Author
Shandi-Mitchell
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?

KathyS wrote:

I do dream of finishing my novel, or a book of poems (I certainly have enough to stuff into one!), but the novel I'm writing incorporates some of my poems....it's a gigantic mental project, all voices.  But, if it ever gets finished, I really doubt that I will have it published (for the public, anyway)....although I've been told to do so...it scares the living crap out of me...I'm too much of a private person....of course, you'd never know it by my actions on these boards.  

Creating is the reward isn't it? There is a wonderful, small film called "Elling" (Norway 2001)  And there is a character who writes poems and leaves them anonymously throughout town. Tucks one in a box at the grocery store, another on a windshield, at a bus stop, inside a book at the library (I might be making these up now)...but it is the purest art. No? I cried at its beauty.
Your art will find people. It found us yesterday on the boards. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Shandi-Mitchell wrote:

KathyS wrote:

I do dream of finishing my novel, or a book of poems (I certainly have enough to stuff into one!), but the novel I'm writing incorporates some of my poems....it's a gigantic mental project, all voices.  But, if it ever gets finished, I really doubt that I will have it published (for the public, anyway)....although I've been told to do so...it scares the living crap out of me...I'm too much of a private person....of course, you'd never know it by my actions on these boards.  

Creating is the reward isn't it? There is a wonderful, small film called "Elling" (Norway 2001)  And there is a character who writes poems and leaves them anonymously throughout town. Tucks one in a box at the grocery store, another on a windshield, at a bus stop, inside a book at the library (I might be making these up now)...but it is the purest art. No? I cried at its beauty.
Your art will find people. It found us yesterday on the boards. 

Yes, creating is the reward.  And for me, also, I find love in giving it away.  I guess you could say I go around this community, here on B&N, and give poems away all the time, just never to a writer before.

It is rewarding, too, when thoughts come back to me.  I think that's the untimate dilemma for some artists....you care about what you produce, and you truly want others to feel that same joy you have in your work.  But you don't want to be smothered by it. 

I have mentioned, on this board, that I create ceramic bookends for authors (as well as other people)- the authors who have inspired me the most.  I've already visualized what yours would look like.  You said you had a problem placing your book along side of other writers.... I would like to send you what I create, as a gift, and then you could place your book in a place of prominence on that shelf.  Your story truly does stand alone.

K.

Message Edited by KathyS on 08-27-2009 05:28 PM
Inspired Contributor
Ronrose
0 Kudos

This is high praise from an extraordinary writer. Many times we read books that leave no sense of wonder, nor touch us deeply as your book has done. Thank you for such an exhilarating journey through this First Look experience.

Ron

Author
Shandi-Mitchell
0 Kudos

Dear Kathy,

I would be honoured to be the caretaker of a work of your art. My books would always be held in the embrace of the First Look Club. What could be more perfect?

But I feel terribly guilty accepting, so there is no obligation if it remains a gift of thought, it will still be real to me. 

I have friends who practice random gifts of art. They leave a handmade card, a painting, a poem, a felt animal, a perfect round stone...on the step or in the mailbox of friends.

I highly recommend all of you to try it some day. You will walk on air for days if one finds its way to you. And if you are the giver, perhaps you will be sitting sipping wine with the recipient as they tell you the day they found their mysterious gift and you will see their eyes light... 

Do know, that all of you have already given me your gift.  Hundreds of them are in these posts.

sm 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Shandi-Mitchell wrote:

Dear Kathy,

I would be honoured to be the caretaker of a work of your art. My books would always be held in the embrace of the First Look Club. What could be more perfect?

But I feel terribly guilty accepting, so there is no obligation if it remains a gift of thought, it will still be real to me. 

I have friends who practice random gifts of art. They leave a handmade card, a painting, a poem, a felt animal, a perfect round stone...on the step or in the mailbox of friends.

I highly recommend all of you to try it some day. You will walk on air for days if one finds its way to you. And if you are the giver, perhaps you will be sitting sipping wine with the recipient as they tell you the day they found their mysterious gift and you will see their eyes light... 

Do know, that all of you have already given me your gift.  Hundreds of them are in these posts.

sm 

I think your friends sound wonderful!  Gifts like that are so unconditional...they do mean a lot. We don't do it often enough.  I keep getting this image of a message in a bottle.  Ha! When I was a teacher, every once in a while I'd find something precious on my desk....it ALWAYS warmed my heart and made me smile.   Now I just leave clay balls around on peoples art work!

Unfortunately I have to tell you about these bookends, because I wouldn't want to be sending them clear across the world, and have them sitting on your front step for a week while the snow buried them, and you wouldn't find them until spring! :smileyhappy:  They ARE meant to be a remembrance from everyone here.  I want you to remember what they represent.  I didn't really express myself very well.  A simple thanks to you for what you've given all of us. 

I am sincere in making these.  If you need references, I can give them to you. (in private)  Once I get an idea in my head....well, you know how it is...  But, you do have to realize that pottery, in its creation, is a fickle art.  It may go well, or it may turn to s****. And I may have to make them more than once...  Giving my trust up to the kiln gods, can make my heart stop!  It may take me a few months, or it may take a year.  Again, depends on how the design goes together, glazing process...firings....and a dozen other potential problems....but, I also think positive...pray to the gods, and keep my fingers crossed!  They'll be started tomorrow.  I'll contact you off the board.

K.

Message Edited by KathyS on 08-27-2009 08:37 PM