Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

Photographs from the National Archives of Canada

Hi All,

Shandi was kind enough to share some of the photos she gathered for her research. They really do evoke the time and place of the novel. More to follow. Enjoy!

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Photographs from the National Archives of Canada

These are wonderful. Thanks for sharing them, Shandi, and for posting them, Paul! I can't wait to start the book. Thursday is coming. LOL

PaulH wrote:

Hi All,

Shandi was kind enough to share some of the photos she gathered for her research. They really do evoke the time and place of the novel. More to follow. Enjoy!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
Donna-readerinWI
0 Kudos

Ohhh, I love these!  I can't wait to see more!!
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi Paul, I must be missing something, but how do I access these photos?
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
Rabid_Reader
0 Kudos

It's so nice to have some pictures to look at to compare to what I myself visualize as I read this story. Thank you Shandi for supplying us with these photos, and thank you Paul for posting them!

Rabid_Reader

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Ibis, you should see them as you scroll down the page below the message.

IBIS wrote:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

What do you see axactly? Is the image(s) broken?

IBIS wrote:

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Paul, I logged in on mac at home, and I saw the images.

The mac I used earlier was at work, and I guess it didn't have the right software.

Thank you for the photos... they definitely set the mood for UTUS's discussion next month. 

IBIS

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Donna, I finally got to see them in my Mac at home. They definitely tell us more than a thousand words each.
IBIS

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

These photos remind me of water colors my mother had of the Russian steppe. A hard landscape that requires people to work together, trust each other, share with each other.

I am posting this from my hotel room in Victoria, B.C. Tomorrow I will roam Munro's Books (established by Alice Munro and her husband; they are divorced; I understand that he is still running it.)

And thanks B@N; I just downloaded the new ereader and the free ebooks.

Inspired Contributor
Ronrose
0 Kudos

The first photograph certainly captures the heart of your title, Under This Unbroken Sky. Thank you for sharing.

Ron

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

I just went through a very trying time getting my computer set up correctly for the B&N site.  Check your browser.  I now use Mozilla Firefox for Microsoft and I can access the pictures.  I know Apple computers use Safari and Safari will let you see the pictures.  I'm not that familiar with browsers, but this is a start.  You can call up your internet provider and talk to their tech dept.  That's what I did to get set up properly.  Hope this helps you.
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Wonderful pictures, Paul and Shandi; thanks for sharing.

Joan

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Dear Shandi,

Thanks so much for sharing your photographs.  I did spend some time googling the Ukraine history in the 1930s before I received my copy of the book and realized how much I did not know. I created images in my mind of what the Canadian prairies and their life was like as I read the book and I wasn't too far off from your photos.  By the way, I have about 60 pages left to read.  I know if I pick up the book tonight I will never get to sleep. The book has held my interest from the first page and I hang on every word as I read it.  I want to thank you for writing such an inspiring book!  Have you started thinking about book #2 yet?

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

We'll have a whole thread dedicated to questions for Shandi, literature, so make sure to ask your book #2 question there if Shandi happens to miss it here.

literature wrote:

Dear Shandi,

Thanks so much for sharing your photographs.  I did spend some time googling the Ukraine history in the 1930s before I received my copy of the book and realized how much I did not know. I created images in my mind of what the Canadian prairies and their life was like as I read the book and I wasn't too far off from your photos.  By the way, I have about 60 pages left to read.  I know if I pick up the book tonight I will never get to sleep. The book has held my interest from the first page and I hang on every word as I read it.  I want to thank you for writing such an inspiring book!  Have you started thinking about book #2 yet?

Paul_Hochman

These are terrific! Here's some more:

Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos.  It really enhances my reading experience.  I am about halfway through the book and can't put it down.
Correspondent
PinkPanther
0 Kudos

Wow, these pictures are amazing. For some reason I got goosebumps when I looked at them. Thank you so much for sharing these with us.
"I ought, therefore I can"
-Immanuel Kant
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Victoria, BC

[ Edited ]

Oh!  My parents live in Victoria and they are very frequent customers at Munro's.  There's a really great restaurant called rebar if you get a chance.

Amanda

Sunltcloud wrote:

I am posting this from my hotel room in Victoria, B.C. Tomorrow I will roam Munro's Books

Message Edited by Amanda-Louise on 07-28-2009 03:37 PM
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Hi -- What a pleasant surprise. Seeing the pictures has  added another dimension to the wonderful descriptive phases in the book. I can not imagine living in a stick tepee, as it appears to me in the picture or is it possibly a storage for crops and tools; or a chicken coup? All types of possibilities come to mind.

DSaff wrote:

These are wonderful. Thanks for sharing them, Shandi, and for posting them, Paul! I can't wait to start the book. Thursday is coming. LOL

PaulH wrote:

Hi All,