Inspired Correspondent
nfam

Re: Final Thoughts?

The Unbroken Sky is not the type of book I usually chose to read. However, it was a worthwhile experience. The book was hard to finish, particularly the violence at the end. However, the author had laid the ground work for the tragedy, so I wasn't surprising. 

The book was worthwhile because of the picture it painted of life on the Canadian prairie. It's hard to believe how difficult life was at that time, but people survived and even had fun, as we saw with the children playing in the snow.

The character I will remember is Maria, because of her strength. I hope she and the children found a home and were happy. Teodor and Anna were tragic characters. I will remember them as such -- always separated by a wall.  

Inspired Correspondent
ponkle
0 Kudos

This is not the typical book I read. Having said that I will say I enjoyed this one thoroughly. Normally I don't read (or watch movies) that I call " slice of life" books. Books that are real and portray depressing scenes, I must get too involved and end up depressed. I normally read political, mystery, thrillers etc.

I am glad this was a first look book since it was yes depressing at how hard the times were but at the same time hopeful. Possibly there will be some rebuilding in the future.

I actually think the cover is what I will remember best . My daughter (who is a high school English teacher) and I both read this book and I really enjoyed talking to her as well as everyone on the boards.

Thank you all for a very enjoyable time and thank you Shandi and Barnes and Noble

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

I read all genre so I might have picked this book up to read on my own, if not at the bookstore, then from the library.  The only thing is that I try to mix my reading up.  I now need to read something light and then the next book may be non fiction.   I would get bored with reading the same stuff all the time.    I enjoyed this book for the emotional ride.  It is so true to a real life story, I feel like I got a look at what life in the '30's depression wilderness would be like.   Human nature doesn't change, just the dressing of what we wear through life. 

MG

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Re: Why not try a variety of genre?

For all of you who state that this is not your regular genre of book, I have a question.  Since at every First Look session, many people say the book is different from their normal fair but like it any way - does that not make you think you should broaden your scope of reading.  Now that you have "tasted" an in depth serious reading venture, don't you feel that you could try more books that you think are outside your normal reading material? 

MG

Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

Hi all,

Most of us have finished and had a few days to think about the novel. Please use this thread to share how you look back over it.

Is Unbroken Sky different from what you usually choose to readSome readers on the boards have said they try to choose books that are ultimately uplifting, and have trouble with tragic endings. Do you  feel that way?

A number of readers have also found hope in the novel, despite the worst events in the plot. Do you?

Which character do you think will stay in your memory most vividly?

Is there a scene that sticks with you most clearly?

I would have to say yes, this is a book that I would choose to readI enjoy reading different kinds of books. Ones that don't fit into a box. And this surely does notAs for the ending, I was surprised at Teodor's actions. But I took solace in the fact that Maria and her kids were going to make it. I just knew they would. There are many scenes that stick with meI guess the scene where Happiness is killed. That broke my heart.

Inspired Contributor
Ronrose
0 Kudos

This book is certainly different from the books I usually read. I tend to read detective stories, mysteries, some history and a few science fiction books. I was very impressed by the quality of writing and vividness the author brought to this tragic story. The portrayal of the family fighting and ultimately fleeing from the wild fire will certainly stay with me for some time. Theo's killing of Anna is another unforgettable scene.
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

I like historical fiction, so this book was something I might have chosen to read. History is not always uplifting and there are tragic endings. I book like this reminds us how hard people had to struggle to survive during this time period.

The only hope I see in this story is for Maria and some of the children. She is a survivor.

The character I will remember most is Anna. I still have questions about her.

The fire scene sticks with me most clearly. I could feel the intensity of the flames as the family worked together to control the fire.

Correspondent
mamawli
0 Kudos

My last reply was rejected as unauthorized so I will try once more before I give up on posting.

Even though this book was well written, I found this novel depressing and had to put it down to digest.  I guess, I am quite sensitive about people's lives and the characters seemed so real.

Good writers like Shandi Mitchell enable me to form a personal relationship and to feel deeply about each character.  Each of these characters has had a hard life and a tough burden to share.

Maria is strong, caring and courageous caregiver.

Teodore tried to help his family by working very hard and was not able to reap the benefits of his work.

Lesya and her love for the chicken is extremely heartwarming.

Anna  and her depression and unwillingness to contribute was not a favorite of mine.

The fire and the snakes are very descriptive and revealing therefore that scene will be stuck in my memory. 

Inspired Contributor
abbyg7

Even though I enjoyed this book, it took me a long time to get through it.  I had to keep stopping and put it away for a while.  I felt so much tension reading the book, I just knew horrible things were going to happen.

I think the characters that will stay with me the longest are Maria, I think that she will presevere, and Lesya.

The scenes that stood out the most to me are the fire, the coyotes and the baby, and Lesya killing Happiness.  That just gave me the most hopeless feeling in the book. 

Contributor
Susan5847
0 Kudos

This is not the type of book that I normally read but I am so thankful that I have read it. 
The characters in this book have stayed in my mind long after the last page was turned.  It has also made me think about my families immigrant experience.  Its always easy to talk about the 'good old days' but these people worked from sun up to sun down just to stay alive.  I found the struggle that the family in this book went through to be very tough but I felt that ultimately they would be rewarded for their hard work.  The end of the book was tragic for the family but they were ready to move on and try again - and I found this uplifting.  I loved the fact that despite the family tragedy, they still had grain to plant and were headed off into the world to find a new place to put down roots.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

dhaupt, I am almost done. I have really like this book. I was not sure at first, but the characters drew me in. You can feel the love the characters have for each other. How they all work so hard for simple things like food and clothing, that we tkae for granted.

I think that after reading this book, I have come to appreciate what I have so much more.

I hope Shandi will give us more of these characters in her next book. I want to know how Maira and the children have made out. How Lesya and Petro made out. I like Lesya a lot. In spite of her foot she worked so very hard to better her life for herself and her Mom.

Anna and Stefan, I did not like at all. I think they were self-centered. Especially Stefan, He had big dreams that kept him from doing what he should have been doing for his family. Anna seemed to me to expect things to come to her. She was doing so well for a while. She was heling with the garden and finally doing something to better her life and those of her children then something happened that changed everything.

I was so very sad when her baby died and Lesya killed her children.

You feel their emotions. Shandi is a really good writer. She knows how to tell a story and make us feel like we are really there.

Great job, Shandi. I will be looking for you next books with ancipation.

One to the next book, Hush Hush.

ReadingPatti

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

dhauot, I just notice that I made a mistake. I meant to say that Lesya killed her chicken not her children. I am so sorry for that. I will look more closely and rpreview my messages before I post them.

ReadingPatti

Correspondent
retromom

fordmg wrote:

For all of you who state that this is not your regular genre of book, I have a question.  Since at every First Look session, many people say the book is different from their normal fair but like it any way - does that not make you think you should broaden your scope of reading.  Now that you have "tasted" an in depth serious reading venture, don't you feel that you could try more books that you think are outside your normal reading material? 

MG

Being part of the First Look Books has made me realize I need to venture out more with the types of books I am reading. I am now picking up different types of books and trying them out.

This book has made me realize I don't need a book to have a happy ending. When I first finished the book I was mad and heart-broken over the ending. The more I thought about it the more I realized this needed to be the way it ended. The ending was tragic but meant freedom for Teodor and Anna. I think they would have been tortured souls had they lived. I don't see them as ever having a happy life.

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
kiakar

Re: I like happy or satisfied endings

Don't get me wrong now, I loved this book and I can still consume good books that do not follow my present whims for satisfied endings in most books I have read. .This was a saddened large portion of two families lives and it had alot of sorrow included in this book of  these families.  We saw Anna and Stephan's terrific bad flaws in how they lived their lives. We saw the aspect of their behavior and the effect it had on their children. And the end saddened me to tears but I can imagine Maria picking up her family and journeying to brighter horizons.   She had such strong morals and stood so strong against the strongest winds. I believe she was a sucess.

I believe I loved this book so dearly because it was told with so much compassion and warmth that I can forsee it ending happily.  The author is forewarned that she is headed for complete sucess with a number one best seller. This is awesome as any book could be, that is, in my book this is true.

And that is why I do believe also that we are learning through reading these first look books that we are only sharpening  our horizons by opening ourselves to many sides and shapes of life while reading all books and genres.  And everyone needs to leave their comfort zone while reading and experience all that is there for us to enjoy and this includes reading many genres.

This story was one I consumed in a very short time.  I just couldn't put it down.  And I will always read most books that are recommended now that I have so much experience with good books from Barnes and Noble book clubs no matter the genre.  

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

fordmg wrote:

MG

I'm one of those who said that this not my regular genre of book, even though I'm not exactly sure I have a particular genre.  It's not that I don't read a little of almost everything but when it comes to actual buying, I usually stick with what I think is a safe bet and/or an author I know or have heard something about. 

Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

This book was different from anything I've ever read.  I like books that are well-written so I would probably have picked this book up in the library or bookstore.   I like books that are character-driven, but this story was so much more.  The time period and the setting were described so vividly that this book stayed with me long after I finished it.

Lesya was my favorite character.  I would read an entire book about her character if I could.

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Unbroken Sky was different from what I usually read.  I don't usually like tragic endings and like more contemporary pieces.  That being said, I could not put this book down.  I chose to find hope in the novel despite all the horrible events.  Maybe that's my own projection, I don't know.

Maria's character stayed with me the most.  She forged ahead, no matter what the hardships.  Her manner of dealing with everything life threw at the family was uplifting, if you could call it that.

New User
pandagirl
0 Kudos

This book is definitely one I would have not originally have picked to read. I am very happy with this First Look program where I can sample books I would have not picked out on my own. I don't particularly pick out uplifting books. I like something a little more realistic and not necessarily uplifting.   

I am not sure about finding hope in the novel. I think whenever there is time there is hope, however life can be such a struggle and there was a lot of hopelessness in the novel, a lot of times where it was just too tough to endure.

None of the characters or scenes specifically stick out in my mind. I think about different scenes at different times. I do keep coming back to just the fact that there was a time when life was so hard and everything was about survival. It makes me appreciate what I have and how hard things could have been for my ancestors.

Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

Although I'm glad that I read this book, it was very slow for me to get into.  I'm not sure if it was because it is summer and I am used to picking lighter books during the warmer months or if it was the story itself.  Once I got into it I enjoyed it and felt the compulsive need to finish it, having read half of it in the last two days.  But the first half of the book took forever, I would read one section/chapter division each night and instead of having to make myself turn out the light I decided I was ready to stop.

I was impressed by how real the author made the conditions of the people and the descriptions of their hardships.  There was such a difference between Anna and Maria's families and how they coped.  Maria was so strong and didn't let life get her down, she kept going no matter what because her children needed her and she wanted to survive.  Anna was dealt a difficult hand in life, some by her own choices and some by circumstances, but instead of stepping up to the plate and doing her best she gave up and tried to take the easy way out.  She quit.  Stefan was abusive but even with that I couldn't see the leap to killing her own child.  Teodor's suicide caught me off guard, he seemed like one to always pick himself up and keep going. I know he had horrible memories of prison, but his act was so selfish.  He left everyone who was counting on him to a life of more hardship.

I can't imagine moving to a country where I didn't speak the language and didn't unstand what I was signing to live in such a remote area.  We are so spoiled now with having phones, internet, constant communication and access to resources that these people did without.  When Maria and the children were loading the cart at the end I was wondering where they were going to go and if they would survive.  Because of her will I believe they will.

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

It took me a bit to get through this book.  The beginning part was very slow for me to get into and unfortuately that made it easy for me to put down.  It started because I wanted to stick to the schedule, but if I put one book down I pick up another and then read through until I'm done so I had a lot of starts and stops.  Somewhere around halfway I got hooked and read through to the end.

Teodor's suicide really threw me.  He had gotten through so much and I couldn't believe he would leave his family alone like that.  His neighbor's assumption that both he and Anna were a bit crazy turned out to be true. 

I was really struck by Stefan's thought as he ran away the last time that he was doing the first good thing in his whole life, he creeped me out all along.  I guess the only thing he ever had going for him was when he was in the military and had the uniform and power to have authority.  It sickened me that he taught Petro to be like him, with informing to the police and hitting his sister.  Will Petro be able to unlearn that or is he destined to become just like his father?

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/