Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

About the First Look Book Club

Do you have questions about the First Look program? Here are the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.

What is the First Look Book Club?
This is a unique opportunity to enroll in a private discussion with an author, and to talk to other readers about a book that won't be released for a few months. We'll send you an Advance Reading Copy -- for free! -- in time for the book club. In other words, you can be the first to get the scoop on the next great book, long before it ever hits the shelves!

How do I sign up?
Once we have a First Look selection, we'll make an announcement in the B&N Book Clubs, and open the enrollment period. If you are enrolled in one month's First Look Book Club, you're not automatically enrolled in the next one. Because quantities of ARCs are limited, each First Look Book Club will have it's own enrollment. That's the only way to ensure that everyone will have a chance to participate. Instructions on how to enroll for each club are posted with each announcement.

What exactly is an Advance Reading Copy?
An Advance Reading Copy, or ARC, is an uncorrected paperback edition created by publishers for distribution to booksellers and the media a few months before the actual publication of a new book. The ARC you'll receive will look very much like the final version of the book. It'll have all the text, and usually all the photos, illustrations, and front matter included in the finished book.

Do I have to pay for shipping?
No. The ARC -- and the shipping -- is free to you. The book will be delivered from one of our warehouses, but will not go through our normal order path and therefore will not be listed as an "order" on your Barnes & Noble.com shopping account.

When will I get my free Advance Reading Copy?
Once enrollment starts, we will alert you to when the ARCs will ship. It can take up to two weeks to get your free book.

What happens if you run out of books?
We will be monitoring demand closely, and hope to have enough books for everyone. But quantities are limited, and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Only one book per account, per person, please. If we run out of books, we'll post a message to the board, and close the enrollment period.

How do I find out about future First Look selections? Can I enroll right now?
Sorry, there's no pre-enrollment. Stay tuned to our Announcements board for news about our next First Look book club. Along with the announcement, we'll also post instructions on how to enroll.
Wordsmith
literature

Re: About the First Look Book Club

Hi Paul,

UTUS is my first First Look book club.  I've done the regular book clubs with the authors previously.  There is just so much electricity and excitement with the UTUS.  Have the previous FL bookclubs been as energetic or is this just such an exceptional book?   I was just wondering.

Thanks.

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

All the First Looks have special qualities, but some, like Shandi and UTUS, really strike a chord!

literature wrote:

Hi Paul,

UTUS is my first First Look book club.  I've done the regular book clubs with the authors previously.  There is just so much electricity and excitement with the UTUS.  Have the previous FL bookclubs been as energetic or is this just such an exceptional book?   I was just wondering.

Thanks.

New User
MyMusings
0 Kudos

This is my first time in First Look, and I was wondering when I right my review on the book am I allowed to post it on my blog as well, or is it restricted to B&N?
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Write away!

MyMusings wrote:
This is my first time in First Look, and I was wondering when I right my review on the book am I allowed to post it on my blog as well, or is it restricted to B&N?

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Write away!

MyMusings wrote: