Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

Vermontcozy wrote:

Good Morning Jillian Thank you for the Link..Have not had time to read the article,but NYT onlne Book Review does have a slightly new layout..There is always hope lol...Been some Buzz on a few sites  about "Vixen" so still Have Good Promo time left and Reviews.. My Broolyn Life was also a Good one..Had many family members from Park Slope..and so many Memories  Still Have Family in "Breezy Point",,,,Will be around before you go..We still have a Whole week to spend with you..Its been great for us.and hope for you as well.... My first Edith Wharton book was 'Ethan Frome"..Imagine..But re read it a few times  and still love the book.  Best Susan

Hi Susan! Park Slope is great--I'm a Fort Greene girl myself. I've actually never read Ethan Frome but I may have to now. I feel an Edith Wharton kick coming on, during which I'll read everything by her I haven't already.

I'm so glad you've had fun on the First Look board these past few weeks. I've had an amazing time! You guys are all so insightful and have helped me to see the plot and characters of VIXEN in ways I never did before. It's been the best possible way to take little breaks from sprucing up the INGÉNUE draft each day. Revisions can be tough, but you guys keep reminding me what I love about reading and writing in the first place. Thanks so much for that.

Best,

Jillian

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

shmy wrote:

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

shmy wrote:

I just saw the cover of Ingenue on Goodreads and I wanted to gush about how lovely it is!!!

I added it to my To-Read pile immediately :smileywink:

Yay! I am so, so in love with the INGENUE cover as well. I would've been sad if a girl wasn't wearing a cloche hat on one of these covers :smileyhappy: Can you believe it's the same model as on the cover of VIXEN?

Oh wow, no I thought she was a different girl, the look is more grown up, I think.

Just finished The Great Gatsby yesteday, I was bawling. It just made me so sad.

Yeah, I always tear up after reading Gatsby too. Not only is it sad in the end for the individual characters, but it just makes such a melancholy commentary overall.
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Jillian,
This was a wonderful read. It was very hard to stop at the sections for discussion. You brought so much information from this era to us.  The characters had depth, flaws, etc, none of them being perfect. But there was always hope for them. I am looking forward to Ingenue.
I have to say Lorraine was a favorite character to me. She made huge mistakes and was naive in so many ways. I think Lorraine brought so much to the story and the interactions with the other characters.  I hope to see her in the next book. Gloria seemed so self-centered and protected in her little world.  I really wonder how she will do in the 'real' world with Jerome.
Thank you for spending the time with us and for the excellent book.  :smileyhappy:

Luanne

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Well put pen and we will both be waiting to read Ingenue..I hope Lorraine does wise up But she is a bit self destructive..She will find her way..We hope..So Glad she will be in NYC to be there for Clara,and put their differences aside..Curious readers that we are...Thank you Jillian for giving us "Vixen"..You now  know.most us,so when we send you a post on your blog,it wll be like visiting with "Old friends"..Best Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

A Stranger in the Kingdom  Hi Jillian  You are in the middle of so much going on What fun..Ethan Frome was Intense and so beautifully written that although at times it could be somewhat depressing..I always had hope ,A Vermont writer "Howard Frank Mosher" has a similair theme at times in his books..,and the one book that stands out is the one I posted..If you liked "To Kill a Mockingbird"..and some of the most endearing characters..have a look..Take care  Susan

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

A Stranger in the Kingdom  Hi Jillian  You are in the middle of so much going on What fun..Ethan Frome was Intense and so beautifully written that although at times it could be somewhat depressing..I always had hope ,A Vermont writer "Howard Frank Mosher" has a similair theme at times in his books..,and the one book that stands out is the one I posted..If you liked "To Kill a Mockingbird"..and some of the most endearing characters..have a look..Take care  Susan

Thank you for the recommendation! I adore TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, so I'm sure I've love this one!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Jillian  I don't like saying GoodBye..You have really touched so many of us with "Vixen"..that knowing we will have some contact with you ,When "Vixen "is released, and during "Ingenue"..Happy Holidays..Please stop by and say Hi..This your Board..We will see your post..if you return.to say Hi.....Talk to you soon...Much Success and Thank you....Susan

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Jillian,
This was a wonderful read. It was very hard to stop at the sections for discussion. You brought so much information from this era to us.  The characters had depth, flaws, etc, none of them being perfect. But there was always hope for them. I am looking forward to Ingenue.
I have to say Lorraine was a favorite character to me. She made huge mistakes and was naive in so many ways. I think Lorraine brought so much to the story and the interactions with the other characters.  I hope to see her in the next book. Gloria seemed so self-centered and protected in her little world.  I really wonder how she will do in the 'real' world with Jerome.
Thank you for spending the time with us and for the excellent book.  :smileyhappy:

Luanne

Hi Luanne,

Thank you! I'm so glad Lorraine was your favorite--I know she can be tough for some to love. I have so much fun writing her. She gives me freedom to be silly in ways I know Clara and Gloria would never be. Lorraine absolutely is in the next book, as are Gloria, Clara, and a new main character. Gloria definitely does learn a thing or two about the "real" world in INGENUE.

Thanks again,

Jillian

Author
Jillian-Larkin

Hi everyone,

So this is my last post on the First Look board. I just want to thank you all so, so much for this wonderful experience. When I first found out I would be able to discuss VIXEN with such a large group of readers, I was amazed, excited, and absolutely terrified.

I'm so new to this situation of writing being my actual career ... I don't feel like a real author yet. I was very, very nervous to be this twenty-two year-old kid trying to speak with any authority amongst a group of experienced readers like you.

Thank you so very much for showing me how silly my fears were. You have been incredibly welcoming and enthusiastic, bringing insights that have helped me see the books in a whole new light. I've been revising a draft of INGENUE throughout this discussion and it has been such a lovely and welcome break to read your kind, intelligent words of encouragement.

So I'll say it a third time: thank you all. It's been a fantastic adventure discussing VIXEN with you--one I will never forget.  I will hopefully go on a traditional book tour when INGENUE comes out and would love to meet you in person at a signing!

Best wishes,

Jillian

Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian--

I, too, loved this book, and enjoyed spending time with you!

I'm sure I will be looking for your next in the series.

As to your comments about Lorraine, it got me to thinking.  I imagine the outside-the-lines characters are much more fun to write for as you can be so much more inventive or creative with them!

All best in your future writing,

Barb

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

Hi Luanne,

Thank you! I'm so glad Lorraine was your favorite--I know she can be tough for some to love. I have so much fun writing her. She gives me freedom to be silly in ways I know Clara and Gloria would never be. Lorraine absolutely is in the next book, as are Gloria, Clara, and a new main character. Gloria definitely does learn a thing or two about the "real" world in INGENUE.

Thanks again,

Jillian

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
deannafrances
0 Kudos

I am not a fan of this time period, so I had a hard time getting "into the book" and I also have been ill, so I may not have given my first trial of reading the best shot.   But eventually, I got into the story and like many I found the interracial  aspect to be very interesting and wondering exactly how hard it would have been for anyone to live like that knowing that I just saw a documentary that said even in the fifties when Sammie Davis Jr. appeared in Las Vegas, they would not let him stay at the Sands and he had to stay downtown.  Do you plan on focusing on  inter racial relationships in the next book?

The main thing that concerned me with this book was there seemed to be alot of drinking--do you think you make drinking and cigarette smoking apear glamorous to today's young adults?

And lastly, why was this book considered to be young adult, I think it is pretty mature subject matter. Is it because you refrained from overt sexual scenes?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian:

Just wanted to comment on the beautiful poster of Vixen hanging in the window at Random House.  I happened to be in NYC this past weekend and was walking by when it caught my eye. I'll be anxiously watching for Ingenue.

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I doubt you will be back to check out this thread, Jillian, but I have to tell you that I let my 82 year old mother read Vixen and she would like you to hurry up and get The Ingenue published.  She can't wait to read the next installment. 

Interesting fact, my mom's name is Lorraine, her sister was Vera, and their mother was Clara.