Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Welcome to the group, Amy. I hope you enjoy the discussion.  :smileywink:

Park-Avenue-Princess wrote:
HI Everyone!  I'm AMY and I'm SO looking forward to this discussion with all of you here at First Look!  Under The Unbroken Sky looks amazing!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

FL history/selections

[ Edited ]

Hi, deannafrances. The FL club started with The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff in September 2007. There have been nine other books, but eight opportunities (one month's selection had us choose one of two books). It has been a great opportunity to explore new types of books and meet new authors. My two top books are The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe and The House at Riverton by Kate Morton, and there was only one selection I didn't enjoy. B&N has done a fabulous job of selecting books and authors for preview here. A complete listing of the books can be found at the website below.  :smileywink:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-Books-First-Look-Book-Club/379000130

deannafrances wrote:

I live in MId-Michigan and this will be book no 5 from First Look.

What is the history of the club?

When did it start?

What were the first books chosen?

I really enjoy reading and also reading the views of other readers. Sometimes another person's perspective can change your attitude toward the book.

Since I live up in the Great White North --, one of the cable TV Channels we get is CBC --Canada--so I hear lots of Canadian news and watch some of their marvelous programming. 

Again, glad to be apart of the FL group. 

Message Edited by DSaff on 07-07-2009 07:23 AM
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Inspired Contributor
pode
0 Kudos

kpatton wrote:

bookowlie wrote:

I agree.  Deliverance Dane was the other FL book discussion which I participated in.  I didn't take the time then to read all of the introductions.  I am reading them this time.  I am liking the diversity of this group of readers.  I am also liking getting to know a little about all of you.

I also have pets- a dog and a cat- who are usually curled up beside me as I read.  I have to beautiful adult daughters, one of which is a voracious reader and believes that I am her personal library.  She was here yesterday and took home three books from my stack of to be reads.

I look forward to our discussions.

Kathy

I have two wonderful adult daughters also and a wonderful daughter-in-law (who participates in the FL book club).  Like you, we often exchange books.  It's easier to spring for buying books rather than always waiting for the library to get them when I can count on my mom, daughters, daughter-in-law and friends to read and pass them along!

Pode

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"
â Henry Ward Beecher
Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

Welcome everyone!  I'm so excited about this new adventure that we will be traveling on together as one big happy book family!!!!:smileyvery-happy:
Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

Confirmation.........my new favorite word!!!
Inspired Contributor
no4daughter
0 Kudos

Hi all.  My name is Linda and I am from the northern regions of MN/WI (lived most of my life and work in MN, now live in WI) where summer like weather finally arrived last week.

I really enjoy the opportunity, through the generosity of B&N and FL, to read things that I may not have chosen myself.  I have really loved the lively discussions the last two books generated and am looking forward to another. 

Happy reading.

Inspired Contributor
abbyg7
0 Kudos

This day can't get much better, a day off of work and a confirmation for the new First Look.

I'm Abby from Michigan.  I've done several FL's now and it's always interesting to read everyone's different takes on the books.  Can't wait for the discussions to begin.

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

I checked in to the book club this morning and was glad to see that I received my confirmation yesterday afternoon.   I can't wait to start this new book.  I am a fan of historical fiction. 

MG

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Confirmed.  Funny how one word can turn your day around and put a smile on your face!
"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
New User
saulchichas
0 Kudos

Hey,

I'm new here.  I guess I'm waiting for my confirmation though(...? Are these the confirmations for the Under This Unbroken Sky ARC?).

Anyway, I look forward to participating here in the future. :smileyhappy:

Reader 2
Jestre
0 Kudos

Hello there.  Name is Scott and currently I hail from North Carolina.  I just heard about the book and First Look club on Twitter, so I hope I'm not too late to join the party.

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Donna, I'll let you know how I like The Sister.  I usually like something a little more upbeat, but I am going to give it a whirl in the spirit of the FL club!

Carolyn

DSaff wrote:

I'll be interested in how you like The Sister, bookowlie. I enjoyed the book with all of its psychological components.

bookowlie wrote:

I received my confirmation today - hip hip hooray!  Thanks Paul!

I took The Sister out of the library yesterday.  It was one of the earlier First Look books.  I want to read the earlier FL's from before I found out about this wonderful club.  The Sister seems a little creepy based on the description, but that's part of what I love about First Look - trying out books you might ordinarily not think of reading.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the group, Scott  :smileyhappy:

Jestre wrote:

Hello there.  Name is Scott and currently I hail from North Carolina.  I just heard about the book and First Look club on Twitter, so I hope I'm not too late to join the party.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome, saulchichas :smileyhappy: This is where you introduce yourself for the book. Confirmations come as private messages. When you have one, a little gold envelope will appear above the words "First Look."

saulchichas wrote:

Hey,

I'm new here.  I guess I'm waiting for my confirmation though(...? Are these the confirmations for the Under This Unbroken Sky ARC?).

Anyway, I look forward to participating here in the future. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
shelley727
0 Kudos

Hello I'm Shelley.  I live in Texas & I'm looking forward to this FL book.  I hope I get a confirmation!
Shelley
kmn
Reader 2
kmn
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Karen and I live in the Twin Cities is MN.  I love to read, and a co-worker just told me about this program.  So this will be my first "First Look".  It sounds like fun.

Contributor
danikl
0 Kudos

Greetings from sunny and WARM Arizona!

So looking forward to this read.

Love the potpourri of different kinds of books offered in First Look.

Diane

Contributor
SapphicKris
0 Kudos

Greetings everyone,

I'm Kris, from southern VT. This will be my first FL selection if I get confirmed. It looks like a great book and I am very much looking forward to the discussion here. It looks like a lively group already.

Take Care,

Kris

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Karen,

Welcome to the group. It will be great to have a co-worker on board.

Luanne

kmn wrote:

Hi,

My name is Karen and I live in the Twin Cities is MN.  I love to read, and a co-worker just told me about this program.  So this will be my first "First Look".  It sounds like fun.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome, Kris! We do have a great time here.  :smileyhappy:

SapphicKris wrote:

Greetings everyone,

I'm Kris, from southern VT. This will be my first FL selection if I get confirmed. It looks like a great book and I am very much looking forward to the discussion here. It looks like a lively group already.

Take Care,

Kris