Contributor
JeniferKAllison

Re: Favorite lines, passages and scenes?

Pg. 230

"I won't wait for you."

In this one line spoken by Maria to Teodor and Teodors action following we get a vivid glimpse deep inside both Maria and Theo: Teodor coaxes the jug from her hand.  He sets it back in the niche and straightens the picture.

To Maria having a jug of wheat wine in the house is not worth jail and she is so furious that he would risk it that she threatens him with her absence.  Teodor believes in freedoms.  Freedoms that have, one by one or many at a time, been taken from him and his family.  They had to leave their home, their country, their farm, their fields, their wheat, their seed, their entire lives have been robbed of them.  And  more specifically, 2 years of his freedom were taken away, two years he can not get back.   This wheat wine is a small way for Theo to hang on to one last little bit of freedom - and therefore his male pride.  And not waiting is Maria's way of hanging on to hers.  

Contributor
JeniferKAllison

I completely agree that this scene just sticks with you.  When Katya is alone, in the water, she can't swim, she fears the snakes, the fire is raging and what does little Katya do?  She raises a ball of dough that she believes is the flesh of Christ. As the dough melted, so did my heart, because I knew that though she would be relieved to be saved, she would be devistated that her Christ body was all gone.  I did not expect it to become such a defining moment in the book though - and it does.  The fire and that fear and the fact that she truly believes that she killed Christ really affect her and so affect the final outcome of the book.  

Quoting Popper19 :

I think I held my breath through the whole fire scene - especially when we were with Katya.  Pg 124

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Popper19 wrote:

I think I held my breath through the whole fire scene - especially when we were with Katya. Pg 124

"Slithering toward her, thin golden streaks, curling and uncurling.  A tightening in her lungs remind her that she can't swim.  Her dress hem touches the water and she instinctively lifts it up.  The snakes reach the water and keep coming.  Katya stumbles backward to her waist, her chest.  The snakes float on the surface, their heads arched up, their tails and bodies propelling them forward.  The water ripples behind them.  Katya stops when the water reaches her neck.  The snakes' heads level with hers, she raises her hand and holds up the doughy ball of Christ.  A white paste oozes between her fingers, drips down her arm, and spills into the water.  Jesus dissolving all around her.  The brigade of snakes part and dart past her ears, their tiny wake lapping against her chin." 

I thought she was going to drown and I truly felt her terror.  It may not be my "favorite" scene from the book, but it's the one that sticks with me the most.  I truly feel like I'm right there with the characters when I'm reading this book.

Yes, this is exactly the one I mentioned.  You did a better job, however!  I didn't have my book with me to provide the actual quote.  Isn't it amazing how certain scenes stay with you long after you have finished with them?  I don't suppose I'll ever forget this one.  

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Inspired Contributor
Wisteria-L

One of my favorite passages is on page 81 after Maria and Teodor have left church and Maria asks to see the field. Then Maria asks to see the house, but Teodor says it isn't ready yet. "She asks again." "They walk the remaining half-mile not speaking."

This is a very tender loving side of Teodor and Maria as a couple. Shandi conveys through the silence and their actions how much love they have for each other. Again, she uses color and light as a metaphor for happiness and  love.

"Maria reaches the door and runs her hand along the frame over the hand-hewn timber. She notices the slashes in the wood, where it has been planed and carved into shape. Each mark, her husbands's mark.

She steps inside a massive room tented in blue sky.On the back wall, the golden sun blazes against the wood. Her backlit shadow, gramed by the door, looks back at her. A rectangle of light floats beside it. She turns and looks out the window's opening. Wild grass speckled with milkweed, clover, and starflowers unfolds from the threshold of the house to the black,rectangular swatch of freshly turned earth. The horizon blushes pink and orange.

Teodor watches Maria burnished in the light. She looks at him her eyes shining.  Her hair has come loose. He brushes it from her eyes. It is the first time he has touched her since his return.

Maria leans against the wall between the door and the window and lifts her skirt. 

Shandi uses non-verbal communication and the descriptive language of color to depict deep love, light, happiness and hope for their future together in the new home.  This passage took my breath away, because you can feel the connectivity of their oneness. 

Wisteria,

"Few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds a way into his heart."

The Shadow of the Wind,
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Inspired Contributor
BooksRPam
0 Kudos

JeniferKAllison wrote:

I believe you mean Sofia here, not Katya.  Sofia is the one with the advertisement under her pillow. Katya wakes as "tato" tucks her in and confessing stealing her mothers blanket (which she did not do, btw) and asks if she must go to jail now, too.  It breaks his heart, it broke mine as well.  

Quoting BooksRPam:

Page 187:  "He folds the page back up and slides it farther under the pillow.  Of all his children, she is the one he worries about the most.  She wants to be someone else."

I don't know who I cried for more, Katya, so disappointed in her life at such an early age, or the futility that Teodor must have felt.

Oops!!  You're right, Jenifer.  Thanks for catching that.  I did mean Sofia.  Next time I won't try to post on the book club WHILE I have a glass of wine.  ha, ha.  ;-)
Pam
Correspondent
ssizemore
0 Kudos

The scene with Katya in the lake is heart wrenching.  She has tried in her own way to save her family, only to feel that she can't.  I imagine this will play into the ending of the book.
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Harvest Meal

My absolute favorite part of the book thus far is the chapter dealing with the harvest meal. (pgs. 61 - 67) Starting with the recipe for the Borshch (which is delicious!) I could feel the excitement building. Maria was going to be sure that everyone had ENOUGH to eat. Then, when I read about Anna cleaning and getting things ready, I knew this was truly a family affair. This was going to be a meal to remember. Everyone pitched in to do what needed to be done, then got cleaned up and sat down together for a wonderful meal. This was a time to be happy, to be thankful, and celebrate together.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Wisteria-L
0 Kudos

Debbie, Thanks for bringing this passage up to shake my memory. I loved this passage also.

You can just feel the little boy in Ivan and imagine his thoughts. It is a dear, sweet moment as looks for familiarity in his father's eyes.

dhaupt wrote:

My favorite passage is also my favorite scene and it's after Teodor returns from prison and the children are presented to him and when Ivan gets to him page 27: "He stands on tiptoe and squints as he peers into the man's eyes. He looks past the bloodshot white, past the blue and gray flecks, and looks directly into the black center. "It's him." he decrees and throws his arms around his father's neck as he climbs onto his lap and babbles about Petro, and the frog they found, and the cat that died, and the ice storm last year, ..."

It made me cry.

Wisteria,

"Few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds a way into his heart."

The Shadow of the Wind,
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Inspired Contributor
Wisteria-L
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

scnole wrote:

One of my favorite passages is from page 201 " Think of us! Forget your pride, forget being right.  Being right sent you to jail.  Being right forced us to leave everything we knew.  Being right brought us here."

Hi Scnole....I agree, this is one place where Maria's strength and power standing up to Theodor is such a dynamic scene. She has had enough! It reminds me of people,(my mom said like me, LOL) who keep a lot bottled up inside in order to keep peace. Some say it is the sign of someone with patience and understanding. I think with Maria, she felt Theodor had been punished enough and was just glad he was home. However, she was pushed too far and in this triad for being right she expodes and exposes her true feelings.  Great scene. I love her strength. 

Message Edited by Wisteria-L on 08-11-2009 06:24 PM
Wisteria,

The Shadow of the Wind,
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

As I am following the schedule up to now my favorite scenes are two:

1 - the moment Ivan is talking to the animals. I thought it was so cute and well developed. The author wrote down in words that child's innocence and at the same time the perception that adults lose with their exaggerated racionalism.

2 - When Teodor comes back home, the paused and fragmented way of recognizing the minimum details of the house, the children, the value everything had and perhaps he had not even realized.

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama

Any mention of the rabbits crying gets me. And how Myron looks into their eyes and hears them say, "You did this to me."

The scene where the family is dancing and singing is just full of joy and color and motion. (And my father used to be able to do that dance that Theo does!)

Maria and Teodore sitting up through the night, having to decide how the grain money down to the penny will be spent.

Theo finding the ad for the dress Katya wants tucked under her pillow. Her waking and admitting to him that she stole the blanket. "He thinks she's had a bad dream and is about to say so when Katya breaks his heart." "Do I have to go to jail now too, Tato?"

Back in spring/summer, the description of the fire makes it sound like a living, evil presence trying to swallow up everything that is good and hopeful.

This book is so beautifully written. The language is so expressive. I can find wonderful passages on every page that make me see this story as if it's happening in front of me. It's very hard to pick just a few. I've read to the end, though, and some of my favorites are in winter.

Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

One of my favorite passages is on p. 84, when the family is preparing to plant the seeds that will ultimately bring them the wheat crop.

"Ask, insists Maria.  Teodor hesitates, but even he is unwilling to take such a risk.  He asks.  He asks for help from the sun, the souls of the ancestors, the spirits in the fields and the woods to help make a good harvest; protect them from lighting, storms, waters, fires and grasshoppers; and bless them with the sacred bread.  The families cross themselves.  Teodor reluctantly makes the sign.  He does this for Maria."

I feel that in this passage Teodor is not just asking for blessings for the crop they are about to plant, but for his family as well.

"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Frequent Contributor
deannafrances
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I posted this idea on another thread but putting it here makes sense because I see some people are doing it already--putting the page no. of the passage they are referring to  so thatif another reader wants to look it up in the book they can read it again themselves.

I truly think that if you are talking about a specific  incident in the book saying

--example:  page 550 would be really helpful.

Message Edited by deannafrances on 08-13-2009 01:31 AM
New User
Claire-Wachtel

You all have posted such wonderful selections!

My favorite passage includes the last two paragraphs on p. 213. I found those moments breathtakingly real and riveting.

Inspired Correspondent
libralady

Another favorite is on p. 187.  "'Tato?'  'Shhh', Teodor soothes her.  Tears spring into her eyes, 'I stole Mama's blanket.'  He thinks she's had a bad dream and is about to say so when Katya breaks his heart.  'Do I have to go to jail now too, Tato?'"

This passage broke my heart too!!  Poor Katya. 

"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Contributor
Paige_K

I have to say the scene when Lesya meets her chick is one of the best.  The fact that she has a kindred soul of sorts makes her happy.  She deserves some happiness after all.  And the interaction between the two always makes me smile.  Both seem absolutely determined to get along with the business of life despite it's hardships. 

Can I adopt Lesya? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Paige_K wrote:

I have to say the scene when Lesya meets her chick is one of the best.  The fact that she has a kindred soul of sorts makes her happy.  She deserves some happiness after all.  And the interaction between the two always makes me smile.  Both seem absolutely determined to get along with the business of life despite it's hardships. 

Can I adopt Lesya? 

Paige, my sentiments, exactly....:smileyhappy:  My heart was always wrapped around her- and her poor, confused little brother... they never stopped making me want more for them.

K.S.

Inspired Contributor
Wisteria-L
0 Kudos

Paige and KathyS,

I so agree with both of you!!Paige...it's a fabulous scene. :smileyhappy:

My heart breaks for little Lesya and when she finds her chick it is a wonderous moment. Shandi must also love this little girl by giving her a companion. a pet chick. As I mentioned before when she named it "happiness", it nearly broke my heart. 

Here is a little child who finds her happiness in a deformed pet that becomes her friend, her baby. I think she treats it as she would like to be treated by her own family. 

I can just picture this sullen, sad and woefully little soul wandering around the farm looking for joy and love. 

Can I adopt her with you? I want to hug her close.  :womansad:

KathyS wrote:

Paige_K wrote:

Can I adopt Lesya? 

Paige, my sentiments, exactly....:smileyhappy:  My heart was always wrapped around her- and her poor, confused little brother... they never stopped making me want more for them.

K.S.

Wisteria,

The Shadow of the Wind,
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Inspired Contributor
JoyZ
0 Kudos

Claire-Wachtel wrote:

You all have posted such wonderful selections!

My favorite passage includes the last two paragraphs on p. 213. I found those moments breathtakingly real and riveting.

I loved that scene too.  The family is together, having so much fun celebrating, then there is that knock on the door.
MYK
Frequent Contributor
MYK
0 Kudos

My favorite, as opposed to what I feel is the most profound, (A question that I hope arises later), is pages 210 thru 213. The only time..this family probably smiles together. I hate the fact that the 180 proof drink..has to be the very thing that convicts them, and yet..in the book it seems, is their only moment of joy. So shortlived. If it had not been for that..what memory would they had ever had of smiling laughing..and dancing. In the final end...I'm glad Teo had the booze.