Contributor
LorettaP
0 Kudos

Re: Dear First Look Group

Hello Jillian.

I have finished my copy of Vixen. I tried to keep pace with the group but found myself not being able to put the book down. I am looking forward to the release of Ingenue in 2011.

Inspired Correspondent
ponkle

Hi Jillian

I just wanted to thank you for writing a book that drew me into the flapper era, an era I don't usually read. I watch movies on the era but it is not usually a read for me. Also I think this book has a broad audience for it. It's not just a teen read. As a 58 year old I thoroughly enjoyed it :smileyhappy:

Contributor
katemac08
0 Kudos

thanks for letting us read this!  Just getting started and looking forward to it!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi ponkle  I must agree..Such a fine line exists between some TeenReads,YABooks.,Adult Fiction..Especially with "Vixen"..Its such an enjoyable,historical book..And the "Coming of Age".,rebelious aspect is more then I expected....I am always looking for books for family and friends of so many different ages..Great Series....Susan

ponkle wrote:

Hi Jillian

I just wanted to thank you for writing a book that drew me into the flapper era, an era I don't usually read. I watch movies on the era but it is not usually a read for me. Also I think this book has a broad audience for it. It's not just a teen read. As a 58 year old I thoroughly enjoyed it :smileyhappy:

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Hello Jillian,

May I add my thanks to you for sharing this story with us. Absolutely, positively one of the most enjoyable reads.

Aine, Born and raised in Chicago now in PA.

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Contributor
goobersmom57
0 Kudos

Hello, and thank you! I just finished reading Vixen last night...I am totally bummed that it ended, I am not entirely sure that I can wait for the next book in the series. I must say that I enjoyed this book thoroughly, and I think it will attract a wide range of readers. I am busy working on a review that will do your book some justice without giving anything away!  

S. Mathews
Frequent Contributor
cubicleblindnessKM
0 Kudos

I'm really excited because I just got confirmed for the next first look book "3 Seconds"  (I think that's what it's called ) as well! How do I add you as a friend on here? Im going to try :smileywink: I really like the Main Character in Vixen, and I rented Thoroughly Modern Milly from NetFlix and it really added to the effect of reading the book. Are you a member of Librarything or GoodReads?

Contributor
bmxmom
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for sharing this book with us!  I am super excited to start reading more.  Between kids and work I have little time but... now is my time!  Can't wait to see how this unfolds!

New User
nikki_ikkin
0 Kudos

Thank you for the first look at Vixen. I also like the twenties and the thirties and reading your inspiration for the story was lovely. I am looking forward to getting to discuss the book with you and get further into it.

Thanks!

Contributor
cosbie
0 Kudos

Hello!!

I am def enjoying this book! It's right up my alley :smileyhappy: I am really looking forward to finishing up the book and then the series, it will be hard to wait!!

"I carry your heart with me, I carry it in my heart."
-E.E. Cummins
Frequent Contributor
vpenning
0 Kudos

I am really enjoying this book. I think you have penned some very believable and rich characters that have brought the story to life. I am looking forward to continued reading and discussing this book...and perhaps the next one as well. (I think you may have a new fan!)

Contributor
blue_sunshine
0 Kudos

Jillian,

What an incredible debut! Wow. Definitely one of my favorite books for 2010 - and I don't usually read books in this era because they don't really interest me but you definitely turned this around for me. Your book is addictive and perfect. That's the best way I can describe it. I loved how the plot is a tangled web of sorts incorporating all the main characters. The plot, characters, setting, clothing, descriptions are wonderful. Thanks for being a part of First Look or I never would have had the pleasure of reading your book! Vixen is my next pre-order! I can't wait to pre-order Ingenue and read it too! You are my favorite debut author for 2010!

Contributor
Myrtlemay
0 Kudos

Hello Jillian!

I am so happy to be reading your book. I am a huge advocate for young adult reading material. I am finding that your book is very accessible to the teenage reading and is "connecting" with the modern day teen. I say this knowing that at 22, I am not a teenager nor do I pretend to know what a teen connects too. Culture is moving too fast and things have change so much in just the 5 years I have been out of high school. I do know that teens/ YA do appreciate characters they can relate too!

Thank you for the read!

Mary

Reader 2
DanaLou15
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian!  I am so appreciative of the fact that I am able to participate in this ARC of Vixen.  I have enjoyed this book so much and am anxiously awaiting Ingénue.  Historical Fiction is one of my loves.

I am also excited because this is a book that I can discuss with my 16 yr. old daughter.  I love when we read a book that we are both interested in.  

Thank you!

Contributor
History32
0 Kudos

Thank you for the first look at Vixen. I love the twenties and the thirties and reading about the inspiration for the book was great.  I am looking forward to getting to discuss the book with you and get further into it.

Thanks!

Contributor
SeaLue
0 Kudos

Hello Jillian,

I'm still reading Vixen, but I just wanted to say that I am loving it so far.  I was intrigued by the subject matter since the flapper culture really hasn't been looked at with a modern eye in teen fiction.  Nice break from vampires :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

I couldn't stop myself. I read the whole thing! And I absolutely loved the descriptions of the girls' dresses.

I've always been drawn to the flapper period, too. In the fifth grade, we had a talent show, and about half a dozen of us did the Charleston. I wore a dress with bouncy fringe added to it. We have a picture of me putting on my lipstick.

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Dear Jillian:

I wanted to thank you for writing such a wonderful book. I so enjoyed this book, the time wrap to the 1920 at a time that the clothes were so gorgeous. Your characters and you writing about each of the girls, Gloria, Lorraine, and Clara. Showing us how they each chase their dreams and the young man in their lives. I so enjoy movies of the time period, and it draw me into the story right away. So I wanted to say best wish on a job well done on your very first novel.

Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian, it's really good to meet you and I am enjoying your book tremendously.  I am reading the posts and they are all good and lend a hand at everyone's feelings about what is going on and to me it is really great to read because I heard so much about this era from my Mom who lived some of it.  As you can probably tell, I definitely am not a YA but still reading these types of books from time to time, and this one has really caught me!

"Open a book and the world is yours"
Contributor
scuddednimbus
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian,

Finally had time to really delve into the book and am enjoying it. I wanted to echo the sentiments that others shared here. I'm excited to see how it all unfolds.