Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Contributor
cornwall
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎02-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi, my name is Chrissy. This will be my fifth FL book, bot it a few days ago. my familly is amused how excited I get, but they crowd around to look at the new book as well. I really like the last one Of Bees and Mist. I hope this will be as good. I live in the Chicagoland area.
Reader
D.Sherie
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎01-17-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi ! My name is Dawn.. I live in Grand Rapids, MI. A mother of five who finds time to sneak away to feed my love of books. I also am a firm believer of reading to your children daily. I think this has helped my children to be one of the top readers in their school. this will be my second FL.  I am looking forward to a great  discussion and meeting others who share the love of books as I do ( yes, my husband thinks I have an insanely amount of books I will not part with lol )
Correspondent
Stewies_Mom
Posts: 140
Registered: ‎05-28-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

I came home today to find my ARC on my porch and I was so excited.  I never got an acceptance message and since this is my first FL, I assumed I didn't make it in.  I am truly happy to have the privilege to participate.  I look forward to the book club experience and am thrilled to have the chance at discussion with Ms. Mitchell herself.  I will make myself follow the schedule, as I don't want to miss anything!
Frequent Contributor
Chatterbox
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎11-28-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi, I'm Suzanne IRL, and this is my second FL offering. I had to take a break until now because I've been slogging over work on a non-fiction book that was due with my publishers in May and is just now getting finished. Or rather, it's finished enough that I figure I can spare enough time to read for sheer pleasure and participate in a discussion without feeling extremely guilty! 

 

I was particularly interested in this because most of my family is Canadian, and I'm very interested in the immigrant experience. The fact that most of us North Americans are descendants of immigrants -- including some who arrived when coming here was a strange and dangerous one-way trip a bit like emigrating to the moon might be today, one that cut you off permanently from all that was familiar in your life -- continues to fascinate me.

 

Now the book is here, and it's time to start reading. Hurrah! 

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Welcome to the FL group, Stewies_Mom!  It really is wonderful to have the author join us, as well as the publishers/editors who are able to come as well.


Stewies_Mom wrote:
I came home today to find my ARC on my porch and I was so excited.  I never got an acceptance message and since this is my first FL, I assumed I didn't make it in.  I am truly happy to have the privilege to participate.  I look forward to the book club experience and am thrilled to have the chance at discussion with Ms. Mitchell herself.  I will make myself follow the schedule, as I don't want to miss anything!

 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

I need help!  I'm having problems sending emails to B&N from my home computer.  Everytime I hit reply, it takes me back to the message board.  I know my user name/password are valid so that is not the problem.  I usually can log on from my office computer, but not always.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me.  I never had this problem before and it is very frustrating, especially with the FL beginning Aug. 3.  I really don't want to spend any extra time at work in order to participate.  Any suggestions would be very welcomed.  Thanks much.

Frequent Contributor
Chatterbox
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎11-28-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Could it be something to do with your security settings or cookies? That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Suggest sending your e-mail to someone at the technical side of the B&N website, however; they are likely to be most familiar with what kind of issues/settings could cause this kind of snafu. Even the technies amongst us won't know the ins and outs of the B&N site.

I know how frustrating it is, but with a week to go, you've got time to solve it!! Good luck... 

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

literature,

 

Try this: From the message board click "Preferences" (all the way to the right at the top) then click the tab that says "Display and Privacy Settings." Scroll down to where it says "Enable Private Messages." Make sure the box is checked. Then "Save" your change if it wasn't checked and you are giving it a check mark now.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Sunltcloud is right. Try that and let me know if that works. I assume you're referring to private messages, right?

 


literature wrote:

I need help!  I'm having problems sending emails to B&N from my home computer.  Everytime I hit reply, it takes me back to the message board.  I know my user name/password are valid so that is not the problem.  I usually can log on from my office computer, but not always.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me.  I never had this problem before and it is very frustrating, especially with the FL beginning Aug. 3.  I really don't want to spend any extra time at work in order to participate.  Any suggestions would be very welcomed.  Thanks much.


 

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
Posts: 160
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Just a thought: this happens to me when I am signed in to BN.com but haven't signed in to First Look Book Clubs.

Like I said; just a thought...

Cora

 

 


literature wrote:

I need help!  I'm having problems sending emails to B&N from my home computer.  Everytime I hit reply, it takes me back to the message board.  I know my user name/password are valid so that is not the problem.  I usually can log on from my office computer, but not always.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me.  I never had this problem before and it is very frustrating, especially with the FL beginning Aug. 3.  I really don't want to spend any extra time at work in order to participate.  Any suggestions would be very welcomed.  Thanks much.


 

Correspondent
ssizemore
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi-

I am Sandy in Macon, Georgia.  I am looking forward to this discussion!  The book looks very interesting.  This is my first foray into this kind of thing and I am delighted to participate!

New User
afreenpk
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎07-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi!  My name is Afreen Mirza, I live in southern California.  I just got the book and I am really excited to read it!  I love to read and currently am a part of a small reading club.  We try to read books from different cultures, etc...............looking forward to Under This Unbroken Sky.  The title is interestin, almost luring............
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Welcome to the group, Afreen! I hope you enjoy this discussion as much as your other one. :smileyhappy:


afreenpk wrote:
Hi!  My name is Afreen Mirza, I live in southern California.  I just got the book and I am really excited to read it!  I love to read and currently am a part of a small reading club.  We try to read books from different cultures, etc...............looking forward to Under This Unbroken Sky.  The title is interestin, almost luring............

 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Welcome to the group, Sandy! It's good to have you with us. :smileywink:


ssizemore wrote:

Hi-

I am Sandy in Macon, Georgia.  I am looking forward to this discussion!  The book looks very interesting.  This is my first foray into this kind of thing and I am delighted to participate!


 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi, everyone Gail Marie, here I received my book  and I can't wait to get started.  I have enjoyed most of the First Look books. I can't wait to read all of you all posts.  I read each and everyone post  just to see other people opinion on the book we are reading. Great reading everyone.
Reader 4
LKLO
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-22-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

I am a mother of four in Oregon.......and I love reading, but don't have the time!  We just moved into a new home, and when I unpacked all my unread books and carefully placed them in my new library, it made me sad.  There are so many I haven't gotten to yet.  I have, therefore, fervently renewed my goal to read more each day........even when I think I don't have the time.  All three of my college students are home for the summer, so in the Fall, when I'm down to one high-schooler, I hope to finish all the books I've started on my nightstand.

 

This is my second First Look book.  First one was The Sister.

 

Other books I am reading are:  Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner, The Shack by William P. Young, Die Trying by Lee Childs, The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss, and Mosaic by Amy Grant.

 

Am trying to get through Twilight because my 20-year-old daughter, who generally doesn't read, couldn't put it down.  Can't quite see what the fuss is about, and am having a hard time getting through it.

 

I like to have a myriad of genre's going at once, as you can see!

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Welcome back, LKLO! Your list of books is great. I read The Shack and loved it, as I hope you do. I also read the entire Twilight series and enjoyed it as well (I am 50 something LOL). You might like Prayers For Sale as well. I highly recommend it. Happy reading!  :smileywink:


LKLO wrote:

I am a mother of four in Oregon.......and I love reading, but don't have the time!  We just moved into a new home, and when I unpacked all my unread books and carefully placed them in my new library, it made me sad.  There are so many I haven't gotten to yet.  I have, therefore, fervently renewed my goal to read more each day........even when I think I don't have the time.  All three of my college students are home for the summer, so in the Fall, when I'm down to one high-schooler, I hope to finish all the books I've started on my nightstand.

 

This is my second First Look book.  First one was The Sister.

 

Other books I am reading are:  Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner, The Shack by William P. Young, Die Trying by Lee Childs, The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss, and Mosaic by Amy Grant.

 

Am trying to get through Twilight because my 20-year-old daughter, who generally doesn't read, couldn't put it down.  Can't quite see what the fuss is about, and am having a hard time getting through it.

 

I like to have a myriad of genre's going at once, as you can see!


 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
nlsamson
Posts: 104
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

I am currently about 50 pages away from finishing Best Friends Forever, and it has been fantastic.  Nice light reading.  I agree with DSaff, please read Prayers for Sale.  And welcome!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.  It turned out to be my browser.  The problem I was having was that I could not respond to anyone's posting.  I spoke with B&N tech dept and they said it wasn't them, so I took my hard drive to the Geeks at Best Buy and they checked it out and said it was my browser.  I just got off the phone with Optimum and the tech knew exactly what the problem was.  He downloaded Mozilla Firefox and now it is working fine.  So relieved!!!  So if anyone else comes up with a problem like this where you cannot reply to the messages, check your browser.  Perhaps this point should be included in the "Help" module.smileyvery-happy:
Contributor
Elisant
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎07-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi all!  My name is Tara and this is my first time with FL.  I just got my book on Friday and am sooooo excited to start reading!  :smileysurprised:)