dhaupt

Re: Community Room

KiwiMerrill wrote:

Hey ya'll! I'm looking for some new books to read. I've just bought Daughters of the Witching Hill for my nook, so I'm hoping that I like it. But other than that, I've mostly been reading a lot of young adult fiction. Nothing wrong with that, but I want to branch out a little, read more than just one genre, so to say. Um, I like science fiction. I am currently re-reading the Anita Blake series. I've read all of Tamora Pierce and Terry Brooks. Most of Jane Lindskold. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've recently discovered that I like historical fiction too. I've read The Mistress of the Art of Death series.

Thanks!

Hi Kiwi, I hope you love Daughters of the Witching Hill too and don't forget to come by the General Fiction club and chat about it with us. The author Mary Sharratt will be visiting the General Fiction Book Club starting Monday and will be with us for the rest of the month.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/bd-p/FictGeneral

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, KiwiMerrill! So many books to choose from. <grin> Here are just a few suggestions:

"A Scent of Rain and Lightning" by Nancy Pickard (The first book I read on my Nook.)

"The Physic Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katherine Howe

any of Philippa Gregory's historical fiction

anything by David Eddings (like Terry Brooks)

Spencer Quinn's books are fun too (i.e. "Thereby Hangs a Tail)

Happy Reading!  :smileyhappy:

KiwiMerrill wrote:

Hey ya'll! I'm looking for some new books to read. I've just bought Daughters of the Witching Hill for my nook, so I'm hoping that I like it. But other than that, I've mostly been reading a lot of young adult fiction. Nothing wrong with that, but I want to branch out a little, read more than just one genre, so to say. Um, I like science fiction. I am currently re-reading the Anita Blake series. I've read all of Tamora Pierce and Terry Brooks. Most of Jane Lindskold. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've recently discovered that I like historical fiction too. I've read The Mistress of the Art of Death series.

Thanks!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
KiwiMerrill

Thanks so much DSaff! After Daughters I will be looking into those. :smileyvery-happy:

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
KateBrianIsAwesome
0 Kudos

Hey everyone! 

Well I've noticed that a lot of you have been talking about Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. I too got the chance to participate in the First Look discussion of Before I Fall, and LOVED it also. Right now I'm reading her second book Delirium (for review on my blog), and its just as amazing as her debut! So definitely be on the look out next Feb. for Delirium! But who knows maybe Barnes and Noble will surprise everyone by making Delirium their selection for the next First Look or Sneak Peek book club. I was really surprised that they made Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick the Teen Sneak Peek book of October. 

Delirium

Reading can only make you more happy and smarter. :smileyhappy:

Visit my blog at http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/

- Mallory
Correspondent
StewiesMom
0 Kudos

You may want to try Jim Butcher, if you haven't done so already.  He writes the Harry Dresden books.  My husband enjoyed the Anita Blake series and he really liked this series, too.

KiwiMerrill wrote:

Thanks!

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

KateBrianIsAwesome wrote:

Hey everyone! 

Well I've noticed that a lot of you have been talking about Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. I too got the chance to participate in the First Look discussion of Before I Fall, and LOVED it also. Right now I'm reading her second book Delirium (for review on my blog), and its just as amazing as her debut! So definitely be on the look out next Feb. for Delirium! But who knows maybe Barnes and Noble will surprise everyone by making Delirium their selection for the next First Look or Sneak Peek book club. I was really surprised that they made Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick the Teen Sneak Peek book of October. 

Delirium

Before I Fall was such a good book. My daughter and I both loved it.

Correspondent
TudorRose
0 Kudos

Just started reading...

A Separate Country 

Hopefully, I will get most of it finished before the big brown truck gets here.  I hope it won't be too much longer.  I can't wait to start reading and discussing. "Vixen".

Kimberly from Ohio

"A room without a book is like a body without a soul"
~Marcus Tullius Cicero
Contributor
AncientEgyptianQueen
0 Kudos

I totally loved your quote! How true that is.

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama

I'm finally reading "Anna Karenina" and really enjoying it.

Anna Karenina (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  anna

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes, Debbie, I want the entire book club October schedule, although now I'll wait for the November schedule, cuz the 34th International Film Festival of São Paulo ( this is where I am from ) goes from Oct. 22nd to Nov. 4th., and I will be very busy with this from next week on .

Thanks, your post is helpful. I'll have a look at the threads.

Oh, and thanks also for the link !!!!

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008

Hi, KiwiMerrill,

If you have recently found out that you also like historical fiction, you've gotta read

The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. 

by Sandra Gulland. It is Josephine Bonaparte's diary and she has two more volumes:

Tales Of Passion Tales Of Woe 

and

The Last Great Dance on Earth 

Because they were first published in 1999-2000, I'm sure you can find very inexpensive copies of them. Hope you enjoy them.

Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

I feel a little guilty and traitorous towards my nook now...while a lot of people on this board are much more familiar with their nook, mine stares at me from under a pillow in a corner of my room while i read paper books! Lol ;] After reading these i think imma get off the computer and go turn it on and read some of the free classic books i snagged those weeks ago! Its just hard for me to get around to using it since I'm in school and can't bring it to school-so my mom usually steals it now...its practically hers when she does her researches and finds an ebook she likes. Since I'm on vacation you all sort of inspired me to go and pick it up again-at least for a week before school starts again.

----------------------------------------------
Contributor
KiwiMerrill
0 Kudos

Wow. Why can't you take it to school?
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
RS18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone!

Currently, I'm reading Crescendo. I missed out on the sneak peek :smileysad: so I just bought it from B&N yesterday.

Crescendo

Before this, I read the Immortals series (Evermore, Blue Moon, Shadowland, and Dark Flame). I loved Evermore, but did not feel the same way towards Blue Moon and Shadowland. I felt like those two books really dragged on. Dark Flame is much better, but I still think Evermore is the best of the four. I really love the lead male, Damen Auguste! I really like Alyson Noel's writing. I read all four books within a week. I'd highly recommend reading Evermore!

Evermore (Immortals Series #1)  

Blue Moon (Immortals Series #2)  

Shadowland (Immortals Series #3)  

Dark Flame (Immortals Series #4)

I'm also in the middle of reading the Vampire Academy series. I have read Vampire Academy, Frostbite, and Shadow Kiss. I have ordered Blood Promise and Spirit Bound, and cannot wait for them to arrive in the mail.

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy Series #1)

Frostbite (Vampire Academy Series #2)  

Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy Series #3), Vol. 3  

Blood Promise (Vampire Academy Series #4)  

Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy Series #5)

After reading these books, I'd really love to read Fallen and Torment by Lauren Kate. They seem to be very interesting books. I LOVE the cover of Torment! Have any of you read Fallen and Torment? What are your thoughts on the books?

Fallen (Lauren Kate's Fallen Series #1)  

Torment (Lauren Kate's Fallen Series #2)

Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

KiwiMerrill wrote:
Wow. Why can't you take it to school?

Because it will probably get lost or stolen or broken. And electronics arent allowed out during classes.

----------------------------------------------
Inspired Contributor
shmy
0 Kudos

Rumors (Luxe Series #2)

dhaupt
0 Kudos

bookrooted wrote:

I feel a little guilty and traitorous towards my nook now...while a lot of people on this board are much more familiar with their nook, mine stares at me from under a pillow in a corner of my room while i read paper books! Lol ;] After reading these i think imma get off the computer and go turn it on and read some of the free classic books i snagged those weeks ago! Its just hard for me to get around to using it since I'm in school and can't bring it to school-so my mom usually steals it now...its practically hers when she does her researches and finds an ebook she likes. Since I'm on vacation you all sort of inspired me to go and pick it up again-at least for a week before school starts again.

I am totally in your shoes except my nook looks at me from a shelf in my sitting room/library.

I really only bought mine because one of the publications I review for only gives it's reviewers e-reads so it was either that, read the whole book on screen ugh or empty forests by printing them, so I broke down and bought a nook.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Books are arriving!

Books are arriving, so if yours hasn't come yet, it will be there soon! My copy was here when I got home and I am in Western MA. Though I am tempted, I don't dare open it until the schedule is out. <grin>

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Books are arriving!

I was so surprised when I returned home to see The BN Package leaning against my door.I  am in VT , so we should all have our books soon..  ; ) .Donna the schedule is posted..I just saw it...I am tempted,but like to read  just a little closer to the date...Best Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Correspondent
StewiesMom
0 Kudos

Re: Books are arriving!

I'm on the west coast.  I'm feeling a little envious about the delivery to you east coasters!  Soon, soon!

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**