Correspondent
nicole21WA
0 Kudos

Re: Good Bye (For Now...)

Thanks, Shandi, for answering our questions.  It's interesting to hear what the author had in mind.

Contributor
Kathy17
0 Kudos

Thank you for the opportunity to read your amazing book, Shandi. I know it will be a success.

Frequent Contributor
learningdragon
0 Kudos

Miss Mitchell,

While I was unable to participate in the discussion much this go-round, I want to tell you how much I did enjoy your book. Your characters were very well developed and the storyline was wonderful. I will purchase as gifts for friends and look forward to your next book. Continued success and best wishes to you!

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS

Bookends for Shandi - MAILED!

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Re: Bookends for Shandi - MAILED!

They're beautiful and they are absolutely perfect for her book.  Since her book will undoubtedly be translated into other languages, etc.  She can use them to hold all the versions of her book.  I'll bet she loved them!!! How thoughtful of you!  What a nice gift!

Suzi

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
KathyS
0 Kudos

blkeyesuzi wrote:

They're beautiful and they are absolutely perfect for her book.  Since her book will undoubtedly be translated into other languages, etc.  She can use them to hold all the versions of her book.  I'll bet she loved them!!! How thoughtful of you!  What a nice gift!

Suzi

Thank you, Suzi.  They were a gift from all of us!  That story, and Shandi, moved me [and I think all of us] so much, I just hoped that I could translate those words into these bookends.  I honestly feel that I did. I got actual wheat, and pressed it into the clay.  I'm sorry it took me so long to get them finished.  It took me more than one try,  a few road blocks along the way...it never fails!  Her paperback came out this week, too!  I've just heard from Paul that they reached her. I sent them to Paul, NY, and he forwarded them on to her.  I do hope she liked them!  I'll let you know when I hear from her! 

The last bookends I made, were for Lauren Groff, The Monsters of Templeton...those took me almost a year to make, also.  One disaster after another...until I got it right!  She wrote to me, and told me how she cried when she saw them.  The emotions that move me, I try to put into these bookends, and my biggest hope is that they give back to these authors what they [the authors], have given to me.  And....then I keep my fingers crossed!

Have a great day!

Kathy

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Suzi

Well, I'd say you certainly accomplished your task!  I just recently wrote her an email telling her how much I enjoyed her book.  I just can't stop thinking about it and I recommend it to lots of people.  One of my favorite, if not the most favorite selection.  I can't wait to hear what her reaction is.  I know she'll be blown away! xo

Thank you, Suzi.  They were a gift from all of us!  That story, and Shandi, moved me [and I think all of us] so much, I just hoped that I could translate those words into these bookends.  I honestly feel that I did. I got actual wheat, and pressed it into the clay.  I'm sorry it took me so long to get them finished.  It took me more than one try,  a few road blocks along the way...it never fails!  Her paperback came out this week, too!  I've just heard from Paul that they reached her. I sent them to Paul, NY, and he forwarded them on to her.  I do hope she liked them!  I'll let you know when I hear from her! 

The last bookends I made, were for Lauren Groff, The Monsters of Templeton...those took me almost a year to make, also.  One disaster after another...until I got it right!  She wrote to me, and told me how she cried when she saw them.  The emotions that move me, I try to put into these bookends, and my biggest hope is that they give back to these authors what they [the authors], have given to me.  And....then I keep my fingers crossed!

Have a great day!

Kathy

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
KathyS

Re: Bookends for Shandi - Received!

[ Edited ]

Hi Suzi, and all!

I finally got in contact with Shandi!  All this time, I thought I had no way to speak to her, since the website for Harper Collins was a dead end, I didn't realize Shandi had her own website...Thanks Suzi, for pointing this out to me! 

Yesterday, I wrote a short message, and heard back from her within the hour!  And, today, I received some wonderful things from her in the mail! 

She signed my book I had sent to her, with the bookends.  I wanted a memory of our time spent together, here.  I'll write out what she said, in a minute.  She also sent me the PB book that was published in England, which has an interview in the back of it.....I haven't read it, as yet, since I just now opened up the package!

And, also, on the back of a black and white picture, she wrote, she has entrusted me with a piece of her heart -  a picture that was not published, and doesn't want to be published;  it was the picture that had inspired her to write this story.  I am overwhelmed!  I looked at this picture, and felt what she felt, in that there is a spark that sends her/me/you to places unknown to most others.  She captured it, and placed it in her book. Truly, beautiful. 

Here is her website. http://www.shandimitchell.com/news-and-events/  incase anyone else would like to contact her.  I know she would love to hear from all of you! 

In a separate note, one of the things she asked of me:  She wanted to post a picture of these bookends on her website.  Of course I'll say yes!  She has written what she's been up to this past year, and traveling around the world with her book sounds amazing!  On her website,  I watched the short film she made of her father.  You must see this...More than touching!

Here is what I want to share with all of you....what she wrote in my book...she'll remember all of us.  I know this:

For Kathy,

Thank you for sharing your artist's heart.  Your beautifully crafted bookends are now in my office --

a touchstone whenever I need to find my way back -

Shandi

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi

Kathy,

Thanks so much for sharing your good news.  I'm happy your bookends made it safe and sound.  There's a little pieace of your artists heart with all of us.  Thanks for letting us be a part of your special moment.

Suzi

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Kathy:

That is so awesome!  Under This Unbroken Sky is still my favorite FL.  You are so lucky to have such artistic talents - and to be able to share them.  I have zilch but certainly appreciate what others have.  Thank you for sharing with us. 

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom