Frequent Contributor
GadgetgirlKS
0 Kudos

Re: 2009 National Book Festival

Bengel,

Sundays at Tiffany's was a super fast, fun, and light hearted read. I enjoyed it, hope you do too.

Sundays at Tiffany's 

Bengel wrote:

Hi GadgetgirlKS,

How was Sunday at Tiffany's?.... it's in my "to be read" pile 

Frequent Contributor
GadgetgirlKS
0 Kudos

Thank you for answering my question! That was so easy!

Sunltcloud wrote:

Hi Gadgetgirl,

When you are on the Reply Screen look at the task bar and icons above it. The last one says Add Product. Click on it and you'll get a search screen. Key in the book title you want to search for, click search, then click "Add link and image."

Shanghai Girls 

GadgetgirlKS wrote in part:

How do you add small pictures of the books? I tried to add pictures, but they ended up being too large.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Thanks, Paul  :smileywink:

PaulH wrote:

Hi,

To everyone who read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, Katherine has posted a note to you all in our Unabashedly Bookish Blog.

Paul

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Check out the link Paul sent, you can post comments and give laurels on this page to Katherine Howe. I am hoping she reads them. It was a great book.

Paul, thanks for posting this.

PaulH wrote:

Hi,

To everyone who read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, Katherine has posted a note to you all in our Unabashedly Bookish Blog.

Paul

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

Re: I love First Look

nlsamson wrote:
Let us know how you like The Heretic's Daughter.  There were a few of us that read that around the same time as Deliverance Dane.  Great Book!

I was a part of the Deliverance Dane FL and enjoyed that book a lot.  I look forward to hearing how others like the Heretic's Daughter.  I'm going to add it to my next read pile.

Kathy

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

GadgetgirlKS wrote:

I love all the recommendations! I feel much better hearing that other people have a long list of books they want to read. I joke that I need a book buying "intervention" because I buy more books each month, then I could read in a year! I should have had a profession related to books (librarian, editor, etc.). I just finished Tender at the Bone, Beneath a Marble Sky (HIGHLY RECOMMEND), Sundays at Tiffany's, Picking Cotton, and The Inheritance of Loss (don't recommend). I am getting ready to start reading Love MarriageCutting for Stone, and Shanghai Girls.

How do you add small pictures of the books? I tried to add pictures, but they ended up being too large.

I read Shanghai Girls as an advance copy.  I had previously read See's  two previous novels and loved them.  I wouldn't say I liked this book as much but it is still a very good book.  Look forward to hearing what you think.

I have questions about how to add pictures also.

Kathy

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Check out the link Paul sent, you can post comments and give laurels on this page to Katherine Howe. I am hoping she reads them. It was a great book.

PaulH wrote:

Hi,

Paul

What is a laurel?

Kathy

Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

Re: What I'm reading now.

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Jane!  I'm so struggling with The Time Traveler's Wife!  Help.  I'm really, really enjoying the romantic thread, but I'm totally intellectualizing the time travel.  I can't stop asking myself (the entire time I'm reading) how and why?  I need to know the physics behind it before I can settle in to the book.  A girlfriend of mine told me to read TTW because we are going to see the movie next month, and I call her every day and say "I just don't understand!"  It's been a really long time since she's read it, so all she can say is "well, perhaps it's just not a book for academicians". 

Any thoughts????

JaneM wrote:

I loved Time Traveler's Wife and also enjoyed Out Stealing Horses.  Two very different styles of books - one is so fast paced and the other more slow and leisurely.

Jane

I enjoyed the time travel concept, which I certainly don't claim to understand.  Sometimes you have to just go with the flow and try not to pin it down too carefully because it would hurt your brain!  On occasion I like stories or movies that tease me with an idea that I find challenging, even if I can't explain how and why.  A movie like that was Memento.  Anyway, I remember it as a very fast read so I must have suspended belief and found pleasure in the love story.  Good luck!

Jane

Jane M.
pen21

I copied this from another thread that explained laurels

Laurels

Laurels – the new green buttons that you see on the right side of every message - are a way of showing your appreciation for a post that you’ve read here on the Book Clubs.   Did someone say something that you think is insightful, funny, or profound; something that made you look at a book in a new way, or helped you learn something?  Simply click on the green button to reward that post with laurels.  Getting laurels from other users – and giving them out yourself – contributes to your rank here at the Book Clubs and will eventually grant you the ability to give larger numbers of laurels – as well as access to special features.

Hope this helps you.

Pen21

kpatton wrote:

pen21 wrote:

PaulH wrote:

Hi,

Paul

What is a laurel?

Kathy

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Re: I love First Look

bookowlie wrote:

Actually, there was a First Look non-fiction book last year - The Mighty Queens of Freeville by Amy Dickinson.  It's a memoir.  Some of the members may not have read it since it was the only time FL gave you a choice of 2 books and you could only choose one of them.  The other book was The Believers.

Thayer wrote:

Paul,

So many of us have remarked that First Look encourages us to break out of our normal genres to read, enjoy and recommend titles that we might not otherwise have chosen.

This one sounds great and promises to provide many subtexts for us to dissect, er, I mean discuss.  :smileywink:

Do you think First Look will ever offer a non-fiction title in future? Just curious.

Thanks, I can't wait to see the oxcart rambling down my street. Gives whole new meaning to "see what Brown can do for you."   LOL

Yeah, I should've picked The Mighty Queens of Freeville instead of The Believers.  So glad I haven't had to choose books again.

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

scnole wrote:
I'm currently reading "Physick Book of Deliverance".  So far, I'm enoying it.    :smileyhappy:

Ohhh, great bookI thoroughly enjoyed it.

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

PaulH wrote:

Hi,

Paul

I went to the link and posted a comment.  I hoping she reads them also.  I really liked The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.

Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

Read-n-Rider wrote:

Pen21 and mamawli--I'm so glad you mentioned Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books; I was about  to do that myself.  Several weeks ago I read the first one, One for the Money, and I was hooked!  Since then, I've read them all in order--just finished Lean Mean Thirteen and am reading Plum Lovin', one of the books Ms. E. calls Stephanie Plum "between the numbers" novels.  I can't remember books that have made me laugh out loud so often.  Fast and fun reading--I recommend them highly when you want to read something that just makes you feel good.

Joan

Someone gave me a bag full of Janet Evonovich books when I was on bed rest with my first child almost 5 years ago.  I read them all (one a day) for over a week.  It was a great escape!!  I've faithfully read her new books as they come out and have number fifteen on my nightstand to start this weekend - can't wait to see what Stephanie gets herself into this time.  These books are a great way to take a break from some of the "heavier" books I've been reading lately.  I'm also in the middle of David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

I can't give laurels - What do I do?

[ Edited ]

I realized all the laurels I gave were not registered. Has this happened to you anytime? What can I do to give laurels? I don't know what is happening!!

AH! In time: I've just received my copy. I'll start the reading this weekend.

Thanks the participante, BN and Paul for another opportunity of discussions.

Message Edited by marciliogq on 07-11-2009 02:25 PM
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: I can't give laurels - What do I do?

Hi Marciloiogq! Are you clicking on the laurels or the number? If you are clicking on the laurel picture and they aren't showing, I suggest you send Paul a PM so he can find the glitch. Am I misreading or did you get your book already? That would be awesome since you waited soooo long last time. :smileywink:

marciliogq wrote:

I realized all the laurels I gave were not registered. Has this happened to you anytime? What can I do to give laurels? I don't know what is happening!!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

No spoilers :smileyhappy:

marciliogq wrote:

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Don't worry PaulH, I always follow the FL rules. Thanks!

PaulH wrote:

No spoilers :smileyhappy:

marciliogq wrote:

pen21
0 Kudos

I am so glad you have yours. I am looking forward to your posts.

marciliogq wrote:

Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

reading with schedule?

Last time was the first time I read with the schedule and I really enjoyed reading that way.

However, I was worried about going into certain threads, particularly character ones.  And, I never got to the author thread because I really couldn't see how that could go without spoilers.

Any way to deal with this?  Anyone reading with the schedule and avoiding spoilers?

Thanks!

Amanda

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: reading with schedule?

Amanda,

I read with the schedule and didn't find any spoilers in any of the threads. I think there were two in the beginning, (a simple mistake by a poster) but I must have read right over them without noticing. I read about them afterwards. Even the author was quite careful not to discuss things ahead of time.

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Last time was the first time I read with the schedule and I really enjoyed reading that way.

However, I was worried about going into certain threads, particularly character ones.  And, I never got to the author thread because I really couldn't see how that could go without spoilers.

Any way to deal with this?  Anyone reading with the schedule and avoiding spoilers?

Thanks!

Amanda