Contributor
Mariandy
0 Kudos

Re: Photographs from the National Archives of Canada

These are amazing photos - thanks for sharing. Having unfortunately never been to that part of Canada, it really helps me to visualize the setting. Also gives a whole new meaning to the book's title.
Author
Shandi-Mitchell

Here is a bit more information about the photographs posted.

I collected numerous photographs from various archives, many sourcing from the National Archives of Canada.

DUST STORM

The dust storm photo was taken in Saskatchewan in 1935, But, I also have eerily similar photos in Beaver, Oklahoma and various other mid-west states. One photo shows a town being consumed.

In the dust storm photo posted, I believe it is an outbuilding in the distance. But I’m sure there is a house nearby. Note the scale of the telephone or electrical poles to get a sense of the immensity of the cloud.

MAN ALONE

In the photo of a man standing on a road/ field by himself: those are dust drifts against the fence posts.

“STICK TEEPEE”

The image of the family in front of the “stick teepee” was taken in Alberta is 1930. It was their shelter while they built their house. There is another image posted of a woman and two children in front of a log house. That is the same family in front of their new home. 

POSTER

The Poster’s tagline reads:

A HOME AND SUCCESS IN CANADA

WHY not seek a new home on the land in Canada? In the World’s Granary—the best of land is cheap and a man may reasonably hope to work his way to independence.

I love the part “ a man may reasonably hope to work his way to independence.”

And there you have the dream.

Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

This is really very interesting....glad you posted this...it gives a little more background about how she came up with the idea. I love it but it is a little sad. 

Sunltcloud wrote:

If you watch Shandi Mitchell on YouTube you will see some of the same pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyvV6eBkhq0

gringorn wrote:

I really am so frustrated here.  Have been trying for days now to see these pics.  What am I doing wrong?  It must be something simple, but I can't find them.  Thanks

Frequent Contributor
bookworm_gp
0 Kudos

Shandi makes it very easy to visualize the people and setting. Her vivid prose paints wonderful pictures. But seeing these photos is a wonderful addition to reading the book. Thank you.
http://write-juncture.blogspot.com/
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Gail_Pruszkowski
http://www.facebook.com/gail.pruszkowski
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bookworm_gp

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

Amazing, simply amazing!  Thank you so much Shandi and Paul for sharing!  The chicken picture touched my heart as Lesya has continued to be one of my favorite characters.

Aimee

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Contributor
sailorreader
0 Kudos

I found these pictures very interesting.

Surprisingly, I had not considered the Canadian frontier.  This book and these pictures have opened a whole new way of thinking about "North America" and it's founders.

The WEST is something we learn in school, from trips or TV.  It stands to reason that Canada would have a frontier,  yet thinking about Canada in this same vain is eye opening. 

The founders of the Canadian Frontier in the 1930's appeared to be forging a frontier that was already on it's way to being settled in the US.

These pictures add a lot to the story line.  Thanks for sharing them.

sailorreader
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Wow! Great pics! I can't help but notice the similarities to some old family photos of my great grandparents in turn of the century to depression era southwestern Oklahoma (except for the clothes of course). Whenever I go through these photos I can't help but appreciate how much my ancestors went through so I might have a better life. Whenever we would go back to OK my dad never failed to point out the shelter belts to my brother and I (to prevent those great dust storms)--also, another important reason to rotate those crops.

Frequent Contributor
dj5775
0 Kudos

Beautiful photo's, thanks for being able to share them. It really makes the story easier to picture.
ct
Frequent Contributor
dj5775
0 Kudos

Beautiful photo's, thanks for being able to share them. It really makes the story easier to picture.
ct