Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

Re: Unbroken Sky

Yes,  Freedom.  The sky is infinite, limitless, unbroken.

What a wonderful novel!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

The Smoky Mountains are beautiful!  What an interesting thought about not having an anchor.  I really liked your metaphor! 

Sheltiemama wrote: 

I can't imagine looking up and seeing unbroken sky as far as you can see. It must make the world feel huge, but at the same time, I think I'd feel like I didn't have an anchor.

And in another sense, some of the characters haven't been "broken," but some of them have. Anna is broken mentally, and Lesya is "broken" in her mother's eyes because of her foot.

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Correspondent
Stewies_Mom
0 Kudos

I think the title has a multilayered meaning.  The family eeking out an existence on the land "under this unbroken sky" is reflected in the title and the fact that Teodor is no longer in prison, but is now living free "under this unbroken sky"  is also reflected in the title.

Frequent Contributor
deannafrances

I am unsure where to post this as this is an idea to make the discussions a bit easier.

I was involved in the discussion about the Communion Host and I wanted to reread the section in the book  but it took me  2 days of thumbing through the book and the paragraph where it was kept eluding me.

So I was wondering if in further discussions (since everyone has the same edition of book)

if someone wants to discuss a topic they include the page --so if the other members wanted to read that passage they could find it more easily.

For example: i want to discuss Katya and her relationship with the church  see page 71, paragraph 2. 

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

After reading this book, I think the title has to with the the nature and time theme.  UTUS is about the unbrokenness of the wildness and the spirit of both families.  You can't unbreak the sky nor the spirit of someone even through rough, difficult times.  You continue to carry on through life just as nature rebuilds itself after a rough storm so do we always as people.  I think that this is beautifully written in UTUS!:smileywink:

Anna

Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass

The unbroken sky is a perfect image that is fitting for this story and all stories of people just trying to survive.

Think about it, since before life started on this planet (either by evolution or by God depending on your beliefs), the sky has been there overseeing all that goes on below it. Living things have been born, gotten sick, and died. Wars have broken out destroying everything in its wake, changing cultures, changing history, changing even the physical land itself and yet through all of it the sky is unchanged.

Sure the Ozone layer is growing thin but the sky remains unbroken. It's the one constant of life... of being. This can be both a comfort and an annoyance pouring more salt in the wound but it will not change. The vastness and the power of the sky is beyond all human intellect. We can harness parts of the sky's power (sunlight, wind, rain) but we cannot control it, we cannot break it to tame it and make it our own. The sky is a being in and of itself that can either save and protect us, or it can just as easily wipe us all out without ever exhausting much effort. It's truly amazing and fascinating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Contributor
edelweissAM
0 Kudos

The sky is endless,forever, free and untamed. It can be the closest we get to our dreams. The sky holds the answers and it can be gentle or rough but it  goes on, even if we do not. The sky depends on no one and asks no ones help.
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Deltadawn wrote:

CathyB wrote:
I too think it is a metaphor - the unbroken spirit of a human being to survive against all odds - to love, laugh and live life to its fullest
I love that!

I love this too.  The sky is unlimitled and so is the human spirit.

Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

skiibunny1213 wrote:
I think the sky is the only thing that isn't broken in this novel. The land is broken when it is tilled and when the fire comes. Teodor has been broken by prison, and then again by his sister's betrayal. Anna was broken by her husband and her bad experiences during childbirth. Maria is broken by her lost connection with Teodor - she is lonely even when he returns because she knows he is not the same man she fell in love with long ago. Lesya's disability has not broken her, but the loveless family atmosphere that Stefan and Anna have created is slowly breaking both her and Petro. Teodor and Maria's children seem better adjusted than Lesya and Petro, but each in their own way are coping with the hardships of their lives and the loss of their childhood. Finally, both families are broken by the dispute between Stefan and Teodor and the events that come after. On page 303 Teodor looks up to see he is "under this unbroken sky" and realizes how broken their lives really are.

I agree but would like to add something.  When Teodor looks up into the sky, he realizes that's what broke him in prison. Not being able to see the sky. 

Frequent Contributor
Lildove3
0 Kudos

Obviously the sky is the only thing that is not broken, but many of the charcaters have endured way too

much pain, especially the children, hopefully there will be light at the end of this horrible tunnel.

Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Re: Unbroken Sky - Spoiler Alert!

Sunltcloud wrote:

Spoiler Alert!

I think the question about the Unbroken Sky is asked a little early in the reading. I had to read almost to the end of the novel before I found definitive (to me at least) references to the Unbroken Sky. As has been mentioned above by skiibunny1213 the sky reveals its importance on page 303.

What shaped Teodor's future is laid out in front of us in one very short sentence when he recalls his prison sentence.

"They took away the sky." 

What gives him hope and energy follows in the passage after that. "He feels he can expand as far and wide as he can see."

The unbroken sky takes on different meanings for different observers. The literal is the expanse. the metaphorical is the wholeness. To Teodor the sky pulses freedom.

"He exhales to the sky. Above him, northern lights flicker. Ivan says it's star people. Katya says it's God. Teodor doesn't know what it is. A reason to look up. He breathes in deep and the answer comes. It is freedom."

IT IS FREEDOM!

This says it all,   IT IS FREEDOM      Yvonne
Correspondent
floreader

I think the sky had different meanings in the story.  On one level, the sky meant freedom in Teodore's eyes.  On another level, the sky went on forever amd was unyielding.  All of the characters' lives were affected what the sky brought.  The sky could bring sunshine or rain, which would make the crops thrive.  The sky could also bring horrible weather, which would cause further hardships for the family.

Wordsmith
marciliogq

I see the sky as a kind of spectator, patiently and unviolated accompanying every gestures and reactions beneath it. All of the story, tragedies and happinesses happen under this sky as a reflection of the unknown path of the universe things.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

marciliogq wrote:
I see the sky as a kind of spectator, patiently and unviolated accompanying every gestures and reactions beneath it. All of the story, tragedies and happinesses happen under this sky as a reflection of the unknown path of the universe things.

I like what you say. 

This 'unbroken sky' reminds me of a cloak, or a canopy, trying to hold all within it from breaking.

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

I think the unbroken sky meant freedom to Teodore.  When he was in prison, he couldn't see the sky so he really appreciates being able to look up and see the huge sky that seems to go on forever.

During times of planting and harvest, the sky was a source of beauty and hope.  It held the key to the family's survival.

Wordsmith
Fozzie

Re: Unbroken Sky-SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK

SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK

The title of the book is perfect.

The unbroken sky is in contrast to the broken family that lies beneath it.  However, conversely, the remains of the broken family are still together, unbroken and eternal, like the sky.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Unbroken Sky-SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK

I like your description here. How the broken family is still together describes how many families are.

pen21

Fozzie wrote:

SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK

The title of the book is perfect.

The unbroken sky is in contrast to the broken family that lies beneath it.  However, conversely, the remains of the broken family are still together, unbroken and eternal, like the sky.

Correspondent
Rosei

The title remetes to how all in the book is fragile. Everything under the sky seems tore up, only the sky itself, a witness of that family life and sorrows, remains unbroken.
Inspired Contributor
jbnie
0 Kudos

To me, the sky, no matter what time of day, or the weather always represents faith and hope. Faith that life will continue on this earth and hope that life will get better. To me this is the theme of this book. Life will continue and get better.

rkubie wrote:

This is a thread that may evolve as we progress through the novel, but can you talk about how the title "Under this Unbroken Sky" reflects the novel so far?

Frequent Contributor
dj5775
0 Kudos

They are immigrants on a new land very much unsettled. They are breaking it in. In the Ukraine their life was broken, it's now beginning anew. The sky is everywhere and never broken, no matter where you go. Maybe it's a metaphor?
ct