Author
Jillian-Larkin

Dear First Look Group

Dear Readers,

I am so very excited to share my passion for the flapper era with you in my debut novel, Vixen.

My love for cloche hats, hot jazz, and the Charleston goes back to almost before I can remember.  My mom used to be a drama teacher and is a very artistic person overall. So aside from the Disney classics, my sisters and I grew up on movie musicals like West Side Story, My Fair Lady, and The Sound of Music. My favorite, though, was always Thoroughly Modern Millie with Julie Andrews and Carol Channing. The story and music were both delightfully fun—but what I most enjoyed were the gorgeous clothes and independent attitudes of the 1920s women. Girls were just beginning to feel comfortable with who they were and who they wanted to become, and learning how to broadcast their independence in a very visible way. This kind of self-confidence—the “Flapper Strength”—is something that motivated me throughout my own teen years and still to this day. My obsessive love of Thoroughly Modern Millie helped spark a love of the Jazz Age that would last my whole life.

Film has always served as a huge inspiration in my writing. Another early love of mine was Annie Hall. I thought Annie was the most fantastic character. She was smart, funny, and made me want to start wearing suits. Her job as a nightclub singer made me all the more eager to pursue musical theater. And it got me wondering what it would be like to sing in a club with only a band behind me and a roaring crowd in front. Later, once I realized I wanted to write books more than I wanted to be on Broadway, I fled from my small town to New York City. During my senior year at NYU, I interned at The Hollywood Reporter and learned that Baz Luhrmann was planning to adapt The Great Gatsby. Rereading Gatsby and imagining what one of my favorite directors might do with Gatsby’s wild parties got the wheels turning on Vixen. 

I hope you enjoy following Gloria, Lorraine, and Clara through Vixen as they chase their dreams and some dizzyingly handsome boys—while sporting some pretty delicious-looking dresses! And I hope that you see a little of yourselves in their story—their joys and their struggles—and are inspired to live life to the fullest.  If you have even a fraction as much fun reading it as I did writing it, I’ll be delighted. Thank you for reading—I can’t wait to discuss Vixen with all of you over the next few weeks.

Best wishes,

Jillian        

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Dear First Look Group

Hi Jillian! Welcome to the First Look group. I look forward to reading and discussing the book with the group and with you. Thank you for the opportunity to read the book and for sharing your "baby" with us.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thanks for the Intro Jillian and I will enjoy following the girls of the novel as well as sharing with my fellow members

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Hello Jillian!

Thanks so much for the FL at Vixen.  I love reading your Bio & where you found your inspiration to write & "live out" the novel & the high-stepping times during the roaring '20's.  I too grew up listening to those classic, sassy jazz songs, even remember the one time going to what we labelled a "speak-easy" of our times.  My family loved to talk about 'those days' and the forbidden fruit of their days.

I look forward to the book & dialogue that stems from it.

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Thank you Jillian for the opportunity to preview Vixen.  It's always nice to get an insight into the driving force behind an author's story.  I look forward to discussing your book with you and all the other FLers.

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Contributor
MissRabbit
0 Kudos

This book is outside my preferred genre and I couldn't be more excited to read it! I've never been in a book club before, online or otherwise, and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to discuss this book everyone. 

Can't wait to start reading!! Thanks for giving us the first look, Jillian! 

Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Jillian,

Welcome to the group and thank you for the "back story".  It's always so nice to know the inspiration and the motivation for an author's ultimate creation.

I'm definitely looking forward to more discussion as the story unwinds.

Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Correspondent
1archi1
0 Kudos

Jillian, thank you so much for giving us this opportunity to read you debut novel.  I can't wait to dive into Vixen and discuss with my fellow First Lookers.

:smileyhappy:
Contributor
Infinitely
0 Kudos

Thanks Jillian for giving us the opportunity to be the first sample what looks to be an amazing book!  If your book is half as interesting as your bio is, I know I'm going to enjoy it immensely!!  Can't wait to start reading it and discussing it with you!  Makes it nice to know that I can ask all the questions I know I will have and actually get some answers instead of wondering :smileytongue:

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Welcome, I can't wait for the discussions to begin.  Thanks for the background information on you and your story. 

Contributor
I_heart_you
0 Kudos

Just wanted to say I am very excited to be able to participate in this FL. I am trying very hard to resist picking your book up. I want to wait and read on schedule, but your cover and description are so alluring, it's hard to keep my mitts off it for now!

I'm a geek and I love it!
Contributor
ScrappyMama
0 Kudos

Hello Jillian!  I too absolutely love the 1920's.  I sit and look at pictures of my great-grandmother from that time and just wonder what it would have been like to live then.  Flappers have always been of interest to me for as far as I can remember.  I am so excited to be a part of this First Look! 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Jillian,

Welcome to the group. I did start reading a little. It was great and I want to keep reading. This will be a book that is hard to put down. I had to stop til the schedule came out. What a page turner!

Luanne

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Jillian, Thank you so much for sharing Vixen with us here at FL! The book sounds delicious and I am so excited to get started reading and then discussing it here!

Contributor
Cacciatrice09
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian!  Thank you for sharing your book with us!!  I was very excited to receive it and be able to read it.  Your background on the book is great and, yes I have to admit that I too have started reading but am still waiting for the schedule to post before discussing, this one truly is a page turner.  Thanks again!  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Lblaze
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian!

Thank you so much indeed for sharing your book and insights with us! I just received my book and cannot wait to get started.  Looking forward to reading and discussing more!

Inspired Contributor
tweezle
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian! It's so nice to "meet" you. I look forward to reading and discussing "Vixen" in the weeks ahead.

Theresa

“Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” - Mason Cooley
**3 NOOKS with 3 separate accounts in one household.**
Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

Jillian,

I first have to say that it has been quite some time since I have been this excited and interested in a book. I have already started reading this novel and am half way through and it is fantastic! I love how this is only the first novel in the series, I can't wait until the others come out and I haven't even finished reading yet. Thanks so much for sharing with us and keep up the good work! You will definitely be hearing from me during this discussion.

Huge Fan,

Danielle from Jersey, but now lives in Chicago haha:smileyhappy:

Correspondent
TudorRose
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian!

Thanks so much for sharing your novel with the FL group.  I can't wait to begin the discussion with you and the other members.  I am already intrigued with the book after only a few chapters!  Congratulations and best wishes for your future endeavors!

Kimberly from Ohio

Kimberly from Ohio

"A room without a book is like a body without a soul"
~Marcus Tullius Cicero
Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian!

I also wanted to thank you for sharing your book with us. I haven't started it yet, but can't wait to get started on it.