Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters: Fall

BDonnelly wrote:

It seems like it is a train wreck I can see coming and I'm constantly filled with anxiety while reading it. 

I agree!I'm really enjoying the book but we were set up for the tension at the beginning when the author stated that by next spring one person will be gone. With each scene I wonder if this is the one and I spend a lot of thought on what could go wrong.

I think back then it was an actual choice - stay with a man or die from lack of food, shelter, protection. 

Back then I think it was more survival than comfort.  Comfort was just a bonus if it happened to be there.

Inspired Contributor
dragonfly_yayn
0 Kudos

Luckily I found myself getting more into the characters & their story in these chapters.  I felt that I was getting to know them better.  I love the warmth of Theo & Maria's home while the return of Stefan explains alot in Anna's home.  You get to see the strength of Theo, Maria & Myron in many ways, but see the strength & caring of the whole family.  To be able to accomplish what they have goes to prove how determined they are to improve their lives & build their futures.  Unfortuently you see Anna determined to kill the baby she carries and herself, with the corset, front line fire fighting & etc.  Lesya is wise beyond her years and her brother is lucky to have her.  Stefan is not to be trusted.  With his history, actions & take, take, take attitude, I am concerned for Anna & Lesya's safety & lives, and his son's mental & moral health.  It is very unfortunate that Ivan & his friendship suffers though.  Even though Anna is depressed & Lesya carries the hosehold when Stephan was gone, they were better off without him.  Lesya still carries the household responsibilties but with his lifestyle, they will not have enough to last them for supplies & he is a poor example for his son.

I am not sure that I agree that Theo was too proud, but I do think that he is letting his guard down for the first time since going to prison & it is in a part of his life that could endanger himself & his families future.  I don't think that Stephan can be trusted with anything.

rkubie wrote:

Can you describe the Autumn season in this rural Canadian climate?

Theo and Maria's family are determined to survive. In what ways do you see this in each of the characters?

Now that Stefan has returned, we can see how each of these households operate-Can you compare what it's like to live inside each house?

How would you describe Anna and Stefan's family life, as opposed to Anna's household without Stefan?

Maria accuses Theo of being dangerously proud-Do you agree, or not?

Contributor
freelamp
0 Kudos

I found the book to be very realistic in showing the hardships of family stress during the time period.    How many of our ancestors suffered the same tragedies so that their children could have better lives?  The author's note at the end was also interesting.   It makes the hobby of genealogy more difficult and good detective skills are needed.   Thanks for sharing your book with me, Bonnie.   Leona

freelamp
Frequent Contributor
alexia561
0 Kudos

I think Theo does have a problem with pride, but he is a good man and provides for his family. Think Maria is really the heart and strength of the family though. Together, I think they could survive anything.

Was really disappointed that Anna took Stefan back. Don't know that she had a choice, but he is a terrible man and I worry about how he will influence the children. Poor kids!