Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

Hello All,

We are fortunate to have both Jillian Larkin and her editor Wendy Loggia joining us on the board for First Look. This is a separate thread to make it a little easier to track questions and answers you might have specifically for Jillian. Welcome Jillian! Thanks for joining us in discussing your book!.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

Welcome again, Jillian! It is good to read your comments in the discussion. I know that as an author you hope that people will love your characters and book, but did you expect the response you are getting here? Also, did you expect the twists and turns that we are taking in speculating who did what and where it is going to shake out? Thank you for the opportunity to read your book and thank you for letting us know there will be at least one sequel! I can't wait to read the last section. :smileyhappy:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian, I'm going to ask/comment to you the same I did to Wendy.

As a general rule I don't reach for a novel when there's a YA attached to it. Now in my humble opinion this novel is far more sophisticated than any YA I've read and even though the characters are all teens, well most of them anyway I think this would fit right in with all the other adult fiction.

So why is it in the YA genre.

Thanks again for being here with us and discussing the new novel, I LOVE IT!!

Author
Jillian-Larkin

DSaff wrote:

Welcome again, Jillian! It is good to read your comments in the discussion. I know that as an author you hope that people will love your characters and book, but did you expect the response you are getting here? Also, did you expect the twists and turns that we are taking in speculating who did what and where it is going to shake out? Thank you for the opportunity to read your book and thank you for letting us know there will be at least one sequel! I can't wait to read the last section. :smileyhappy:

Thank you! I certainly didn't expect the response to the book to be so overwhelmingly positive but am excited that it has been. I would say Gloria and Clara are far easier to like than Lorraine, so I'm not surprised when people gravitate towards those two over Lorraine. And I'm glad to see that Clara has emerged as a lot of people's favorite character. She's very much the sort person I wish I had been at eighteen. Despite the fact that she's lying about her identity, she knows herself far better than Gloria or Lorraine, I think.

I've enjoyed the mixed opinions on Lorraine. I hope people will at least sympathize with her rejections (being in love with a boy who won't love you back, drifting apart from a best friend, etc.), if not with the way she chooses to deal with those rejections.  I've been intrigued by the comments about the boys. The idea that Marcus is possibly the most free character in the book is an interesting one, and one that I hadn't really considered.

It's been great watching everyone's predictions! A lot of great ones about ways Marcus, Carlito, and Bastian might have been involved in the Cad's cryptic notes. It's wonderful to read these, especially since I'm revising the rough draft of INGÉNUE right now and trying to make sure the twists in that book are as effective. Finding out which twists in VIXEN work for readers and which ones don't is invaluable to me.

Thanks so much for reading! And I can confirm that there will be TWO sequels. The second book is INGÉNUE and the third book will be entitled DIVA.

B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian!

I really enjoyed reading your book, and will eagerly recommend it in my store. I know in the back of the book, it states that your interest in the 1920s began at childhood. What is it about this time period that attracts you? This is the first time I've read a book that takes place in this era, and it definitely brought something new to my literary table.

Author
Jillian-Larkin

dhaupt wrote:

As a general rule I don't reach for a novel when there's a YA attached to it. Now in my humble opinion this novel is far more sophisticated than any YA I've read and even though the characters are all teens, well most of them anyway I think this would fit right in with all the other adult fiction.

Hi! Thank you for the compliments, and you raise a good point. When I originally came up with the idea, I wasn't sure if the book would be young adult or adult. But then I thought about what the 1920's meant to me: A sense of intense rebellion and of being misunderstood by the previous generation, a desire to live like you might die tomorrow ... that's being a teenager.

While I love Gloria, Lorraine, and Clara, they're all a long way form figuring out who they truly are. I'm glad that the book has potential to crossover to an adult audience. But I think both the period and the girls' struggles with boys and societal/parental expectations are definitely things to which teens can relate.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I'm so happy to read that there will be at least two sequels to The Vixen, I am really enjoying your story and the time period you chose. 

Will all of the characters in The Vixen be in the books, or will you be introducing new characters and getting rid of characters?  I know that Lorraine is not a favorite of many people, but I'd like to see where she ends up. 

Thank you for sharing your book with us.  I don't usually pick up YA books and I would have hated to miss out on yours. 

Author
Jillian-Larkin

melissas wrote:

Hi Jillian!

I really enjoyed reading your book, and will eagerly recommend it in my store. I know in the back of the book, it states that your interest in the 1920s began at childhood. What is it about this time period that attracts you? This is the first time I've read a book that takes place in this era, and it definitely brought something new to my literary table.

Hi Melissa! Yes, the Jazz Age had been a lifelong love affair for me. Partly, it's the clothes and the music. I'm continuously in awe of the amount of work that went into clothing back then. There were entire Houses in Paris, filled with seamstresses and designers working themselves to the bone over gorgeous, intricate beadwork. And the music--Bessie Smith, Marion Harris, Jelly Roll Morton, Paul Whiteman, Louis Armstrong, and so many others. My dad's a big fan of jazz and the blues. I definitely inherited that from him.

I also just find the time period so interesting. I think the tagline of the HBO show, Boardwalk Empire, says it well: "Atlantic City, 1920. When alcohol was outlawed, outlaws became kings." Since something illegal was being done by so many--drinking alcohol--I think it helped to shake up a lot preconceived notions about how American Society should be. Suddenly women felt the freedom to hike up their skirts and set their own terms.

And now some classic 1920s book recommendations for a newcomer to that era: Both The Great Gatsby and The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Mrs.. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (it's highly satirical and not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it), and Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis.

Author
Jillian-Larkin

Tarri wrote:

I'm so happy to read that there will be at least two sequels to The Vixen, I am really enjoying your story and the time period you chose. 

Will all of the characters in The Vixen be in the books, or will you be introducing new characters and getting rid of characters?  I know that Lorraine is not a favorite of many people, but I'd like to see where she ends up. 

Thank you for sharing your book with us.  I don't usually pick up YA books and I would have hated to miss out on yours. 

I'm so happy you're enjoying the book! I can confirm that all the main characters in VIXEN will be in INGÉNUE, as well as an additional main character :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, I'm so happy to hear there will be more about these interesting characters in "INGENUE" and can't wait to read on about them all.  Thanks again for joining us in this discussion of VIXEN!

"Open a book and the world is yours"
Scribe
DSaff

Wonderful! Thank you for your reply, Jillian. One last question, will a "Vixen" website be up soon?

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Thank you! I certainly didn't expect the response to the book to be so overwhelmingly positive but am excited that it has been. I would say Gloria and Clara are far easier to like than Lorraine, so I'm not surprised when people gravitate towards those two over Lorraine. And I'm glad to see that Clara has emerged as a lot of people's favorite character. She's very much the sort person I wish I had been at eighteen. Despite the fact that she's lying about her identity, she knows herself far better than Gloria or Lorraine, I think.

I've enjoyed the mixed opinions on Lorraine. I hope people will at least sympathize with her rejections (being in love with a boy who won't love you back, drifting apart from a best friend, etc.), if not with the way she chooses to deal with those rejections.  I've been intrigued by the comments about the boys. The idea that Marcus is possibly the most free character in the book is an interesting one, and one that I hadn't really considered.

It's been great watching everyone's predictions! A lot of great ones about ways Marcus, Carlito, and Bastian might have been involved in the Cad's cryptic notes. It's wonderful to read these, especially since I'm revising the rough draft of INGÉNUE right now and trying to make sure the twists in that book are as effective. Finding out which twists in VIXEN work for readers and which ones don't is invaluable to me.

Thanks so much for reading! And I can confirm that there will be TWO sequels. The second book is INGÉNUE and the third book will be entitled DIVA.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
shmy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Jillian,

Well I already started The Great Gatsby since I am now craving more 1920s. It's hard to ask a question without asking for spoilers!

I love romance in my books, I'm that cheesy. And I always pick a favorite, in the case of Vixen, my favorite couple was Marcus & Clara, I loved Jerome and Glo too, but for some reason I afraid their romance will not end well because of the era and such. Do you have a favorite couple?

ETA - Ohhh I'm loving the titles so far!

P.S I kind of had a ~feeling~ for Bastian & Lorraine too, but that's just me!

Reader 4
Sickofitcindy
0 Kudos

This isn't a question but rather a compliment. My young adult years are behind me but I really enjoyed your writing style. I thought Vixen was age appropriate but interesting to those of us well past our teenage years. I feel like some YA authors talk down to the reader but I didn't get that feeling when I read this.

Since this is the question forum I'll ask if there's an approximate date for the next book? I know, Vixen is just coming out but I can't wait!

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Jillian -  - - What made you tackle the 'race' issue as you did in this book?  This was a very touchy subject matter for the YA's of the timeframe, but less so with today's teen - at least in some geographic areas I should say.

Thanks 

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Correspondent
TudorRose
0 Kudos

Jillian,

Congratulations on a job well done.  Thank you so much for letting us get a sneak peak.  I am really enjoying Vixen and can't wait for the sequels. 

I don't usually read books that are marketed as YA, but this book has really grabbed my attention and I really care about all the characters (even Lorraine!).  I was wondering if you wrote the book specifically as a YA title or was that was a decision made by your publisher?

Also, you have impeccably researched the time period.  Your descriptions, especially of the clothing and accoutrements are fantastic.  Do you have any go-to reference guides for the period?  Do you collect vintage clothing of this era?

Again, congratulations on the book.  I wish you much success with The Flappers.    

Kimberly from Ohio

"A room without a book is like a body without a soul"
~Marcus Tullius Cicero
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

melissas wrote:

Hi Jillian!

Hi Melissa! Yes, the Jazz Age had been a lifelong love affair for me. Partly, it's the clothes and the music. I'm continuously in awe of the amount of work that went into clothing back then. There were entire Houses in Paris, filled with seamstresses and designers working themselves to the bone over gorgeous, intricate beadwork. And the music--Bessie Smith, Marion Harris, Jelly Roll Morton, Paul Whiteman, Louis Armstrong, and so many others. My dad's a big fan of jazz and the blues. I definitely inherited that from him.

I also just find the time period so interesting. I think the tagline of the HBO show, Boardwalk Empire, says it well: "Atlantic City, 1920. When alcohol was outlawed, outlaws became kings." Since something illegal was being done by so many--drinking alcohol--I think it helped to shake up a lot preconceived notions about how American Society should be. Suddenly women felt the freedom to hike up their skirts and set their own terms.

And now some classic 1920s book recommendations for a newcomer to that era: Both The Great Gatsby and The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Mrs.. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (it's highly satirical and not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it), and Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis.

I just recently started reading Agatha Christie and would like to suggest checking out some of her Tommy and Tuppence books. Better yet, try to get some of the movies. They feature the 1920's era and the mystery adds some spice to the mix.

Agatha Christie's Tommy & Tuppence: Partners in Crime, Set 2

Partners in Crime (Tommy and Tuppence Series)

Good luck with Vixen and the series.

I am really enjoying Vixen and wish you the best!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor
ScrappyMama
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian!

I don't really have a question because most of the things I would ask have already been asked, but I do have to let you know that I LOVE your book!  I am so excited to have been chosen for the First Look and think it's wonderful you have given us this chance.  I love the 1920's as well, thanks largely due to an early obsession with Bonnie and Clyde.   LOL  I cannot wait to read the next two in the series. 

Thanks!

Ashley

Frequent Contributor
All-Things-Stephen-King
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Jillian,

WELCOME!

First I want to say how much I am enjoying everything about this book.  My question is this; do you have any plans for a tour/book signings?  Based on the buzz that's being created by this board there would be some looong lines to meet you and discuss your wonderful book. I am so looking forward to your next book.       

Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

Hey Jillian!

Before Vixen I didnt know much about the 20's time period, except there was lots of dancing and glamour. When I read your book it was so easy to understand without knowing much about that time period-you did a wonderful job of bringing your readers into the setting perfectly leaving enough rom for the imagination.

One of my questions is-Which character came easier to write? Who came to be the toughest? You can tell distinclty which character is which in Vixen, and I wondered if you related to any of them, that they were easier for you to right.

Another question is, When you first began writing Vixen, did you have everything planned out? Has a lot changed in the plot since you began writing to publishing?

And lastly, for fun, if you could go to the 20's period which city would you go? Do you know which city was swinging more?

Sorry its a lot of questions! I want to thank you for allowing all of us to read your fantastic book! And congratulations on your success and all your hard work finally paying off ;] I'm excited to read the next two books in the series!

-Madison

----------------------------------------------
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Hi! Thank you for the compliments, and you raise a good point. When I originally came up with the idea, I wasn't sure if the book would be young adult or adult. But then I thought about what the 1920's meant to me: A sense of intense rebellion and of being misunderstood by the previous generation, a desire to live like you might die tomorrow ... that's being a teenager.

While I love Gloria, Lorraine, and Clara, they're all a long way form figuring out who they truly are. I'm glad that the book has potential to crossover to an adult audience. But I think both the period and the girls' struggles with boys and societal/parental expectations are definitely things to which teens can relate.

Jillian, thanks so much for answering my question and your response makes so much sense to me and I now see where you were going with your thinking, but just remember, don't let the booksellers coral it into just one area it belongs in many.

Good luck and I cant' wait to finish Vixen, yes I'm reading on schedule and I'll be waiting for your next installment.