Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
smurfyabs
0 Kudos

Re: About Vixen and Jillian Larkin

Atreyu59 wrote:

How many other books does author Jillian have out thus far?

This is her debut.

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

this is really cool - a first for the author & we get to test drive it first.

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Contributor
I_heart_you
0 Kudos

Yes it's super cool, I agree!

One of my previous co-workers actually published a book (In His Hands)while I was working with her. And it was so cool to learn more about her than I ever knew, and it was awesome to be one of the first people to ever read it.

This is really an awesome thing!

I'm a geek and I love it!
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Hey there "I_heart_you":

I never use to give much attention or play to the bio & information about the author, but since participating in FL I really find the author's background and what made them write the novels and characters interesting.  Especially when a novel/book is good-makes you want to ask the writer/author all about what they were their thought process, who influenced their writing, why they chose that particular genre? etc.....   My guess is there is a writer in all of us, but some just grow up and onto other things, while they simply blossom and become prolific writers that we hunger for . . . . . . . Me- well just a writer in my head that never got released.

happy reading!

One of my previous co-workers actually published a book (In His Hands)while I was working with her. And it was so cool to learn more about her than I ever knew, and it was awesome to be one of the first people to ever read it.

Frequent Contributor
BookBobBP
0 Kudos

I just received my copy ol this book.  The cover looks a little racy for a young adult novel but like the old saying goes "you can not judge a book by its  cover."

Contributor
I_heart_you

It depends on the story and  the author, but I often find myself wondering about the story that never was. For instance, when I read a story, sometimes I wonder if the final story is the same story it was when the author started. Or other stuff the author has in her head about the characters but that doesn't actually make it in the book.
I think this is why I am particularly fond of series type books. With each one you find out more that you didn't know in the last book.

Atreyu59 wrote:

Hey there "I_heart_you":

I never use to give much attention or play to the bio & information about the author, but since participating in FL I really find the author's background and what made them write the novels and characters interesting.  Especially when a novel/book is good-makes you want to ask the writer/author all about what they were their thought process, who influenced their writing, why they chose that particular genre? etc.....   My guess is there is a writer in all of us, but some just grow up and onto other things, while they simply blossom and become prolific writers that we hunger for . . . . . . . Me- well just a writer in my head that never got released.

happy reading!

I'm a geek and I love it!
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

I was so intrigued by what the Author wrote yesterday I stayed up until 0300 hours this am not wanting to put the book away . . . yes I read more than 3/4 of the book while trying to tell myself to go to bed and put the book away!

So much for Plan A!

What a plate of Hotsauce- this book is-whew plenty to engage the reader, especially YA's.

happy reading 

Contributor
TheBookNut
0 Kudos

It's great, isn't it?  I've always loved movies about this time period and can easily picture everything in my mind while reading.  It is really hard to put down.  I think it would be so easy for a YA to get into it.  I'm an adult and would have so enjoyed it as a teenager even.  I can't wait to finish reading. 

Contributor
Myrtlemay
0 Kudos

The roaring 20's is such an interesting time. I am about 80 pages into the book and enjoying it's descriptions of the material items from the 20's.

Have you been to a speakeasy dinner theater?

If your answer is no, you need to find a good one ASAP!

I live in Michigan and a great, relatively close one is in Chicago. It is called Tommy Gun's Garage. It is in a building Al Capone owed! It is definitely geared toward adults. If you are planning a trip to the windy city, put this on your must see list. That is if you like music, the 20's, and a few drinks!

As I am reading, I am taking the experiences I have had at this dinner theater and the descriptions of the Green Mill to create a pretty bumpin' place.

I am sure the author's description is enough but pulling from prior knowledge usually happens without thinking about it!

Just a note: I am a music teacher (general/vocal). I am not trying to sell this dinner theater to you, It just recreates the speakeasy feel.

Hope you are enjoying this book my friends!

Reader 4
julieanne
0 Kudos

I had that exact same thought when I read about Vixen.  I've only read the first book of the Luxe series though.  The rest are on my wishlist, they just have a lot of books ahead of them. 

Reader 4
julieanne
0 Kudos

I am the same way.  I tend to pick books that I know are part of a series.  I love getting to know the characters more with each additional book.

Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

TO Myrtlemay:
Thanks for the great idea! I live in Chicago and will definitely be checking this place out!

Myrtlemay wrote:

The roaring 20's is such an interesting time. I am about 80 pages into the book and enjoying it's descriptions of the material items from the 20's.

Have you been to a speakeasy dinner theater?

If your answer is no, you need to find a good one ASAP!

I live in Michigan and a great, relatively close one is in Chicago. It is called Tommy Gun's Garage. It is in a building Al Capone owed! It is definitely geared toward adults. If you are planning a trip to the windy city, put this on your must see list. That is if you like music, the 20's, and a few drinks!

As I am reading, I am taking the experiences I have had at this dinner theater and the descriptions of the Green Mill to create a pretty bumpin' place.

I am sure the author's description is enough but pulling from prior knowledge usually happens without thinking about it!

Just a note: I am a music teacher (general/vocal). I am not trying to sell this dinner theater to you, It just recreates the speakeasy feel.

Hope you are enjoying this book my friends!

Contributor
sandrabrazier
0 Kudos

This book was a vivid description of the 1920's! Thank you. I felt as if I went back in time! This was an experience I will not forget!

New User
LilithPotterlovestoread
0 Kudos

I absolutely LOVE this book. I read it in 3 days; I couldn't stop. It drove my parents crazy! Whatever you do, find a way to read this book! I guarantee you'll LOVE it too! :smileyvery-happy:

-Lilith

New User
booksfan
0 Kudos

Hey check out Treacherous it's dangerous!!

Tremendous thriller: Very powerful and dynamic read Treacherous "The Beginning"
Don't be left out get your copy today @: www.treacherousthebook.com