Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
cubicleblindnessKM
0 Kudos

Re: Dear First Look Group

If we catch errors in the book, should we say so? I found a small one on page 169 3rd paragraph down 2nd sentence says "Clara was about to beep her horn" but it should say Lorraine was about to beep her horn. It's when Lorraine goes to Gloria's house and find's her sneaking out with the car, Clara is not in this part. 

Frequent Contributor
cubicleblindnessKM
0 Kudos

I think I found another one top of page 171. Lorraine is looking for a change of clothes in her own car and says marguerite left gloria's mother's drycleaning in the back, and luckily her mother did not dress like mrs carmody. But gloria's mother is mrs carmody. was it supposed to say that margurite left Lorraine's mother's clothes in the back of the car or are they maguruite's mother's clothes in the back?

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

We don't need to worry about any errors we find because the copies we have are still going through revisions and proofing. ARC's are uncorrected proofs available for review.

CubicleBlindness wrote:

If we catch errors in the book, should we say so? I found a small one on page 169 3rd paragraph down 2nd sentence says "Clara was about to beep her horn" but it should say Lorraine was about to beep her horn. It's when Lorraine goes to Gloria's house and find's her sneaking out with the car, Clara is not in this part. 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

does these errors really get caught during the revisions?  I often wonder as well....

Dsaff wrote:

We don't need to worry about any errors we find because the copies we have are still going through revisions and proofing. ARC's are uncorrected proofs available for review.

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Most of them seem to, at least in the books I have read. :smileywink:

Atreyu59 wrote:

does these errors really get caught during the revisions?  I often wonder as well....

Dsaff wrote:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

In my most humble opinion, I believe it can do no harm to make mention of "errors" in First Look books. Yes, there are proofreaders but an extra pair of "eyes" may see something others have missed.

Aine

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

Atreyu59 wrote:

Hello Jillian!

Thanks so much for the FL at Vixen.  I love reading your Bio & where you found your inspiration to write & "live out" the novel & the high-stepping times during the roaring '20's.  I too grew up listening to those classic, sassy jazz songs, even remember the one time going to what we labelled a "speak-easy" of our times.  My family loved to talk about 'those days' and the forbidden fruit of their days.

I look forward to the book & dialogue that stems from it.

Hi! Oh, I love meeting other Jazz Age enthusiasts.  As may be apparent from the book, Bessie Smith and Marion Harris are two of my great loves. I told a friend in my freshman year of college than I loved Billie Holiday and she said, "You have to listen to Bessie Smith. That's where it all started."  And I've been in love with her ever since. I love speakeasy-style bars--there are so many great ones in New York.  The bar right around the corner from me is actually called "The Speakeasy" :smileyhappy:

P.S. Is your name on here referring to The Neverending Story? If so, that's awesome. The movie and book were cornerstones of my childhood.

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

AIRKNITTER wrote:

In my most humble opinion, I believe it can do no harm to make mention of "errors" in First Look books. Yes, there are proofreaders but an extra pair of "eyes" may see something others have missed.

Aine

Hello, guys. Just thought I'd weigh in on this. When I first started doing internships in publishing, I too was shocked to notice all the errors in ARCs. But as a few of you have pointed out, it's fairly common. This isn't the final copy of the book--more editing is being done prior to publication. Thank God for wonderful copy editors who have the distance to see what I often can't. I'm a decent proof-reader but not of my own work. My mind fills in what SHOULD be there instead of what it actually says.

So understand that a lot of these errors have already been revised away. But definitely feel free to point out errors you spot.  As AIRKNITTER says, an extra pair of keen eyes is always welcome!

Frequent Contributor
gackie
0 Kudos

I just want to chime in and say Vixen is a wonderful book and I will be running out to buy Ingenue the second it comes out.
Thank you Ms. Larkin for such a great read!

Contributor
scuddednimbus
0 Kudos

I finished the book yesterday, I couldn't help it! I really wanted to know how everything unfolded. I was disappointed at the end, not knowing what will happen next, but then I realized that there will be a second book coming out. (:

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

Atreyu59 wrote:

Hello Jillian!

Thanks so much for the FL at Vixen.  I love reading your Bio & where you found your inspiration to write & "live out" the novel & the high-stepping times during the roaring '20's.  I too grew up listening to those classic, sassy jazz songs, even remember the one time going to what we labelled a "speak-easy" of our times.  My family loved to talk about 'those days' and the forbidden fruit of their days.

I look forward to the book & dialogue that stems from it.

Hi! Oh, I love meeting other Jazz Age enthusiasts.  As may be apparent from the book, Bessie Smith and Marion Harris are two of my great loves. I told a friend in my freshman year of college than I loved Billie Holiday and she said, "You have to listen to Bessie Smith. That's where it all started."  And I've been in love with her ever since. I love speakeasy-style bars--there are so many great ones in New York.  The bar right around the corner from me is actually called "The Speakeasy" :smileyhappy:

P.S. Is your name on here referring to The Neverending Story? If so, that's awesome. The movie and book were cornerstones of my childhood.

Hi Jillian  Just thought I would Welcome you to our World Of Your Book"Vixen"..Little did I know how involved I would become in the story,and "Ingénue: will be a great follow up for us...I am a John Coltrane fan and listen to him in my house,my car  He just sets the mood...I have not finished.."Vixen".(Part Two).I will though this week..I must Know what happens..As a transplanted NYorker..Living in Vt..I do recall all the "After Hour Clubs"..and wild times lol..That was in the 70's and 80's..Much Success with "Vixen" and the series..We will be there when its released....BTW  Sarah-W  Our Moderator is wonderful,as you can tell by her great questions..And An exceptional turnout by the BN Readers..Seems like "Vixen has taken over BN...Susan Vtc...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Jillian - thanks so much for your comment on my 'bookclub name' - - > it is indeed referencing The Neverending Story - I still see the dragon, the princess, and the nothing in my visions.  Love that story - -holds true for the 'kid' in all of us; reading a book and being swept away into the book, etc.

Love the jazz era and listen to it all the time.  

Glad to have enjoyed the book and became one with the characters too!

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

you and I will be in the line buying the book at the same time  <grin>

:smileywink:

gackie stated:

I just want to chime in and say Vixen is a wonderful book and I will be running out to buy Ingenue the second it comes out.

Inspired Contributor
nadine1
0 Kudos

CubicleBlindness wrote:

I think I found another one top of page 171. Lorraine is looking for a change of clothes in her own car and says marguerite left gloria's mother's drycleaning in the back, and luckily her mother did not dress like mrs carmody. But gloria's mother is mrs carmody. was it supposed to say that margurite left Lorraine's mother's clothes in the back of the car or are they maguruite's mother's clothes in the back?

Yes, I noticed this discrepancy, too.

Contributor
Grape_Ape
0 Kudos

Can't we just have another First Look with Ingenue?  :smileywink:

Atreyu59 wrote:

you and I will be in the line buying the book at the same time  <grin>

:smileywink:

gackie stated:

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Having Ingenue as a FL selection would be grand.  Yet, if the reasoning behind the selections are to determine if the book will be a hit or to feel the pulse of the reading public then you already know you have most of us hooked on your book, therefore you may not gain any -critical- input because we love it already!

Grape_Ape        .          .          .        .Can't we just have another First Look with Ingenue?  

Inspired Contributor
suzebomb54
0 Kudos

First of all, I want to say that I really enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading more in the series as they come out.

My other comment is regarding the First Look Book Club badges that have been posted for other books in the past. Is B&N not creating these badges any more? Or have I just missed the last few?

Thanks!

"So many books, so little time"

Susan
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Susan. There haven't been any FL badges in a while, but I hope they make a comeback, maybe even for the next one!  :smileyhappy:

suzebomb54 wrote:

First of all, I want to say that I really enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading more in the series as they come out.

My other comment is regarding the First Look Book Club badges that have been posted for other books in the past. Is B&N not creating these badges any more? Or have I just missed the last few?

Thanks!

Scribe
ReadingPatti

Jillian-Larkin, I just finished you book, Vixen. I loved it. I think that the book could have been set in any time. So revalent for today. It shows young adults wanting to break free from their parents and find their way in the world. Whatever that may be.

I an anixous to read the next one in the series.

So very good and what a ending. You left me wondering what is going to happen next. Great cliff-hanger.

I will recommend this book. I give it 5 stars.

ReadingPatti

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti:  I so agree that the issues discussed could relate to any era (almost).  I too can't wait to get my hands on the next series.