Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
dragonfly_yayn
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I like that line, it's very true.
meme1 wrote:
I've just started AMERICA AMERICA by Ethan Canin so I don't know if I favor it or not.  But I did find a line interesting:  "... liked his enemies best because he never had to doubt their sincerity."  Unique philosophy.:smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
nadine1
0 Kudos

I am currently reading the following books for my yoga teacher training program:

The Living Gita; The Complete Bhagavad Gita  

Bringing Yoga to Life  

Somatics  

Silence  

Teaching Yoga  

The Language of Yoga   

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

I loved America, America and especially the line about the enemies.  How true!  Thanks everyone for all the suggestions about books.  Now, my book list has expanded by a page! :smileyhappy:

Anna Louise

Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

Re: What I'm reading now.

Amanda-Louise wrote:

I'm just starting Out Stealing Horses, and then I'll move on to Time Traveler's Wife (the movie comes out next month and I've not read the book yet, but have a date with a friend to see the film - I have to read the book before seeing the movie!).

I'll be at the cottage the first few weeks of August (with computer access, so I'll still be able to participate, thank goodness), and I'll be reading my yearly Gabaldon novel.  I'm on book 4 - at this rate I'll never catch up.

Cheers,

Amanda

I loved Time Traveler's Wife and also enjoyed Out Stealing Horses.  Two very different styles of books - one is so fast paced and the other more slow and leisurely.

Jane

Jane M.
Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

Although I have participated in a couple FL discussions, I feel very new at this.  I am awed and inspired by the many books you are all reading and suggesting.  I thought of writing some of them down to read next and decided to just return to your posts.  I don't know how to bring the graphic of the book into my text so will just tell you the books I am currently reading.  I am almost finished (and will probably finish today) Sometimes Mine by Martha Moody (an advance copy) and will then start The Story of Marriage by Andrew Sean Greer wich is my selection for my book club.  If you haven't read Mudbound by Hillary Jordan, it is the book I am currently recommending to all of my friends.

Kathy

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I also just started reading Twilight because my daughter and her friends are reading it.

I also wanted to know what if all hoopla about the books, actors and movies etc. were based on a well written book.

So far I am liking it. I am only about 100 pages in.

jabrkeKB wrote:
Currently I am reading

Sarah's Key  for my neighborhood book club.

I am also readingTwilight  because my daughter wants me to.

Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

Re: I love First Look

vivico1 wrote:

Paul,

Have you read Robert Kurson's Crashing Through? It reads like a novel but is a very real story. It is a fantastic story! Something like that would be good.

PaulH wrote:

Hi Thayer,

What do you think would work best nonfiction-wise? I imagine history would be good.

P.

Thanks for the suggestion Vivian - I've added Crashing Through to my wish list :smileyhappy:.

I think a memoir could also be interesting!

Contributor
quiltgranny
0 Kudos

I am finding this a dangerous place to read!  I now have at least five more books on my wish list based on members reading and recommendations.  I know that I have over 100 books on my shelves waiting for me to find them next, and they are all begging to be first.  

Right now I am reading One Thousand White Women, the Journals of May Dodd, and I am enjoying it immensely!  

One Thousand White Women  

I can hardly wait for the new selection to arrive and the discussion to begin! 

Quiltgranny
Life is simple: Eat, read, quilt, sleep, repeat!
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Quiltgranny, I agree with you.  This is my go-to place to find recommendations.  I enjoyed reading Dog on It by Spencer Quinn and found out about the book from the First Look's Community Room posts.  Off to find out more about One Thousand White Women!

quiltgranny wrote:

I am finding this a dangerous place to read!  I now have at least five more books on my wish list based on members reading and recommendations.  I know that I have over 100 books on my shelves waiting for me to find them next, and they are all begging to be first.  

Right now I am reading One Thousand White Women, the Journals of May Dodd, and I am enjoying it immensely!  

One Thousand White Women  

I can hardly wait for the new selection to arrive and the discussion to begin! 

Correspondent
scnole
0 Kudos

meme1 wrote:
I've just started AMERICA AMERICA by Ethan Canin so I don't know if I favor it or not.  But I did find a line interesting:  "... liked his enemies best because he never had to doubt their sincerity."  Unique philosophy.:smileywink:

I read America America last year and really liked it.   Hope you will enjoy it as much as  I did.
Correspondent
scnole
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading "Physick Book of Deliverance".  So far, I'm enoying it.    :smileyhappy:
Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

Thanks for the book recommendations.  I just looked up Mudbound and it looks great!  Another book added to my growing reading list.

Judy

kpatton wrote:

Although I have participated in a couple FL discussions, I feel very new at this.  I am awed and inspired by the many books you are all reading and suggesting.  I thought of writing some of them down to read next and decided to just return to your posts.  I don't know how to bring the graphic of the book into my text so will just tell you the books I am currently reading.  I am almost finished (and will probably finish today) Sometimes Mine by Martha Moody (an advance copy) and will then start The Story of Marriage by Andrew Sean Greer wich is my selection for my book club.  If you haven't read Mudbound by Hillary Jordan, it is the book I am currently recommending to all of my friends.

Kathy

Correspondent
mamawli
0 Kudos

I just purchased the new Janet Evanovich  Finger Licking Fifteen for a fast fun read.  I have also been catching up on some old Harlan Coben Myron Bolitar novels.  Harlan Coben is one of my favorite authors and I have read most of his works. Just finished  Drop Shot and the  Final Detail and will start Fade Away.

I am hoping to get the new read, UNDER THIS UNBROKEN SKY to read out at the pool soon.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I recently just finished Janet Evanovich  Fearless Fourteen. It was a fast fun read. It made me laugh many times. It was great. I loaned it out at work and 2 people have already finished it, the third person will be starting. Great books to share.

pen21

mamawli wrote:

I just purchased the new Janet Evanovich  Finger Licking Fifteen for a fast fun read.  I have also been catching up on some old Harlan Coben Myron Bolitar novels.  Harlan Coben is one of my favorite authors and I have read most of his works. Just finished  Drop Shot and the  Final Detail and will start Fade Away.

I am hoping to get the new read, UNDER THIS UNBROKEN SKY to read out at the pool soon.

Message Edited by pen21 on 07-06-2009 05:16 PM
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Pen21 and mamawli--I'm so glad you mentioned Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books; I was about  to do that myself.  Several weeks ago I read the first one, One for the Money, and I was hooked!  Since then, I've read them all in order--just finished Lean Mean Thirteen and am reading Plum Lovin', one of the books Ms. E. calls Stephanie Plum "between the numbers" novels.  I can't remember books that have made me laugh out loud so often.  Fast and fun reading--I recommend them highly when you want to read something that just makes you feel good.

Joan

Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

Hi Thayer,

What do you think would work best nonfiction-wise? I imagine history would be good.

P.

Thayer wrote:

Paul,

So many of us have remarked that First Look encourages us to break out of our normal genres to read, enjoy and recommend titles that we might not otherwise have chosen.

This one sounds great and promises to provide many subtexts for us to dissect, er, I mean discuss.  :smileywink:

Do you think First Look will ever offer a non-fiction title in future? Just curious.

Thanks, I can't wait to see the oxcart rambling down my street. Gives whole new meaning to "see what Brown can do for you."   LOL

Paul,

History sounds great!  But as always, I am up for anything First Look throws my way!

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

I've just finished reading the part where he doesn't win the primary.  I'm really curious about the female body mentioned earlier in the story and its connection to the accident in the snow.  At first I wasn't too much into the book, but it's pulling me in.:smileywink:

Anna_Louise wrote:

I loved America, America and especially the line about the enemies.  How true!  Thanks everyone for all the suggestions about books.  Now, my book list has expanded by a page! :smileyhappy:

Anna Louise

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

This is one of my all time favorites.  I see that it has really "shot up" on the bestseller list.

scnole wrote:
I'm currently reading "Physick Book of Deliverance".  So far, I'm enoying it.    :smileyhappy:

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thayer wrote:

PaulH wrote:

Hi Thayer,

P.

Thayer wrote:

Paul,

So many of us have remarked that First Look encourages us to break out of our normal genres to read, enjoy and recommend titles that we might not otherwise have chosen.

This one sounds great and promises to provide many subtexts for us to dissect, er, I mean discuss.  :smileywink:

Do you think First Look will ever offer a non-fiction title in future? Just curious.

Thanks, I can't wait to see the oxcart rambling down my street. Gives whole new meaning to "see what Brown can do for you."   LOL

Paul,

History sounds great!  But as always, I am up for anything First Look throws my way!

History would be great,for me it would be anything pertaining to "Los Alamos" ,but really any historical event,time period would be a good change from Fiction,we know Paul you are always looking to entertain our minds. Vermontcozy

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
abbyg7

I just started The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent.  I'm not too far into it yet, but so far I like it.  It is another book about the Salem witch trials.

My To Be Read pile is getting too large.  I have five new books I bought in the last week, including Columbine by Dave Cullen,  Little Bee by Chris Cleave, and The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff.  I'll see how many I can finish before the new First Look selection shows up on my porch.  There's nothing more pleasant than coming home from work, finding that package, and spending an hour or so on the porch swing with a new book.