Reply
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I'm readingSullivan's Island  The Shadow of the Wind  Lust, Loathing and a Little Lip Gloss (Sophie Katz Series #4)  
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Correspondent
meme1
Posts: 106
Registered: ‎12-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What I'm reading now.

Read OUT STEALING HORSES a while ago and truly enjoyed it.  Hope you find it a good read.

Amanda-Louise wrote:

I'm just starting Out Stealing Horses, and then I'll move on to Time Traveler's Wife (the movie comes out next month and I've not read the book yet, but have a date with a friend to see the film - I have to read the book before seeing the movie!).

 

I'll be at the cottage the first few weeks of August (with computer access, so I'll still be able to participate, thank goodness), and I'll be reading my yearly Gabaldon novel.  I'm on book 4 - at this rate I'll never catch up.

 

Cheers,

Amanda


 

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Happy 4th of July!

Have a happy and safe 4th everyone! We actually have a beautiful, sunny day on tap for our picnic and the area fireworks. WooHoo, it has been awhile.  :smileywink:

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Happy 4th of July!

Yes. Happy 4th everyone!

 


DSaff wrote:

Have a happy and safe 4th everyone! We actually have a beautiful, sunny day on tap for our picnic and the area fireworks. WooHoo, it has been awhile.  :smileywink:

 


 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Happy 4th of July!


PaulH wrote:

Yes. Happy 4th everyone!

 


DSaff wrote:

Have a happy and safe 4th everyone! We actually have a beautiful, sunny day on tap for our picnic and the area fireworks. WooHoo, it has been awhile.  :smileywink:


Happy July 4th..from Vermont..No sun,but no rain,we are happy..Fireworks,and a picnic later on in the Park,,,To DStaff,and MStaff..You both have a very positive spin on BN,I appreciate that. Vtc  To:smileytongue:aulH..Enjoy your Day with your Family,and you can't work until Monday(no postings) of course we know you will back on board .Look forward to your thoughts and postings as well..Vtc..S 


 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Happy 4th of July!

Thank you, Vtc! This is something Mike and I get to share and something we really enjoy. Mike is working today, so we have our picnic tonight. Have a great day! :smileywink:


Vermontcozy wrote:

Happy July 4th..from Vermont..No sun,but no rain,we are happy..Fireworks,and a picnic later on in the Park,,,To DStaff,and MStaff..You both have a very positive spin on BN,I appreciate that. Vtc  To:smileytongue:aulH..Enjoy your Day with your Family,and you can't work until Monday(no postings) of course we know you will back on board .Look forward to your thoughts and postings as well..Vtc..S 


 


 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
Posts: 156
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What I'm reading now.

I'm just over half-way through and really enjoy the understatedness of it.  Much like Joyce Carol Oates.  I'm so into the book I will likely finish it tonight or tomorrow morning (which is saying a lot because I just got it yesterday and I have two small children).

 

Amanda

 


meme1 wrote:
Read OUT STEALING HORSES a while ago and truly enjoyed it.  Hope you find it a good read.

 

 
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Happy Independence Day

Happy Independence Day everyone! This day, Saturday the 4th, may we all take time away from our hotdogs and fireworks to give thanks (in our own way) or good thoughts, to what a blessing this day represents to all Americans. I am most grateful to be an American, where regardless of what political party we belong to, we are free to voice our believes and where we can all come together as friends from all kinds of backgrounds. I am thankful, for simple things, like even the chance to read any book we want and to also be together in forums like this and discuss books together, freely and openly and as friends. I am thankful that that also includes making new friends from other countries without borders between us, sharing all the wonders that books have to offer and cultures have to add. For our friends in this room, from other countries, I wish you a wonderful day too filled with many blessings. And also for those far away who maybe don't know a lot about our Independence day,(or even some of us here at home :smileywink: ) here is a page with some facts about Independence days, some fun trivia, some history and celebrations. May you all take part in our celebration with us.

Independence day

 

And to all our service men and women around the world, and to their families, I wish you all on this day, peace, love offered with much respect and admiration. Happy 4th of July!!

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Reader 2
Dorish
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Independence Day

Happy 4th of July.  We had a wonderful night on the water watching the fireworks and listening to music.

 

I am reading a book for work right now, but I am also reading The People of Sparks. (the 2nd book in the Ember series)   I have a few students who enjoy this series, so at their urging I'm taking some time this summer to get some of it read.

 

Happy 4th and happy reading everyone,

 

Doris

A room without books is like a body without a soul.
Cicero
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
Posts: 195
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

I love First Look

Paul,

 

So many of us have remarked that First Look encourages us to break out of our normal genres to read, enjoy and recommend titles that we might not otherwise have chosen.

 

This one sounds great and promises to provide many subtexts for us to dissect, er, I mean discuss.  :smileywink:

 

Do you think First Look will ever offer a non-fiction title in future? Just curious.

 

Thanks, I can't wait to see the oxcart rambling down my street. Gives whole new meaning to "see what Brown can do for you."   LOL

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
Posts: 47
Registered: ‎01-30-2008
0 Kudos

4th of July

Hi everyone, I hope you all had a save and fun 4th of July.  Just taking a break from reading J.D. Robb's book Promises in Death.  So far today has been nice and sunny and not quite as hot as yesterday, but still too hot to be working outside, soooo I get another break.  Hope everyone has a great day too.  Just waiting to see if I was accepted for the latest First Look book "Under This Unbroken Sky" by Shandi Mitchell.  This book sounds like it will be a very exciting book of the past in the wilderness of Canada.  My grandmother was born in Saskatchewan, Canada and lived there for about 10 years.  We still have relatives who live there, so I am anxious to read her book.  While I know it's fiction, it sounds so exciting.
Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
Posts: 47
Registered: ‎01-30-2008
0 Kudos

oops

oops I meant safe 4th lol
Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
Posts: 47
Registered: ‎01-30-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I guess I had better get to reading more, I have so many books now on my list, but I too liked the line you quoted "...liked his enemies best because he never had to doubt their sincerity"  Not only is it a unique philosophy but very true.  How are you liking the book now?
Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
Posts: 47
Registered: ‎01-30-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Thank you DSaff for your help. As it turned out, when PaulH sent me a reply, I realized that I had left part of the Reply To out, so of course it wouldn't go to the right place. I have since corrected my mistake and hope to be accepted, cause it sounds like a fantastic read. I love your quote: " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner How and where do you get these and then are able to post them to your messages? Yea I'm slow when it comes to computer things lol, Again thank you
Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
Posts: 164
Registered: ‎11-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Currently I am reading

Sarah's Key  for my neighborhood book club.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I am also readingTwilight  because my daughter wants me to.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: I love First Look

Hi Thayer,

 

What do you think would work best nonfiction-wise? I imagine history would be good.

 

P.

 


Thayer wrote:

Paul,

 

So many of us have remarked that First Look encourages us to break out of our normal genres to read, enjoy and recommend titles that we might not otherwise have chosen.

 

This one sounds great and promises to provide many subtexts for us to dissect, er, I mean discuss.  :smileywink:

 

Do you think First Look will ever offer a non-fiction title in future? Just curious.

 

Thanks, I can't wait to see the oxcart rambling down my street. Gives whole new meaning to "see what Brown can do for you."   LOL


 

Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: I love First Look

Paul,

Have you read Robert Kurson's Crashing Through? It reads like a novel but is a very real story. It is a fantastic story! Something like that would be good.

 


PaulH wrote:

Hi Thayer,

 

What do you think would work best nonfiction-wise? I imagine history would be good.

 

P.

 


Thayer wrote:

Paul,

 

So many of us have remarked that First Look encourages us to break out of our normal genres to read, enjoy and recommend titles that we might not otherwise have chosen.

 

This one sounds great and promises to provide many subtexts for us to dissect, er, I mean discuss. :smileywink:

 

Do you think First Look will ever offer a non-fiction title in future? Just curious.

 

Thanks, I can't wait to see the oxcart rambling down my street. Gives whole new meaning to "see what Brown can do for you." LOL


 


 

 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

You are very welcome. :smileyhappy:


Bearsstar wrote:
Thank you DSaff for your help. As it turned out, when PaulH sent me a reply, I realized that I had left part of the Reply To out, so of course it wouldn't go to the right place. I have since corrected my mistake and hope to be accepted, cause it sounds like a fantastic read. I love your quote: " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner How and where do you get these and then are able to post them to your messages? Yea I'm slow when it comes to computer things lol, Again thank you

 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
bookowlie
Posts: 177
Registered: ‎04-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: I love First Look

Actually, there was a First Look non-fiction book last year - The Mighty Queens of Freeville by Amy Dickinson.  It's a memoir.  Some of the members may not have read it since it was the only time FL gave you a choice of 2 books and you could only choose one of them.  The other book was The Believers.

 

 

 


Thayer wrote:

Paul,

 

So many of us have remarked that First Look encourages us to break out of our normal genres to read, enjoy and recommend titles that we might not otherwise have chosen.

 

This one sounds great and promises to provide many subtexts for us to dissect, er, I mean discuss.  :smileywink:

 

Do you think First Look will ever offer a non-fiction title in future? Just curious.

 

Thanks, I can't wait to see the oxcart rambling down my street. Gives whole new meaning to "see what Brown can do for you."   LOL


 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: I love First Look

I haven't read it yet. I did read Kurson's Shadow Divers, which I loved. I'll pick it up. Thanks!

 


vivico1 wrote:

Paul,

Have you read Robert Kurson's Crashing Through? It reads like a novel but is a very real story. It is a fantastic story! Something like that would be good.

 


PaulH wrote:

Hi Thayer,

 

What do you think would work best nonfiction-wise? I imagine history would be good.

 

P.

 


Thayer wrote:

Paul,

 

So many of us have remarked that First Look encourages us to break out of our normal genres to read, enjoy and recommend titles that we might not otherwise have chosen.

 

This one sounds great and promises to provide many subtexts for us to dissect, er, I mean discuss. :smileywink:

 

Do you think First Look will ever offer a non-fiction title in future? Just curious.

 

Thanks, I can't wait to see the oxcart rambling down my street. Gives whole new meaning to "see what Brown can do for you." LOL