Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

thewanderingjew wrote:

I too, am loving this book. I have finished next week's portion and am hard pressed not to finish reading the book entirely.

Did anyone else find that the first page made them want to keep on reading to discover who the missing people from the photograph were and who of them would meet their demise?

That device really hooked me and reeled me into the story. I hate to put it down.

The first page had me completely hooked! Shandi was so clever knowing if she dangled a few clues in front of us about what would happen to the family that we would devour the entire novel in one sitting. So far, I'm being very good staying with the reading schedule, but the book keeps calling to me to uncover its secrets!
April
Contributor
sconcannon
0 Kudos

Very interesting.  The grapes of wrath is the only book i ever used cliff notes for.  I just couldnt get through it.  I love this book so far though.  I may have to give grapes another chance.  Thanks.
"Yes she thought, laying down her brush in extreme fatigue, I have had my vision." - Virginia Woof, To the Lighthouse.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Hi TWJ and Kathy,

That's precisely why I sat on a bench in the park today and read until I was finished with the book - the photograph haunted me. Gripping story. My legs were numb when I finally got up to walk home; the sun had gone down; I was hungry. And my guess about the "demise" was wrong. I really like a book when I can't foresee the ending, and it is neither contrived nor sugar-coated. 

thewanderingjew wrote:

I too, am loving this book. I have finished next week's portion and am hard pressed not to finish reading the book entirely.

Did anyone else find that the first page made them want to keep on reading to discover who the missing people from the photograph were and who of them would meet their demise?

That device really hooked me and reeled me into the story. I hate to put it down.

Kathy S wrote:

Hi, TWJ. 

I finished the book last week.  I couldn't contain my curiosity.  Yes, the people who would "meet their demise", haunted me until I found out.  I tried to guess, all though my reading of this book...and guess what?  I couldn't guess the answer to this question in a million years!  :smileyhappy:

Kathy S.

Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

See that one of the monthly book clubs from which a person has to buy books if he elects to join has selected Bees and Mists as its blue ribbon winner!  Again, BN has given us first lookers a good choice.
meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel

I loved this book. Had to look up some words though.

pyrophy - is eastern Ukraine name,   small envelopes of noodle dough filled with potatoes, cabbage, cheese, meat, grains, or fruits

borshch - a mildly tart vegetable soup in which beets predominate, usually made from a base of rich meat stock

holubtsi - stuffed cabbage rolls

babka - a yeast cake. can be sweet or savory

khustyna - a kerchief

Contributor
thebookin
0 Kudos

EbonyAngel wrote:

I loved this book. Had to look up some words though.

pyrophy - is eastern Ukraine name,   small envelopes of noodle dough filled with potatoes, cabbage, cheese, meat, grains, or fruits

borshch - a mildly tart vegetable soup in which beets predominate, usually made from a base of rich meat stock

holubtsi - stuffed cabbage rolls

babka - a yeast cake. can be sweet or savory

khustyna - a kerchief

Oh thank you! I wondered what they meant, just hadn't had time to look it up.

I finished the book yesterday, ignoring the dirty dishes and piled up laundry! I just couldn't put it down. What an awesome story!

Natalie
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library...."
Jorge Luis Borges
Inspired Contributor
gringorn
0 Kudos

You did the right thing.  It certainly isn't a tip.  I think after 30 days if nobody calls, I would buy myself a couple of books! I know everyone else seems to be saying church or food bank.......guess I should say that too.
Contributor
AuddyMarie
0 Kudos

I agree! From the first page I felt like I was standing in the corner watching the story unfold! I too am trying to stay with the schedule, I believe I'll just offer the book to a friend for a day or two until its time for the schedule to move on! I told her about the First Look BC and she loved the idea! Hopefully she'll be joining us for this books discussion!
~~~~~~~~
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
Paul Sweeney
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud

Shandi Mitchell about "Under this Unbroken Sky" on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyvV6eBkhq0

also, an excerpt from "Baba's House" for which she won the WIFT-Toronto Kodak Filmmaker Award and the WIFT Script Award etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUFfQsmlzcM&feature=related

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

G- I can't believe you sat on a park bench until it got dark....legs numb, and hungry!!

I was prone on my bed, with food, water and bathroom at hand!  I knew, once I got started on Fall and Winter, I wouldn't answer the phone, or leave the house! 

My eyes were blurry, reading into the evening, until it was finished.  Phew!  What a day!  My back hurt the next day, though! :smileyvery-happy:

Sunltcloud wrote:

Hi TWJ and Kathy,

That's precisely why I sat on a bench in the park today and read until I was finished with the book - the photograph haunted me. Gripping story. My legs were numb when I finally got up to walk home; the sun had gone down; I was hungry. And my guess about the "demise" was wrong. I really like a book when I can't foresee the ending, and it is neither contrived nor sugar-coated. 

thewanderingjew wrote:

Kathy S wrote:

Hi, TWJ. 

I finished the book last week.  I couldn't contain my curiosity.  Yes, the people who would "meet their demise", haunted me until I found out.  I tried to guess, all though my reading of this book...and guess what?  I couldn't guess the answer to this question in a million years!  :smileyhappy:

Kathy S.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Soups on!

Altered version of Bilyi Borshch

Since I was cooking for one (which means it came out to be enough to serve at least 4), I adjusted the quantities.  I also changed a couple of ingredients to suit my needs.  I'm sure the original recipe would be even better, but I loved what I ended up with.  I wasn't in the mood to cook beets from scratch, (which I love) so I used diced canned beets.

I started with half a 3 quart pot of chicken stock (using Better Than Bullion)

adding 1 can of diced beets

Saute` in large skillet the following

(omitted lard and used Smart Balance OMEGA)

1   celery stock - diced

6   sliced musrooms

1   medium onion - diced

1   teaspoon of roasted chopped garlic (out of a jar)

1-1/2 cups of Dole shredded cabbage with carrots

1   medium potato - diced and added to mixture

dried parsley and dill weed to taste

salt to taste

I took a cup of broth and added dried buttermilk...the equivalent of one cup, adding it to the sauted vegetables.

I omitted the sour cream....only because I forgot it at the store!   Besides, it does curddle if over cooked/boiled. But with the mixture of flour for thinkening and richness of the buttermilk, I didn't feel it needed it.  You could put a dollop of sour cream on each individual bowl, with a sprig of dill for garnish, for a nice touch.

After I cooked the vegetable mixture to semi-doneness, I put them all into the pot with the broth.  Simmered it until I felt all of the vegetables were done to my taste.  Rich, white, and slightly creamy.  Because the beets were canned, they faded, and there wasn't a strong taste of beets, for those who do not like beets....as fresh beets can be strong, especially when adding the greens.  This winter I'll make the original recipe.....just too hot in my kitchen to be standing over a hot stove all day!

The weather was close to 100 degrees at noon, but I ate it anyway!  I had two helpings, then stuck it in the fridge, and ate another cup, later, cold!  Hearty and great on a winter's night!  If anyone makes the original recipe, let me know how it turns out.

Kathy S.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Kathy, my eyes were blurry too and I thought I should have gone home earlier and finished the book in more comfort.

KathyS wrote:

G- I can't believe you sat on a park bench until it got dark....legs numb, and hungry!!

I was prone on my bed, with food, water and bathroom at hand!  I knew, once I got started on Fall and Winter, I wouldn't answer the phone, or leave the house! 

My eyes were blurry, reading into the evening, until it was finished.  Phew!  What a day!  My back hurt the next day, though! :smileyvery-happy:

Sunltcloud wrote:

Hi TWJ and Kathy,

thewanderingjew wrote:

Kathy S wrote:

Hi, TWJ. 

Kathy S.

pen21
0 Kudos

Great Find!

I definitely recommend to watch both of these.

Thank you Sunltcloud.

Sunltcloud wrote:

also, an excerpt from "Baba's House" for which she won the WIFT-Toronto Kodak Filmmaker Award and the WIFT Script Award etc

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Re: Soups on!

KathyS wrote:

Altered version of Bilyi Borshch

Since I was cooking for one (which means it came out to be enough to serve at least 4), I adjusted the quantities.  I also changed a couple of ingredients to suit my needs.  I'm sure the original recipe would be even better, but I loved what I ended up with.  I wasn't in the mood to cook beets from scratch, (which I love) so I used diced canned beets.

I started with half a 3 quart pot of chicken stock (using Better Than Bullion)

adding 1 can of diced beets

Saute` in large skillet the following

(omitted lard and used Smart Balance OMEGA)

1   celery stock - diced

6   sliced musrooms

1   medium onion - diced

1   teaspoon of roasted chopped garlic (out of a jar)

1-1/2 cups of Dole shredded cabbage with carrots

1   medium potato - diced and added to mixture

dried parsley and dill weed to taste

salt to taste

I took a cup of broth and added dried buttermilk...the equivalent of one cup, adding it to the sauted vegetables.

I omitted the sour cream....only because I forgot it at the store!   Besides, it does curddle if over cooked/boiled. But with the mixture of flour for thinkening and richness of the buttermilk, I didn't feel it needed it.  You could put a dollop of sour cream on each individual bowl, with a sprig of dill for garnish, for a nice touch.

After I cooked the vegetable mixture to semi-doneness, I put them all into the pot with the broth.  Simmered it until I felt all of the vegetables were done to my taste.  Rich, white, and slightly creamy.  Because the beets were canned, they faded, and there wasn't a strong taste of beets, for those who do not like beets....as fresh beets can be strong, especially when adding the greens.  This winter I'll make the original recipe.....just too hot in my kitchen to be standing over a hot stove all day!

The weather was close to 100 degrees at noon, but I ate it anyway!  I had two helpings, then stuck it in the fridge, and ate another cup, later, cold!  Hearty and great on a winter's night!  If anyone makes the original recipe, let me know how it turns out.

Kathy S.

This sounds really good but I'm saving the receipe til fall or winter.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

Thanks for sharing that! It puts more perspective in it by hearing her speak about the novel and the why and the where.

Inspired Contributor
BooksRPam
0 Kudos

Yes, thanks, SunltCloud.  I really enjoyed seeing Shandi in the Harper Collins interview on youtube.
Pam
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing the links, Sunltcloud--very interesting!

Joan

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

You did the right thing and should give yourself a pat on the back. The owner has the opportunity to retrace his/her steps and regain the money if they choose. Leaving your number with several stores was good thinking. Not leaving it for the "tip jar" even better. :smileywink:

thewanderingjew wrote:

I have a question for you guys to think about. I found $60, this morning, on the floor in Starbucks. I asked if anyone had lost it but no one responded. I thought, wouldn't it be funny, if I had dropped the money myself? :smileywink: I was wearing an old-fashioned fanny pack and had dug money out rather sloppily myself. However, I knew I had not taken a lot of money with me so it couldn't have been mine.

Anyway, I left me name and phone number in several of the stores in the shopping area but no one has called.  I had hoped I would get a call since I am sure it is a large enough sum of money to be missed by someone. Maybe tomorrow....

Do you know what they do with found money in Starbucks? It goes into the tip jar. I did not leave the $60 there. Do you think I should have? 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

I agree. I never could have guessed how things turn out, and I'm usually pretty good at that. I gasped several times during this book and talked back to it!

Sunltcloud wrote:

Hi TWJ and Kathy,

Scribe
DSaff

Re: Soups on!

I made the Borshch for supper tonight.  It is delicious! I used a grater to prepare the beets and while it was time consuming to prepare the veggies, it was nice to taste everything mixed together after the work. It is always great to make harvest meals and the vegetables are in season here. We found it added "flavor" to the book. <grin>

KathyS wrote:

Kathy S.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com