Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Isn't it awesome that they are seeing the value of books this early! Your post put a huge smile on my face. :smileywink:

Mommy-Read-Write wrote:

My book arrived today! I was talking to my husband and heard the UPS truck but didn't even go to look.  Then my daughter (who is 5) came in and said, "Mommy, there's a package on the porch.  I bet it's your book!" She was just as excited about its arrival as me! She's been carrying it around with her all afternoon.  She's telling her little sister, "This is Mommy's new first book from Barnes and Noble."  They crack me up!

And by the way - the cover of the book is beautiful!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write

I'm happy to spread the joy! Yes, I love that my daughters already value books and writing and story time.  They both take a book with them where ever we go.  Gee, I wonder who they learned that from.  :-) My husband just laughs and shakes his head but I know he loves it!

DSaff wrote:

Isn't it awesome that they are seeing the value of books this early! Your post put a huge smile on my face. :smileywink:

Mommy-Read-Write wrote:

My book arrived today! I was talking to my husband and heard the UPS truck but didn't even go to look.  Then my daughter (who is 5) came in and said, "Mommy, there's a package on the porch.  I bet it's your book!" She was just as excited about its arrival as me! She's been carrying it around with her all afternoon.  She's telling her little sister, "This is Mommy's new first book from Barnes and Noble."  They crack me up!

And by the way - the cover of the book is beautiful!

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

love2readSZ wrote:
I am so happy to hear that other people have my book addiction and the lack of shelving space.  Now all I have to do is convince my husband that I am not totally out of control. 

My husband used to think I was out of control.  When we first married I had lots of books and kept buying.  Finally he said if I brought 1 more book in, he was putting both me and my books out.  :smileysurprised:  So, I started sneaking them in.  Finally he just gave in because there was/is no way of stopping my love affair with books.  Now, he has a lot of books also, so whenever I get a new one, he just shakes his head. :smileyhappy:  When we travel, the first thing he asks is if I've got a book to read because he now knows that I go gaga when I don't have anything to read.  (I've even been known to read a phone book if there's nothing avaible.)

The good part of this is, not only did I convert my husband, although he's not as bad as me but, all my children are book readers and collectors too :smileyvery-happy: .

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

It's amazing how many families are involved in reading.  When my children were younger and in school (still have a 16 year old at home), I read everything that was required reading for them.  This helped with conversations especially when they were teenagers.  As well, all my children are now avid readers because of this and how they saw me read with them along with reading on my own.  :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Aggelia wrote:
Hello! I'm Jennifer in the Chicago suburbs. This is my first First Look and I'm looking forward to it!

Hi Aggelia,

Which suburb are you from?  I am in the Northwest suburbs - Palatine.

MG

Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

Hey all! Kourtney from NYC here. About half way thru Under This Broken Sky. Looks like once again we have an awesome group. Can not wait for the discussion to start.
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

literature wrote:
I try to read as much historical fiction as possible.  I just finished the audio book of "Someone Knows My Name" and just loved it.  I had a rather long road trip to do and this audio was the perfect mate.  The narrator was so good that when the 14 disks ended, I found myself missing her voice as well as the characters.  A few years ago I read "Forever" which went into the history of Manhattan/NYC and that started me on a whole new adventure.  Now I cannot read enough about the history of NYC.  Of course, growing up in the city helps because I'm familiar with many of the sites.   I also do the historical walking tours of Manhattan which are extremely informative.  I never remembered history being so interesting when I was in school.  Another good historical read is "The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet Streets".   It's about the Japanese internment on the west coast during WWII.  I would love to have any recommendations that you can make.  Eagerly looking forward to the beginning of our group.  I'm going to start the book tonight.

I, too, love historical fiction. Have you ever read City of Dreams? It is a wonderful, intriguing story of early Manhattan and the birth of "the science of medicine."  With your interest in  NYC, as well as historical stuff, you might find it interesting.

City of Dreams 

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Contributor
jaimehuff1
0 Kudos

Hello!!

My name is Jaime, I am a 31 year old single mom with an awesome daughter who is disabled due to brain damage (just had major surgery on Thursday and was off pain meds in 2 days.. amazing!), I am in grad school, blog and love my life.

I don't have one particular genre that I prefer, love them all!

Follow me on myblog
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I'm glad you are able to join us, Jamie, and I bet your daughter is amazing! I hope she is doing well. :smileywink:

jaimehuff1 wrote:

Hello!!

My name is Jaime, I am a 31 year old single mom with an awesome daughter who is disabled due to brain damage (just had major surgery on Thursday and was off pain meds in 2 days.. amazing!), I am in grad school, blog and love my life.

I don't have one particular genre that I prefer, love them all!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Hi Thayer,

Thanks for your recommendation and, yes, I read City of Dreams plus there is also another one in that series that I've also read.

Contributor
AliceLee428
0 Kudos

Hi!  My name is Alice and I'm from Virginia.  Love to read and was thrilled when I found this "First Look" book club.  I received my copy of Under This Unbroken Sky a few days ago---will begin reading as soon as I finish the book I'm currently on!
Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

Hi Alice:

Welcome to our group!!:smileyvery-happy:

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the group, Alice. It's nice to get a new book, isn't it?  :smileywink:

AliceLee428 wrote:
Hi!  My name is Alice and I'm from Virginia.  Love to read and was thrilled when I found this "First Look" book club.  I received my copy of Under This Unbroken Sky a few days ago---will begin reading as soon as I finish the book I'm currently on!

Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

I received my book this afternoon! Thank you so much and I look forward our discussion :smileyhappy:
Contributor
pagese
0 Kudos

HI!  My name is Page and I'm a stay at home mom is a small town in Idaho.  I love to read and recently starting blogging about books as well.  This is my 2nd FL book.  I hope to be more active in the discussion this time around. 
Reader 2
Rosalie_01
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Rosalie from Philadelphia, PA.  First time on First Look and am very much looking forward to it!
New User
myrandomfate
0 Kudos

hello I am Leah. I live in Washington state. this is my first time doing this. I hope I post this correctly. I am truly excited to read and respond about this book.
Contributor
grapes63
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am Grapes63. I live in Southeastern Tn. My children have grown up and become young men. Now, I am a grandmother. I love kitties and cats. My husband and I have one cat. She is more than a handful. My favorite hobby is reading. Like all of you I am addicted to books. I want to cross stitch, but I have trouble reading the charts. I live very close to the Barnes And Noble, a new store in the mall.

I would like to say thank you very much for my advance reader copy.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the group, Leah! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There are lots of helpful people here. :smileywink:

myrandomfate wrote:
hello I am Leah. I live in Washington state. this is my first time doing this. I hope I post this correctly. I am truly excited to read and respond about this book.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the group, Rosalie! It's good to have you with us. :smileyhappy:

Rosalie_01 wrote:
Hi, I'm Rosalie from Philadelphia, PA.  First time on First Look and am very much looking forward to it!