Reply
Author
Shandi-Mitchell
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎07-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?


literature wrote:

Hi Shandi,

One last question (I think).  I spoke in some threads about how Anna's baby died.  I feel that Anna purposely suffocated the baby when she was feeding her.  You mention that Maria heard a baby's cries and there's the scene with the coyotes surrounding the baby when she is wrapped up in the rabbit skin on the snow.  (I'm trying to be very delicate here.)  Were you purposely vague with these two scenes?  Is the way the baby died left up to the reader's interpretation?   Could Maria have felt the silent cries from the baby's soul when the coyotes were surrounding her?


I think the answer could be yes to all your questions. I also think it was a very cold night, even before the coyotes arrived.

 

Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?

Shandi wrote:

 

literature wrote:

Hi Shandi,

One last question (I think).  I spoke in some threads about how Anna's baby died.  I feel that Anna purposely suffocated the baby when she was feeding her.  You mention that Maria heard a baby's cries and there's the scene with the coyotes surrounding the baby when she is wrapped up in the rabbit skin on the snow.  (I'm trying to be very delicate here.)  Were you purposely vague with these two scenes?  Is the way the baby died left up to the reader's interpretation?   Could Maria have felt the silent cries from the baby's soul when the coyotes were surrounding her?


I think the answer could be yes to all your questions. I also think it was a very cold night, even before the coyotes arrived.
_____________________________________________________________
 

Shandi,

 

I just love your sense of humor.  This answer made me laugh because I knew you were going to answer my questions with the same vagueness as you wrote these scenes in the book but I had to ask anyway.  But now you threw in another thought which I hadn't picked up on.  "I also think it was a very cold night, even before the coyotes arrived.".  I hadn't thought that scenario.  I like my initial thought and that's the one I am going to go with..."Anna pulls the fur skin over the top of its head.  The baby squirms and mews.  "Shh," Anna coos. "I'll take you home." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?


literature wrote:

Shandi wrote:

 

literature wrote:

Hi Shandi,

One last question (I think).  I spoke in some threads about how Anna's baby died.  I feel that Anna purposely suffocated the baby when she was feeding her.  You mention that Maria heard a baby's cries and there's the scene with the coyotes surrounding the baby when she is wrapped up in the rabbit skin on the snow.  (I'm trying to be very delicate here.)  Were you purposely vague with these two scenes?  Is the way the baby died left up to the reader's interpretation?   Could Maria have felt the silent cries from the baby's soul when the coyotes were surrounding her?


I think the answer could be yes to all your questions. I also think it was a very cold night, even before the coyotes arrived.
_____________________________________________________________

Shandi,

 

I just love your sense of humor.  This answer made me laugh because I knew you were going to answer my questions with the same vagueness as you wrote these scenes in the book but I had to ask anyway.  But now you threw in another thought which I hadn't picked up on.  "I also think it was a very cold night, even before the coyotes arrived.".  I hadn't thought that scenario.  I like my initial thought and that's the one I am going to go with..."Anna pulls the fur skin over the top of its head.  The baby squirms and mews.  "Shh," Anna coos. "I'll take you home." 

Literature,

 

I's interesting how we both interpreted Shandi's remark, you finding it "humorous" and vague.  I found it direct, and incredibly sad.  How ever the baby dies, I wouldn't want it to suffer.  If it were an "extremely cold night"....the baby was no doubt dead before the coyotes found it.  Extreme cold, can simply put someone to sleep.   There is a humanity, here, not a vagueness.  It's up to us, as readers, to interpret these things....

Author
Shandi-Mitchell
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎07-08-2009

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?

Dear literature,

You are right to laugh.

Dear Kathy

You are right to find it incredibly sad.

 I understand what each of you are saying.

 

I must say you are an extraordinary group of readers. I am so thankful to all of you for everything you have given.  This has been a rare privilege to stand back and watch my work being held and examined: the pieces taken apart, then carefully placed back together, a step back, a look from the other side, trying to see beyond the surface, holding it under the light then sliding it back into the shadows, unsure, certain, but everyone considering it with the depths of their hearts. Wonderful.  

sm 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?


Shandi-Mitchell wrote:

Dear literature,

You are right to laugh.

Dear Kathy

You are right to find it incredibly sad.

 I understand what each of you are saying.

 

I must say you are an extraordinary group of readers. I am so thankful to all of you for everything you have given.  This has been a rare privilege to stand back and watch my work being held and examined: the pieces taken apart, then carefully placed back together, a step back, a look from the other side, trying to see beyond the surface, holding it under the light then sliding it back into the shadows, unsure, certain, but everyone considering it with the depths of their hearts. Wonderful.  

sm 

 


 

Shandi, you're more than gracious.  I apologize to both you, and to Literature.  I shouldn't have entered your conversation, to give it my points of view.  I was tactless to try and interpret your real words.

 

K.S.

Author
Shandi-Mitchell
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎07-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?


Shandi, you're more than gracious.  I apologize to both you, and to Literature.  I shouldn't have entered your conversation, to give it my points of view.  I was tactless to try and interpret your real words.

 

K.S.


Dearest Kathy,
No need to apologize for your passion and depth of feeling. Of course, you should have entered the conversation. Your voice is wanted and essential.  Your comments, as always, are a burst of illuminating light.
sm 

 

Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?

Shandi,

 

Thanks for the kind words!

 

I agree that you've gathered a group of exceptional readers here this month, but certainly the quality of the conversation here has to be attributed to how challenging and moving Unbroken Sky is, and also to your participation here, which you've treated as an art, with such lovely attention and intelligence.  

 

(We will put our "real" thanks thread toward the end of the week. This is just a little pre-thanks-thanks.)

 

Rachel

Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?

KathyS wrote:

I's interesting how we both interpreted Shandi's remark, you finding it "humorous" and vague.  I found it direct, and incredibly sad.  How ever the baby dies, I wouldn't want it to suffer.  If it were an "extremely cold night"....the baby was no doubt dead before the coyotes found it.  Extreme cold, can simply put someone to sleep.   There is a humanity, here, not a vagueness.  It's up to us, as readers, to interpret these things

_________________________________________________________________________________

 

Kathy,

 

I believe you misinterpreted what I wrote.

 

By "humorous and vague" I meant Shandi's responses to some of our emails and not to the contents of the book.  Not everything is spelled out by the author and, yes, it is up to the reader to interpret these things.  As far as the baby's death is concerned, it was direct and incredibly sad.

 

 

 

Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?


Shandi-Mitchell wrote:

Dear literature,

You are right to laugh.

Dear Kathy

You are right to find it incredibly sad.

 I understand what each of you are saying.

 

I must say you are an extraordinary group of readers. I am so thankful to all of you for everything you have given.  This has been a rare privilege to stand back and watch my work being held and examined: the pieces taken apart, then carefully placed back together, a step back, a look from the other side, trying to see beyond the surface, holding it under the light then sliding it back into the shadows, unsure, certain, but everyone considering it with the depths of their hearts. Wonderful.  

sm 

 


 

Shandi, you're more than gracious.  I apologize to both you, and to Literature.  I shouldn't have entered your conversation, to give it my points of view.  I was tactless to try and interpret your real words.

 

K.S.

 _____________________________________________________________________________

 

Kathy, please also accept my apology for coming back at you before I read all the postings.  It's okay with me to enter another's conversation with your comments.  That's what makes the group so incredible.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?

[ Edited ]

Shandi,

This has been a great book. I really appreciate the time you have spent with us. I like the phrasing and the mood you have set in the book. I felt I was viewing events through the character's eyes. I am not sure I would have picked up the book. It is the type of book I would have waited for a recommendation from a friend. But this has been a great opportunity for me to read your work. The book seemed to slow down for me in the Fall section, but knowing the hardship people faced during Winter, I knew it was coming. The last part of the book really seems to consume a person. It leaves quite a impression on me what the story was. Excellent book. 

 

My question is what will you be doing for the next few months as the book as the book comes out on September 8th? 

 

Thanks again for your time and for a great book.

pen21

Message Edited by pen21 on 08-25-2009 01:00 PM
Author
Shandi-Mitchell
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎07-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?



 Thanks for the pre-thanks, Rachel. 
Rachel...I can't believe it has taken me this long to put together your name with rkubie, the mysterious omniscient moderator.
sm
 
And to first lookers 
Today I'm working on my website, which should be up by Sept 05 just prior to the book's launch. Hopefully by next week you can come visit at www.shandimitchell.com.  So this week doesn't have to be a farewell.
 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?


Shandi-Mitchell wrote:


 Thanks for the pre-thanks, Rachel. 
Rachel...I can't believe it has taken me this long to put together your name with rkubie, the mysterious omniscient moderator.
sm
And to first lookers 
Today I'm working on my website, which should be up by Sept 05 just prior to the book's launch. Hopefully by next week you can come visit at www.shandimitchell.com.  So this week doesn't have to be a farewell.

YEA!  Shandi... A website!  I hate farewells!  I feel like we should all be celebrating with a cast party!....The participants, here, and the characters, too!  I'd love to make a toast to you, and this fabulous new novel....and  to your fabulous new adventures ahead!  Did I forget to say, fabulous!?   Until we meet again!

 

K.S.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?


Shandi-Mitchell wrote:

Shandi, you're more than gracious.  I apologize to both you, and to Literature.  I shouldn't have entered your conversation, to give it my points of view.  I was tactless to try and interpret your real words.

 

K.S.


Dearest Kathy,
No need to apologize for your passion and depth of feeling. Of course, you should have entered the conversation. Your voice is wanted and essential.  Your comments, as always, are a burst of illuminating light.
sm 

Thank you for your kindness, and understanding, Shandi.  Though, my passion can sometimes be my nemesis.  I've been known to fight windmills.  :smileyhappy:

Author
Shandi-Mitchell
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎07-08-2009

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?


pen21 wrote:

Shandi,

This has been a great book. I really appreciate the time you have spent with us. I like the phrasing and the mood you have set in the book. I felt I was viewing events through the character's eyes. I am not sure I would have picked up the book. It is the type of book I would have waited for a recommendation from a friend. But this has been a great opportunity for me to read your work. The book seemed to slow down for me in the Fall section, but knowing the hardship people faced during Winter, I knew it was coming. The last part of the book really seems to consume a person. It leaves quite a impression on me what the story was. Excellent book. 

 

My question is what will you be doing for the next few months as the book as the book comes out on September 8th? 

 

Thanks again for your time and for a great book.

pen21

Message Edited by pen21 on 08-25-2009 01:00 PM

Hi Pen21
I'm so glad you and many others in the group took a chance on the book and remained open to a story and genre that you might not usually read. And then to discover that even those who found the subject matter difficult, continued to read, and many then felt the story and even found its light--I can't think of anything more rewarding as the author. 
I really don't know what to expect over the next few months. I might go and hide for a week, take a little vacation, before the launch. It feels as though it may be difficult to find private time in the next couple of months. I'm looking forward to the launch party here in Halifax on Sept. 3, so many friends are coming to help me celebrate. And then I guess I'll wait for reviews and see if people buy it. But I have to not get caught up in all of that, it's not good for a writer if you want to keep writing.
 It seems as though I will be doing a few festivals. Boston in September. I've been confirmed at the International Writers Festival in Toronto and then onto Vancouver in October. Every event will be an adventure. I'm going to try to set aside my nerves and just enjoy it. I'll be meeting writers and readers celebrating the written word.
This is my first book and there will never be another first. Every experience I have with its launch will be a first. So live it well, I say. My husband says, Enjoy the parade, it will end. I know in six months or a year, I will be sitting alone again at the computer but until then...I'm going to play.
 

 

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?

FABULOUS! (Kathy, note that I am invading the conversation!!!)

Until the new website comes to life we can always go to the Harper Collins website. It gives all sorts of information. I have withdrawal pains after every discussion and need to make sure the book hasn't gotten lost among the millions on the superhighway of information.

 

Shandi Mitchell from HarperCollins Publishers


KathyS wrote:


Shandi-Mitchell wrote:


 Thanks for the pre-thanks, Rachel. 
Rachel...I can't believe it has taken me this long to put together your name with rkubie, the mysterious omniscient moderator.
sm
And to first lookers 
Today I'm working on my website, which should be up by Sept 05 just prior to the book's launch. Hopefully by next week you can come visit at www.shandimitchell.com.  So this week doesn't have to be a farewell.

YEA!  Shandi... A website!  I hate farewells!  I feel like we should all be celebrating with a cast party!....The participants, here, and the characters, too!  I'd love to make a toast to you, and this fabulous new novel....and  to your fabulous new adventures ahead!  Did I forget to say, fabulous!?   Until we meet again!

 

K.S.


 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?

[ Edited ]

:smileyvery-happy:  It's all cool!  Thanks for posting this site.  I do get sent news notices from HarperCollins on my favorite authors I want to keep track of.  It's a nice option on their website. 

 

I also get a review page from the L.A. Times, before the review hits the streets.  This year I was on a discussion with an author I knew, and I saw a review of her new book....the review was terrific.  I sent it to her, and she was so excited, she about fell out of her chair!  She lives in Mass. We communicate by email, but she came across...LOUD and clear!

 

She got it before her agent, her publicist, and her son (who lives in LA) She said her publicist told her this reviewer was the best, and if you got a good review by this gal, then you know your book has made it!  I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled for this one!


Sunltcloud wrote:

FABULOUS! (Kathy, note that I am invading the conversation!!!)

Until the new website comes to life we can always go to the Harper Collins website. It gives all sorts of information. I have withdrawal pains after every discussion and need to make sure the book hasn't gotten lost among the millions on the superhighway of information.

 

Shandi Mitchell from HarperCollins Publishers


KathyS wrote:


Shandi-Mitchell wrote:


 Thanks for the pre-thanks, Rachel. 
Rachel...I can't believe it has taken me this long to put together your name with rkubie, the mysterious omniscient moderator.
sm
And to first lookers 
Today I'm working on my website, which should be up by Sept 05 just prior to the book's launch. Hopefully by next week you can come visit at www.shandimitchell.com.  So this week doesn't have to be a farewell.

YEA!  Shandi... A website!  I hate farewells!  I feel like we should all be celebrating with a cast party!....The participants, here, and the characters, too!  I'd love to make a toast to you, and this fabulous new novel....and  to your fabulous new adventures ahead!  Did I forget to say, fabulous!?   Until we meet again!

 

K.S.


 


 

Message Edited by KathyS on 08-25-2009 05:51 PM
Wordsmith
Tarri
Posts: 457
Registered: ‎02-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?

Are you going to be on Facebook?  It's very interesting to read the reviews and schedule of where the author is signing, reading, and speaking. 
Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
Posts: 174
Registered: ‎09-19-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?

Hi Shandi,

 

I don't have a question. I just want to thank you for the privilege of reading Under This Unbroken Sky. In all honesty, I'm having a real  love/hate reaction to the book. It has been a long time since I have had such a strong, emotional reaction to a book. I do truly love the first half of the book. The characters are so fully developed that it was easy to feel connected to them and identify with them. They still haunt me, especially Lesya and Ivan. They were my favorites. I had a lot of difficulty with the last section though, and still haven't decided how I feel about it. I realize that I would never have had such a reaction to the book if it were not so skillfully and eloquently written. You do have a way with words. You have succeeded in writing a very excellent book. Congratulations! I look forward to reading your next book.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Author
Shandi-Mitchell
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎07-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?


Tarri wrote:
Are you going to be on Facebook?  It's very interesting to read the reviews and schedule of where the author is signing, reading, and speaking. 
Hi Tarri,
I don't think I will be on Facebook. I can't quite master it. I lurk around reading friend's posts and appreciate their wit, but I feel like the awkward girl standing in the corner watching the party. 
But I will have my website and I'll post my whereabouts, news, and reviews there. The website should be launched by Sept. 01. 
sm 

 

Author
Shandi-Mitchell
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎07-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Shandi Mitchell?

[ Edited ]

PiperMurphy wrote:

Hi Shandi,

 

I don't have a question. I just want to thank you for the privilege of reading Under This Unbroken Sky. In all honesty, I'm having a real  love/hate reaction to the book. It has been a long time since I have had such a strong, emotional reaction to a book. I do truly love the first half of the book. The characters are so fully developed that it was easy to feel connected to them and identify with them. They still haunt me, especially Lesya and Ivan. They were my favorites. I had a lot of difficulty with the last section though, and still haven't decided how I feel about it. I realize that I would never have had such a reaction to the book if it were not so skillfully and eloquently written. You do have a way with words. You have succeeded in writing a very excellent book. Congratulations! I look forward to reading your next book.


  

 You're most welcome Piper Murphy. Thank you for reading it. All I ever hoped was for readers to feel something. It's an unsettling story; you want to love, forgive, condemn and save and all you can do is witness. I'm pleased that the story seems to provoke the heart. 

 

There are a number of you on this thread that didn't ask a question but offered your congratulations. Thank you all for giving your time and entering this world; loving and hating the characters; and living their stories with them.  No matter what happens next or where the book travels, I will not forget this First Look group. You were the first to breathe life into my words. You gave me the greatest gift. 

 

I too am looking forward to the next book, too bad I have to write it first. 

 

sm 

 

Message Edited by Shandi-Mitchell on 08-26-2009 09:31 AM