first born! Tonight, your book has been a welcome respite from a major bout of insomnia. I believe I've been reading it all over my house but mostly I am stretched out on the sofa with Colorado's cool night air whispering through the windows and my little white dog snuggled at my feet (her fur feels like chenille). Normally, you will find me reading the half hour to hour before I go into work--the night shift--as I sip a cup of tea or coffee. I rarely place the book I'm reading on a nightstand, if I read in bed it usually lands beside my pillow.

Looking forward to the discussion!

Pamela

Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

Dear Ms. Mitchell,

First, let me say I NEVER turn the page down.   :smileysurprised:

I am so excited to be reading this book.  So far, I am not disappointed.  

Thank you for allowing us to be the first to enter your world.  And to Barnes & Noble for the opportunity to do so.   :smileytongue:

Contributor
Donna-readerinWI
0 Kudos

Thank you for the introduction Ms. Mitchell, it puts a real face on an author who is nervous about what her readers are going to think about thier book!  (Even though I think most authors probably feel this way!)

I was a little nervous about starting this book as I had just finished "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane", and loved it.

But I have to say.....I was hooked on page one.  I immediantly felt a connection with the characters and can't wait to see where the story leads!!

Reader 2
kathmal
0 Kudos

I have started the book and became so involved with the story that I couldn't put it down.  It was wonderful and I am looking forward to the discussion. 
Correspondent
ssizemore
0 Kudos

Dear Ms Mitchell-

What a treat to hear you ideas about your book's journey!  I too find the world of reading an all encompassing one.  I have begun reading and can already tell that this would be a wonderful read for our book club.  We have talked so often about the power of the written word and what joy it brings to each of us as adults and also the joy we felt as children.  Yes, your book is on my nightstand, but it will also journey with me to Tennessee next week as I go to take care of my grandchildren.  I plan to read slowly (not like me!) and savor the descriptions and character development.

I join the other readers in thanking you and Barnes and Noble for allowing me to be a part of this process! Sandy

Contributor
Nancy625
0 Kudos

Hello I'm thrilled to be reading your book.  I'm so happy you shared your feelings about releasing your book.  I am especially interested in your book because at the same time as your book my ansestors were homesteading in the Great Plains of America.  Thanks again,  Nancy

Mix
New User
Mix
0 Kudos

Thank you for allowing us to be among your first readers. Though having planned to savor this slowly, I had it finished less than 48 hours after receiving it.  Well done! Your ability to capture such an unflinching time, type and place and depict it so compassionately and astutely is a joy to experience.

Thank you again!

Reader 2
newsally
0 Kudos

Wonderful comments,  KathMal. I couldn't agree more.
Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

Shandi-

Thank you for sharing your book -- my copy arrived yesterday -- I am looking forward to reading it.

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Thanks for the author and BN,

I loved the way you are carrying the discussions. Now, authors give us some opinions about the book before we begin the discussions. It gives us a support to read the book and imagine all of the things which evoke or were used to create the story.

Like most of the readers I'm enjoying the book. I couldn't finish it yet because my reading coincided to the end of the semester at university (differently of the U.S here in Brazil our university year is divided into 2 semesters only). But I didn't stop reading it yet, even being a few pages a day.

Contributor
JeniferKAllison
0 Kudos

Dearest Ms. Mitchell:

The opportunity to be one of the first to share your story is an honor.  I have just completed my first reading of Under This Unbroken Sky and I can tell you only one thing, I will be reading it again.  And, likely a time or two after that.  Also, I can tell you, I have shared the story with my lover, my best friend, and my 5 year old son.  

You story traveled with me from Virginia to my home in Western NY.  Though between visits very little reading got done, I was eager to return home and find time to settle down with Maria, Teodor, and the children.  That was not to happen, however, as on our return trip we were stopped in trafffic and I was so thankful to have your book there in my purse.  Thirteen hours pass much more quickly with good company.  

Ms. Mitchell, your story lives beautiful.

Thank you.

Correspondent
joyfull

Hi Shandi,

I'm sure it must be hard to finally let your baby leave home and make it's way in the world. Don't worry, Mom. You did well and it will make it's way just fine.

I've had your book with me a lot this past week. I've read in a chair, in bed, during breakfast and lunch. Then we went out doors for a while, then in the car and off to the dentist's office. It fits well in my purse so I also took it to the movies to watch while waiting for the show to start. 

Even when I'm not reading I'm still thinking about the people in your book. They are pretty vulnerable and I'm worried about them. I'm only about 100 pages in but already I'm concerned that Stephan is trouble for Teodor.

Basically, what I'm saying is to relax about your book. The First Look Book Clubbers will treat it with respect. We'll spread the word and others will treat your book kindly too.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
Frequent Contributor
girlie0620
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the opportunity to read this book. I have received the copy and I am very excited to begin. Michelle
Frequent Contributor
cocospals

[ Edited ]

Ms. Mitchell,

Thank you for the privilege of reading your book. I think it is wonderful that Barnes and Noble gives authors the chance to "put it out there", read the comments, savor the good ones and learn from the not so good ones prior to the public release. I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of the experience. I am about halfway thru your book and the words  that pop to mind are "addicting" and "thought-provoking". Addicting, not in the sense that I can't put it down because obviously I can if I am only halfway thru it, but in the sense that I want to see how the characters evolve, how their journey goes, do they suceed or do they fail. Thought-provoking because I wonder if these are experiences that my family's ancestors had. My side immigrated from Italy, my husband's side from Germany and Slovania. How did they live? How did they make enough money to exist? What did they eat?

My book has only gone from the bedroom to the patio and to work to sneak a few pages in at lunchtime. When the discussion is done and we move onto the next prize, my father, who instilled his belief that every book has something to be learned from, will get the privilege of reading your book. I am sure he will enjoy it as much as I am.

Gayle

Message Edited by cocospals on 08-02-2009 08:35 AM
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Reader 2
cchotlanta
0 Kudos

So looking forward to the discussion starting tommorowThank you, Shandi!

~Carol

Inspired Contributor
bartzturkeymom
0 Kudos

Under This Unbroken Sky 

Dear Ms. Mitchell (May I call you Shandi?)

I finished your book last night and indeed did dream about the characters. They were the best part because they each emerged and became distinct, three dimensional creatures with their own wants, needs and fears.

As I read the first paragraph, I worried that it would be one of those books that drags ponderously, but those fears were quickly allayed and indeed it got on like a "house afire."

I am a very sloppy eater so I try to never eat and read at the same time, but I couldn't tear myself away from reading your book and tried to imagine my plain cheese and tomato sandwich to be pyrohy instead.

This is indeed a special story. The coming disaster loomed in the back of my mind like Anna's coyotes. It howled and I shivered, but I stood tall and didn't cry until the end as what had to happen played itself out. I cried and shuddered and hoped to come out on the other side as strongly as Maria and her brood

The bookending of the black and white photo was perfect. We can only see what the photographer shows us; not all the love, heartache, strength, loyalty, or pain that is behind the people sitting there in Sunday clothes.

Thank you for sharing Teodore and his family's story with us.
There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. - Edith Wharton