Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh

Re: Adults and Children

So far, my thoughts on the characters in this novel are:

Maria - Strong and determined. She does whatever she has to do to make sure her family survives.

Teodor - Provider. Will work as hard as possible so his family can have the things they need.

Anna - Lost and severely depressed. Has tried to hurt herself and her unborn child. On page 47, it is said Anna has held a knife to her wrists before and that's when the coyotes first started to cry for her. They came back every night since and she tells them everything and they howl her pain.

Stefan - Abusive and an alcoholic. Would be much better for the family if he would stay away from them.

Dania - A lot like her mother. Helps with the everyday chores and translates for her mother when necessary.

Myron - Is desperately looking for his father's approval. Wants his father to notice he can do things as good as he can.

Sofia - Wants to be better off. Is ashamed her family is poor compared to the girls in her school.

Katya - Sweet. Believes that by saving the communion wafers Jesus will come and save her family.

Ivan - Loving toward animals. Believes the animals can think and feel. Knew their cow was sad when she lost her calf (pg. 35), so he stayed with the dead calf in the dumping ground and brought it things so the calf would know it wasn't alone.

Lesya - Determined not to be thought of as crippled. Probably stronger than any of the other children.

Petro - Wants his father to come home. Doesn't understand why Lesya doesn't miss him.

My favorite characters so far are Maria and Lesya. I find them to be the strongest and most determined of all the characters. If anyone can move this family through tough times, it will be these two.

April
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Read-n-Rider wrote:

kpatton wrote:

I do have one question for the group- in the initial question for response Mysha was mentioned.  I don't recall this character.  How could I miss a whole character?

Kathy

I wondered about this, too, Kathy, but have come to think it must be a misspelling of another character's name.  These Ukranian names are not what we are used to, and it is easy to get them wrong.  If Mysha is indeed a character in the book, I missed him/her too!

Joan 

Message Edited by Read-n-Rider on 08-03-2009 02:43 PM

Hi, all.

Sounds like we have slightly different editions of our ARCs! Paul and I can compare notes, but the names of characters in my edition:

Theo & Maria are parents of Xanka, Miron, Sofia, Katya, and Ivan. I have the book in front of me, so hopefully no typos, there.

Stefan and Anna are parents of Mysha and Piotr.

So far, I haven't read any other discrepancies between our editions, but I'll keep an eye out.

Rachel

Inspired Contributor
jbnie
0 Kudos

I would use the following sentences to describe four main characters. Maria, lost but she will survive and help everyone to get to a better place. Anna, lost with no idea that there might be a better place, and no idea of how to get there. Stefan, lost, bitter and determine to make everyone else the same as him, Teo, lost but home and determine to stay there. all of the main characters are lost in their own way, what makes their story so absorbing is how they find their way.

I was not surprised that the children had no toys. There was very little time for play in their world, their life was about survival and at some feel they knew it.

The adults in the story treated the children as small adults, very little thought of any was given to the fact that they might have different needs growing up. Children in the 19th and early 20th century, especially children on farms were viewed as "helping hands"

I saw Myron taking after his father and the rest I'm not sure about just yet

rkubie wrote:

If you had to describe each of our characters so far with one brief sentence, could you do it?

What do you make to Anna and Mysha's relationship to animals?

Do you have a favorite character so far?

Did you notice that the children have no toys? How do they get along with each other? How do they play? Do they get much of a chance to be children?

What is the relationship between adults and children so far in this novel?

Do you see anyone of the children taking after either of their parents?

Frequent Contributor
shelley727
0 Kudos

If you had to describe each of our characters so far with one brief sentence, could you do it?

Maria - Strong, loving and the backbone of the two families

Teodor - WIll do anything for his family (stealing his own grain back and going to jail for it) hard worker but needs to open up more.

Anna - She seems so lost & depressed.  I hope that wil change and we read further.  I  really feel for Anna. 

Stefan - Alcoholic, abusive, proud thinks only of himself and not his family.

Dania - motherly, helps take care of the children.  Helps her mother a lot with chores daily routines, translates for her mom too.

Myron - Wants to please his father.  Helped his father when he first came back from jail without disrespecting him.

Ivan - caring and sentimental with animals and his family.  Also a typical boy

Lesya - Doesnt' think of her foot as a set back.  Loving caring & strong willed person--always singing. 

Petro - proud, doesn't like that his father is absent. 

Maria is my favorite characher.  She hold those 2 families together and will let nothing tear them apart

Children back then didn't need toys to entertain themselves.   They used their imagination and created games/activities to keep themselves happy.  I think they do get sometime to be children, but they also have chores and responsibilites too.

Dania will be like her mother, caring, loving, willed.  Myron like Teodor hardworking, proud, doing what it takes to take care of his family.

Shelley
Contributor
AliceLee428

[ Edited ]

One sentence for each character:

1. Teodor is a man with a good heart and an incredible work ethic.

2. Maria is the rock that holds her family together.

3. Myron has had to become a man much earlier than he should have.

4. Katya is confused about religion (join the club!)

5. Sofia wishes she could be someone else, which worries me that she could end up like her Aunt Anna.

6. Anna is overcome with grief for the life she wanted but didn't get.

7. Lesya is an old soul in a young girl's body.

8. Stefan is an alcoholic, which makes him incredibly selfish.

9. Petro is an angry boy, who just wants to please his father.

10. I don't know what to say about Dania---I don't think she was an important character to the story.

Anna's relationship with the coyotes is interesting---she appreciates their beauty and freedom. Lesya loves all animals, particularly Happiness, of course.

My favorite character is Lesya. She is so strong and is only a little girl.

The younger children get to play and act like children from time to time (I'm thinking of the swimming). But most of their time is spent on chores. They grow up too quickly---they have to.

I think that Myron takes after Teodore and Petro takes after Stefan. And Lesya takes after her aunt, Maria.

11.  I forgot Ivan!  He is a typical little boy---as the youngest, he is more playful than the rest of the children.  

Message Edited by AliceLee428 on 08-06-2009 05:36 PM
Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama

I'm also touched and amused by Katya's childish understanding of faith, thinking that saving the communion wafers will protect her family.
MYK
Frequent Contributor
MYK

This is my second try to post this reply : (. The first one failed! I took so much time to write, I hope I can repeat my thoughts.

I was unsure of the question.If you wanted all the characters summed up in one sentence. I feel the characters have much hardship and struggle. I saw how everyone answered. Was the format for each character? I'll answer as such if so! I'm not looking for the easy way out!

Anna's relationship with the coyote's is much like the relationship with her husband. Both dangerous. Stefan comes and goes as he pleases, like the coyotes. She takes comfort in them secretly, knowing how much damage they can cause, just like Stefan.

Lesya's chick is in likeness to herself. It's very touching.

The children use their imagination, they get along well with each other for the most part.. I'd say like most children do. They don't get much time to be children, sad to say.

The relationship between adults and children is that they are very close. They rely on each other. The children look up to their parents. They are happy when their parents are happy, etc. It's so much harder emotionally for Lesya and Petro. Thank goodness for Maria and Teodor.

Sofia is not like her mother, Maria. Lesya is not like her mother Anna. All the other's follow close in their parents footsteps.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal

After reading several posts, I can't stop thinking about Sophia.  She is so different from the other children.  Sophia is a dreamer--for a life much different than she has been given.  She imagines herself in beautiful dresses and living in luxury.  Many have described Anna as damaged or disillusioned...not strong enough to survive the hard life of the wild.  I see Sophia headed down this same path.  Dania and Lesya would definitely survive if they married and were to establish roots and family of their own in the wilderness.  I am afraid that Sophia would end up walking in Anna's shoes.  Anna and Sophia seem to share a kindred spirit, even if not spoken or recognized.  I hope that I am wrong and the future holds all the best for not only Sophia, but her family.

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Contributor
danikl
0 Kudos

I agree with your comparison of Anna and Sophia. Both have unrealistic expectations so are often disappointed, eventually unable to to be "real".
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

Good Day Everyone,

I have given this particular question some thought, I have taken each character through my mind, to see if I could describe each one in a brief sentence.  Unfortunately for me, I cannot do that.  I find each character to have some complexities which if chiseled down to one sentence each would take away some of their personalities.

To Anna, the coyote has a strange but inviting connection.  I’m not sure how it all started, but it is certainly there.  My thought is that she has always had a very deep appreciation for all animals, but for some reason, in this new country and territory, the coyote has found a special place in her heart.  I found that on page 19, where there is a wonderful description.  “Fingers outstretched, Anna sat still and quiet, her breathing even.  She bowed her head and looked sideways into the animal’s eyes.  The coyote nudged its nose forward, inches from her hand.  Anna could feel its hot breath condensing into moisture in the cool night air.  She inched her fingers closer.  The animal’s lip curled, revealing an incisor.  Anna stopped and lowered her head more.  The coyote leaned forward and touched its cold nose to her warm fingers.” 

I found this section compelling and that this was the only thing that Anna did not fear.  She had not given up on the coyotes, as she appears to have done with everything else in her life.

Each of the characters is my favorite to this point in the story.  Each has their own little way of finding a way into my mind.  I guess that if I had to pick one out of the many, I would have to say, Lesya.  She is a determined strong will and fearless little girl who has had to deal with rejection and then her disabilities, which she does not even think about.  She is determined not to allow anything to hold her back. 

Did you notice that the children have no toys? How do they get along with each other? How do they play? Do they get much of a chance to be children?

I did notice that toys were absent from the scene, however, in the time frame the story is being told, many times, children actually had to use their imagination when playing and everyday things became toys.  A stick and a barrel hop could be used just to sight one example. 

The children appeared to get along quite well together, but I’m sure they each had their moments just like any group of children or adults for that matter.  I did notice that for the most part, the older children helped the younger children.  Another point to be made here is that as these children are from a farming family, they were expected to do their chores and help out on the farm.  Each was given specific tasks to perform each day, and they were held responsible for those tasks.

The one child if you can call him that, takes after his father, would be Myron.  He is the eldest child of Teodor and Maria, and when his father was sent to prison, had to take over as the man of the house, keeping the farm going.  Myron is a loving strong willed individual who learned well and is now completely ready to assist his father following his return to the family.  Myron also appears to be a very private person, much like his father appears to be.

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Sheltiemama wrote:
I'm also touched and amused by Katya's childish understanding of faith, thinking that saving the communion wafers will protect her family.
I liked that about her too, but was worried about after the fire when Jesus's body melted. I hope that doesn't affect her too much.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Zeal, you gave me a new perspective on Sophia, I hadn't put more than a childish wish to be Cinderella or any other fairy princess that we dreamed of as little girls. But you may be right.
dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

I see the similarities between Anna and Sophia but I feel that Sophia, while being a bit of a daydreamer, does try to take care of her family.  Anna seems to want to be taken care of and appears to worry only about herself. 
Frequent Contributor
Jennd1
0 Kudos

I found the animal link to certain characters interseting.  The children don't really have any toys but there is so much to be done I don't think they really have time to be kids by todays standards.  They do occasionally get a chance to play in the water or the snow though.  Anna is sad, the children and their mother are tired, their father is desperetly trying to make a new start and uncle steven is up to no good and trying to hide it.
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

Zeal wrote:

After reading several posts, I can't stop thinking about Sophia.  She is so different from the other children.  Sophia is a dreamer--for a life much different than she has been given.  She imagines herself in beautiful dresses and living in luxury.  Many have described Anna as damaged or disillusioned...not strong enough to survive the hard life of the wild.  I see Sophia headed down this same path.  Dania and Lesya would definitely survive if they married and were to establish roots and family of their own in the wilderness.  I am afraid that Sophia would end up walking in Anna's shoes.  Anna and Sophia seem to share a kindred spirit, even if not spoken or recognized.  I hope that I am wrong and the future holds all the best for not only Sophia, but her family.

I had never thought about Sophia being like Anna before, but after I read your post it started to make sense to me. Sophia is not like Dania or Lesya. She is envious of what the other girls in school have and is dreaming of leaving the farm life as soon as she can. Anna too, dreamt her life would be better than living on the farm and having to work. Hopefully Sophia ends up marrying someone for love (like her mother and father did) and doesn't marry someone for what they can give her (like Anna did).
April
Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

MSaff wrote:

Good Day Everyone,

I have given this particular question some thought, I have taken each character through my mind, to see if I could describe each one in a brief sentence.  Unfortunately for me, I cannot do that.  I find each character to have some complexities which if chiseled down to one sentence each would take away some of their personalities.

To Anna, the coyote has a strange but inviting connection.  I’m not sure how it all started, but it is certainly there.  My thought is that she has always had a very deep appreciation for all animals, but for some reason, in this new country and territory, the coyote has found a special place in her heart.  I found that on page 19, where there is a wonderful description.  “Fingers outstretched, Anna sat still and quiet, her breathing even.  She bowed her head and looked sideways into the animal’s eyes.  The coyote nudged its nose forward, inches from her hand.  Anna could feel its hot breath condensing into moisture in the cool night air.  She inched her fingers closer.  The animal’s lip curled, revealing an incisor.  Anna stopped and lowered her head more.  The coyote leaned forward and touched its cold nose to her warm fingers.” 

I found this section compelling and that this was the only thing that Anna did not fear.  She had not given up on the coyotes, as she appears to have done with everything else in her life.

Each of the characters is my favorite to this point in the story.  Each has their own little way of finding a way into my mind.  I guess that if I had to pick one out of the many, I would have to say, Lesya.  She is a determined strong will and fearless little girl who has had to deal with rejection and then her disabilities, which she does not even think about.  She is determined not to allow anything to hold her back. 

I did notice that toys were absent from the scene, however, in the time frame the story is being told, many times, children actually had to use their imagination when playing and everyday things became toys.  A stick and a barrel hop could be used just to sight one example. 

The children appeared to get along quite well together, but I’m sure they each had their moments just like any group of children or adults for that matter.  I did notice that for the most part, the older children helped the younger children.  Another point to be made here is that as these children are from a farming family, they were expected to do their chores and help out on the farm.  Each was given specific tasks to perform each day, and they were held responsible for those tasks.

The one child if you can call him that, takes after his father, would be Myron.  He is the eldest child of Teodor and Maria, and when his father was sent to prison, had to take over as the man of the house, keeping the farm going.  Myron is a loving strong willed individual who learned well and is now completely ready to assist his father following his return to the family.  Myron also appears to be a very private person, much like his father appears to be.

MStaff-

I mentioned this in another response to someone's post.  I didn't post an original thought because I find the characters to be more than I could sum up in one sentence.  

Kathy

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

aprilh wrote:

Zeal wrote:

I had never thought about Sophia being like Anna before, but after I read your post it started to make sense to me. Sophia is not like Dania or Lesya. She is envious of what the other girls in school have and is dreaming of leaving the farm life as soon as she can. Anna too, dreamt her life would be better than living on the farm and having to work. Hopefully Sophia ends up marrying someone for love (like her mother and father did) and doesn't marry someone for what they can give her (like Anna did).

April,

I hope you are right...if Sophia marries for love, not for materialistic reasons, she might be saved!  I'm afraid that Anna didn't stand a chance:smileysad:  As you pointed out, Sophia at least has a loving marriage to use as a role model.

Aimee

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

I agree completely. Maria is all those wonderful things. Teodore is also one of my favorites. He too is brave, strong, courageous, etc. etc.Lesya is also one of my favorite characters in this book. I believe we will see her develop more fully into a strong, resilient,& caring young woman.

Inspired Correspondent
ponkle

Yes, they get time to be children. They have chores but they also play. When my children were very young they didn't really have many toys but they had alot of fun. Instead of a sandbox they dug in the dirt, pots and pans and boxes work fine as toys. Children can make fun out of anything, their imaginations are wonderful. 

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

I think Anna and Sophia are a lot alike not only with regard to the type of life they want to lead but with regard to their lack of drive.  We've seen Sophia give up over and over...when fighting the fire...when wanting to just stay in the wagon when Myron is trying to get it in the lake.  Anna also gives up....she eats dirt and wishes to end her misery instead of getting up off it and taking care of her children and making the best of her life.  Even with Stefan away, she chooses to wallow in her misery.  I believe that she is beaten down and is suffering with an unwanted pregnancy, but she is the adult and chooses to put herself first, albeit in a negative way, rather than fighting for her children's welfare and to make her life the best it can be.  I think she's selfish.  Sophia thinks she's too good for the life she's been born into.  You can almost see her making a bad decision in choosing a husband - she'll make the choice on who can get her into town and away from the fields - not who will lover her and make the best husband.
"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom