Correspondent
Atreyu59

Re: Books are arriving!

To:  Vermontcozy & Pen21 - - - >  When I received my book in the mail I took a long hard look at the cover & being an avid sewer/fashion buff I have to say I love that dress & the ornate embellishments on her gown on the cover.  Beautiful, yet can give a hint to the risque type of read the novel may be.

I looked at the feel of the book and how the pages felt & then put it back down to have on the coffee table until time to read or ponder the pages again....

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

What is with all the 'demonic & witchcraft' books & followings?

I imagine that with the popularity of Harry Potter & the like these type of books and the overall genre has become more fascinating but I don't get with the interest & cult type following of this type of read.

I prefer a upbeat, positive type of read - in light of all the real world negativity I enjoy a true escape to the fun side & light reads 

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

StewiesMom:  I think you won't be waiting too much longer for 

Vixen 

It will be to you in no time  . . . then the hard part of 'do I open early?'

can I put it down before the schedule starts . . . . .  hum m m m 

I have had mine for 24 hours & already want to put school work on the back burner and pick up the book - yet I dare do it

Correspondent
southrnbella
0 Kudos

yay!! i recieved my book yesterday...im so excited, and the cover is so gorgeous in person...

right now im starting sisters red by jackson pearce and also rachel caines morganvilles series

Sisters Red 

The Morganville Vampires (Morganville Vampires Series #1 & 2)  

The Morganville Vampires, Volume 2  

Peace n Page Turners
http://live2lovebooks.blogspot.com/
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Atreyu59 wrote:

What is with all the 'demonic & witchcraft' books & followings?

I imagine that with the popularity of Harry Potter & the like these type of books and the overall genre has become more fascinating but I don't get with the interest & cult type following of this type of read.

I prefer a upbeat, positive type of read - in light of all the real world negativity I enjoy a true escape to the fun side & light reads 

Hi Atreyu59, I love my UF/Paranormal,as much as my other books..Certain  UF/Paranorma,,lAuthors for me are amazing writers ,Nicole Peeler, Karen Moning,etc Along with Fiction writers such as Erin Hart,John Irving,and Jennifer Crusie,,,All completely different styles./genres.as well as YA writers who are so talented ..Becca Fitzpatrick,Jessica Brody,Sara Gruen..Such a fine line is drawn..My Cozyish books "Truly,Madly,Deeply,Desperately  Author Heather Webber.     Author,.Maggie Sefton,.To name only  a few,  our lists grow Daily here.....What are your Favorite Authors?  Its nice to know what others are reading...Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
smurfyabs
0 Kudos

I got my copy this morning! I'm very excited to start this book. The cover is beautiful. 

I started at the beginning of the Devine series by P.C Cast a few days ago and am enjoying that right now. 

Divine by Mistake (Devine Series) 

I enjoy lots of different genres and will read just about anything that is recommended to me.

Correspondent
StewiesMom
0 Kudos

So, I've decided to re-read Beautiful Creatures again while waiting for my book to arrive!  I'm enjoying it as much as I did the first time I read it.

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**
Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

My copy of Vixen arrived today and I want to get started even though it is a physical book (love ebooks and my Nook.) I am going to wait until I finish the book I'm reading on the Nook before starting Vixen.

Hunt Through the Cradle of Fear 

I liked the first book in the series better (and right now it is free), but this one isn't bad. Since each book, so far, is written by a different person it is possible I just prefer the first author's writing style. (I had this problem with a series of books I read as a kid; two authors switched back and forth under one pen name and I hated one of them. At least the one I preferred wrote most of the middle set of the series, my favorite part.) I think the chases and fights were slightly less outlandish in the first Hunt book, very slightly, though part of the reason I like these books so far is they are so unrealistic and ridiculous. None of these chases hold a candle to a slow car chase across Europe in Mary Stewart's classic Madam, Will You Talk?

Madam, Will You Talk? 

While I love the scenery on the new print run of her books, the old 50s and 60s covers with the woman running, looking back over her shoulder were hilariously awful and I loved them. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

I did hold out, Susan. And, yes, I am amazed too! I guess it pays to have more than enough books to read. LOL

Vermontcozy wrote:

Donna;;Let us know if you can hold out today..I will look for your post tomorrow..;  ) Susan...

DSaff wrote:

I haven't opened the book yet, but it is calling!!!

Vermontcozy wrote:

DSaff wrote:

I haven't seen the weekly break down yet. If you have, could you let me know please?  :smileywink:

Vermontcozy wrote:

I was so surprised when I returned home to see The BN Package leaning against my door.I  am in VT , so we should all have our books soon..  ; ) .Donna the schedule is posted..I just saw it...I am tempted,but like to read  just a little closer to the date...Best Susan...

Donna I think you are right We need The Weekly, to schedule our other books..not just discuss the whole book,because of how its written....We will watch for it..I did read the First Chapter..I just had to : ) Did you? Susan

Ok Donna,I well understand I have done the same. and still do.....  "Anticpation"..Carly Simon..I give you by Friday..lol..The schedule should be up by then? Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Reader 2
TrishW_fic
0 Kudos

Now I just have to finish the books I am reading, Fallen and Torment, and then I will be able to start Vixen. 

Inspired Contributor
BooksToTheCeiling

I got my copy of Vixen today and am excited to start reading it. Which I will right after I finish reading To Fetch A Thief by Spencer Quinn.

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

StewiesMom, did you see that 

Beautiful Darkness, the sequel to Beautiful Creatures, was released this month? I have it checked out of the library, but I have a few in the queue before I get to it (have to read Skippy Dies first, which is due sooner, and I might read the new Rick Riordan book The Lost Hero first as well....) 

StewiesMom wrote:

So, I've decided to re-read Beautiful Creatures again while waiting for my book to arrive!  I'm enjoying it as much as I did the first time I read it.

Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

Started Reading!

Ok I couldn't wait anymore and have already read 5 chapters!! This is by far one of the best so far in my opinion....great pick guys! I can't put this book down but I know I should because we still have two weeks until the discussion starts....uhhh what should I do, continue reading (I could easily finish this book by the end of the week) or hold out...ahhh decisions decisions :smileyhappy:
Correspondent
TudorRose
0 Kudos

Re: NaNoWriMo and Arriving Books

Hi everyone,

I just registered too.  My screen name there is kgiffin.  I've never participated before so I'm a little nervous, but I have wanted to for a few years, so I think it will be a lot of fun!  I am looking forward to it.  :smileyhappy:

blkeyesuzi wrote:

chelseamaya wrote:

I'm registered as well, my name there is xtastethesky (I'll go add you as buddies xD).  I participated last year and won, which I was really excited about.  It's not as bad as it looks, but it's not easy either. 

DSaff wrote:

I have registered, but am a total novice at this, krb2g. Any help would be appreciated and I would love friends there too. I am DSafford there.  :smileywink:

krb2g wrote:

Chelseamaya, DSaff, and anyone else who's doing (or thinking about doing) NaNoWriMo--it's a lot of fun! If you want to be friends on those boards, I'm krb2g there too.

Hi you guys! I'm registered there, too!  I also participated last year, however my father-in-law wound up in the hospital and I had to spend most of my time with family obligations.  This year will be better.  I'm going to achieve my goal this year no matter what.  I have the same name at NanoWriMo as here.  I would love to have moral support from your guys and of course I'm willing to give it, too. xo

Kimberly from Ohio

"A room without a book is like a body without a soul"
~Marcus Tullius Cicero
Contributor
Lavasoap
0 Kudos

How is Sisters Red? I thought it looked interesting.

Contributor
terilhack
0 Kudos

Yeah I am in Oregon and no book yet :smileywink: No fair East Coasters! Getting to read early:smileywink:

TeriC
New User
FangedAngel03
0 Kudos

My book came today !!! Can't wait to read and discuss. Thanks for the opportunity !!!!! 

Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

Re: Previous First Look, YA First Look, and Sneak Peek books

DSaff wrote:

You are right. It should say Dec. 2008.   :smileyhappy:

scnole wrote:

A Fortunate Age is out of order.   It was early in 2009 - can't remember the exact month but I know it wasn't December of 2009.

Thanks for providing us the list. 

DSaff wrote:

Hi, Everyone. I have kept a list of the previous FL, YAFL, and SP books and thought I would post it as a recommendation of these books and authors. I have been in all the discussions except for two (Oct. '09 had two selections, and I missed "Hush, Hush"). If I have missed any or have the timing wrong, please let me know. I love looking back at these and remembering the group and author discussions!

First Look Listing

December – The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

January – The Sister by Poppy Adams

February – The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff

March – Songs for the Missing by Stewart O’Nan

October – The Believers by Zoe Heller and

The Mighty Queens of Freeville by Amy Dickinson

February – Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead

April – The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

June – Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan

August – Under This Unbroken Sky by Shandi Mitchell

October – The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

December – A Fortunate Age by Joanna S. Rakoff

January – Eternal on the Water by Joseph Monninger

March – The Poacher’s Son by Paul Doiron

June – The Writing Circle by Corinne Demas

September – The Wake of Forgiveness by Bruce Machart

Teen First Look

August, 2009 -Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

February, 2010Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

October, 2010 - Crescendo  by Becca Fitzpatrick

November, 2010 - Vixen by Jillian Larkin

Sneak Peek

December, 2009 - Truly, Madly by Heather Weber

March, 2010 - Seized by Max Hardberger

August, 2010 – Antiphon by Ken Scholes

Yes, thanks for posting this list.  (more books to add to my list....)

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: NaNoWriMo and Arriving Books

Please feel free to add me to your list! We'll be newbies together.   :smileyhappy:

TudorRose wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just registered too.  My screen name there is kgiffin.  I've never participated before so I'm a little nervous, but I have wanted to for a few years, so I think it will be a lot of fun!  I am looking forward to it.  :smileyhappy:

blkeyesuzi wrote:

chelseamaya wrote:

I'm registered as well, my name there is xtastethesky (I'll go add you as buddies xD).  I participated last year and won, which I was really excited about.  It's not as bad as it looks, but it's not easy either. 

DSaff wrote:

I have registered, but am a total novice at this, krb2g. Any help would be appreciated and I would love friends there too. I am DSafford there.  :smileywink:

krb2g wrote:

Chelseamaya, DSaff, and anyone else who's doing (or thinking about doing) NaNoWriMo--it's a lot of fun! If you want to be friends on those boards, I'm krb2g there too.

Hi you guys! I'm registered there, too!  I also participated last year, however my father-in-law wound up in the hospital and I had to spend most of my time with family obligations.  This year will be better.  I'm going to achieve my goal this year no matter what.  I have the same name at NanoWriMo as here.  I would love to have moral support from your guys and of course I'm willing to give it, too. xo

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I do think I will start the book this weekend, Susan.  :smileywink:

Vermontcozy wrote:

DSaff wrote:

I did hold out, Susan. And, yes, I am amazed too! I guess it pays to have more than enough books to read. LOL

Vermontcozy wrote:

Donna;;Let us know if you can hold out today..I will look for your post tomorrow..;  ) Susan...

DSaff wrote:

I haven't opened the book yet, but it is calling!!!

Vermontcozy wrote:

DSaff wrote:

I haven't seen the weekly break down yet. If you have, could you let me know please?  :smileywink:

Vermontcozy wrote:

I was so surprised when I returned home to see The BN Package leaning against my door.I  am in VT , so we should all have our books soon..  ; ) .Donna the schedule is posted..I just saw it...I am tempted,but like to read  just a little closer to the date...Best Susan...

Donna I think you are right We need The Weekly, to schedule our other books..not just discuss the whole book,because of how its written....We will watch for it..I did read the First Chapter..I just had to : ) Did you? Susan

Ok Donna,I well understand I have done the same. and still do.....  "Anticpation"..Carly Simon..I give you by Friday..lol..The schedule should be up by then? Susan

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com