Reply
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: reading with schedule?

Hi, Amanda. I read with the schedule and try to avoid spoilers. :smileyhappy:  It doesn't always work out that way, but if I come across something that is a spoiler, I tag it for later reading. The only ones that are supposed to be spoiler free are the chapter topics. The character, places, etc. don't have to be, so it is nice when people put "spoiler" or chapter numbers in the title so they can be avoided until later. As far as the author section, you should feel free to post questions that you have. I have found that the authors don't want to put spoilers out there, so are very careful about how they answer. I hopes this helps answer your question. :smileyhappy:


Amanda-Louise wrote:

Last time was the first time I read with the schedule and I really enjoyed reading that way.

 

However, I was worried about going into certain threads, particularly character ones.  And, I never got to the author thread because I really couldn't see how that could go without spoilers.

 

Any way to deal with this?  Anyone reading with the schedule and avoiding spoilers?

 

 

Thanks!

Amanda


 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
thebookin
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎07-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Hello. Not sure if this is the right place to post this but i registered for this book and i got a message saying Confirmed. I'm not sure what that means?
Thanks for any help, new here and trying to figure stuff out.

Natalie :0)

Natalie
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library...."
Jorge Luis Borges
Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
Posts: 238
Registered: ‎06-17-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Hi Natalie:

 

Welcome to FL!!!  I'm new as well and confirmed means that you're part of the group and confirmed to received the book.  Don't know when the books will be mailed but you "in"!!  Hope this helps and glad you're part of FL with us! :smileyhappy:

 

Anna Louise

Contributor
thebookin
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎07-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Oh thats awesome! Well i'm sure looking forward to chatting about it.

Thanks a ton

Natalie

Natalie
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library...."
Jorge Luis Borges
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Welcome to the group, Natalie! Confirmed - isn't that a great word! :smileywink:


nataliew452 wrote:

Hello. Not sure if this is the right place to post this but i registered for this book and i got a message saying Confirmed. I'm not sure what that means?
Thanks for any help, new here and trying to figure stuff out.

Natalie :0)


 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
julyso
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎12-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I read Sarah's Key couple of months ago & I just loved it! It is one of my favorites. I also read Twilight just to keep up with what my junior high kids (librarian, not mom!) are into. I liked it, didn't love it-didn't feel the need to read the rest of the series.

 


jabrkeKB wrote:
Currently I am reading

Sarah's Key  for my neighborhood book club.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I am also readingTwilight  because my daughter wants me to.


 

Julie
Frequent Contributor
julyso
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎12-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Right now, I am reading...Swimsuit,  Sunnyside Blues, and  Plea of Insanity. I just had to try the add product thing, so easy & so cool! I didn't know you could do that!:smileysurprised:  
Julie
Contributor
thebookin
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎07-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Thanks Donna! Yes its an awesome word LOL!!

Natalie :0)
Natalie
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library...."
Jorge Luis Borges
Inspired Contributor
Linda10
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎10-02-2007

Re: Community Room

Hello everyone!

 

This post probably should actually go in the "About" thread.  But there seems to be much more activity in this thread and I didn't want anyone to miss this.

 

So, I was watching "Jeopardy" the other night.  And sometimes during a commercial break, they will have a segment called "Ask Alex."  This is where people ask Alex Trebek personal questions, such as, "What is your wife's name?" or "What kind of car do you drive?"  Well, this particular evening, the question posed was, "What kind of a name is 'Trebek'?"  His reply was, "It's Ukranian."  He then proceeded to show a photograph taken many years ago, which I believe was of him as a child and his parents.  I'm almost sure Alex Trebek is in his early 70's, which would have made his birthdate sometime in the 1930's.  And, yes, anyone who is a regular of "Jeopardy" knows that Alex Trebek hails from Canada.

 

Hmmm -- does this sound like any book we know?  Just had to share that!

 

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Very neat  :smileyhappy:


Linda10 wrote:

Hello everyone!

 

This post probably should actually go in the "About" thread.  But there seems to be much more activity in this thread and I didn't want anyone to miss this.

 

So, I was watching "Jeopardy" the other night.  And sometimes during a commercial break, they will have a segment called "Ask Alex."  This is where people ask Alex Trebek personal questions, such as, "What is your wife's name?" or "What kind of car do you drive?"  Well, this particular evening, the question posed was, "What kind of a name is 'Trebek'?"  His reply was, "It's Ukranian."  He then proceeded to show a photograph taken many years ago, which I believe was of him as a child and his parents.  I'm almost sure Alex Trebek is in his early 70's, which would have made his birthdate sometime in the 1930's.  And, yes, anyone who is a regular of "Jeopardy" knows that Alex Trebek hails from Canada.

 

Hmmm -- does this sound like any book we know?  Just had to share that!

 


 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I see that registration is now closed. The oxcarts must be on their way soon. I hope none get stuck in the Canadian tundra. But wait, the books come from New York, don't they? That means that the oxen have been prepped for city traffic instead of country road ruts and should be used to merging, stopping for red lights, and evading cycling couriers. Are they going to be stabled overnight or do they stay awake by slurping coffee from their troughs? At any rate, I hope they make it over the continental divide to the west coast. I've alerted my garden gnome on the front porch to listen to moaning and groaning bovines drudging up the street to my house.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Community Room

For the last few days, I have been totally submersed into Jodi Picoult's "Handle with care."

And like all the rest of her numerous novels it reads superbly like the rest of her books do.

She writes of controversial issues that seriously raises a few eyebrows or two.  This one is written about a mother who wanted to pursue a lawsuit that sued her gyn which was her best friend for wrongful birth because her daughter was born with the worst kind of brittle bone syndrome. Willow, the child with the disease, broke many bones each week, month and so on. And Willow's mother is suing the dr. for not telling her about the option to abort in the early stages of pregnancy. To me, this read is up there with 19 minutes and my sister's keeper.  I really think she is one of the most creative authors we have that writes fiction.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

You should have posted a SPOILER ALERT, Linda :smileywink:

 


Linda10 wrote:

Hello everyone!

 

This post probably should actually go in the "About" thread.  But there seems to be much more activity in this thread and I didn't want anyone to miss this.

 

So, I was watching "Jeopardy" the other night.  And sometimes during a commercial break, they will have a segment called "Ask Alex."  This is where people ask Alex Trebek personal questions, such as, "What is your wife's name?" or "What kind of car do you drive?"  Well, this particular evening, the question posed was, "What kind of a name is 'Trebek'?"  His reply was, "It's Ukranian."  He then proceeded to show a photograph taken many years ago, which I believe was of him as a child and his parents.  I'm almost sure Alex Trebek is in his early 70's, which would have made his birthdate sometime in the 1930's.  And, yes, anyone who is a regular of "Jeopardy" knows that Alex Trebek hails from Canada.

 

Hmmm -- does this sound like any book we know?  Just had to share that!

 


 

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
Posts: 238
Registered: ‎06-17-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Hi Kiakar:

 

I've read the Jodi Picoult Handle with Care.  She is a wonderful author and will be at the National Book Festival in September in WDC.   I've been fortunate enough to see her at book signings for the last four years and she spends about 1-1 1/2 years researching her topics in depth.  She's very interesting, enjoyable and a wonderful person in general. :smileyhappy:

 

Anna

Inspired Contributor
pode
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎01-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: reading with schedule?


Amanda-Louise wrote:

Last time was the first time I read with the schedule and I really enjoyed reading that way.

 

However, I was worried about going into certain threads, particularly character ones.  And, I never got to the author thread because I really couldn't see how that could go without spoilers.

 

Any way to deal with this?  Anyone reading with the schedule and avoiding spoilers?

 

 

Thanks!

Amanda


 

Oh my goodness!  I think you missed a lot not reading Erick's thread.  That was maybe my favorite part of that First Read selection.  I didn't feel like there were "spoilers" there.  Lots of insights to him and his book. I couldn't read everything because of time constraints but I thought folks were good at giving alerts for spoilers.

 

pode

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"
â Henry Ward Beecher
Frequent Contributor
artist4nature
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎09-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: reading with schedule?

I have just finished a great non-fiction book that I would like to recommend:

 

A Pearl in the Storm

A Pearl in the Storm 

 by Tori Murden McClure "the first woman to row across the Atlantic Ocean.

 

Her story is unbelievable!  She lived through hurricaine Danielle in her 23 foot specially built rowing boat.  She is a woman who sees a challenge and grabs it with her whole being.  An incredible story about an amazing woman.

 

Has anyone else read it!  Let me know what you think.

Inspired Contributor
januttall
Posts: 73
Registered: ‎09-26-2008
0 Kudos

Wish Lists


artist4nature wrote:

I have just finished a great non-fiction book that I would like to recommend:

 

A Pearl in the Storm

A Pearl in the Storm 

 by Tori Murden McClure "the first woman to row across the Atlantic Ocean.

 

Her story is unbelievable!  She lived through hurricaine Danielle in her 23 foot specially built rowing boat.  She is a woman who sees a challenge and grabs it with her whole being.  An incredible story about an amazing woman.

 

Has anyone else read it!  Let me know what you think.


This looks fantastic - thanks for the recommendation (I've added it to my wish list).

My sister just highly recommended another non-fiction selection to me.  Has anyone read

The Devil in the White City?

 
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
Posts: 546
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room


 

I finished it this morning; it's a quick read and I really, really enjoyed it!  Now I think I'm going to read The Cabinet of Curiosities, which came highly recommended by an Indie Bookstore owner.

 

 

Cabinet of Curiosities 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is a great thriller.   I have read most of the books in this series.

MG

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Wish Lists

[ Edited ]

januttall wrote:

artist4nature wrote:

I have just finished a great non-fiction book that I would like to recommend:

 


This looks fantastic - thanks for the recommendation (I've added it to my wish list).

My sister just highly recommended another non-fiction selection to me.  Has anyone read

The Devil in the White City?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


I have read "The Devil in the White City" with my bookclub. The White City is the name given to the 1893 World's Exposition in Chicago celebrating Columbus' discovery of America. I really enjoyed it very much. It has a lot of history, romance and mystery. Also a very well written book.

Message Edited by eadieburke on 07-14-2009 01:29 PM
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
Posts: 546
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Wish Lists


januttall wrote:

My sister just highly recommended another non-fiction selection to me.  Has anyone read

The Devil in the White City?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Devil in the White City is a great book.  I read it a few years back.   Erik Larson does a good job of weaving the two stories together.  I didn't get confused as to what was going on.  Both stories are riviting.

MG