Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Re: Final Thoughts?

The character who really impacted me was Lesya. My heart just ached for her. She obviously had a great strength about her to function as well as she did with her challenges (both physical and from her parents). I agree with one of the other readers that it broke my heart when she killed her chicken, she must have been feeling such a great amount of rage and pain to do that to something she loved so much--sadly, children learn what we teach them, don't they?

Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

I wondered if part of her motivation behind killing Happiness was knowing (if she did) that it had been recommended that she be left to die when she was born because of her deformity. 

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Contributor
abirkhimer
0 Kudos

The Unbroken Sky is very different from what I usually pick up, considering I normally enjoy a different genre-- sci-fi or fantasy. This one reminded me of character-driven novels that I read in school, more specifically Steinbeck's work with parallels to the farming theme, guilt, hardship and animals. Maria's strength is what showed hope to me. She perseveres, even with the death of her husband, by stealing enough grains to start over. She never gives up in the face of surmountable odds. As for a scene that stuck most to me... Mitchell's writing is so clear and descriptive, almost like watching a movie, that I can't pick just one scene. There's Anna's attempts to befriend a starving wolf, Anna's death scene, the introductory photograph description, the fire consuming the fields, etc.