Contributor
Sensitivemuse
0 Kudos

Re: I love First Look

I want to read The Heretic's Daughter too. It's on my wishlist :smileyhappy: it looks interesting. Hopefully it's worth the read (so far you're liking it so that's a good thing!)
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Let us know how you like The Heretic's Daughter.  There were a few of us that read that around the same time as Deliverance Dane.  Great Book!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Inspired Correspondent
ladybug74
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

januttall wrote:

Shape of Mercy  

I'm just about to immerse myself in this for my IRL book club. (This was my pick - does the theme seem at all familiar to anyone?)

julie

Message Edited by januttall on 07-01-2009 06:52 PM

I have added this to my wishlist.  It sounds like a book that I would enjoy.It's amazing how many times I have come across the name "Mercy" in my reading since reading Deliverance Dane

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am reading

Don Quixote

The Last Best Hope 

Message Edited by thewanderingjew on 07-07-2009 09:31 PM
Inspired Contributor
JoyZ
0 Kudos

Wow, so many great choices for choosing my next book.  I just finished The Help and also Hotel on The Corner of Bitter and Sweet.  Loved them both. 
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Someone indicated Canadian writers. My first experience with them was through Alice Munro's books. I'd indicate two of them I really liked. This writer got some important prizes of literature. Her short stories are deep and absorb the reader.

Runaway 

Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage  

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I read The Heretic's Daughter along with The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and enjoyed it. Please let us know what you think. :smileyhappy:

abbyg7 wrote:

I just started The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent.  I'm not too far into it yet, but so far I like it.  It is another book about the Salem witch trials.

My To Be Read pile is getting too large.  I have five new books I bought in the last week, including Columbine by Dave Cullen,  Little Bee by Chris Cleave, and The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff.  I'll see how many I can finish before the new First Look selection shows up on my porch.  There's nothing more pleasant than coming home from work, finding that package, and spending an hour or so on the porch swing with a new book.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

If anyone is reading EAST OF THE SUN, go to the new reads club. The author is there now and would love to visit with us. There are only a couple of people in there right now and I would hate to see our authors lose interest because of lack of participation. This is only her second novel and its great!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

ladybug74 wrote:

januttall wrote:

Shape of Mercy  

I'm just about to immerse myself in this for my IRL book club. (This was my pick - does the theme seem at all familiar to anyone?)

julie

Message Edited by januttall on 07-01-2009 06:52 PM

I have added this to my wishlist.  It sounds like a book that I would enjoy.It's amazing how many times I have come across the name "Mercy" in my reading since reading Deliverance Dane

I finished it this morning; it's a quick read and I really, really enjoyed it!  Now I think I'm going to read The Cabinet of Curiosities, which came highly recommended by an Indie Bookstore owner.

Cabinet of Curiosities 

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

2009 National Book Festival

Hi everyone!

I'm even more excited now than when I received my confirmation.  The 2009 National Book Festival information is up on the web!  Tons of my favorite authors!!  Go check it out and if anyone lives near WDC, would love to meet you there!:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
GadgetgirlKS

Re: 2009 National Book Festival

I love all the recommendations! I feel much better hearing that other people have a long list of books they want to read. I joke that I need a book buying "intervention" because I buy more books each month, then I could read in a year! I should have had a profession related to books (librarian, editor, etc.). I just finished Tender at the Bone, Beneath a Marble Sky (HIGHLY RECOMMEND), Sundays at Tiffany's, Picking Cotton, and The Inheritance of Loss (don't recommend). I am getting ready to start reading Love MarriageCutting for Stone, and Shanghai Girls.

How do you add small pictures of the books? I tried to add pictures, but they ended up being too large.

Contributor
Bengel
0 Kudos

Hi GadgetgirlKS,

How was Sunday at Tiffany's?.... it's in my "to be read" pile  :smileyhappy:

GadgetgirlKS wrote:

I love all the recommendations! I feel much better hearing that other people have a long list of books they want to read. I joke that I need a book buying "intervention" because I buy more books each month, then I could read in a year! I should have had a profession related to books (librarian, editor, etc.). I just finished Tender at the Bone, Beneath a Marble Sky (HIGHLY RECOMMEND), Sundays at Tiffany's, Picking Cotton, and The Inheritance of Loss (don't recommend). I am getting ready to start reading Love MarriageCutting for Stone, and Shanghai Girls.

How do you add small pictures of the books? I tried to add pictures, but they ended up being too large.

Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Re: What I'm reading now.

Jane!  I'm so struggling with The Time Traveler's Wife!  Help.  I'm really, really enjoying the romantic thread, but I'm totally intellectualizing the time travel.  I can't stop asking myself (the entire time I'm reading) how and why?  I need to know the physics behind it before I can settle in to the book.  A girlfriend of mine told me to read TTW because we are going to see the movie next month, and I call her every day and say "I just don't understand!"  It's been a really long time since she's read it, so all she can say is "well, perhaps it's just not a book for academicians". 

Any thoughts????

JaneM wrote:

I loved Time Traveler's Wife and also enjoyed Out Stealing Horses.  Two very different styles of books - one is so fast paced and the other more slow and leisurely.

Jane

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Hi Gadgetgirl,

When you are on the Reply Screen look at the task bar and icons above it. The last one says Add Product. Click on it and you'll get a search screen. Key in the book title you want to search for, click search, then click "Add link and image."

Shanghai Girls 

GadgetgirlKS wrote in part:

Correspondent
Stewies_Mom
0 Kudos

So, I'm new to FL.  How do you know you have been selected for inclusion?  Do you get a message in your inbox, or do you have to wait and see if a book shows up on your doorstop?
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Stewies_Mom wrote:
So, I'm new to FL.  How do you know you have been selected for inclusion?  Do you get a message in your inbox, or do you have to wait and see if a book shows up on your doorstop?

Yes, you get a message in your inbox; then it's just a matter of waiting for your book to arrive.  Since Paul hasn't yet posted that enrollment has closed, chances are excellent that you'll be included.  Sooooo, welcome aboard, Stewies_Mom!

Joan

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

Hi,

To everyone who read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, Katherine has posted a note to you all in our Unabashedly Bookish Blog.

Paul

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Under the Broken Sky will be my 2nd FL.  When reading Of Bees and Mist, I made the mistake of reading the whole book - didn't realize there was a reading schedule for specific chapters - and, because there was so much to discuss, I found it difficult to remember everything!  Is there typically a schedule to follow or does it depend on the book?  I'll get the hang of this yet!

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Sorry....Under This Unbroken Sky....
"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Paul,

Thanks for the link to Katherine's note.  What a heartfelt thank you!  It's great to see that Physick Book is at #2 on the NYT Bestseller List.  I had a feeling this book would become an instant hit.

Carolyn

PaulH wrote:

Hi,

To everyone who read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, Katherine has posted a note to you all in our Unabashedly Bookish Blog.

Paul