Frequent Contributor
GReba
0 Kudos

Reader Thoughts and Review

Hi, everyone!

Just posting a few thoughts on this book.  First of all, let me thank B&N for giving us the opportunity to read and discuss new titles prior to their actual release!  Next, a thank you to author Shandi Mitchell for sharing with us a hint of her personal past as well as a novel that is sure to stay with many readers after the end chapter closes.

I found the story both beautiful and tragic all at the same time.  You can honestly see that the characters love each other, but the ways in which it is expressed become twisted under the influence of others and material things.  The land connects them all as it is their means of survival.  Without it, they perish; with it, they squabble amongst themselves as they all try to claim more than their fair share.  The story is believable.  The characters created from both the heart's joy and utmost despair.  The ending, sad enough to bring tears to your eyes.

Thanks and I look forward to more 'First Look' opportunities in the future!

GMR

http://insatiablereaders.blogspot.com

Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I have a general question for Paul or any other experienced posters.  I often write my comments out in a Word document and then try to paste them into the message body.  So far I can't see to match the font or size.  Are there any tricks for this?  Also, often my message is returned for editing, based on a different font, I guess, and I have to re-insert paragraph breaks.  Help!

Jane M.

Jane M.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS

Posting problems

[ Edited ]

JaneM wrote:

I have a general question for Paul or any other experienced posters.  I often write my comments out in a Word document and then try to paste them into the message body.  So far I can't see to match the font or size.  Are there any tricks for this?  Also, often my message is returned for editing, based on a different font, I guess, and I have to re-insert paragraph breaks.  Help!

Jane M.

Hi Jane!  Welcome to the hoop jumper club! Ha!  Yes, returned posts are not uncommon, and I've posted every which way from Sunday to try and figure out, at times, why this program is the way it is, and to get a post across without having to edit it five million times!

In your preferences, you do have an option for your font, and it's size, when you type on the board...When you type in your Word program, find that font, and a close match to the same size as on the board. 

Do you copy and paste directly from Word, or do you click on the W folder up in the option links, here?   (That will paste it direction from your Word window). 

When it comes back to you, sometimes it wants you to double space in your original text, between the paragraphs, because once it's posted, it shows as one space.  Don't ask me why this happens...haven't got a clue.  Even posts I type on the board, come back to me...either it doesn't like me bolding the text, and italicizing at the same time, I'm not sure, but I have to go back and take some of these function out to get it to post....it drives me nuts....:smileyhappy:  I'm sure you can ask Jon (Admin) in the Help Board, he seems to be the 'local' techy for these problems.  I've never asked for help, I've just played with it, grit my teeth, cross my fingers, and hope it works!  Good luck.

Kathy S.

Message Edited by KathyS on 08-18-2009 02:12 PM
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

JaneM wrote:

Jane M.

Jane,

1. In my word program I click on "select all" then "copy." 2. On the screen where I reply to a post, I click on the icon for Word which is to the left of the smiley icon above the reply, in the toolbar. That copies the reply in the correct font and size.  

JaneM
0 Kudos

Thanks to you SunltCloud and KathyS for the tips!

Jane M.

Jane M.
biljounc63
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Jane M. it must be the mystery reader in me but all I think of when I see your handle is Agatha Christie's "Miss Marple"
Message Edited by biljounc63 on 08-20-2009 07:18 PM
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
JaneM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

biljounc63 wrote:
Jane M. it must be the mystery reader in me but all I think of when I see your handle is Agatha Christie's "Miss Marple"

Glad I can make you smile!

Message Edited by JaneM on 08-20-2009 04:57 PM
Jane M.
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

biljounc63 wrote:

Ah, another Agatha Christy fan.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Wisteria the flautist!

Exactly!  I think we're on the same pages. :smileyhappy:  How interesting....I play the piano, what instrument do you play?

I, too, believe that white, or light, is the symbol of healing and power.  At least a higher power...and I also believe that light is the symbol of learning, education, knowledge...wisdom.   

I think I'd classify this novel as one of the most sensory novels I've ever read....next to V.W., that is! 

I sculpt ceramic bookends for authors, and whatever the design I come up with, I encorporate a small stained glass window in each of them...which is to say, letting light in, expanding our minds through knowledge.  I'd love to make a set for this author, I've already visualized what they will look like.  I'm not always inspired, but this one did get my attention, big time!  But, we'll see.

Kathy S......YES!!!!! We are on the same page. I play the flute and used to play professionally.  I now play native wood flutes (handmade) as well. They are so beautiful and sound so sweet and intune to nature. You would LOVE them....and the sound. 

I think your bookends sound so awesome. I would love to see a picture. Making a set for Shandi would be so nice. 

I agree that this novel is probably one of the most sensory I have read in a long time.  I keep reading over pages and parts and scenes. My book looks like it took a beating...but it is still all good. :smileyhappy:

Talk to you soon...or maybe the next book. 

Wisteria

+++++++++++++++++

Wisteria,

That it is so cool, you play the flute!  Reminded me of Peter and the woolf!  I think I've heard those wood flutes.  In Carlsbad Calif. there is a street art and craft show twice a year, where they block off all the main streets and tributaries.  It's fantastic.  At least they used to be there. I haven't been in a few years.  They had small  instumental groups, I believe from Guatemale, and the flutes/or whatever they called them...were wood of all sizes.  They had them for sale, too, but I never bought one.  I don't know how to play the flute! Or anything that doesn't have black and white keys! Ha!   I just stood there and listened to that deep, rich, melodic sound.

How did you get into these native instruments?

I won't be on the next FL, or any discussion, for a while....(she keeps saying, and here she is) :smileyvery-happy:  It's either do or die with this book I'm writing, got to get back to it....I've played on B&N too long...it's addicting!  It does give my mind some exercise, but it needs a rest, now, and get channeled in another direction. 

I'll be back, though...my play pen is in the Garden Club, I'm usually always there....I feel closer to the earth!  Us potters are always playing in the dirt!  LOL  Come in and say hi!   We talk about everything and anything....we vent, we cry, we laugh, we sing....we write poetry...or thoughts about nature....Becke always has books to share, and authors pop in and out....she's made it a lot of fun for us.

Take care,  and see you soon.....

Kathy S.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I also love Agatha Christie's books. My grandmother got me hooked. Has anyone watched any of the British series were David Suchet plays Hercule Poirot? We just found them in the last few months and are really enjoying them.  :smileywink:

EbonyAngel wrote:

biljounc63 wrote:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

I have bought several of the Hercule Poirot movie sets - I really enjoy them.

DSaff wrote:

I also love Agatha Christie's books. My grandmother got me hooked. Has anyone watched any of the British series were David Suchet plays Hercule Poirot? We just found them in the last few months and are really enjoying them.  :smileywink:

EbonyAngel wrote:

biljounc63 wrote:

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Hi DSaff,
I love Agatha Christie's books which I read when I was a teenager, a long time ago LOL. But I'm re-reading some books of my childhood and teens. I also like Conan Doyle's books. I have never seen the British series but think if it has the author's essence so it is great.
Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

I as well loved reading the Agatha Christie books as a teenager.  Now I'm introducing my teenage son to her books and he is loving them. :smileyhappy:

Anna

biljounc63
0 Kudos

Re: New board look

Looks like the "tweek gods" hit again last night and changed the look and feel of the board. Not too sure if I like it yet. What are your thoughts?

~ Joseph Addison ~

biljounc63
0 Kudos

Jon,

In the old set up we were able to float to the top on the main page of the book book clubs the boards I wanted to follow. In my case I had a few of First Look boards and the mystery board as well. That feature seems to be gone now. Am I missing something? I liked the option to quickly get to the boards that I was interested in with out having to scroll down the etire listing to get where I wanted to go. Just some feedback.

~ Joseph Addison ~

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am still checking it out, but it seems easier in some ways. We'll see as time goes by. LOL  I am, however, wondering where the Laurels and Tagging listings went. Anyone find them yet?

biljounc63 wrote:

Looks like the "tweek gods" hit again last night and changed the look and feel of the board. Not too sure if I like it yet. What are your thoughts?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

biljounc63 wrote:

I don't like it at all.  It took me what seems like forever to figure out how to sign in so I could reply.    Everything looks like it's running together and the colors don't pop.  Too bland.  I also like a bigger font than what the site has now.

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

This is a work in progress. Please be patient. Thanks!
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud

Looks to me like the "reply" and "laurels"  buttons have been moved to their respective opposite . I am assuming that the marketing wizzards felt we become too one-sided and need to be shook up to buy from different areas. Like the supermarket people who switch my cereals with the canned goods isle in hopes I change my eating habits. Or, maybe, the tech staff needed something to do. Who knows; it happens every so often. We get used to it. I'm on my way to see my 97-year-old mother-in-law who went from entertaining herself to being entertained by radio, TV, tape recorder, CD, DVD, Internet. She stopped at Internet but marvels at the many treasures we dig up for her while surfing.

Now excuse me while I try to figure out how to read the messages. My eyes aren't what they used to be and it seems that either the fonts shrunk or paled; either way, I can't buy books if I can't read the "fine print."

Do you hear me Tweak Gods at Barnes & Noble? 

Inspired Scribe
IBIS

The new look is very very hard on the eyes... especially for those of us whose eyesight are not as young as they used to be.

PLEASE please make the letters darker, add more contrast. Even better, make them solid black.

The tinted backgrounds are distracting, and the letters are too light for easy reading.

Things were sooooo much easier before.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."