Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Fozzie

Re: Write Your Review!

Emotional Story That Stays With You

What I liked about this book is that it can be read on many different levels.  The story is suspenseful and the book can be read just for that.  However, there is so much more to this book.  The writing style is simple, yet requires the reader to think for herself and piece together bits of information learned from various characters to truly understand what happened.  There is lots of imagery and symbolism in the book, which can be noted and contemplated.  The reader can learn about a time and place from a historical perspective.  Lastly, the reader can become emotionally involved with the characters, who are unique and memorable.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Anna_Louise

Paul:

Here's my review.  Thanks for allowing me to be part of First Look for Under This Unbroken Sky.  I loved every moment of it and fantastic job on your part! :smileyhappy:

Anna

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/reviews-ratings-Anna_Louise/id/1200131/

Inspired Contributor
bartzturkeymom
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

Hi All,

Please write your review for this wonderful book. Not only do reviews spread the word to other readers, they're a valuable asset to the First Look Program, so make sure you tell people you read it here first!!

Click here to write your review.

Thanks!

Message Edited by PaulH on 08-23-2009 12:18 PM

I've submitted mine --

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1200505

though I'm very embarassed! I previewed it and it looked fine but when I submitted it, all of my line spacing was deleted so it is all smooshed together. There doesn't seem to be a delete function once it is posted so... I guess I will use hard returns next time.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. - Edith Wharton
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

I think the lines ae automatically removed. I started to put in five dashes (-----) to delineate a new paragraph. I'm not sure why it does this.

bartzturkeymom wrote:

PaulH wrote:

Hi All,

Please write your review for this wonderful book. Not only do reviews spread the word to other readers, they're a valuable asset to the First Look Program, so make sure you tell people you read it here first!!

Click here to write your review.

Thanks!

Message Edited by PaulH on 08-23-2009 12:18 PM

I've submitted mine --

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1200505

though I'm very embarassed! I previewed it and it looked fine but when I submitted it, all of my line spacing was deleted so it is all smooshed together. There doesn't seem to be a delete function once it is posted so... I guess I will use hard returns next time.

Inspired Contributor
Wisteria-L
0 Kudos

This was published in blogcritics magazine online.

http://blogcritics.org/books/article/book-review-under-this-unbroken-sky/

Wisteria Leigh:smileyhappy:

Wisteria,

"Few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds a way into his heart."

The Shadow of the Wind,
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Contributor
abicreasmom
0 Kudos

Hi Paul. I wrote my review but exited off of the website before I copied the address. Do you know how I can post that to you now that I have already closed that page.

Thanks

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

If you go back to your review and click the permalink button at the bottom, you can then highlight and copy the url here. Thanks!

abicreasmom wrote:

Hi Paul. I wrote my review but exited off of the website before I copied the address. Do you know how I can post that to you now that I have already closed that page.

Thanks

Contributor
AliceLee428
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

babzilla41 wrote:

I've posted my review - not sure how to add link.

Thank you again B&N for the opportunity to read and participate in the discussion of this excellent FL.

Here's the link to my review:  http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/Review.aspx?page=Review&reviewid=1198960
"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Frequent Contributor
cmmn
0 Kudos

Thank you for introducing me to this book!  This was my first experience with a book club of any kind.  I really enjoyed reading the postings.  It added so much to the book.  We all see different things and pick up different nuances in the narrative.  Most of the time I got so caught up in the reading I forgot to post myself. After reading this book I checked out the other books the First Look Book Club has introduced.  I've already read two of them.  I hope to be able to join you again in the future.  Maybe I'll even learn the art of posting.  Thank you again for the wonderful book.  (I have posted my review.)
pen21
0 Kudos

Here is my review and the link.

Well Written Book

This book is so well written. The phrasing and the mood of a setting put you in the character's eyes.I spent time thinking about the book especially after the last part of the book. The characters will stay with you. I read the ARC of the book as part of the First Look book club at Barnes and Noble. I'm not sure I would have picked this book up otherwise. But what a find. I have enjoyed this book. The Fall section seemed to slow down for me, but brought anticipation that Winter was coming with all the hardships for families at the time.There was a lot of tragedy in the book, but that is true to the time and place they lived in. I think the author gave a good account of the struggle at that time. The author joined us online on the Barnes and Noble board. What a gracious person, responding to comments on what we liked/disliked, our interpretations, etc. I think Shandi Mitchell would be a great person to meet at a signing and hear more of her insight into this book.

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/Review.aspx?page=Review&reviewid=1200633

pen21

Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

My review is up. http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1200820

It was a good book to read, although I wouldn't have picked it on my own. I think it would be an excellent choice for a book group.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

I wrote my review and submitted it but I inadvertently did it from the thread page instead of coming here.  This is my first FL book club and the thread page said click here to write your review so I did it.  I just went back onto the B&N website to see if I could edit it, but couldn't, because then I would have posted it through here.  Now I'll know better for the next FL book club. 

I followed the instructions Paul gave another contributor but couldn't get the link over to this section so I just posted my review below.  Paul, how do I get the "url" over? 

Posted 08/25/09: Shandi Mitchell has written an extraordinary first novel that will have you hooked from the very beginning. She tells the story of a family in the 1930's living under Stalin's ruling in the Ukraine until they are driven out. The story begins with them taking a family picture, dressed in their church best-summer clothes-in 4 inches of snow. She says that before the story has ended, one person in the photograph will be dead as well as two others not in the photograph. They are lured to the Northern Canadian Prairies by being told they have the healthiest climate in the world and farms for everyone; that it is a vast land that goes on as far as the eye can see. But it is a different story once they get there. Teodor has just returned from prison for stealing his own wheat. Maria, his wife, has been running the farm, along with and taking care of their five children and also taking care of her husband's sister and her two children as well. It is the story of how Teodor acclimates himself back into civilian life, to his family and farming and the obstacles they constantly encounter...fire, dust storms, inadequate food supply, an extremely frigid winter and the return of his scoundrel of a brother-in-law...that tests all their wits. The requirements set by the Land Office are very strict and Teodor runs the risk of losing everything. Ms. Mitchell has written a beautiful novel which deals with the hardships of settling in a new country and the problems with family members and those you can't trust. Her writing grips you from the very beginning and then only partially releases you after the story is finished. You will feel part of both the family and the land and suffer with them through all their tragedies. The characters will take over your soul and you will cry with them. It is a sad story for what they had to encounter but Ms. Mitchell gives each of the characters a drive and determination to succeed so it is also the story of hope and faith and knowing that in order to succeed one must work hard. Ms. Mitchell has put her heart and soul into the story. Under This Unbroken Sky is only the beginning. Ms. Mitchell has to continue their story so we can continue to be part of their lives.

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Here it is:

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/Review.aspx?page=Review&reviewid=1199980

literature wrote:

I wrote my review and submitted it but I inadvertently did it from the thread page instead of coming here.  This is my first FL book club and the thread page said click here to write your review so I did it.  I just went back onto the B&N website to see if I could edit it, but couldn't, because then I would have posted it through here.  Now I'll know better for the next FL book club. 

I followed the instructions Paul gave another contributor but couldn't get the link over to this section so I just posted my review below.  Paul, how do I get the "url" over? 

Posted 08/25/09: Shandi Mitchell has written an extraordinary first novel that will have you hooked from the very beginning. She tells the story of a family in the 1930's living under Stalin's ruling in the Ukraine until they are driven out. The story begins with them taking a family picture, dressed in their church best-summer clothes-in 4 inches of snow. She says that before the story has ended, one person in the photograph will be dead as well as two others not in the photograph. They are lured to the Northern Canadian Prairies by being told they have the healthiest climate in the world and farms for everyone; that it is a vast land that goes on as far as the eye can see. But it is a different story once they get there. Teodor has just returned from prison for stealing his own wheat. Maria, his wife, has been running the farm, along with and taking care of their five children and also taking care of her husband's sister and her two children as well. It is the story of how Teodor acclimates himself back into civilian life, to his family and farming and the obstacles they constantly encounter...fire, dust storms, inadequate food supply, an extremely frigid winter and the return of his scoundrel of a brother-in-law...that tests all their wits. The requirements set by the Land Office are very strict and Teodor runs the risk of losing everything. Ms. Mitchell has written a beautiful novel which deals with the hardships of settling in a new country and the problems with family members and those you can't trust. Her writing grips you from the very beginning and then only partially releases you after the story is finished. You will feel part of both the family and the land and suffer with them through all their tragedies. The characters will take over your soul and you will cry with them. It is a sad story for what they had to encounter but Ms. Mitchell gives each of the characters a drive and determination to succeed so it is also the story of hope and faith and knowing that in order to succeed one must work hard. Ms. Mitchell has put her heart and soul into the story. Under This Unbroken Sky is only the beginning. Ms. Mitchell has to continue their story so we can continue to be part of their lives.

Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

retromom wrote:

Here is my review. This has been my favorite First Look Book. This one really blew me away. I am still having a hard time getting into another book as these characters are still on my mind. I may just have to reread it.

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1199269

I thought I was the only one!  My head is still in this book and with the characters.  I just can't concentrate on another book right now.  

GREAT BOOK! 

Inspired Contributor
Ronrose
0 Kudos

Just posted my review, http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1200805  I would like to say again, thank you for choosing such an excellent book for those of us in the First Look Book Club. I throughly enjoy  reading new books by such talented writers. Keep up the good work. I look forward to the next challenging read. I will be spreading the word to other venues such as Amazon, Early Reviewers, Goodreads and BookArmy to name a few.
Correspondent
nicole21WA
0 Kudos

I have posted my review on the Barnes and Noble site as well as my blog.

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I wrote my review earlier this week and Paul, let me know how I can put a link to my review.

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/Review.aspx?page=Review&reviewid=1200381

Thank, again Paul, you are the man (smile).

Correspondent
mamawli
0 Kudos

I enjoyed the vivid descriptions throughout the book.  I felt that I was actually there working in the fields and eating the good home grown food.  I thought that I was running with the family in the fire.  Shandi MItchell created characters that I learned to like, for example Maria, Lesya and even Teodor.  I disliked Stefan and Anna because their characters were created in that fashion.  Ms. Mitchell has a wonderful gift for telling a story.

Thank you all for allowing me the privilege to read and to review Under This Unbroken Sky

Inspired Contributor
abbyg7
0 Kudos

Thank you Barnes and Noble and Shandi Mitchell for the opportunity to read this book.  I think it is my favorite First Look selection so far.  I am having a hard time starting another book because this one is still so much on my mind.  I will highly recommend this book to others.